• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ProudNintendofan

Smash Apprentice
People confuse "popularity" with "requested". Jusy because a character doesn't have a vocal fanbase saying "add X character please" doesn't mean they aren't popular.
Ken is the second character from the biggest fighting game series in existence.
Richter is easily the most popular Belmont.
Any Pokemon starter is popular unless they're Meganium.

These characters may not have been talked about within the dedicated Smash communities but they certainly had a lot of fans before their reveals.
I'm pretty sure Simon is the most popular Belmont.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
People confuse "popularity" with "requested". Jusy because a character doesn't have a vocal fanbase saying "add X character please" doesn't mean they aren't popular.

These characters may not have been talked about within the dedicated Smash communities but they certainly had a lot of fans before their reveals.
I like Meganium........ also it ain't Simon who's the favorite Belmont that's how you know you never played castlevania if your favorite is only simon

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master

I honestly think that DLC will be characters that have large fanbases outside of Smash, Joker is one of those. Once they get into Smash they'll seem obvious even if they never had a big push. I saw a lot of fans of Joker before he got revealed, but there was never a large support base for Smash.
I think that's what Reggie means by unexpected.

I don't even know why people are surprised by this, this is exactly what Smash 4's third party DLC was too.
Ryu? He can't be in, he's a part of a competing fighting game.
Cloud? He can't be in, Final Fantasy 7 has never been on Nintendo.
Bayonetta? She can't be in, her games are too violent, and she's too inappropriate.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
That means its fanbase consists of 1 person(s)
Meganium is my favorite Johto starter. I love grass types. Put Meganium in smash!

Also this just proves that every starter pokemon is popular, I totally agree with you. Maybe nobody said "put Richter in Smash," but tons of people said "yo I love Richter he's awesome" and were hype as hell when he got in Smash. Same with Incineroar.

D

Deleted member

Meganium is my favorite Johto starter. I love grass types. Put Meganium in smash!

Also this just proves that every starter pokemon is popular, I totally agree with you. Maybe nobody said "put Richter in Smash," but tons of people said "yo I love Richter he's awesome" and were hype as hell when he got in Smash. Same with Incineroar.
Funnily enough I remember that the very first reply to that fake richter leak with gothitelle on it was “Shame this is one of the weakest "leaks" yet. I'd love Richter over Simon.”

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Funnily enough I remember that the very first reply to that fake richter leak with gothitelle on it was “Shame this is one of the weakest "leaks" yet. I'd love Richter over Simon.”
I've literally never played Castlevania, and my only knowledge of Richter was the opening of SotN since I've seen speedruns of that game. Even I was happy about Richter. He's awesome. I literally never play Simon. (mostly just because I hate Simon's VA lmao.)

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what I call the Smash Fanbase Bubble Effect™
Simon is recognizable to most people who grew up on the NES. I wouldn't call him the most popular but you're underselling how much more casual appeal he has than many other choices, even if only as the "Castlevania Guy."

Wait, isn't this the SE thread?

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Mark my words, Sora is going to be the square rep.
I wish buddy, but the most likely SE characters are all have split chances and things going and against for.

I think the most likely are Geno/Sora/Erdrick and I would’ve preferred if all three somehow got in (maybe through multiple passes) but sadly we’ll have to stick with 1 so far.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I dunno why we're still discussing Joker here but really, calling Joker a SMT rep is really stupid because if he was supposed to be one, we wouodn't have gotten him. Joker is from Persona, he represents Persona and it's just that simple.
Plus if he was supposed to represent SMT then he wasn't a good choice on that front because he is only one aspect of a larger whole that is the Tensei series
Joker IS representative of the Shin Megami Tensei series though. You can't deny an official statement from Nintendo.

RE: The Persona Central leak, I searched the source and can confirm that both statements are there (at the bottom of the page). They're structured incredibly similar which lends to them being from the same person, but they're posted 10 minutes apart. Therefore, they could be from different people.

That being said, the circumstances behind Erdrick's inclusion if this leak is true makes perfect sense. Square Enix holds a lot of weight in negotiations, and them and Horii could convince Toriyama and maybe even Sugimiya to include Dragon Quest in Smash. Promoting the series in the West is a large push for Square Enix, and adding a character in Smash Bros. would be a phenomenal way to do so. More than that, Dragon Quest is likely the largest video game series still not represented in Smash Bros., so it makes sense if you look outside of the "Smash Bubble."

I hope we get Erdrick and Lloyd so that we can have the Big 3 JRPG series face off. That'd be pretty cool.
Mark my words, Sora is going to be the square rep.
Buddy, I appreciate the optimism, but the Square Enix rep is 99.99% going to be Erdrick

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Joker IS representative of the Shin Megami Tensei series though. You can't deny an official statement from Nintendo.

RE: The Persona Central leak, I searched the source and can confirm that both statements are there (at the bottom of the page). They're structured incredibly similar which lends to them being from the same person, but they're posted 10 minutes apart. Therefore, they could be from different people.

