• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
If we're talking Squenix, I've been thinking the Travelers might have a decent shot. Octopath was a huge success, and physical copies were selling like hotcakes all over the world. The thing that would really hurt their chances is lacking the pedigree that games like Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest have. It's still too new a series to have a rabid fanbase.

ZelDan

Smash Master
If we're talking Squenix, I've been thinking the Travelers might have a decent shot. Octopath was a huge success, and physical copies were selling like hotcakes all over the world. The thing that would really hurt their chances is lacking the pedigree that games like Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest have. It's still too new a series to have a rabid fanbase.
I'd say the biggest issue with octopath is, who would you even pick as the playable rep? None of the 8 characters really have more importance or spotlight over another; not to a significant extent anyway.

Not related to SE, but I feel this issue also applies to the BotW champions.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the biggest issue with octopath is, who would you even pick as the playable rep? None of the 8 characters really have more importance or spotlight compared over another; not to a significant extent anyway.

I'd guess a poll for octopath but who knows.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the biggest issue with octopath is, who would you even pick as the playable rep? None of the 8 characters really have more importance or spotlight over another; not to a significant extent anyway.

The idea that I had, and I saw someone else with the same thought, was to give them the Bowser Jr treatment. Each skin would be a different Traveler. Of course, that comes with its own complications, but I'm kinda treating it like they've already found the answer to the problem.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
There are people on Twitter still claiming Geno will get in, not just that this post has such a high Geno count. I know most people are probably realizing claiming he's going to be in is ridiculous, but I had arguments with a couple of people on other platforms lately because they claimed Geno was definitely going to be in because "he's surprising and unexpected". He's not. Also people have been telling me they found Banjo files in Data-mining which... I've looked up multiple times and have seen literally nothing about so if anyone can fill me in on that one, that'd be appreciated haha.
There isn't specifically Banjo code but unused Rare code for Spirits, more importantly, Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
Something is fishy about the japanese leaker:
-He would need to have 2 differents sources to predict the Persona stuff (Atlus source) and the Smash stuff (with the possibility that the Joker part may be from the Persona Leaker)
-Either way, the Erdrick parts needs to be from a separate source
-We have apparently proof that the Persona part is right, makinng the Joker part possibly right if it came from the same source
-But the Erdrick part came from a source that isn’t trustworthy right now
What you guus think?

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Well, I was in the middle of writing a reply, but perfectchaos83 sort of beat me to the punch. I write too slow, lol.

On the topic of Anlucia, she appears in this cute Itadaki Street trailer, so I'll just take the opportunity to post it. It's so cool seeing DQ and FF together.

I love this trailer so much. <3
A pity this game didn't go published overseas. S-E is incredible with doing such stupid decisions regarding simple things.. They have so many great things on their hands, more than any other third party imho, and they manage to be so close-minded, not putting effort into promoting their good games, and taking weird design choices with some of their bigger games. A true pity. S-E isn't Squaresoft, and the company just isn't the same as it was from its humble beginnings until its swan song with FFIX.

ZenithLight

Smash Rookie
Hey, been watching different forums for a while and decided to post some information.
Erdrick is in.
Sora is in.
Erdrick is both male and female like Pokémon Trainer and Corrin. Has colors referencing other DQ characters.
Sora has both KH2 and 3 appearance. Keychain is the smash logo. Completely credited under Disney.
I know nothing of stages, music or movesets.
Future reveals will validate this post.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think the most obvious outcome when flooding with requests is just that they are just going to eventually ignore them. I can imagine that is one of the reasons why they are not doing a ballot this time.
Another reason is that the Smash Ballot is only 3 years old and that data definitely has legs. The big character picks really don't change a whole lot from game to game and people tend to stick with characters until they are confirmed. Case in point, Geno. There's a decent amount of evidence that the data collected from the 2000 poll was used through Brawl and the 2006 Brawl poll was used through Smash 4.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Hey, been watching different forums for a while and decided to post some information.
Erdrick is in.
Sora is in.
Erdrick is both male and female like Pokémon Trainer and Corrin. Has colors referencing other DQ characters.
Sora has both KH2 and 3 appearance. Keychain is the smash logo. Completely credited under Disney.
*pressXtodoubt.jpg*

I mean you've got a band new account and have no source or anything just text, then at the end you say "future reveals will validate this post." It sounds like you're just throwing out guesses hoping that you get lucky and can use that later.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
>That girl on the right

That's secondary material right there. Maybe even co or tri-main.

>Sephiroth walks out of a bank and throws a fat stack of cash to the wind as if he doesn't care.

Never change Sephiroth.

Dragon Quest X and XI are the two most recent editions to the series, and both performed well. It'd be a way to draw in people who don't necessarily know about Erdrick.
So, is this Analucia girl like, the protagonist of DQX?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Erdrick is in.
Sora is in.
5ca.jpg

What a ****ty bait this is

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Erdrick is in.
Sora is in.
That's bull****, but I believe it.

