• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Interesting. Source on this?
How do you know?
I can't say much- Feel free to believe me or not.
I can't provide any source per say beside my own words.

But all sign pointed to nothing smashbros related but Metroid, which is why all leakers were spinning their jacket and go all out on Metroid at VGA because Nintendo themselves were leaving sign behind.

And why literally everyone was blindsided by Joker while everyone was expecting Metroid.

It wasn't because of Spawn-Wave or what not that the Metroid rumour started. Spawn and Natedrake just solidified it publicly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't have a source on that exact thing, but SE historically just always wants to be DLC. They do it with every crossover game they're involved in.
That does make sense. Tekken, SoulCal6, Smash 4, all of their characters are DLC.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't have a source on that exact thing, but SE historically just always wants to be DLC. They do it with every crossover game they're involved in.
So this is just a blatant assumption then.
I don't mean to be rude at all, but without this being a fact I just can't really consider this argument.

I can see why you feel this way though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't say much- Feel free to believe me or not.
I can't provide any source per say beside my own words.

But all sign pointed to nothing smashbros related but Metroid, which is why all leakers were spinning their jacket and go all out on Metroid at VGA because Nintendo themselves were leaving sign behind.

And why literally everyone was blindsided by Joker while everyone was expecting Metroid.

It wasn't because of Spawn-Wave or what not that the Metroid rumour started. Spawn and Natedrake just solidified it.
Oh, I thought you only had sources on Square stuff. I believe you, would make sense.
(also you can’t fool me Nintendo, I saw smash coming from miles away heheheh)

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
So this is just a blatant assumption then.
I don't mean to be rude at all, but without this being a fact I just can't really consider this argument.

I can see why you feel this way though.
It's not really an assumption when Cloud being in the base game of Ultimate is literally the first time they've not been DLC in a crossover like this to my knowledge, but go off.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
to be honest, lately it came to me that there is a possibility nintendo doesn't want Geno to be brought back as a popular upfront character
if DLCs were to be decided by Nintendo of Japan, there is a chance that their pride doesn't allow them to put Geno as DLC because he's a mario character not created by Nintendo and also because if people were to ask more about Geno it'd be a hassle to bring him in other games as well (like mario spin offs)

to put it simply i think the fact than Geno is both considered a Mario character yet not a Nintendo character is a political problem among Nintendo to the point they dont want to put him in any kind of spotlight

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh, I thought you only had sources on Square stuff. I believe you, would make sense.
(also you can’t fool me Nintendo, I saw smash coming from miles away heheheh)
Nah, my sources are just friends for Ubisoft games, and Someone working close with NoE

Besides I'm sure even PolarPanda PolarPanda had "signs" or rather crumbles that it wouldn't be Smash either on his side and told the Geno thread to not expect Smash before the VGA.

When I mean EVERYONE was blindsided. I really mean it.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It's not really an assumption when Cloud being in the base game of Ultimate is literally the first time they've not been DLC in a crossover like this to my knowledge, but go off.
...but it IS an assumption. An assumption backed up by some logic, yeah, but I keep seeing people parading the "Cloud was supposed to be DLC" thing around like it's absolute fact when it's literally just not.

to be honest, lately it came to me that there is a possibility nintendo doesn't want Geno to be brought back as a popular upfront character
if DLCs were to be decided by Nintendo of Japan, there is a chance that their pride doesn't allow them to put Geno as DLC because he's a mario character not created by Nintendo and also because if people were to ask more about Geno it'd be a hassle to bring him in other games as well (like mario spin offs)

to put it simply i think the fact than Geno is both considered a Mario character yet not a Nintendo character is a political problem among Nintendo to the point they dont want to put him in any kind of spotlight
Yet K. Rool is a DK character not entirely created by them, yes? He was created by Rare, a Western studio, who is now owned by one of their direct competitors...but he's here, yeah?
I don't think "NoJ's pride" is something that would stop Geno being in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You certainly have a point, but whether this is a point of contention or not... I guess we'll never know.
Since he's a spirit and was a mii costume they clearly aren't averse to him but the fighter status is much more prestigious than the former two, so who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Nah, my sources are just friends for Ubisoft games, and Someone working close with NoE

Besides I'm sure even PolarPanda PolarPanda had "signs" or rather crumbles that it wouldn't be Smash either on his side and told the Geno thread to not expect Smash before the VGA.

When I mean EVERYONE was blindsided. I really mean it.
EVERYONE IS
BLINDSIDED

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I don't know about that, as there has been two times this year where something supported by Nintendo has made note of Geno, that being the SMRPG 22nd aniversery tweet and the GS Mario trivia round that happened during the Game Awards, which happened due to Nintendo wanting to advertise.

