• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Why are people expecting a Smash announcement from a non-Nintendo event?

We already learned the hard way with TGS this year. :U
Because the popular belief no matter your stance on Edrick is that he makes more sense to announce in a more Japanese centric event than a general direct unless it's together with someone here in the west really wants at the same time

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
the issue with erdrick is that we will get jack **** in terms of the surrounding stuff. We will get the stage, erdrick and 2 midi trumpet songs from a spiteful washed up racist dude. Like Erdrick was on my top 5 most wanted ez back in the smash 4 days but after cloud i don't care about him anymore. Dragon Quest has even more issues than FF has, it's gonna be cake without the icing. At least with characters who are newer like Agnes or Neku (As god has forsaken us on Geno so it's time to let go). We'd get multiple tracks, spirits and other cool ****. Maybe even a remix (woah).

Also Tracer is the most bland ass corporate pick you could possibly choose lmao why am I not surprised. The smash bros that added Mr Game and Watch because why the **** not is long dead.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Also Tracer is the most bland *** corporate pick you could possibly choose lmao why am I not surprised. The smash bros that added Mr Game and Watch because why the **** not is long dead.
Junkrat would be better, all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
So, one thing to take into account if a Square rep does exist and is the 3rd reveal and shows up at E3.

By which time, FFVII and company will have landed on the Switch. If Square is FINALLY ready to actually give us more FFVII remake info, it would be the optimum moment for a Sephiroth reveal at Nintendo's E3.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Resident Evil is actually Capcom's biggest franchise so I'm honestly surprised it isn't in Smash in some form already. Despite that, Capcom already has A TON of content in Ultimate. It has 84 spirits, 70 music tracks, 3 assist trophies, 3 characters, a boss, and major portions of the map in WoL. In comparison, Konami has 54 spirits, 45 music tracks, an item, 3 characters, 2 assist trophies, a boss, and also major map portions in WoL. SEGA has 40 spirits, 31 music tracks, 2 characters (soon to be 3), and 3 assist trophies. Namco has 5 spirits, 13 music tracks, 2 items, 1 character, and 2 assist trophies. Square has 4 spirits, 2 music tracks, and 1 character. Like I've been arguing, Namco and Square definitely have some catching up to do.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Resident Evil is actually Capcom's biggest franchise so I'm honestly surprised it isn't in Smash in some form already.
Eh, as we've seen in the past with Capcom roster additions, biggest ain't what the fans are always clamoring for.

That said, there is hopes for Phoenix Wright to join in the fight too.
Like I've been arguing, Namco and Square definitely have some catching up to do.
Thankfully that's not an actual rule. Especially with the potential Capcom and SEGA have at play.

Untouch

Smash Master
blah blah bayonetta snake lets get that out of the way now
I feel it'd be hard to translate Leon to Smash with his guns, ESRB does not like realistic guns. Still would like him though.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
blah blah bayonetta snake lets get that out of the way now
I feel it'd be hard to translate Leon to Smash with his guns, ESRB does not like realistic guns. Still would like him though.
It's also a matter of Leon not being as unique a fighter as Sakurai likes them, if his interview regarding Incineroar is anything to go by. Other fighters cover Leon's style and then some.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I mean Snake might not be using full auto but he is literally shooting missiles on stage. I think that is grounds to put a character in with guns but you know, things are weird.

DaChef

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I don't mean to be too off topic here, but I found out earlier today that Hideki Kamiya posted a twitter poll about which of his characters people would like to see in smash. I think it's notable because apparently he has actually used data from his polls in past cross promotions. Combined with how well smash has sold in its first week, I really do have hope that there will be a season 2 of DLC. I guess more importantly, I want to tell all of you preparing for the worst to not give up hope.
Anything can change :ultchrom:

