• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Another random twitter leak.
Obvious fake but leaks like this don't really happen when it comes to smash compared to western internet so just putting out here to make a collection of Japanese leaks if anyone interested.
https://twitter.com/niconico_test_1/status/1073789370606354432

Translation:
I have a real life friend who saw Smash SPs development office said that the statement not making DLC characters yet was a lie.
I didn't listen to him much but he predicted Isabelle so he is believable.
He said there were a character with Akira Toriyama design style and a female fighting game character.
I don't care them I just want Neptune.
So Erdrick, Crono, or Goku (lol) and Chun-Li, Morrigan, or another Female Fighting game character (Asuka? lol).

I frankly disagree with both sides.

Sure fan favorites aren’t necessarily needed anymore due to what Ultimate pulled off already and selling millions.

However, that wouldn’t mean they have no value in making them DLC. Geno, Isaac, and the others could make a good profit simply since a lot of people are very likely interested in buying them. Bonus points for reviving someone like Isaac since you could potentially pull a franchise into the spotlight along with them.

You can argue how can favorites aren’t needed, but there is still merit for including them.
I think you're misinterpreting the point.

The point is that Nintendo can't listen to every fan request, nor do they have an obligation to do so. Not that they shouldn't add in fan requests at all.

The other point is that Nintendo has other bases to cater to besides the core Smash fanbase, which is why picks like Geno aren't as big as people make them out to be.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Passion towards a character can only go so far in the Corporate Realm unless it's large enough to affect business on a wide scale, like in the case of King K. Rool, whose popularity was too large to be ignored.

>Chun-Li became Ken
>Xenother's Chun-Li claim was actually right
>Lloyd and Yuri in the planning stages
>Lloyd vs. Yuri claim is also right
That's a rumor from Japan right? That really lines up with what Xenother and Polarpanda said so far. There's still that possibility that post is just mainly piggybacking the current insider info though.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You know, maybe it might not be a very smart idea for me to do, but if Katalina were announced, I'd say that Twitter comment was legit just because Granblue's getting a fighting game.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That's a rumor from Japan right? That really lines up with what Xenother and Polarpanda said so far. There's still that possibility that post is just mainly piggybacking the current insider info though.
Nah it was an English leak, it was posted by @Onereasonanddone at some point earlier today.
It is indeed piggybacking.

You know, maybe it might not be a very smart idea for me to do, but if Katalina were announced, I'd say that Twitter comment was legit just because Granblue's getting a fighting game.
**** man if Katalina is announced I may straight up cry of joy
Also what comment

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I get irrationally angry when I hear Granblue brought up. The drop off in quality for third parties would be ****ing astounding with an inclusion from that. For all of the characters i think deserve a chance despite their origins and situations, Katalina and Gran Blue is where I draw a hard line. Just please no.

Anyways, I’m so sad Slime has no real shot... seriously, would have been the most interesting pick on this entire list in terms of making a unique move set... and he’s goddamn adorable... and the most consistent rep from Dragon Quest as well.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I get irrationally angry when I hear Granblue brought up. The drop off in quality for third parties would be ****ing astounding with an inclusion from that. For all of the characters i think deserve a chance despite their origins and situations, Katalina and Gran Blue is where I draw a hard line. Just please no.

Anyways, I’m so sad Slime has no real shot... seriously, would have been the most interesting pick on this entire list in terms of making a unique move set... and he’s goddamn adorable... and the most consistent rep from Dragon Quest as well.
You kidding me?
Even though I myself rule him out, he has a shot.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So this may be of interest if you. Credit to Icedragonadam Icedragonadam

So Vergeben just commented about the supposed behind the scenes of Joker's reveal.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77344587/914909217

He said pretty much what I've been speculating since that latest Sakurai column in Famitsu.
Verg seems to believe that the idea of Joker being revealed was actually last minute and the SE Rep was originally meant to be revealed at The Game Awards instead.

He‘s hinting at Dragon Quest since I believe DQ11 got a nomination and it’s isn’t popular here.

It sorta makes sense, and I find it easier to believe that they had more work on that SE Rep and were probably ready to reveal a gameplay trailer instead for that character seeing how it was discussed for a long time.

