• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think the last thing se want is to put the insiders under even more pressure than they're already in. I hope nobody goes overboard with this that would cost them their job.
It's fun to speculate, and try to zero-in on the answer. But i'll just take what we're given.

Granted, and hopefully understandably, I'm still skeptical. Like they said, not because I doubt insiders, but because we (ok, I) can't be sure if the leaked info isn't leakbait.

Although I do find 3 DQ characters, and Crono being on the same list suspicious...
Quick reminder on the 3 DQ situation;

Slime was heard by literally 1 dude. He really shouldn't be part of the 7.

Luminary is apparently almost always heard with Erdrick.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Polar, we really aren't trying to put you and other leakers down, or at least I'm not, but... you can't really blame people for being skeptical. I'm thinking we're definitely getting Erdrick myself and putting my money on it, but even then, it's hard not to question things a little. It's not that we think insiders aren't trustworthy. They're trying to share the info they know. We just don't know just how legitimate the info is, not because of the insiders and their sources, but because of what could potentially be fed to people as leakbait. A lot of things line up, don't get me wrong, but I see healthy reason to not go all in on it yet.

Also, I've definitely, uh... noticed a bit of aggression in your posting lately? Forgive me if I'm overreacting, but lately, your posts have definitely been way more on the defensive side. I understand the insiders' perspectives in terms of how this might personally feel to them, and I know they're your friends, but there is really nothing wrong with debating this, and this post makes it feel like skepticism is inherently wrong to adopt. It's... seriously nothing personal? What's wrong with discussing things instead of blindly believing? Tempering expectations should always be first and foremost, lest anyone end up incredibly disappointed at the end because things didn't go as expected.
I don’t think that Polar has been anymore defensive than usual, which mostly had come down to explaining his viewpoints and making sure his words are being understood.

And I seriously agree with the viewpoint of using the “on screen” to not be nearly as contentious and as final as people are making it out to be. This hasn’t officially been translated and as someone who does a decent amount of translation myself (though I’m doing translations with Russian), you can very easily make super minor translation mistakes that change meaning significantly. Or stuff just has a different meaning when it comes down to what that means in another language. This isn’t official language and that’s such a small thing that we don’t know intent behind or how that’s being used. It’s just not enough to be conclusive on its own without additional information.

I think that’s what Polar is getting at, and that a big reason for believing in this leak has been the overall sentiments of what the other insiders have heard. He’s saying, “Don’t discredit this just yet with this line of thinking.” Polar has been consistently the most down to earth guy when it comes to his info, lets not push him to being seriously defensive. He’s defensive by nature of trying to be clear and logical as to why he thinks the way he does.

And for reference, I don’t think the leak is real. I just think that the reality of the leak changes nothing. Dragon Quest makes way too much sense the more I look at it, and if all the insiders are hearing that name, and have been hearing that name, then I think it’s certainly the most likely pick on this list.

The whole leakbait also is an issue I think this community loves to turn to when things don’t look great. Do we know that companies use leakbait? Yes. Is there any real reason to make assumptions of what is and isn’t leakbait? Not really. It’s an interesting discussion of what would a company choose to use as leakbait and if they would go for certain choices as leakbait, for sure. But at a certain point I also think that this much smoke means fire.

Leakbait is also a super conevenient way to shut down discussion because just absolutely nothing can be done at that point. All you can say to that claim is “maybe” or “I think it is or isn’t.” And the conversation pretty much dies there. So I also don’t personally like ever bringing it up and think that can lead to the stagnation of the conversation.

D

Deleted member

If we are being fair, from the previous comments of PolarPanda, the only ones competing would be Erdrick, Luminary, Crono and Slime. As Sora's elimination was the reason why Krono posted the list and that both Sephiroth and Geno come from an unreliable source that is probably trolling Verge.

If you remove Slime due to only being from one source, we would have 2 heavily mentioned DQ characters vs Crono and at this point. And if Slime ends up being a part of Erdrick's moveset that would technically make the 3 DQ reps being in some form.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Leak lines up with what everybody has heard
Most going all in on it, Verge almost going all in on it
60% of the leak already confirmed, Erdrick and Mementos being the only unconfirmed stuff so far

I don't see how "he said Slime and Jack Frost would be on screen, so it's fake" legitimately negates the many things pointing to this leak being real. That sounds like semantics. Many, MANY people would know how his moves would work and what would 'show up on screen'. [I am NOT leaking in this post, please nobody twist my words again :) ]
Eh, no one's infallible.
Though, we've seen this type of song and dance before with some leaks. Most stuff gets right, but some extra baggage turns out, just not to be.