D

Deleted member

Hey guys! I don't mean to be too off topic here, but I found out earlier today that Hideki Kamiya posted a twitter poll about which of his characters people would like to see in smash. I think it's notable because apparently he has actually used data from his polls in past cross promotions. Combined with how well smash has sold in its first week, I really do have hope that there will be a season 2 of DLC. I guess more importantly, I want to tell all of you preparing for the worst to not give up hope.
Anything can change :ultchrom:
HENSHIN A GO GO BABY!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't see how the JumpFiesta event makes or breaks anything. It's the nearest Japanese major event, but it's not like Nintendo couldn't just drop a character in a Direct like they've done a ton of times or another big event could be announced. I get this specific leak is pushing Erdrick as the second DLC, but I certainly don't expect to see that until after Joker has some solid gameplay, so like March at the earliest... Not saying I necessarily put much stock in this leak, I've thought Dragon Quest had plenty of a shot beyond it for a long time. Beyond that, we might not even know who the Square rep is until goddamn 2020 if they end up being the final character of the Fighters Pass.

Anyway, yeah, I think Sora or Dragon Quest makes the most sense with Joker's reveal. Both have major releases in the near future, both represent massive JRPGs that have sold well, both have some major popularity, and both are pretty surprising, big name additions. Generally Joker and Reggie's comments have set the tone for how to look at this DLC cycle, and I'm a lot more inclined to believe in the big crossover moments with his inclusion. A lot of fan service was paid to the base roster, so I'm somewhat of the mind that maybe fan requests will not really be much of a consideration for this initial fighters pass. Sora and Erdrick just kind of fit the narrative I see officially from Nintendo right now. I want Geno, but I'd be happy with any of those three as playable. Erdrick could be the least interesting, but I honestly don't know enough to make any judgments on him specifically.

Things just don't seem so bright for Geno these days, I think missing the base roster really, really hurt him. And I'm still torn on how Spirits effect character's chances. I don't want to say it's a hard deconfirm.. but including Mallow and him also might be seen as the consolation prize seeing as Nintendo seems to think that people should be happy with how their characters make it into Smash regardless of context...

Also, Joker isn't exactly a shill, but he does promote Persona Q2 which satisfies the whole appearing on a Nintendo console requirement and is an exclusive 3DS title. People tend to forget about that one it seems. The recent release of Persona 5 Dancing also helps solidify Atlus going after the same sort of brand usage as they did Persona 4. We're probably due a Persona 5 Ruby/Crimson, and with no Vita or Sony handheld, Switch makes a LOT of sense. If that gets announced soon, then I'd imagine Joker just technically becomes full blown "shill."

He's not a shill in the traditional sense, but he's promoting recent and future releases both for Nintendo and on other consoles as well, so...

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Erdrick and Leon Kennedy are both believable enough DLC candidates, but Guilty Gear and Overwatch characters? Call me skeptical, especially considering that Blizzard has other, much more iconic IPs to draw from, such as Diablo and Starcraft, along with other ActiVision IPs like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro as potential competition.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
What’s wrong with that
Some are uncomfortable to support Edrick because that means the composer would get paid in royalties and all that jazz. The problem with the composer is that he is an LGBTQ hating asshole who calls LGBTQ abominations while also denies Japans war crimes during WWII. To put it short, some aren't in line with the "put the art over the artist" in this cause.

Last edited:

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
the issue with erdrick is that we will get jack **** in terms of the surrounding stuff. We will get the stage, erdrick and 2 midi trumpet songs from a spiteful washed up racist dude. Like Erdrick was on my top 5 most wanted ez back in the smash 4 days but after cloud i don't care about him anymore. Dragon Quest has even more issues than FF has, it's gonna be cake without the icing. At least with characters who are newer like Agnes or Neku (As god has forsaken us on Geno so it's time to let go). We'd get multiple tracks, spirits and other cool ****. Maybe even a remix (woah).