I feel that the SE Rep is coming closer than we may initially think and is actually closer to being finished and in a playable state, at least more than Joker.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, Granblue Fantasy is a huge series in Japan. Yeah, it's not so huge worldwide. Like, it's ginormous there. It having a major character isn't even that odd. Though I don't think it's that likely unless their intentions is to help sell it to the West, like Marth and Roy for Fire Emblem.

The hate seems misplaced, honestly. It's a great series. It's just not easily available worldwide. I can understand not wanting a character who isn't available worldwide yet. Or not wanting someone who doesn't interest you. But there's nothing to be furious about at all, really.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
You kidding me?
Even though I myself rule him out, he has a shot.
Which part of my post are you asking "You kidding me" to?

I thought the general consensus was Slime had no shot? Or have I misread this thread? He just seems to have the least going for him of the characters on this list from what I've seen. Which, again, is a damn shame if true. He's also kind of always felt like a long shot tbh, but an adorable one.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Which part of my post are you asking "You kidding me" to?

I thought the general consensus was Slime had no shot? Or have I misread this thread? He just seems to have the least going for him of the characters on this list from what I've seen. Which, again, is a damn shame if true. He's also kind of always felt like a long shot tbh, but an adorable one.
"You kidding me" to you completely counting Slime out.
Slime does have the least going for him out of the list, but he's not totally 100% out. Still a bit of a chance for him.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So this may be of interest if you. Credit to Icedragonadam Icedragonadam

Verg seems to believe that the idea of Joker being revealed was actually last minute and the SE Rep was originally meant to be revealed at The Game Awards instead.

He‘s hinting at Dragon Quest since I believe DQ11 got a nomination and it’s isn’t popular here.

It sorta makes sense, and I find it easier to believe that they had more work on that SE Rep and were probably ready to reveal a gameplay trailer instead for that character seeing how it was discussed for a long time.

I feel that the SE Rep is coming closer than we may initially think and is actually closer to being finished and in a playable state, at least more than Joker.
DQ11 is popular, or at the very least it's doing well. The reason it lost is because Monster Hunter World was shoe horned into the best RPG category.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Probably fake but translation would be cool. Not a bad line up either.
12 名無しさん必死だな[sage] 2018/12/09(日) 23:03:46.72 ID:g2iNILpgd

1 ジョーカー
2019年前半にP5Rが発売される

2 エルドリック(ロトの海外名)
カラバリにアンルシアやイレブンも
2019年にDQ11Sの発売だけでなくDQ過去作も発売される
海外でDQを売り出すため(DQ11Sは海外任天パブ)

3 リュウハヤブサ
忍者龍剣伝30周年でプロジェクトが動いてる
2019年にソフトが出る(新作かは不明)

4 スティーブ
E3 2019で発表予定
カラバリにアレックスやチーフスキンも
本来はベースのゲームで参戦予定だったが
ダンジョンズの宣伝との兼ね合いでDLCになった

5 マリン(DOOMの海兵隊)
E3 2019で発表予定
カラバリにDOOM 64版のコスも
DOOM Eternalの宣伝も兼ねて

Translation:
1 Joker
P5R will be released in the first half of 2019.

2 Erdrick (Roto's name overseas)
Anlucia and Eleven (Luminary's name in Japan) as pallet swaps.
Not just DQ11S but past DQ series will be released in 2019.
He's in to promote DQ franchise overseas (DQ11S will be published by Nintendo).

3 Ryu Hayabusa
There is a project on going for Ninja Gaiden's 30th anniversary.
New game comes out in 2019 (not sure it's brand new or not).

4 Steve
He will be announced in E3 2019.
Alex and Master Chief skin as pallet swaps.
He was supposed to be in the base roster but sent to the DLC for Minecraft Dungeons' promotion.

5 Marine (from DOOM)
DOOM 64 costume as pallet swap.
Promotion for DOOM Eternal.

https://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1544363780/

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

1 ジョーカー
2019年前半にP5Rが発売される

2 エルドリック(ロトの海外名)
カラバリにアンルシアやイレブンも

3 リュウハヤブサ
忍者龍剣伝30周年でプロジェクトが動いてる
2019年にソフトが出る(新作かは不明)

4 スティーブ
E3 2019で発表予定
カラバリにアレックスやチーフスキンも
本来はベースのゲームで参戦予定だったが
ダンジョンズの宣伝との兼ね合いでDLCになった

5 マリン(DOOMの海兵隊)
E3 2019で発表予定
カラバリにDOOM 64版のコスも
DOOM Eternalの宣伝も兼ねて

Translation:
1 Joker

3 Ryu Hayabusa

4 Steve
He was supposed to be in the base roster but sent to the DLC for Minecraft Dungeons' promotion.

5 Marine (from DOOM)

http://toro.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/famicom/1544237351
This predates the other 5ch leak.

Interesting.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
4 Steve

5 Marine (from DOOM)
Aaaaaannnnddd... There's the possibility killer right there. Comprising the Pass in such a way that everyone will know who's in by E3. Way to ruin what were otherwise sensible choices for characters. And if by some miracle, it becomes real, then congrats Nintendo! You're terrible organizing DLC announcements, unless the whole "everyone will be done by February 2020" was just a precaution like those redeemable DLC codes that don't expire until unrealistic dates.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Another thing regarding DQ talked a lot in Japan is DQ11 producer Yosuke Saito's suspicious behaviors.
The big one was back in November, he was keep talking about smash in their DQB2 live stream show.
Also Sakurai's sudden reply to Tsubaki Ayana, MC of DQ shows, when she was tweeting about Joker reveal was a popular topic too.
After Joker reveal people noticed Sakurai was always hinting SMT/Persona in very obvious way, so they started to take his tweets more seriously.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
So I looked for the 5chan post with Erdrick and the DOOM leak predates it by just six hours. Interesting. It should probably be considered real if Ryu is the next character after Erdrick.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

1 ジョーカー
2019年前半にP5Rが発売される

2 エルドリック(ロトの海外名)
カラバリにアンルシアやイレブンも

3 リュウハヤブサ
忍者龍剣伝30周年でプロジェクトが動いてる
2019年にソフトが出る(新作かは不明)

4 スティーブ
E3 2019で発表予定
カラバリにアレックスやチーフスキンも
本来はベースのゲームで参戦予定だったが
ダンジョンズの宣伝との兼ね合いでDLCになった

5 マリン(DOOMの海兵隊)
E3 2019で発表予定
カラバリにDOOM 64版のコスも
DOOM Eternalの宣伝も兼ねて

Translation:
1 Joker

3 Ryu Hayabusa

4 Steve

5 Marine (from DOOM)

if this is real as said by no osanishi desperate from that thread The train is thrusting with tremendous opportunities

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
tenor.gif
Wait, what? Is this suggesting that the rest of the series will be released on Switch?

Oh, please be real! Pretty please with sugar on top? Don't do this to me!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think Verge knows how animation works, that or the decision to reveal Joker wasn't that "last-minute"
"Nintendo got Production IG to put together that anime trailer on short notice because it was something they could do that made more sense for reveal at The Game Awards despite Joker's production status being early in."
That trailer would have to be made at least a month in advance, and that's being generous considering how clean and smooth it was.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well, these new leaks are fascinating. The DOOM leak wouldn't be my dream lineup or anything but considering I got Joker I'd be a fool not to want it anyway. Solid, awesome selection of characters.

I also am intrigued by the Toriyama/"female fighter" leak. Erdrick (or Crono) and possibly Chun-Li? I'm interested.

ITS HAPPENING BOYS
If I have to lose Phoenix Wright to get Joe...so be it.
I wouldn't mind either. In fact, I would easily buy any Capcom character if they're made.
That's the thing, really. Phoenix may be my boy because of how important his series is to me, but Capcom has made so many amazing characters and games that I absolutely love that I want them all in. I wouldn't even say no to an exclusively Street Fighter pass because of how much I love Chun and Bison and stuff.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

1 ジョーカー
2019年前半にP5Rが発売される

2 エルドリック(ロトの海外名)
カラバリにアンルシアやイレブンも

3 リュウハヤブサ
忍者龍剣伝30周年でプロジェクトが動いてる
2019年にソフトが出る(新作かは不明)

4 スティーブ
E3 2019で発表予定
カラバリにアレックスやチーフスキンも
本来はベースのゲームで参戦予定だったが
ダンジョンズの宣伝との兼ね合いでDLCになった

5 マリン(DOOMの海兵隊)
E3 2019で発表予定
カラバリにDOOM 64版のコスも
DOOM Eternalの宣伝も兼ねて

Translation:
1 Joker

3 Ryu Hayabusa

4 Steve

5 Marine (from DOOM)

Let's remember that Bethesda has come out and said that Nintendo has talked Smash Brothers with them in an official interview. Why is that important? Well, Wayforward games who is one of the more interactive companies with its fans when it comes to their creation (in this cause Shante) in Smash was forced to be dead silent about her inclusion.... and she is a spirit.

Why would Bethesda... a far bigger company then Wayforward is, be able to downright say that they have talked about it if the dotted line was signed for a character? There is something called NDA for a reason and saying that you have been talking if that line was signed would break it

I don't think Verge knows how animation works, that or the decision to reveal Joker wasn't that "last-minute"
"Nintendo got Production IG to put together that anime trailer on short notice because it was something they could do that made more sense for reveal at The Game Awards despite Joker's production status being early in."
That trailer would have to be made at least a month in advance, and that's being generous considering how clean and smooth it was.
Yeah, Production IG might be one of the most skilled studios when it comes to animation, but there is no way in hedgehog that they would be able to do that one last minute. Also where did he write that?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let's remember that Bethesda has come out and said that Nintendo has talked Smash Brothers with them in an official interview. Why is that important? Well, Wayforward games who is one of the more interactive companies with its fans when it comes to their creation (in this cause Shante) in Smash was forced to be dead silent about her inclusion.... and she is a spirit.

Why would Bethesda... a far bigger company then Wayforward is, be able to downright say that they have talked about it if the dotted line was signed for a character? There is something called NDA for a reason and saying that you have been talking if that line was signed would break it

Yeah, Production IG might be one of the most skilled studios when it comes to animation, but there is no way in hedgehog that they would be able to do that one last minute. Also where did he write that?
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77344587/914909217

Like, anime episodes of 22 minutes take months to produce, this may have been a short trailer but all the pre-production, storyboarding, actual animation, calling in both the Japanese and English voice actors , and anything that has to be touched up after it and so on and on takes a lot of time. I'd be inclined to believe this was done in a 3 month period ever since Nintendo asked for the trailer up until the point it was finalized.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

1 ジョーカー
2019年前半にP5Rが発売される

2 エルドリック(ロトの海外名)
カラバリにアンルシアやイレブンも

3 リュウハヤブサ
忍者龍剣伝30周年でプロジェクトが動いてる
2019年にソフトが出る(新作かは不明)

4 スティーブ
E3 2019で発表予定
カラバリにアレックスやチーフスキンも
本来はベースのゲームで参戦予定だったが
ダンジョンズの宣伝との兼ね合いでDLCになった

5 マリン(DOOMの海兵隊)
E3 2019で発表予定
カラバリにDOOM 64版のコスも
DOOM Eternalの宣伝も兼ねて

Translation:
1 Joker

3 Ryu Hayabusa

4 Steve

5 Marine (from DOOM)

I don't know if it's a trendy videogame industry thing, but given that Ryu Hayabusa is a Japanese name, the fact that it's written in Katakana (which is always used for foreign names and words) rubs me the wrong way.

Also I'm on the Side of the fence that believes that the animated trailer for Joker was in fact possible to animate at the last minute. As a 2D animation aficionado, and having worked on several personal projects (mostly frame by frame) Given the right software, and talent, that could have been whipped up between 3 weeks and a month.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't know if it's a trendy videogame industry thing, but given that Ryu Hayabusa is a Japanese name, the fact that it's written in Katakana (which is always used for foreign names and words) rubs me the wrong way.

Also I'm on the Side of the fence that believes that the animated trailer for Joker was in fact possible to animate at the last minute. As a 2D animation aficionado, and having worked on several personal projects (mostly frame by frame) Given the right software, and talent, that could have been whipped up between 3 weeks and a month.
Seems to me that the problem with a trailer like this is more scheduling voice actors.
Can't really do that at the last minute.

Also I don't think they're going to announce 2 Western focused characters at E3.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

3 weeks to a month (at the very minimum) is still a considerable amount of time for Nintendo to at least know that Joker was going to be the 1st DLC character.

At the latest, they would’ve decided this around the time Sakurai tweeted the finalization of the DLC characters and the fact that Nintendo chose the DLC.

Any longer than that would put this decision during base roster speculation, when DLC wasn’t confirmed yet.

So either way, they’ve known that Joker would be 1st for a considerable amount of time.

And in the end, no one found out.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Like, anime episodes of 22 minutes take months to produce, this may have been a short trailer but all the pre-production, storyboarding, actual animation, calling in both the Japanese and English voice actors , and anything that has to be touched up after it and so on and on takes a lot of time. I'd be inclined to believe this was done in a 3 month period ever since Nintendo asked for the trailer up until the point it was finalized.
Exactly. that trailer alone, no matter who the square rep is (if we are getting one at all.. honestly at this point I wouldn't be surprised if we are not getting on.) pretty much shows that they didn't do a bait and switch. Heck. if anything it would have been better for them to just take off the bandage and reveal it would the Square rep been the original plan for VGA. I mean, they didn't do a bait and switch with Incineroar, the Bellmonts, Isabelle etc so why would they start doing so now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I highly doubt Joker's trailer was done that quickly last minute in itself. Especially as noted, with voice actors needed too. It takes planning. Now, I could see that many trailers were already done by that point and they switched the original character planned out for Joker instead since it would work better at VGA overall. But only if a ton of stuff was ready. It still sounds farfetched, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. To be honest, this sounds a lot like guesswork on Verge's part. A last-minute switch sounds realistic, but only if a lot of the work was done on at least both Joker's and the SE's rep's trailer. Otherwise, no, it's just an explanation he feels fits, but he doesn't really understand the trailer planning well enough.

If you look at Smash 4 having the Lucina/Robin trailer instead of Shulk's, there's no way both weren't finished by that point. Things like switching out different trailers for another are possible. It's also possible the person only heard ideal plans that were changed before the actual reveal. But many of those trailers were likely done pretty early on, like Palutena's was likely done before Lucina/Robin's, which explains partially why Dark Pit is unmentioned and a cameo(compared to Lucina who is outright noted properly). It's not when the trailer releases. It's when it was made. Joker's trailer could've been created after the SE's character's was. It doesn't mean the SE's character's trailer would necessarily go up first.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

If Nintendo decides to go the mobile game route for 3rd Party DLC (which you really shouldn’t rule out at this point), Granblue is one of the few games that actually makes sense to get representation.

3 reasons:
-The game is INSANELY popular in Japan, and it’s still going strong after 4 years.
-With Granblue Fantasy Versus and Relink coming in 2019 and beyond, it’s clear that Cygames is pushing Granblue into the general gaming market.
-Nintendo actually owns 5% of Cygames due to both of them working together on Dragalia Lost

So if we do get someone from a mobile game, don’t be surprised if it’s a Granblue/Cygames character. It’s probably the most likely outcome for getting a mobile rep, which is something we have to take into serious consideration since Nintendo is now part of that market.

As for Slime, there’s been no deconfirmation yet. Nothing we’ve discussed here has been proven true. Slime still has a chance.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/忍者龍剣伝#登場キャラクター
https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/doa6/chara_hayabusa.html
Ryu Hayabusa is always written in katakana since his story takes place in America in the original game.
And katakana is not only used for foreign names and words. There are old Japanese people with katakana names too.

https://twitter.com/p_kouhou/status/892656612246040576
Or maybe Sakurai's relationship with Persona 5 was starting from here all along.

Last edited:
Top Bottom