D

Deleted member

I don't know about that, as there has been two times this year where something supported by Nintendo has made note of Geno, that being the SMRPG 22nd aniversery tweet and the GS Mario trivia round that happened during the Game Awards, which happened due to Nintendo wanting to advertise.
To be fair, those are both NoA. Nintendo of Japan would be more invested in the political side of things.

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't think popularity is what Nintendo is going for with the DLC.
Of course, it's hard to tell based on one piece of DLC, but I have a feeling the point of the DLC is to promote mid-sized characters.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
To be fair, those are both NoA. Nintendo of Japan would be more invested in the political side of things.
Fair, but it is still interesting that any part of Nintendo would spend any time on a character or game they don't have any right to. And for both to happen in the same year after so many years of not making any significant mention to it.

D

Deleted member

Fair, but it is still interesting that any part of Nintendo would spend any time on a character or game they don't have any right to. And for both to happen in the same year after so many years of not making any significant mention to it.
SMRPG was on the SNES mini. It’s not like it’s forbidden material. Plus Nintendo always tweets about third party games.
NoJ still included Geno as a Spirit, a costume, an icon.
I REALLY don't think they have bias against Geno.
True, but those are still relatively minor roles. By making him playable, you are very actively giving importance to a character created by others that’s still a Mario character. Can easily se political biases coming into play.
Would elaborate, but I need to sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
SMRPG was on the SNES mini. It’s not like it’s forbidden material. Plus Nintendo always tweets about third party games.

True, but those are still relatively minor roles. By making him playable, you are very actively giving importance to a character created by others that’s still a Mario character. Can easily se political biases coming into play.
Would elaborate, but I need to sleep.
See my K. Rool point.
He was created by others (Rare, who is Western for one thing) and is a DK character.
I understand the situations aren't 100% alike though.

D

Deleted member

See my K. Rool point.
He was created by others (Rare, who is Western for one thing) and is a DK character.
I understand the situations aren't 100% alike though.
Fair , but it took 5 games for k roll to get in, massive fan support, an official ballot to show that he was actually popular and a very significant role in the DKC series for him to get in. Like you said though, the situations do have similarities but I don’t think they’re too similar g’night

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Fair , but it took 5 games for k roll to get in, massive fan support, an official ballot to show that he was actually popular and a very significant role in the DKC series for him to get in. Like you said though, the situations do have similarities but I don’t think they’re too similar g’night
...and that's the same exact situation Geno would have except the "significant role" part.
Good night though Onereason.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Yet K. Rool is a DK character not entirely created by them, yes? He was created by Rare, a Western studio, who is now owned by one of their direct competitors...but he's here, yeah?
I don't think "NoJ's pride" is something that would stop Geno being in.
But also remember that K. Rool was effectively retconned out of the series as of the reboot and Nintendo had to be shown his amazing Ballot results to be convinced to include him in Smash Bros.

"NoJ pride" could certainly be a reason for Geno's exclusion.
...and that's the same exact situation Geno would have except the "significant role" part.
Good night though Onereason.
I doubt Geno had as impressive of a Ballot turnout compared to K. Rool.

Pretty much the entire Smash Bros. community rallied behind K. Rool. People in America, Japan, Europe, and everywhere else banded together to vote for him. He had the hardcore support and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a good bit of silent casual support from people who played the classic Donkey Kong Country games and wanted to see him in. I wouldn't be surprised if he placed Top 10 or even Top 5 in the Ballot worldwide.

Comparatively, Geno had an impressive but much lesser turnout compared to K. Rool. Especially because some of the votes he'd have gotten from the hardcore community was taken by K. Rool, who people saw as the best shot of getting a character in.

Geno is a popular character, yes, but he is not Ballot-era K. Rool popular. No character is.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But they never did that for an older game like this, and certainly never for SMRPG. And why would they suddenly celebrate it's 22nd anniversary when they did not even do it's 20th anniversary, or any of the ones before that? And it was not for any visible marketing reason, as they make no mention of SNES Classic and the tweet almost assumes that the people reading have already played with it's Mallow vs Geno question.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
But also remember that K. Rool was effectively retconned out of the series as of the reboot and Nintendo had to be shown his amazing Ballot results to be convinced to include him in Smash Bros.

"NoJ pride" could certainly be a reason for Geno's exclusion.

I doubt Geno had as impressive of a Ballot turnout compared to K. Rool.

Pretty much the entire Smash Bros. community rallied behind K. Rool. People in America, Japan, Europe, and everywhere else banded together to vote for him. He had the hardcore support and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a good bit of silent casual support from people who played the classic Donkey Kong Country games and wanted to see him in. I wouldn't be surprised if he placed Top 10 or even Top 5 in the Ballot worldwide.

Comparatively, Geno had an impressive but much lesser turnout compared to K. Rool. Especially because some of the votes he'd have gotten from the hardcore community was taken by K. Rool, who people saw as the best shot of getting a character in.