Also Tracer is the most bland *** corporate pick you could possibly choose lmao why am I not surprised. The smash bros that added Mr Game and Watch because why the **** not is long dead.
Did we not just get a literal ****ing piranha plant in smash?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way 5ch works, but it looks to me like he said that the 5 DLC characters will be Joker, Erdrick, Tracer, Leon Kennedy, and Sol Bad Guy. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
No. The original thread was for DLC speculation, and that was a speculated list from OP. The leaks are posts 136 and 137, which are highlighted.

Anyways, I got a response from PushDustIn PushDustIn (thank you so much buddy). Sorry if it's already been covered here:

Slime and Jack Frost appear in attacks for Erdrick and Joker respectively. Not as stage hazards or assist trophies.
So, is it safe to say that this whole rumor may blow over at Jump Fiesta and if we don’t get anything there, should we just throw this whole rumor away?
No, because Erdrick is (reportedly) one out of four DLC characters, and could be revealed in any position. It's just very likely that Erdrick would be revealed at Jump Festa given that Dragon Quest XI S has a presentation there with a "special guest," and Smash Bros. fans love assuming everything is about Smash Bros., and the Square Enix rep likely has the most amount of work done on them after Piranha Plant (we've known about one since October), and could be ready for a reveal anytime soon.

The only way that this "leak" dies is if Joker's stage isn't Mementos, if Jack Frost doesn't appear in his moveset, or assuming we only get one Square Enix character, if another Square Enix character is revealed first.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Some are uncomfortable to support Edrick because that means the composer would get paid in royalties and all that jazz. The problem with the composer is that he is an LGBTQ hating ******* who calls LGBTQ abominations while also denies Japans war crimes during WWII. To put it short, some aren't in line with the "put the art over the artist" in this cause.
That's an admirable stance, though when you consider a video game, I feel like you're throwing a lot out with that particular stance. There's a significant, if not greater portion of the art that has nothing to do with the admittedly quite awful composer's thoughts. Kind of feels like letting one bad egg spoil the dozen to me.

Square certainly needs to do as much as possible to distance his ideologies from theirs, but they're no stranger to issues with composers. If anything, it'd be similar to how Cloud only got two songs.

I'll admit that's disappointing, but people make a much bigger deal out of that then I feel like they should. The character and the stage are the most important parts of any new franchise inclusion. If you can make those two happen, the rest is really inconsequential in my mind at least.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Not gonna lie, but as a lesbian myself — one who has gone through a lot of horrible stuff in my life because of anti-LGBT folk — I wouldn't be comfortable with Sugiyama profiting off of my own money either. However, I would still be happy for and respect the DQ fans, because it's only fair to them to just have some common human decency.

That being said, if the DLC is a problem for fellow LGBT people or allies, then I recommend just... not buying it. With that in mind, though... I do feel for the people who are against Sugiyama profiting from their money, yet unknowingly purchased Fighter's Pass. Unfortunately, that's the thing when it comes to a pass with absolutely no certainty on what will be in it. The best conscious decision if you're unsure about where your money is going to is to not preemptively buy a pass like that, though. I sure haven't, as I've grown up very humbly when it comes to my financial situation, and I don't want to invest my money in something that isn't a guarantee. If there's something I disapprove of, I'll simply speak with my wallet and that's that. After all, in the corporate mind, money is what talks.

Frankly, though, I feel pretty bad for the other people involved in Dragon Quest who don't align with Sugiyama's controversial views. They're losing out on money they need to make a living, all because one of the higher-ups involved in the game happens to be a total turdwaffle. It's a 'bad apple represents and ruins the bunch' situation, and it's incredibly sad.

D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie, but as a lesbian myself — one who has gone through a lot of horrible stuff in my life because of anti-LGBT folk — I wouldn't be comfortable with Sugiyama profiting off of my own money either. However, I would still be happy for and respect the DQ fans, because it's only fair to them to just have some common human decency.