Next you're gonna say that the Dragonborn will be revealed at E3 2019 alongside an announcement that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be released on Nintendo 3DS.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There are people on Twitter still claiming Geno will get in, not just that this post has such a high Geno count. I know most people are probably realizing claiming he's going to be in is ridiculous, but I had arguments with a couple of people on other platforms lately because they claimed Geno was definitely going to be in because "he's surprising and unexpected". He's not.
Considering one of the bedrock arguments regularly made against Geno is that "he's a literal who that only Smash fans care about" he'd have to be surprising and unexpected to most people outside of the Smash community for this statement to be true. He can't occupy both camps. Either he has to be super obscure to general audiences and therefore unpredictable or well known and predictable by these parameters. Like I pointed out yesterday, it honestly doesn't matter because your typical character outside Smash and their respective game fanbase probably isn't going to get a ton of support either. Most character picks aren't like Inkling or Isabelle in which they're immediately recognized by casuals and wanted by them.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
'ey, Square folk! So, my Japanese is absolutely terrible and navigating the Jump Festa website is a hellscape as a result. Anyone know what time the DQ panel for Jump Festa is going to be? I may just decide to tune in.

beans

Smash Lord
'ey, Square folk! So, my Japanese is absolutely terrible and navigating the Jump Festa website is a hellscape as a result. Anyone know what time the DQ panel for Jump Festa is going to be? I may just decide to tune in.
https://gematsu.com/2018/12/square-enix-announces-jump-festa-2019-lineup-stage-schedule
The schedule.
However it seems to be in Japan Timezone

Somewhat related but, I dont really expect anything from Smash there.
Its just too much of a specific event.
Even if Shulk was announced in Japan before everywhere else it still was in a Nintendo Direct and Joker was in a general gaming event.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Not quite sure, but I have a feeling all the dlc in this game will be used to promote something coming out for a nintendo system. So I wouldnt be surprised if P5R is coming. If this is the case, I could see why Sakurai mentioned that all DLC would be decided by Nintendo.
If that's the case, then I would argue that we shouldn't be chocked (for better or worse) if Sylux and/or a Fire emblem Three House rep is DLC.

beans

Smash Lord
If that's the case, then I would argue that we shouldn't be chocked (for better or worse) if Sylux and/or a Fire emblem Three House rep is DLC.
Three House is a lock, NoJ is playing ze cards this time. They were the reason Corrin was DLC.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Three House is a lock, NoJ is playing ze cards this time. They were the reason Corrin was DLC.
Not quite, that's actually a pretty common misconception. Nintendo of Japan requested that Sakurai add a character from a newer game as a promotional pick, yes, but Sakurai was the one to make the choice to add Corrin. By domino effect, yes, they are 'technically' the reason Corrin was DLC, but ultimately, that choice was up to Sakurai.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Erdrick is in.
Sora is in.
That's bull****, but I'll believe that because I was thinking the same thing.

beans

Smash Lord
Erdrick is in.
Sora is in.
Sounds like normal speculation without needing any info to be guessed.

Erdrick alt option already follows a patter with other characters with such divide.
Sora would be with the promotional appearance of KH3 and with the iconic appearance of KH2 (KH2 is regarded as the peak of the series gameplay by the majority, and Sakurai always feature such an incarnation, as seen with Pac-Man not using his modern design)

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
That's bull****, but I'll believe that because I was thinking the same thing.
Hey a Monster Hunter icon! I'll be stealing that thank you very much lol.

That said I reeeeaaaaaally don't think we're getting Sora, not unless they announce KH3 for Switch here soon, which last I heard they don't have any current plans for that. Not to mention they haven't brought any of the compilation games to Switch either. I just don't think it's on their radar.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This may have been mentionned in this thread before, but i'm curious what people think of this "leak", it kind of makes sense. The guy accurate called out Joker it seems too.

https://www.elecspo.com/games/super-smash-bros/crono-in-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-leaks-and-rumors
Yeah, this has been talked about at length before. I wouldn't buy it. Random 4chan text leaks pop up all the time, so it wouldn't be surprising if a couple managed to wildly guess Joker and get it right. It sounds just like a lucky guess to me.

As for the Chrono Trigger data mine, I can't speak for that. I don't know how real that is, especially since some datamines when the game was leaked ended up being wildly faked, as well (i.e. Count Bleck boss).

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
On the topic of people calling Nintendo or Square Enix and demanding that their character be in, Sakurai said this at the start of DLC speculation:

Essentially:
I've said this before; but it's a companies job to take feedback lmao. I don't think we should simply refrain complaining or campaigning just cause Nintendo asks us to. Don't bug Sakurai; but NOJ and NOA are fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice

That said I reeeeaaaaaally don't think we're getting Sora, not unless they announce KH3 for Switch here soon, which last I heard they don't have any current plans for that. Not to mention they haven't brought any of the compilation games to Switch either. I just don't think it's on their radar.
Aye, go right ahead!