Now, if this had been showcased before Joker's reveal, we wouldn't be as skeptical likely, but considering the factors at play, no insider saw it coming beforehand reportedly.

Lord knows, I can see why Verg certainly isn't all in on this one. Heck, some of the bigger guns like Ryce don't seem in on it, and we've got him doubting the Minecraft stuff already from Verg. And reminder, outside of anything that wasn't Smash Ultimate's base roster, Verg's track record has been poor.

Heck, even before his streak, he got a faulty source which suggested Phoenix Wright, Tails, Zero and Noctis would've been in, and look what happened.

Don't see why that couldn't be just as tragically the case here.

When it comes to Square, I'm beginning to think that a lot of these commonly heard folks or spotlight picks wierd as Slime, are less likely, unless Square all of a sudden got really lax with the info security.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If we are being fair, from the previous comments of PolarPanda, the only ones competing would be Erdrick, Luminary, Crono and Slime. As Sora's elimination was the reason why Krono posted the list and that both Sephiroth and Geno come from an unreliable source that is probably trolling Verge.

If you remove Slime due to only being from one source, we would have 2 heavily mentioned DQ characters vs Crono and at this point. And if Slime ends up being a part of Erdrick's moveset that would technically make the 3 DQ reps being in some form.
From what I understand Geno's still in the running and the only thing against him is one of Verge's sources stating not to take him seriously for personal reasons?
Haven't heard a thing for Seph either. I understand why we feel Sora may be out but not those two.

Eh, no one's infallible.
Though, we've seen this type of song and dance before with some leaks. Most stuff gets right, but some extra baggage turns out, just not to be.

Now, if this had been showcased before Joker's reveal, we wouldn't be as skeptical likely, but considering the factors at play, no insider saw it coming beforehand reportedly.

Lord knows, I can see why Verg certainly isn't all in on this one. Heck, some of the bigger guns like Ryce don't seem in on it, and we've got him doubting the Minecraft stuff already from Verg. And reminder, outside of anything that wasn't Smash Ultimate's base roster, Verg's track record has been poor.

Heck, even before his streak, he got a faulty source which suggested Phoenix Wright, Tails, Zero and Noctis would've been in, and look what happened.

Don't ser why that couldn't be just as tragically the case here.
When it comes to Square, I'm beginning to think that a lot of these commonly heard folks or spotlight picks wierd as Slime, are less likely, unless Square all of a sudden got really lax with the info security.
I feel that.

Interesting how after months of playing the guessing game with Squenix reps all this info is suddenly out there. Makes me a bit skeptical.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly I think the 5ch leak is just a legit leak for Persona stuff disguised with fake smash stuff to draw attention away from the real leak. Maybe the Joker stuff is real too, idk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Honestly I think the 5ch leak is just a legit leak for Persona stuff disguised with fake smash stuff to draw attention away from the real leak. Maybe the Joker stuff is real too, idk.
Why would they do anything to draw attention away?
If they didn't want attention on their leak they wouldn't have put it out there.

D

Deleted member

Why would they do anything to draw attention away?
If they didn't want attention on their leak they wouldn't have put it out there.
Notice how most sites covering the leak only really focus on the Erdrick bit, with only PersonaCentral talking about the P5 stuff. By drawing attention away, you’re less likely to have Atlus breathing down your back for the leak, or at the very least Atkus might not care as much and hunt you down. Obviously they’re still gonna care, but they might not care as much if nobody is really covering the legit stuff.
Even then, it might not be to draw attention away. Could just be to troll. Or for any other potential reason one might put fake info in a real leak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Haven't heard a thing for Seph either.
Y'know, if there is a Square rep, he's still the one i'm expecting most. This is now another reason for such. I know it sounds crazy, but at this stage, we haven't even seen supposedly what "leak" got SE riled. If there's a leak, it's likely something unknown. If it were Erdrick and it were real, we'd have heard massive rumblings by now.

Out of the Square reps here, Sephiroth, while being insanely popular hasn't been at the center of any of this focus.

In fact, by some he's been deemed impossible, be it for music reasons, supposedly a rule of no two unique third party fighters from the same game/series.