That being said, if the DLC is a problem for fellow LGBT people or allies, then I recommend just... not buying it. With that in mind, though... I do feel for the people who are against Sugiyama profiting from their money, yet unknowingly purchased Fighter's Pass. Unfortunately, that's the thing when it comes to a pass with absolutely no certainty on what will be in it. The best conscious decision if you're unsure about where your money is going to is to not preemptively buy a pass like that, though. I sure haven't, as I've grown up very humbly when it comes to my financial situation, and I don't want to invest my money in something that isn't a guarantee. If there's something I disapprove of, I'll simply speak with my wallet and that's that. After all, in the corporate mind, money is what talks.

Frankly, though, I feel pretty bad for the other people involved in Dragon Quest who don't align with Sugiyama's controversial views. They're losing out on money they need to make a living, all because one of the higher-ups involved in the game happens to be a total turdwaffle. It's a 'bad apple represents and ruins the bunch' situation, and it's incredibly sad.
I really do hate to give that hag money, but at the same time I want to support the series as a whole. Yuji Horii, the creator of DQ, really comes off like an excellent guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Some are uncomfortable to support Edrick because that means the composer would get paid in royalties and all that jazz. The problem with the composer is that he is an LGBTQ hating ******* who calls LGBTQ abominations while also denies Japans war crimes during WWII. To put it short, some aren't in line with the "put the art over the artist" in this cause.
I'm not one to defend bigots, but if you're going to attack someone's character you've got to do it right.

He never called LGBTQ people abominations. He seemed to agree with a remark by Japanese politician Mio Sugita, who appeared on his show, about how tax dollars shouldn't go to gay couples, calling it "differentiation." He responded saying "it's differentiation." That could be taken as him agreeing, but it could also be taken as him following Japanese television etiquette, wherein people show they're listening by repeating words spoken by other people. Granted, I would say it's safe to assume that he's not favorable towards LGBTQ people given his conservative political stance and the fact that he had Sugita on his show in the first place, but there is no evidence for him calling LGBTQ people "abominations." It might be semantics, but I feel it's important to not over-exaggerate the truth.

He is a war crime denier though. I won't defend that.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
That's an admirable stance, though when you consider a video game, I feel like you're throwing a lot out with that particular stance. There's a significant, if not greater portion of the art that has nothing to do with the admittedly quite awful composer's thoughts. Kind of feels like letting one bad egg spoil the dozen to me.

Square certainly needs to do as much as possible to distance his ideologies from theirs, but they're no stranger to issues with composers. If anything, it'd be similar to how Cloud only got two songs.

I'll admit that's disappointing, but people make a much bigger deal out of that then I feel like they should. The character and the stage are the most important parts of any new franchise inclusion. If you can make those two happen, the rest is really inconsequential in my mind at least.
I have to disagree. It all comes to your personal view of life. I mean. while I might be able to watch Mel Gibson movies even though he is a POS of a human, I refuse to buy any game what so ever that has loot boxes and microtransactions because I'm angry at those predatory practices and I know people with gambling addictions. And voting with your wallet is one of the best ways to put your foot down, and apparently what makes Optimistic as negative towards Dragon Quest on top of the composers pov, is that he/she already bought the fighters pass apparently. So I find Optimistics reactions to potential Dragon Quest with all said very understandable.

StormC

Smash Hero
I really do hate to give that hag money, but at the same time I want to support the series as a whole. Yuji Horii, the creator of DQ, really comes off like an excellent guy.
I mean, in any given multimillion dollar product, you've got dozens if not hundreds of people working on it and all their political opinions to go with it, known or unknown. Yuji Horii might be an okay guy, there is no way to really know for sure, I suppose, but any other grab bag of developers and employees will have a range of personalities and viewpoints. There are probably other people who work on the games who hold views comparable to Sugiyama. You can't really pick and choose on this sort of thing, either you go all in or not.

Sugiyama is a POS, don't get me wrong. Thankfully he's older and will probably retire soon. You just can't really buy a corporation's product under capitalism and hope the money goes to the good guys.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I don't want to get into the debate about who is "deserving" because I don't think it means anything in the grand scheme of things, but if you're really going to compare Dragon Quest to Bubsy and insinuate that they haven't improved since the first game without having even played them, then you should probably just go for a walk or something.
I'm just saying the "he was first so he should be in smash" is a shallow argument at best, which seems to be why a lot of people want him in.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm not one to defend bigots, but if you're going to attack someone's character you've got to do it right.

