• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Man, stuff got intense overnight.

Look, I think everyone is resting on a sleeping giant here. No, it's not Geno. No, it's not Erdrick. No, it's not an FF rep or Crono or even most characters not on the list.

Take a look at this game and who made it.

Yeah, I think he's in. :4pacman:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Gaming history? I've played Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger to death (double digits easily, beating SMRPG was at least an annual tradition for me until around 2010 ), I played about half of FF VII and had to give my cousin back his PlayStation, I beat Kingdom Hearts, Chain of Memories, and II: Goofy's Revenge 100%, and I'm pretty sure I played the GBC port of Dragon Quest III at a friend's house but lost interest and just went back to Pokemon Gold and Silver.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If you could work around his movement issues and looks? It's all fine. There's a fine terraforming moveset in Steve that has yet to be implemented into Smash Bros.

Moveset potential is high. It's just rigging a moveset to that model that's the main issue.
If only Nintendo used the Terraformer that they already own; but Isaac is "a generic protagonist" I guess.

Yeah I'm still not over that, Sakurai.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Can we take a moment to appreciate this piece of music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwwpELp6oaM

The first part is the battle theme of Dragon Quest 3, and it's amazing
DQ 3 battle theme legit sounds straight up like a DBZ fight music. (Irony of Erdrick being a Toriyama's characters)
And it's wonderful, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the inspiration for DBZ's OST with how popular DQ is.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the topic of Dragon Ball, I do think that's an interesting point of discussion when it comes to Dragon Quest. Dragon Ball is a global cultural giant. I don't think people really grasp just how big of a deal it was that Goku made it into the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade this year. There are few things as quintessentially American as it and a Japanese manga character made the cut. That's huge.

Dragon Quest owes a lot of its success in Japan to Dragon Ball but this never really carried over here, even after Dragon Ball started to explode in popularity in the West in the late 90's. As joked about many times, Toriyama style is pretty static and it's really odd that they didn't go full ham pointing this out to Western audiences. Maybe people would have thought it was a weird spinoff ("Goku can shatter planets with a high pitched fart, why would he need a sword?")? I dunno. That's probably why they dropped the "Dragon Warrior" name in the West too; didn't want to pee on the shoes of the Dragon Ball brand and vice versa.

D

Deleted member

On the topic of Dragon Ball, I do think that's an interesting point of discussion when it comes to Dragon Quest. Dragon Ball is a global cultural giant. I don't think people really grasp just how big of a deal it was that Goku made it into the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade this year. There are few things as quintessentially American as it and a Japanese manga character made the cut. That's huge.

Dragon Quest owes a lot of its success in Japan to Dragon Ball but this never really carried over here, even after Dragon Ball started to explode in popularity in the West in the late 90's. As joked about many times, Toriyama style is pretty static and it's really odd that they didn't go full ham pointing this out to Western audiences. Maybe people would have thought it was a weird spinoff ("Goku can shatter planets with a high pitched fart, why would he need a sword?")? I dunno. That's probably why they dropped the "Dragon Warrior" name in the West too; didn't want to pee on the shoes of the Dragon Ball brand and vice versa.
I think you can think historically bad marketing for that lol.
But you're right. It would have made perfect sense to ride the DBZ hype but they didn't.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Personally, I think it'll boil down to either Sora, Slime or Geno. Since I can vote for only 2 I'm going for Sora and Slime since the biggest (nearly only) argument for Geno is his fanbase. Sora and Slime are just more recognizable than all the other candidates (besides maybe Sephiroth). Plus with Kingdom Hearts 3 right around the corner and the sort of recent release of a new dragon quest they are still relevant to the times.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Super Mario RPG and only Super Mario RPG. Considering playing Chrono Trigger. Not very interested in KH, DQ, or FF
Do it. Chrono Trigger is a beautiful game. Wonderful, memorable characters. An absolutely legendary soundtrack. One of the first major RPGs to do away with random encounters. Awesome gameplay. A very engaging story, plus it has like a dozen endings. Speaking of endings, one of them always makes me cry and I can probably count on one hand the number of games that have done this to me (SMRPG being another and there's a whole story attached to that I will share eventually). That particular ending paired with the piece "To Far Away Times" does it for me every single time. Even if you don't know what you're doing, the game is honestly maybe 20 hours but definitely worth your time.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
You know, I have a question for the thread as a whole. Out of the list of character's, which of their games have you played? For me, I grew up on KH and KH2, while I have just recently dove into SMRPG as a result of Smash speculation.
I played them all except DQXI, but I've sadly spoiled myself of the story. ;_;