Yet, honestly, if they're planning to wow us as big as they did with Joker, Sephorith is the one out of focus, just for the job.

Imagine, he's big enough for an orchestra to come and play his theme. He'd rock a reveal at a big gaming event. FFVII is coming to the Switch next year.

And with all that's been said, don't even try to say that the majority would see him coming, especially with these Square leaks. And he has several events at which he could be revealed, including Nintendo directs and/or E3.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

From what I understand Geno's still in the running and the only thing against him is one of Verge's sources stating not to take him seriously for personal reasons?
Haven't heard a thing for Seph either. I understand why we feel Sora may be out but not those two.
I was referring to Polar's posts 2021 and 2384 from this very thread which mentioned that the guy saying Geno and Sephiroth is unreliable.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I was referring to Polar's posts 2021 and 2384 from this very thread which mentioned that the guy saying Geno and Sephiroth is unreliable.
No, he was referring to an entirely different source than the one that approached Verge. This was one that made a bunch of other, outlandish claims, and approached Polar (and Fatman, I think?) first. The context is very different. Verge's source and this other, random 'source' are not one and the same.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Nooo what Polar meant there was that a specific leak involving Geno and Seph being the final 2 who may be the Squenix rep was fake.
Not that Geno and Seph themselves were out.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If DQ manages to be leakbait; I'll gladly tip my hat to Square for such successful bait. Personally: I think the sheer fact that DQ has been heard by so many people makes me think it's all the faker tbh. We can have the narrative of "Square, the leakbaiting masterminds who rarely let things slip through the cracks" or we can have "Dragon Quest is Generally agreed on by all insiders", but we cannot have both

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Y'know, if there is a Square rep, he's still the one i'm expecting most. This is now another reason for such. I know it sounds crazy, but at this stage, we haven't stub supposedly what "leak" got SE riled. If there's a leak, it's likely something unknown. If it were Erdrick and it were real, we'd have heard massive rumblings by now.

Out of the Square reps here, Sephiroth, while being insanely popular hasn't been at the center of any of this focus.

In fact, by some he's been deemed impossible, be it for music reasons, supposedly a rule of no two unique third party fighters from the same game/series.

Yet, honestly, if they're planning to wow us as big as they did with Joker, Sephorith is the one out of focus, just for the job.

Imagine, he's big enough for an orchestra to come and play his theme. He'd rock a reveal at a big gaming event. FFVII is coming to the Switch next year.

And with all that's been said, don't even try to say that the majority would see him coming, especially with these Square leaks. And he has several events at which he could be revealed, including Nintendo directs and/or E3.
Honestly Sephiroth was my frontrunner of the 7 before I started paying attention to the Erdrick insiders. He could be saved for E3 I'm betting.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If DQ manages to be leakbait; I'll gladly tip my hat to Square for such successful bait. Personally: I think the sheer fact that DQ has been heard by so many people makes me think it's all the faker tbh. We can have the narrative of "Square, the leakbaiting masterminds who rarely let things slip through the cracks" or we can have "Dragon Quest is Generally agreed on by all insiders", but we cannot have both
You know people were saying this about Incineroar as well, right?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You know people were saying this about Incineroar as well, right?
It's very obvious these are two entirely different situations
If anyone said Nintendo were leakbaiting masterminds who never let things slip through they'd be laughed at, rightfully so. Smash is known to leak, except for the DLC.

Squenix? You listed FFXV and an expansion for FFXIV leaks. First off can you source these because I was unaware. Second, that's two games they're developing themselves.

Smash? They're sending one of their characters over to another game by another company. This stuff doesn't leak. 2B in SC only leaked because of her music still being in the game, which isn't a leak.

I'm not saying I subscribe to what Opti said but I do think it's right to think something slipped through Nintendo over Squenix.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I'd be very down for Sephiroth for a number of reasons.

First of all, arguably most importantly, he'd be 99% certain to come with One-Winged Angel and more Final Fantasy content in general, which would actually be pretty nice with how barren the game is for content in Smash (not even spirits of the five Summons? smh)

Second, he'd break a few conventions about third-party characters. He'd be the first third-party character that isn't playable in their game (save for one flashback scene iirc, but that doesn't really count), as well as the first third-party villain.