He never called LGBTQ people abominations. He seemed to agree with a remark by Japanese politician Mio Sugita, who appeared on his show, about how tax dollars shouldn't go to gay couples, calling it "differentiation." He responded saying "it's differentiation." That could be taken as him agreeing, but it could also be taken as him following Japanese television etiquette, wherein people show they're listening by repeating words spoken by other people. Granted, I would say it's safe to assume that he's not favorable towards LGBTQ people given his conservative political stance and the fact that he had Sugita on his show in the first place, but there is no evidence for him calling LGBTQ people "abominations." It might be semantics, but I feel it's important to not over-exaggerate the truth.

He is a war crime denier though. I won't defend that.
Okay I admit I was wrong on his exact words but he is still anti LGBTQ which is the key point here.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm just saying the "he was first so he should be in smash" is a shallow argument at best, which seems to be why a lot of people want him in.
That's misconstruing the point though.

The point is that the legacy of the series and the historic relationship it has with Nintendo is what's important. It's not that it was first, it's what results from it being first.
Okay I admit I was wrong on his exact words but he is still anti LGBTQ which is the key point here.
Yeah, but he's not so extreme as to call them abominations. To claim otherwise is exaggeration of the truth.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Maybe put in Chell from Portal? I think Freeman would be great, but seeing him would rub salt in the wounds for still not having HL3.

I just think Heavy Weapons Guy would make for a great assist trophy if you made him like the old Blastoise summon.
Hell yeah, I'd love for Portal to get in. As long as we get a stage with GLaDOS commentary made specifically for Smash

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
That's misconstruing the point though.

The point is that the legacy of the series and the historic relationship it has with Nintendo is what's important. It's not that it was first, it's what results from it being first.

Yeah, but he's not so extreme as to call them abominations. To claim otherwise is exaggeration of the truth.
In my cause of claiming it, it boils down to broken telephone and I'm not afraid to admit it.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I honestly doubt he even truly cares about that, and he’s using that to justify his vendetta against Erdrick because it wasn’t character he wanted. I’ve read through his post and it definitely seems like he doesn’t really care about the composer and is just saying it to make himself look like he’s in the right.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

I just feel like he won't get just two songs; if music is now a selling point for DLC.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I honestly doubt he even truly cares about that, and he’s using that to justify his vendetta against Erdrick because it wasn’t character he wanted. I’ve read through his post and it definitely seems like he doesn’t really care about the composer and is just saying it to make himself look like he’s in the right.
I've seen Optimistic comments from the Geno thread. Optimistic is anti because of the composer.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I have to disagree. It all comes to your personal view of life. I mean. while I might be able to watch Mel Gibson movies even though he is a POS of a human, I refuse to buy any game what so ever that has loot boxes and microtransactions because I'm angry at those predatory practices and I know people with gambling addictions. And voting with your wallet is one of the best ways to put your foot down, and apparently what makes Optimistic as negative towards Dragon Quest on top of the composers pov, is that he/she already bought the fighters pass apparently. So I find Optimistics reactions to potential Dragon Quest with all said very understandable.
I want to reiterate that if not for the composer; I'd just have a intense disinterest in DQ making it into Smash. But the fact that I bought the fighter pass and now I might be supporting him has crossed the line and made me pissed off.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
It has nothing to do with time of release a d more to do with providing the blueprint for nearly every game in the genre. DQ3 was revolutionary.

I want to reiterate that if not for the composer; I'd just have a intense disinterest in DQ making it into Smash. But the fact that I bought the fighter pass and now I might be supporting him has crossed the line and made me pissed off.
No one should buy something that they're unaware of the contents in said item. That is the gamble you take.

Last edited:
Top Bottom