D

Deleted member

I played them all except DQXI, but I've sadly spoiled myself of the story. ;_;
The whole story?
Regardless, if you're a fan of turn based gameplay it's absolutely worth it... it's basically turn-based gameplay perfected.
Also, DQXI is one of those games where the little moments really make things so great, not just the overall story. There's pretty much no melodrama.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
DQ fans, I want your perspective on something. So I was looking through twitter for more Joker X Smash art when I saw a post discussing the Erdrick leak. They said nothing of note, but the image they used to show Erdrick caught me off gaurd because no one in the pages of discussion this thread had mentioned the fact that there is both a male and female version of Erdrick. So... Would there be alts for both, like Wii Fit, Robin, and Corrin?

D

Deleted member

DQ fans, I want your perspective on something. So I was looking through twitter for more Joker X Smash art when I saw a post discussing the Erdrick leak. They said nothing of note, but the image they used to show Erdrick caught me off gaurd because no one in the pages of discussion this thread had mentioned the fact that there is both a male and female version of Erdrick. So... Would there be alts for both, like Wii Fit, Robin, and Corrin?
Probably. The gender the player selects has no bearings on anything other than potential stats, their proportions are nearly identical as well so that's not an issue.

ZelDan

Smash Master
You know, I have a question for the thread as a whole. Out of the list of character's, which of their games have you played? For me, I grew up on KH and KH2, while I have just recently dove into SMRPG as a result of Smash speculation.
I've played SMRPG dozens of times throughout my life, same thing with Chrono Trigger. FFVII is a game I've also done multiple playthroughs of; not as much as the SMRPG or Chrono Trigger but it is also a longer game, so there's that.

I haven't played the games Erdrick is a part of, nor have I played DQXI. I do have a little experience with the DQ series though through Playing DQVII on the 3DS and getting halfway or maybe a little over halfway through DQVIII on the 3DS.

Never played a Kingdom Hearts game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In Dragon Quest, the main characters are usually dubbed "Hero" and they act as an avatar. They're like Link, Pokemon Trainers, or the Animal Crossing Villagers in the regards that they're silent protagonists. Dragon Quest III is notable because you could choose to be a man or woman at the beginning of the game and is one of the few games in the mainline series where you could do this.

hinode

Smash Cadet

One of the changes made to the international versions of Dragon Quest VIII was that if the hero reached max tension, his bandana would fall off and his hair would spike up to make him like like a Super Saiyan. That was a pretty clear attempt to tie into DBZ's popularity.

At some point down the line Square-Enix decided that this sort of localization change wasn't worth the effort, so the subsequent mobile and 3DS ports of DQ8 don't have it.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Can we all agree upon that it would be quite hilarious if it ends up being the cause of that there is no Square Enix rep/someone else that isn't on the list ala 2B, Noctis, Nekku, Laura Croft you name it considering this conversation?
It would be as hilarious and possible as how Joker's reveal pretty much beat down what most leakers everyone was listening to, were saying.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
One of the changes made to the international versions of Dragon Quest VIII was that if the hero reached max tension, his bandana would fall off and his hair would spike up to make him like like a Super Saiyan. That was a pretty clear attempt to tie into DBZ's popularity.

At some point down the line Square-Enix decided that this sort of localization change wasn't worth the effort, so the subsequent mobile and 3DS ports of DQ8 don't have it.
But weird change that they brought back in DQ heroes where the Male MC do have that Super Sayain hair when high tension

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I think the large disconnect between Japan and America in regards to Dragon Quest is because of Dragon Ball.

Supposedly, Dragon Quest originally blew up in Japan because of Toriyama's art and work on Dragon Ball, which was huge at the time, and sustained itself with a solid franchise.

Dragon Ball hasn't blown up in America until just recently, with Goku in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It's possible that Square Enix and co. could be trying to ride that with the most recent entries in the series.