Sora's been on Nintendo systems before, so it's not like KH3 NEEDS to show up for him to reasonably join Smash. What is more likely however is KH The Story So Far coming to Switch and Sora potentially being used to promote that instead.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Not quite, that's actually a pretty common misconception. Nintendo of Japan requested that Sakurai add a character from a newer game as a promotional pick, yes, but Sakurai was the one to make the choice to add Corrin. By domino effect, yes, they are 'technically' the reason Corrin was DLC, but ultimately, that choice was up to Sakurai.
If Dragon Quest truly is in, I would argue that it is because Square wants to push DQ and nothing else no matter how legendary this franchise is. If Nintendo really was up to give Square fans the true fan favorites, it would be the likes of Sephiroth, Geno or Sora. If Nintendo is in the mindset of promotional material = DLC, then Fire Emblem should be a no-brainer for them since it's arguably one of the biggest games they have next year+ pushing the franchise to the point of giving it an expo next year.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I've said this before; but it's a companies job to take feedback lmao. I don't think we should simply refrain complaining or campaigning just cause Nintendo asks us to. Don't bug Sakurai; but NOJ and NOA are fair game as far as I'm concerned.
What you're doing isn't feedback. It's harassment.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If Dragon Quest truly is in, I would argue that it is because Square wants to push DQ and nothing else no matter how legendary this franchise is. If Nintendo really was up to give Square fans the true fan favorites, it would be the likes of Sephiroth, Geno or Sora. If Nintendo is in the mindset of promotional material = DLC, then Fire Emblem should be a no-brainer for them since it's arguably one of the biggest games they have next year+ pushing the franchise to the point of giving it an expo next year.
Oh, absolutely, I'm definitely not ruling it out. That being said, though, I mostly wanted to clear up the misconception that Corrin was solely Nintendo's choice, as many people seem to believe. Sakurai had a large hand in that choice. If Nintendo wants to make a promotional pick, though, Fire Emblem is undoubtedly one of their most likely calls there.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I don't get the trend of wanting characters like Gen 8 Pokemon or a new Fire Emblem rep. Part of the satisfaction of seeing a character join smash is the attachment people have to said character. These game's are not out yet; therefore we can't possibly be attached to the characters yet. It makes sense purely from a marketing stand point; and not much else.
What you're doing isn't feedback; it's harassment
I don't think you can judge what I'd hypothetically say to Nintendo without the tweet actually existing, but I suppose I earned this negative reputation.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

And before people say: "But Cloud..."
This time it's Nintendo choosing the characters. So, they might prioritize characters who have a game coming to Nintendo within the next 1-2 years.

Then again, for some reason I think Sora is really likely too. I don't think he fits the "Unexpected and surprising" category. But he's too big worldwide to ignore.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Aye, go right ahead!

Sora's been on Nintendo systems before, so it's not like KH3 NEEDS to show up for him to reasonably join Smash. What is more likely however is KH The Story So Far coming to Switch and Sora potentially being used to promote that instead.
I know he has his spin-offs on Nintendo but the mainline has always been Sony. And while yes the Persona series is the same way there are two big things that are different, the rumored P5 port to Switch and the SMT having a huge history with Nintendo even doing a crossover with Fire Emblem.

I just don't see him getting in over other options that would better benefit Nintendo.

And before people say: "But Cloud..."
This time it's Nintendo choosing the characters. So, they might prioritize characters who have a game coming to Nintendo within the next 1-2 years.

Then again, for some reason I think Sora is really likely too. I don't think he fits the "Unexpected and surprising" category. But he's too big worldwide to ignore.
And even then Cloud was selected to represent the Final Fantasy series so Sora doesn't even fit the same mold as him.

Last edited:

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
Interesting. Did they ever post those videos like they claimed?
It's hard to confirm what he had videos of or who posted what, but I did see a video that talks about a character model of Joker. Might be old news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zglNi1sUmiQ

I'm inclined to believe this leak, as it makes too much sense. New FE character that promotes the next game, but different enough to not be another Marth clone. A neat Metroid character that no one expected. Joker which is already confirmed. It still leaves some leeway which reps will be square and microsoft, but they makes sense, because both of those companies have been known to be on board with it. (plus microsoft has no reps so far.)

Think about it, that person has to accurately guess Joker AND have a list that makes absolute sense. If its fake, its the absolute best thought out fake I've seen. The Nintendo reps already decided what their reps should be. The other two are probably still being decided, as they have to work with the companies in question to figure who and how that character will be implemented.

Last edited:
Top Bottom