That being said, the circumstances behind Erdrick's inclusion if this leak is true makes perfect sense. Square Enix holds a lot of weight in negotiations, and them and Horii could convince Toriyama and maybe even Sugimiya to include Dragon Quest in Smash. Promoting the series in the West is a large push for Square Enix, and adding a character in Smash Bros. would be a phenomenal way to do so. More than that, Dragon Quest is likely the largest video game series still not represented in Smash Bros., so it makes sense if you look outside of the "Smash Bubble."

I hope we get Erdrick and Lloyd so that we can have the Big 3 JRPG series face off. That'd be pretty cool.

Buddy, I appreciate the optimism, but the Square Enix rep is 99.99% going to be Erdrick
Sure, Nintendo themselves said it so they think it’s valid and it means something regarding future dlc characters but

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sure, Nintendo themselves said it so they think it’s valid and meant something when picking Joker but
But who is more credible:
Nintendo, a company in contact with Atlus, who develops the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series and would know information like this?
OR
You, a fan who believes that Persona and Shin Megami Tensei are different because you said so?

Regardless, I believe we're getting the Big 3 JRPGs in this game. Dragon Quest and the Tales of series are both too big to pass up.

D

Deleted member

But who is more credible:
Nintendo, a company in contact with Atlus, who develops the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series and would know information like this?
OR
You, a fan who believes that Persona and Shin Megami Tensei are different because you said so?

Regardless, I believe we're getting the Big 3 JRPGs in this game. Dragon Quest and the Tales of series are both too big to pass up.
Me obviously. Not seeing how this is a question tbh.
Regardless and being more serious, Nintendo saying it does lend a bit more credence to Erdrick and Lloyd in order to get the biggest RPG series in the same game,but I think it’s a bit minor a point. Dragon Quest is huge, certainly, and has history with Nintendo. A dq character is pretty likely, but I don’t think any series is “too big to pas up”. Otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten a resident evil character, a monster hunter character, a tetromino, a tekken character by now. What I’m trying to get at is that while DQ is undeniably huge, it could very well just be passed up for any number of reasons.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
From what I’ve seen the most popular Belmonts within the castlevania fandom are Richter and Julius.
Belmont yes, otherwise the most populars are Soma Cruz and Alucard.
Also the popular Simon Belmont was mostly the Kojima Artwork
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...t_simon.png/revision/latest?cb=20170616002157

Ken, well Sakurai said it himself, he's somewhat the first ever echo fighter in history, and i prefer him over Ryu

Incineroar was my favorite gen 7 starter as well personally

D

Deleted member

Nintendo also thinks Yoshi is a different series from Mario and we all know that's a load of bull****.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Erdrick getting in to check a check box is honestly depressing and coincidentally the only argument aside from pure shillery that people make for Dragon Quest in Smash. At least Joker was decently wanted internationally while the idea of Dragon Quest characters in Smash garner a collective shrug even in Japan where the games effortlessly sell millions. Aside from Steve from Minecraft, there's few character picks that scrape the gums of cynicism and pessimism than Dragon Quest does.

Last edited:

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
Erdrick getting in to check a check box is honestly depressing and coincidentally the only argument aside from pure shillery that people make for Dragon Quest in Smash. At least Joker was decently wanted internationally while the idea of Dragon Quest characters in Smash garner a collective shrug even in Japan where the games effortlessly sell millions. Aside from Steve from Minecraft, there's few character picks that scrape the gums of cynicism and pessimism than Dragon Quest does.
yeah but if they want to push it to the west it's a great way

It's like Persona, let's say it sold 2 million copies, well Smash will probably hit 15 millions, that could be 7 times more advertisements for Persona among people who will play Joker but never played Persona.
I'm a bad example but i started to play Persona 3 and 4 myself right now... And actually enjoying it a lot.

It's the same for Dragon Quest, if they want to make the characters popular in the west, put them in smash.

Captain Falcon would never had been popular if it wasn't for smash

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Can you provide a source for this statement besides the Japanese fan "poll" conducted by Source Gaming? If you're thinking about using the INSIDE gaming magazine poll, remember that wasn't a popularity poll but an "expected character" poll. Dragon Quest is massively popular in Japan, and the inclusion of Erdrick would be massive for Smash Bros.

I find it ironic that you say Minecraft is a cynical when Steve could arguably be one of the most requested characters (if you were on Miiverse at any point during Sm4sh's speculation you'd see the ludicrous amount of request for Steves, and I imagine that he performed well in the Ballot due to the young, casual fanbase), it's just that he's outside of the Smash Bubble and "Minecraft bad," so he's underestimated.

Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean that others won't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can you provide a source for this statement besides the Japanese fan "poll" conducted by Source Gaming? If you're thinking about using the INSIDE gaming magazine poll, remember that wasn't a popularity poll but an "expected character" poll.

I find it ironic that you say Minecraft is a cynical when Steve could arguably be one of the most requested characters, it's just that he's outside of the Smash Bubble and "Minecraft bad," so he's underestimated.

Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean that others won't.
I mean, you have to prove that japan wants a DQ character in smash before you can deny the claim that they don’t.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I mean, you have to prove that japan wants a DQ character in smash before you can deny the claim that they don’t.
Except I don't necessarily need to as the popularity of the series within Japan speaks for itself. While it's not popular within the Japanese "Smash Bubble" Dragon Quest is quite literally a regular discussion topic in Japan, similar to the weather or daily news. A Dragon Quest character would be received similar to Ryu or Cloud in that it's unexpected but incredibly large, and would cause mass amounts of hype. People who know gaming history would be excited as well, for the inclusion of a Dragon Quest character would be the culmination of Nintendo and Square Enix's relationship and the result of years of support and hard fought battles to gain exposure for the series.

Promotion of the series is really just an additional benefit.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Looking on 2ch, one of the most popular character requests is a DQ character, they just think it isn't nearly large enough in the West to get a rep.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Looking on 2ch, one of the most popular character requests is a DQ character, they just think it isn't nearly large enough in the West to get a rep.
Yeah. That's one of two barriers against a DQ rep. The other one is an issue involving music licensing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah. That's one of two barriers against a DQ rep. The other one is an issue involving music licensing.
And the fact that DQ has never been licensed out to a non Square developed video game in all of it's history.

D

Deleted member

Except I don't necessarily need to as the popularity of the series within Japan speaks for itself. While it's not popular within the Japanese "Smash Bubble" Dragon Quest is quite literally a regular discussion topic in Japan, similar to the weather or daily news. A Dragon Quest character would be received similar to Ryu or Cloud in that it's unexpected but incredibly large, and would cause mass amounts of hype. People who know gaming history would be excited as well, for the inclusion of a Dragon Quest character would be a historic moment in gaming and a culmination of Nintendo and Square Enix's relationship.

Promotion of the series is really just an additional benefit.
Ok, so it’s popular in Japan, that much I say evident. That means a smash character would be popular too. I guess call of duty man is popular for smash here as well. There’s a difference between a series being popular and people wanting that series for smash. Yes, a DQ character would turn heads, but that’s not the question. The question is “Does japan want DQ in smash?” and nobody has yet to provide evidence for the claim. You said to not use the source gaming or INSIDE poll, so I’m using the only other source o can think of for Japanese wants, this https://smashboards.com/threads/obs...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/ (done by Smashboard’s very own Cronobound!). Here, DQ is not mentioned. Yes, this is very unreliable. It was pre-smash 4, enetriely done by one guy, and doesn’t provide any numerical evidence, but it’s the only other source I can think of. It would be kind of you if you could provide any other source on Japanese wants.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Watch this whole thing ends up getting proven wrong by E3 of next year and it’s someone else completely. I thought we said no more leakers, no insiders know the DLC and I’m still a believer on that.

Really, I think our best bet at this point is to pay attention to what gets confirmed in the pack for Joker. Since, that’s what all we have to go off by from this to see if it’s real. If the content in the pack ends up being right, then that’s when I’ll take the leak seriously.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Geno is kinda on the fence and it all depends on whether the ones saying to not take him seriously were indeed biased or not.
I kind of look at the name drop scenario as the more commonly heard names are fake to ensure not many people know about the character.

I am just also curious about this quote. How can a leaker show any kind of bias? Were they upset over Geno being more likely than Sora at this point? It doesn't make sense to me to hear 'I think this character is in but I don't like him so don't believe me.'

Geno seems like a weird leak bait name to give due to him being expected by everyone and their mom. Why would you need to internally pass his name around in the first place when the internet is basically doing that for you?

It makes you wonder....

(I also put Sora on the table still due to Joker reveal debunking most 'credible' claims but it honestly depends on which insiders have been claiming he was out. It would be nice to officially narrow down the list from 7 to 6. Would make this mess a whole lot easier.)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Watch this whole thing ends up getting proven wrong by E3 of next year and it’s someone else completely. I thought we said no more leakers, no insiders know the DLC and I’m still a believer on that.

Really, I think our best bet at this point is to pay attention to what gets confirmed in the pack for Joker. Since, that’s what all we have to go off by from this to see if it’s real. If the content in the pack ends up being right, then that’s when I’ll take the leak seriously.
If you're talking about Hitagi, his leaks are fake. He claimed that there are no Atlus characters.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so it’s popular in Japan, that much I say evident. That means a smash character would be popular too. I guess call of duty man is popular for smash here as well. There’s a difference between a series being popular and people wanting that series for smash. Yes, a DQ character would turn heads, but that’s not the question. The question is “Does japan want DQ in smash?” and nobody has yet to provide evidence for the claim. You said to not use the source gaming or INSIDE poll, so I’m using the only other source o can think of for Japanese wants, this https://smashboards.com/threads/obs...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/ (done by Smashboard’s very own Cronobound!). Here, DQ is not mentioned. Yes, this is very unreliable. It was pre-smash 4, enetriely done by one guy, and doesn’t provide any numerical evidence, but it’s the only other source I can think of. It would be kind of you if you could provide any other source on Japanese wants.

well you are joking with call of duty but i see many people on 4chan wanting either Doom Guy or Master Chief in smash, and i've seen some requests for James Ramirez from Call of Duty MW2 but that was more of a joke

Last edited:
Top Bottom