I wonder if it'll pay off.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Was Dragon Ball not big? I remember Dragon Ball Z airing on Nicktoons Network when Nickelodeon still had that channel up and running; basically their main channel except it seemed to play mostly older episodes of cartoons/older cartoons themselves. I thought it was cool and remember seeing its memes online without even having to search for them. I remember it even airing at day time when I was even younger, although I didn't pay much attention to it so I don't even know what the channel was plus my memory only shows a small part of one day...

Although, it does seem to have died out...

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Was Dragon Ball not big? I remember Dragon Ball Z airing on Nicktoons Network when Nickelodeon still had that channel up and running; basically their main channel except it seemed to play mostly older episodes of cartoons/older cartoons themselves. I thought it was cool and remember seeing its memes online without even having to search for them. I remember it even airing at day time when I was even younger, although I didn't pay much attention to it so I don't even know what the channel was plus my memory only shows a small part of one day...

Although, it does seem to have died out...
DB and DBZ were directly big hit in Japan/Europe, even in general, Europe is basically weebland 2.0.
But for some reasons, America started to like it at the end of 90's begining of 2000's, which is like 10/20 years after it's start.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno. Dragon Ball Z has definitely had a big prescence in North America since I was like 11 or 12, basically being the gateway drug to anime for most lads ever since. It was by far the biggest show on Toonami and DBZ games were regularly brought over here by the early 2000's. I talked about this in the Geno thread but my older cousin used to download episodes straight from Japan back in the dial up days when it took like 7-8 hours for a single episode. (Might bring that emotional story to this thread later.)

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I dunno. Dragon Ball Z has definitely had a big prescence in North America since I was like 11 or 12, basically being the gateway drug to anime for most lads ever since. It was by far the biggest show on Toonami and DBZ were regularly brought over here by the early 2000's. I talked about this in the Geno thread but my older cousin used to download episodes straight from Japan back in the dial up days when it took like 7-8 hours for a single episode. (Might bring that emotional story to this thread later.)
Not as big as right now though. It took Dragon Ball time to build up traction in America, whereas it was an instant hit in Japan.

StormC

Smash Hero
Everything but Dragon Quest (only the first Kingdom Hearts, though). SMRPG and FF7 are two of my all time favorite games, Chrono Trigger I played when the DS remake came out, and KH I literally played for the first time a week ago.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm starting to think Sora might be the square rep. We already know square is messing with insiders, so that could be why he's said to be out. If they're going for crossover appeal, Kingdom hearts is by far the best one on the list. I'm still hoping for Geno or Sephiroth, but I can't deny the huge appeal of Sora.

StormC

Smash Hero
Not as big as right now though. It took Dragon Ball time to build up traction in America, whereas it was an instant hit in Japan.
Not to act like a grandpa, but you're very much downplaying the series' previous popularity. During the early 2000s (after Toonami picked it up and helped break it into the mainstream), Dragon Ball Z was massive in America. It was the most viewed show on Cartoon Network and one of the most viewed cable shows period. DBZ merchandise was everywhere and it was the talk of the town among kids as young as elementary school and as old as college students. The show was just omnipresent and penetrated pop culture in so many ways:

Its current success and popularity in America is more of a resurrection of its previous stint at it. During the mid-late 2000s, the show started to fall off the map as other series were talked about more, but Dragon Ball Kai and the 2010s resurrection of the IP with new movies and Super brought the series back roaring. That said, as Nekoo Nekoo pointed out, the series did take a while to catch on compared to other regions; it was an instant hit in Europe and Latin America, and they didn't have to skip to DBZ to pull that off. It bounced between licensers and translators until it finally exploded on Toonami in 1999.

...what thread is this again?

beans

Smash Lord
Not to act like a grandpa, but you're very much downplaying the series' previous popularity. During the early 2000s (after Toonami picked it up and helped break it into the mainstream), Dragon Ball Z was massive in America. It was the most viewed show on Cartoon Network and one of the most viewed cable shows period. DBZ merchandise was everywhere and it was the talk of the town among kids as young as elementary school and as old as college students. The show was just omnipresent and penetrated pop culture in so many ways:

Its current success and popularity in America is more of a resurrection of its previous stint at it. During the mid-late 2000s, the show started to fall off the map as other series were talked about more, but Dragon Ball Kai and the 2010s resurrection of the IP with new movies and Super brought the series back roaring. That said, as Nekoo Nekoo pointed out, the series did take a while to catch on compared to other regions; it was an instant hit in Europe and Latin America, and they didn't have to skip to DBZ to pull that off. It bounced between licensers and translators until it finally exploded on Toonami in 1999.