Geno is a popular character, yes, but he is not Ballot-era K. Rool popular. No character is.
Geno for a fact was up there with K Rool and Ridley. Even if you don't take much stock in fan polls; EVERY fan poll had those three near the top. That doesn't just mean NOTHING.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Geno for a fact was up there with K Rool and Ridley. Even if you don't take much stock in fan polls; EVERY fan poll had those three near the top. That doesn't just mean NOTHING.
Geno isn't doing that great in European fan-poll and rarely did. And when he does, it appears to be from people overseas using Proxies.

He earned a bit of following, but get crushed by Banjo/Sora/Vlad (a.k.a Isaac) and others.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Geno isn't doing that great in European fan-poll and rarely did. And when he does, it appears to be from people overseas using Proxies.

He earned a bit of following, but get crushed by Banjo/Sora/Vlad (a.k.a Isaac) and others.
Yes but that's one country. The mega smash fans are more Eastern and Western based anyways, and they both like Geno. Japan and America are the one's most likely to be pandered to.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You're being a bit too Optimistic here.

In the long-term, yea, Geno's up there, but during the Ballot days he was top 10...not top 5, top 10.
Even top 15 maybe.

No one came near K. Rool and Ridley except him and Isaac and only to an extent.

Yes but that's one country. The mega smash fans are more Eastern and Western based anyways, and they both like Geno. Japan and America are the one's most likely to be pandered to.
...a...a country is...really important, dude, one or not lol

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Well that makes sense, SMRPG only came to Europe recently, but is that such a bg deciding factor, especially if he is popular in both the U.S. and Japan? Sakurai himself did say Geno got a lot of votes for a character so old.

KHJason95

Smash Cadet
NNID
KHJason20
Switch FC
SW-4391-8530-5723
As much as I want Sora, do I need him? Or do I need Crono? I dunno. I don't need either.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You're being a bit too Optimistic here.

In the long-term, yea, Geno's up there, but during the Ballot days he was top 10...not top 5, top 10.
Even top 15 maybe.

No one came near K. Rool and Ridley except him and Isaac and only to an extent.

...a...a country is...really important, dude, one or not lol
When was the last time Nintendo pandered to the European fans? I certainly think the particular country matters.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well that makes sense, SMRPG only came to Europe recently, but is that such a bg deciding factor, especially if he is popular in both the U.S. and Japan? Sakurai himself did say Geno got a lot of votes for a character so old.
I don't think the Europe thing is as big a hindrance as we make it out to be seeing as Geno is one of the only characters who's outright said to be very voted for but I do think it is indeed a hindrance.

That makes sense I hope

When was the last time Nintendo pandered to the European fans? I certainly think the particular country matters.
Bayonetta was the #1 most voted in Europe.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>Europe is a country

Stopped reading here.

Nintendo pander to every fan in the world.
France by itself is famous to have the biggest Japanese con in the world. Second Japan culture consumer in the world.

And that's just ONE country.

I don't think the Europe thing is as big a hindrance as we make it out to be seeing as Geno is one of the only characters who's outright said to be very voted for but I do think it is indeed a hindrance.

That makes sense I hope

Bayonetta was the #1 most voted in Europe.
Basically this. Bayonetta was 1st in Europe.
And while it's not a big issue.
IT IS something to keep in mind.

Wide appeals is important to have for DLC to be sold everywhere. Imagine they released Geno, he works in both USA and Japan but absolutely BOMB in Europe?
That's Something important to keep in mind. Not a big issue or obstacle but something to keep in mind nonetheless

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
>Europe is a country

Stopped reading here.

Nintendo pander to every fan in the world.
France by itself is famous to have the biggest Japanese con in the world. Second Japan culture consumer in the world.

And that's just ONE country.

Basically this. Bayonetta was 1st in Europe.
And while it's not a big issue.
IT IS something to keep in mind.

Wide appeals is important to have for DLC to be sold everywhere. Imagine they released Geno, he works in both USA and Japan but absolutely BOMB in Europe?
That's Something important to keep in mind. Not a big issue or obstacle but something to keep in mind nonetheless
Sadly I can see dragon quest character not selling well because the west doesn't care for the series chrono himself I can see selling well same with sora

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It is important, no doubt. At the very least, Geno is better off than several other characters in that worldwide appeal department when it comes to Square reps. I do wonder though, is there any other character not in that we know for a fact did well in the ballot, because Geno seems like the only case of that right now.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
At least I will be getting the Geno costume back more than anything. I just wonder if they would give us both.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
At least I will be getting the Geno costume back more than anything. I just wonder if they would give us both.
I see people assuming we're getting the Geno costume back quite a bit today.
Just as I saw people assume him and Shadow were locks for base game.

Let's stop with that.

Top Bottom