And on a sheer scale of 'wow factor', he'd pack an unbelievable punch. One of the most iconic gaming villains of all time, with one of the most iconic video game themes of all time? Even without an original animation or cgi trailer, he'd almost certainly inspire awe with a reveal trailer. Pretty much everyone knows the guy, he's about on the same level of notoriety as villains like Bowser or Eggman, despite the fact he's only the actual villain of one game.

D

Deleted member

how do i explain to people game companies cant play 4d chess with random nerds on the internet google search
This stuff doesn't leak. 2B in SC only leaked because of her music still being in the game, which isn't a leak.
I mean, that's 100% a leak tho

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
how do i explain to people game companies cant play 4d chess with random nerds on the internet google search

I suppose, but not how we usually define leaks, as in "a guy on the internet has sources and says this...and its true"
Whether that's the right definition or not.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
If anyone said Nintendo were leakbaiting masterminds who never let things slip through they'd be laughed at, rightfully so. Smash is known to leak, except for the DLC.
Dude, not to be rude or anything, but were you around here when the Grinch fiasco happened? Or really, any place. There were people that seriously thought Incineroar was a leak bait to trick Vergeben and all insiders. Hell, I'm pretty sure at least one post from here saying that ended up in one of those 4chan post compilations, made to poke fun at everyone who bought the Grinch **** as real.

Also, wishing to ask people here something, now that 2B's being rated in RTC: let's say we do get a Square character, but it's none of the seven guys on the list, which one would you expect? And before anything else, that means no Geno, no Erdrick and no Sora.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Dude, not to be rude or anything, but were you around here when the Grinch fiasco happened? Or really, any place. There were people that seriously thought Incineroar was a leak bait to trick Vergeben and all insiders. Hell, I'm pretty sure at least one post from here saying that ended up in one of those 4chan post compilations, made to poke fun at everyone who bought the Grinch **** as real.

Also, wishing to ask people here something, now that 2B's being rated in RTC: let's say we do get a Square character, but it's none of the seven guys on the list, which one would you expect? And before anything else, that means no Geno, no Erdrick and no Sora.
Neku.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

DLC usually never gets as leaked as the base game for most games, and that includes Smash.

With DLC, companies have much more control at managing how their information gets out, which is usually only the development team, programmers that make it available, and some of the higher ups that end up knowing about it.

It’s because of this that insiders have had much less information of who is apart of the fighter pass. At most, insiders can get learn about a couple of things, which for Smash so far is the SE newcomer, but it’s mostly kept tightly wrapped and why we didn’t know about Joker and the other three newcomers.

Last edited:

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
The Persona part of the leak being true doesn’t make the rest more true, the Smash information must come from a different source, not the same from the Persona info. With Sakurai stating that Joker isn’t in a playable state, the chances of someone knowing Erdrick’s moveset, if he’s indeed the next DLC characters, is close to 0%.

D

Deleted member

I suppose, but not how we usually define leaks, as in "a guy on the internet has sources and says this...and its true"
Whether that's the right definition or not.
It's simple: Do you consider the Royu files and the Bloody Tears upload as leaks?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Take a look at my join date lol, I've been here consistently since 8.8 and I witnessed every step of the Grinch fiasco. Big difference between some people thinking Incineroar was leak bait for a week or two when everything pointed to it being otherwise and people thinking Squenix could be leakbaiting when we know they're a protective company to the point where we didn't even know the potential list for months.

It's simple: Do you consider the Royu files and the Bloody Tears upload as leaks?
Damn...good question actually

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Big difference between some people thinking Incineroar was leak bait for a week or two when everything pointed to it being otherwise
If by "some" you mean "most people in different forums", then yes, you're right, but if you really mean "a few" then I can't say I agree. Everyone lost their ****ing minds with the Grinch fiasco, that opening themselves to be wrong was impossible, and if you dared say that Vergeben or Emily could be right, you know what they'd answer to you? That you were a gullible idiot for believing them, and guess who got bitten in the *** by the end of this.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If by "some" you mean "most people in different forums", then yes, you're right, but if you really mean "a few" then I can't say I agree. Everyone lost their ****ing minds with the Grinch fiasco, that opening themselves to be wrong was impossible, and if you dared say that Vergeben or Emily could be right, you know what they'd answer to you? That you were a gullible idiot for believing them, and guess who got bitten in the *** by the end of this.
I mean...no matter what you think of how many people believed that, my point stands.
I dunno why you're ranting about #TeamReal out of nowhere...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Bloody Tears was a leak intentionally done by an intern who leaked that he was going to do that on 4chan. I believe the quote was something along the lines of everyone knowing who the newcomer is when they see the title of the next music post. I remember seeing the original post and then the cap of the "Galaga Medley" but the Royu situation is a really interesting question.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Squenix? You listed FFXV and an expansion for FFXIV leaks. First off can you source these because I was unaware. Second, that's two games they're developing themselves.