This is ze anime thread
Now lets talk about Ryu from Naruto and Ike from Berserk

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, someone brought up an interesting point in one of the Discords I'm in. Remember the Dante leak about two months ago? It technically wound up being true because of Devil May Cry V: Dante Chaperones a Junior Prom. Basically it was a case of crossed wires or bad intel. "Dante's coming back? Oh, they must mean Smash." That sort of thing. A fair guess given the series was MIA for nearly 6 years, almost 11 if you (deliberately) ignore the attempted reboot.

What if Erdrick was a similar case of filling in the blanks or bad intel?
Dragon Quest XI is actually a prequel to Dragon Quest III and the main character is given the title of "Erdrick" at the end.
What if a remake of Dragon Quest III is on the way? Our regular comparisons to Marth are definitely appropriate in this case because Marth's game was remade for the SNES and DS. Meanwhile, Erdrick's was remade for the SNES but hasn't had a remake yet to introduce him to "modern audiences" like Marth's DS game after Brawl was released. Perhaps now is the time based on XI's global success and availability on all modern platforms? Food for thought.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
To be fair, the list has character's that look like DB character's(DQ and Crono), a character who uses several powers similar to DB techniques(Geno), and a character with DBZ level power at a glance(Sephiroth). A feel like there is something I can connect Sora to when it comes to DB, I just can't come up with anything right now.
Edit: Fixed an error cause by phone keys

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Yeah I think they'd do it it was one of the major things about that game although it's not that unique to 3 because 4 has a Male and Female avatar as well

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm starting to think Sora might be the square rep. We already know square is messing with insiders, so that could be why he's said to be out. If they're going for crossover appeal, Kingdom hearts is by far the best one on the list. I'm still hoping for Geno or Sephiroth, but I can't deny the huge appeal of Sora.
I dont believe the idea of Sora is not in the running is true at all. Sure there is a lot of hurdles for Sora to get in but Nintendo cannot ignore all these nerds with KH merch at their events.

beans

Smash Lord
Ro be fair, the list has character's that look like DB character's(DQ and Crono), a character who uses several powers similar to DB techniques(Geno), and a character with DBZ level power at a glance(Sephiroth). A feel like there is something I can connect Sora to when it comes to DB, I just can't come up with anything right now.
KH2 Sora hasnt even shown his final form

D

Deleted member

So, someone brought up an interesting point in one of the Discords I'm in. Remember the Dante leak about two months ago? It technically wound up being true because of Devil May Cry V: Dante Chaperones a Junior Prom. Basically it was a case of crossed wires or bad intel. "Dante's coming back? Oh, they must mean Smash." That sort of thing. A fair guess given the series was MIA for nearly 6 years, almost 11 if you (deliberately) ignore the attempted reboot.

Dragon Quest XI is actually a prequel to Dragon Quest III and the main character is given the title of "Erdrick" at the end.
What if a remake of Dragon Quest III is on the way? Our regular comparisons to Marth are definitely appropriate in this case because Marth's game was remade for the SNES and DS. Meanwhile, Erdrick's was remade for the SNES but hasn't had a remake yet to introduce him to "modern audiences" like Marth's DS game after Brawl was released. Perhaps now is the time based on XI's global success and availability on all modern platforms? Food for thought.
I can see that happening if this leak is true. Hopefully in the style of the DS remakes of DQ4-6, those were excellent.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
At this point I'm guessing either Geno or Sora. It would be criminal to ignore BOTH these massive fanbases. Leaning towards Sora because honestly who would expect it? Also HUGE headliner, in the upper echelon's of hype in general. Wouldn't mind it too much, even if I'm a big Geno fan. It would at least make Sora's equally sizable fanbase happy.

D

Deleted member

Wasn’t the Dante leak made way after dmc 5 was announced and Dante was confirmed to come back?

Top Bottom