Smash? They're sending one of their characters over to another game by another company. This stuff doesn't leak. 2B in SC only leaked because of her music still being in the game, which isn't a leak.

I'm not saying I subscribe to what Opti said but I do think it's right to think something slipped through Nintendo over Squenix.
Here's the rundown on all the FFXIV related leaks, which all turned out to be correct so far: https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/9cvwsk/discussing_the_blufever_leaks/

And, I think it's perfectly possible the leaks could be coming from Nintendo or Bamco, not necessarily SE.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209

I feel that.

Interesting how after months of playing the guessing game with Squenix reps all this info is suddenly out there. Makes me a bit skeptical.
No, I THOUGHT I said this publically before but i probably forgot, but Verge heard Geno is leakbait. Not for personal reasons or not that he wasn't sure on him, he was just straight up told Geno is bait. I got this clarification not too long ago. Initially, seeing 'don't take him seriously', I thought it may have been bias, but he was just trying to put it lightly that he was told it's not Geno. A bit of clarification here.

I'm still not really counting him out personally, but I think it's fair for others to depending on how much weight they put on it. Personally, I want Geno the most.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Here's the rundown on all the FFXIV related leaks, which all turned out to be correct so far: https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/9cvwsk/discussing_the_blufever_leaks/

And, I think it's perfectly possible the leaks could be coming from Nintendo or Bamco, not necessarily SE.
I suppose it's not too out of the question.

But as we've seen with Joker, DLC reps are top secret info; a lot of bait has been thrown around regarding them. I'd be shocked if we know nothing about all of the DLC reps except for Squenix's, who it seems like we know already.

No, I THOUGHT I said this publically before but i probably forgot, but Verge heard Geno is leakbait. Not for personal reasons or not that he wasn't sure on him, he was just straight up told Geno is bait. I got this clarification not too long ago. Initially, seeing 'don't take him seriously', I thought it may have been bias, but he was just trying to put it lightly that he was told it's not Geno. A bit of clarification here.

I'm still not really counting him out personally, but I think it's fair for others to depending on how much weight they put on it. Personally, I want Geno the most.
Man, that sucks.

No idea how any leaker would know that, but I guess that's not for me to know.

D

Deleted member

2B, Royu and Bloody Tears are all leaks, it's not that complicatedm
"(of secret information) become known."
That's it, that's the definition of leak in this context.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I mean...no matter what you think of how many people believed that, my point stands.
You said everyone would laugh at the idea of Nintendo baiting people into thinking something false would happen, which wasn't the case month two months ago.

I dunno why you're ranting about #TeamReal out of nowhere...
It ain't a rant, if it were, I would've been far angrier than that.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
No, he was referring to an entirely different source than the one that approached Verge. This was one that made a bunch of other, outlandish claims, and approached Polar (and Fatman, I think?) first. The context is very different. Verge's source and this other, random 'source' are not one and the same.
And that is how misinformation spreads. Thank you for saving the day and clarifying. :)

The Geno v. Sephiroth stuff was from somebody who I know is a complete nutjob now. Pay it no mind, it has nothing to do with my primary source or Verge/Xenother/Hitagi.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Magolor - 15 votes
Marx being playable despite being a boss would be infinitely better than Magolor, change my mind.

Watch it be 2B and we all get bamboozled.
That wouldn't even be bad ngl. Also I could've sworn that NieR: Automata was on Switch for like a year I'm like 99% sure I've seen my friends playing it.

Also, about the Erdrick leak, yeah I'm super skeptical. Square is immensely protective of information getting out, so leakbait wouldn't surprise me, and on top of that, Dragon Quest is significantly less popular here in the West. What's more, the leak was text based, and we just so happened to hear Erdrick's name exponentially more often than before.

Plus, if the guy who leaked Erdrick was supposedly the "Japanese Vergeben", then that means he knows nothing about the DLC whatsoever :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom