• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet
The Japanese version of DQ11 also had the MIDI music, it wasn't just added for the western release. In fact, the west sort of had it better because we got voice acting, while japan is supposedly going to get that feature with the upcoming Switch version.

Here's a video for proof, just in case you'd ask for it: The First 15 Minutes of Dragon Quest 11 (Japanese)
Thanks for the clarification. I had thought that the Japanese version uses the orchestral but I guess not.

Voice acting is such a central thing to omit from initial release... That really sucks, why would they do that? Time constraints?

D

Deleted member

Thanks for the clarification. I had thought that the Japanese version uses the orchestral but I guess not.

Voice acting is such a central thing to omit from initial release... That really sucks, why would they do that? Time constraints?
Voice acting was actually added for the Western release, they simply opted not to have voice acting in the Japanese version.
The Switch release of it is set to have Japanese voice acting though.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Personally I won't lose my mind for Sephiroth. I think he's one of the most overrated villains in gaming history, but I also understand WHY people talk about him and continue to do so to this day.

But personally gonna groan my *** off if there's a Smash trailer with One Winged Angel in it. **** my friend whose favorite is FF7 legit groaned when I told him that there's a strong chance Sephiroth might get into Smash Bros.

Honestly? I think people would react more positively to Tifa in general than Sephiroth.

The reasons why he's considered an iconic villain also lead to a lot of people just ****ing hating him.
I mean, you're 100% entitled to your opinion, and I respect that.
But that groaning and all kinda echoes a thing I see with people in the newer generations who think it's "cool" to bash Ocarina of Time and FFVII (and now BotW and SMG). Basically when there's someone at the top, there will be people who already create a sentiment of apathy. I can't blame them, but I'm not someone who follows that logic either. To each their own.
I'm not saying you or your friend are guilty of this, but it's just something I wanted to point out about the younger generations I've been noticing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But that groaning and all is kinda echoes a thing I see with people in the newer generations who think it's "cool" to bash Ocarina of Time and FFVII (and now BotW and SMG). Basically when there's someone at the top, there will be people who already create a sentiment of apathy. I can't blame them, but I'm not someone who follows that logic either. To each their own.
I'm not saying you or your friend are guilty of this, but it's just something I wanted to point out about the younger generations I've been noticing.
Personally as a FF fan I feel like Square's FFVII EVERYTHING phase got sort of grating. It's a great game but I feel it's also been way overexposed by the company at this point.
That's not to say I'm against Sephiroth in Smash, but there are other FF games that also deserve more spotlight in my opinion.

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet
Voice acting was actually added for the Western release, they simply opted not to have voice acting in the Japanese version.
The Switch release of it is set to have Japanese voice acting though.
What an odd decision. It doesn't ruin the game by any means obviously, but it does sort of hinder the presentation. Good thing I speak English!

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
But that groaning and all is kinda echoes a thing I see with people in the newer generations who think it's "cool" to bash Ocarina of Time and FFVII (and now BotW and SMG). Basically when there's someone at the top, there will be people who already create a sentiment of apathy. I can't blame them, but I'm not someone who follows that logic either. To each their own.
I mean, some of us just think OoT is overrated. I don't hate it, but I also don't have the nostalgia glasses because I didn't grow up with it. It's a fine game, but to me, not an amazing one.

I've never played FF7, so I can't comment on that.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody know how popular Chrono Trigger is in Japan? It's obviously pretty popular over here, but I tried looking into its Japanese popularity and I couldn't find anything conclusive.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's not really that with us. We both were 12 and 13 respectively when Final Fantasy 7 came out. I think with both of us, it's just we much prefer other characters from the FF series and even from FF7.

He probably isn't helped by being someone who wants Geno quite a bit though. I actually found out about Geno through him. Not Smashboards or the internet.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I mean, some of us just think OoT is overrated. I don't hate it, but I also don't have the nostalgia glasses because I didn't grow up with it. It's a fine game, but to me, not an amazing one.

I mean, I grew up with the SNES titles. I don't have nostalgia glasses for N64 titles. I think Ocarina was top tier.
I understand that you have your opinion, and I respect it.

Personally as a FF fan I feel like Square's FFVII EVERYTHING phase got sort of grating. It's a great game but I feel it's also been way overexposed by the company at this point.
That's not to say I'm against Sephiroth in Smash, but there are other FF games that also deserve more spotlight in my opinion.
I think the game isn't overexposed since the last time the compilation had anything relevant on the market was almost a decade ago. But I understand the sentiment. The compilation itself was terrible and hurt the brand both by its low quality and overexposing a bit more of a title that was already being universally received and never was supposed to have a sequel in the first place. The thing is, people loved those characters, and you rarely find in the series a bunch of characters that moved so many people's hearts like VII did (VI comes to mind, but not on the same level) and made people remember them for decades. The compilation was made to milk money off of this fact. And it backfired on them, ironically.
Only now did it got back on track with the Remake, even though we didn't hear anything of it for 3 years. Smash is a different case bc it takes the peak of each said series and celebrates it in the game, hence why Erdrick is a nobrainer at this point for DQ.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sephiroth is so well remembered and iconic because he has:
-A cool battle theme
-A cool design
-A cool final form
-A big sword
-Kills a beloved character in the most well known spoiler after Darth Vader ****ing Luke's moma
None of these things really make up for a good villain but they make for a memorable one. I can't actually speak for his character though but he became the definition of a humanoid JRPG protagonist.
something something kefka is better
Does anybody know how popular Chrono Trigger is in Japan? It's obviously pretty popular over here, but I tried looking into its Japanese popularity and I couldn't find anything conclusive.
I think I remember vaanrose mentioning it getting 8th in a most popular game poll done by some Japanese magazine but my memory is kinda fuzzy.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
So, DQ XI didn't win best RPG, LeakyPandy is once again wrong (the tweet said that the character would be from a category it wins) I still think its likely. Which once again, LeakyPandy is full of it! I'm actually surprised that Monster Hunter World ended up winning, but I'm also glad it got it, even though I myself don't really see MHW as an actual RPG.

Last edited:

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
I don’t think Sephiroth is a realistic choice. Two reps from FF7 just seems odd, and keep in mind we’re getting a stage and music. Do you really think we’d get ANOTHER stage set in the FF7 world? That just doesn’t seem likely. Nor would I care for that. Let’s get some variety.

Calane

Smash Ace
So, DQ XI didn't win best RPG, LeakyPandy is once again wrong (the tweet said that the character would be from a category it wins) I still think its likely. Which once again, LeakyPandy is full of it! I'm actually surprised that Monster Hunter World ended up winning, but I'm also glad it got it, even though I myself don't really see MHW as an actual RPG.
I believe they said that DQ11 would be nominated, but marketing was concerned that it wouldn't win. They went on to say "A game from the franchise the new character belongs to will be (at least) nominated to "best in genre" award". So they weren't entirely wrong, I guess. However, they will be wrong if the first DLC character isn't from DQ.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don’t think Sephiroth is a realistic choice. Two reps from FF7 just seems odd, and keep in mind we’re getting a stage and music. Do you really think we’d get ANOTHER stage set in the FF7 world? That just doesn’t seem likely. Nor would I care for that. Let’s get some variety.
I mean I wouldn’t mind Sephiroth due to his significance in FFVII, and the fact Ultimate seems to be adding a lot more villains than previous games, but it’s as you said. FF still only has two tracks of music, no new Assist Trophies or Bosses, and even for Spirits there’s only the two Cloud variations. Plus also the whole stage and music with DLC characters thing, which - see earlier. Seems unnecessary to have two FF7 stages with one having more music than the other — why not just dump all the tracks onto Midgar?

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I believe they said that DQ11 would be nominated, but marketing was concerned that it wouldn't win. They went on to say "A game from the franchise the new character belongs to will be (at least) nominated to "best in genre" award". So they weren't entirely wrong, I guess. However, they will be wrong if the first DLC character isn't from DQ.
Nah, we're getting a RDR2 character, it's winning everything :laugh:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I had a feeling insiders and leakers were being fed false information about Square. Looks like with Persona 5 Joker as our first DLC that is true.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Nobody said it was the first DLC, as I recall. They only said it was going to be DLC.
We're going to suffer here for a longer while huh
What is false is the rumor that no character after 2014 was considered.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Nobody said it was the first DLC, as I recall. They only said it was going to be DLC.
We're going to suffer here for a longer while huh
What is false is the rumor that no character after 2014 was considered.

Yes Vergeben said without a doubt the first DLC was going to be a Square Rep and Hitagi backed this. So all leakers took a hit today. As many used Vergebens sources.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Yo, Joker that was wild, my heart literally stopped! Pesona in Smash, and again this is Nintendo picking the DLC. Screw the safe picks. Smash is speculation free again! Screw Vergeben!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Well I for one am just.....floored.

I don't know what to think or believe anymore.

D

Deleted member

So every leaker was blown out at once.
I'm of course not going to give up on a Dragon Quest rep at all, but this really muddies the waters even further in speculation and I love it. It's no longer about "this leaker said this or that".

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Well I for one am just.....floored.

I don't know what to think or believe anymore.
Agree all leakers are wrong at this point, so the DLC is wide open to possibles. Also looks like we will no longer need that Square list from Vergeben. As who knows at this point who and if there’s a second Square Rep will be.

Calane

Smash Ace
Well, that happened.

Dragon Quest isn't out of this yet, so I suppose I'll hang on to hope a little while longer.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
After Joker I am now convinced if we get a Square rep it’ll be Sora.

I was born after it came out, but then I played it and I came to think it was the best video game ever made.

Only BotW has topped it in my mind.

Your opinion is still valid, of course, but nostalgia goggles are not to blame.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Your opinion is still valid, of course, but nostalgia goggles are not to blame.
Not in every case, but sometimes they are. But hey, we're not here to talk about OoT! I'm curious to see how everything pans out now regarding the SE character.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not in every case, but sometimes they are. But hey, we're not here to talk about OoT! I'm curious to see how everything pans out now regarding the SE character.
Just curious, since I remember you from around the Skull Kid thread, what are your thoughts on Majora’s Mask?

And uhh to stay on topic what’s your most wanted Square character and your favorite Enix character?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Just curious, since I remember you from around the Skull Kid thread, what are your thoughts on Majora’s Mask?

And uhh to stay on topic what’s your most wanted Square character and your favorite Enix character?
Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game, and debatably my favorite game, period.

Oh boy. I don't think I've played a game from before they were the same company.
*googles*
Apparently Crono and Terra are both from Square, so let's say Crono for most wanted Square character. As for Enix, apparently I've literally never played one of their games, but Illusion of Gaia is one my friend has talked up a fair bit, so the main character from that. :laugh:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game, and debatably my favorite game, period.

Oh boy. I don't think I've played a game from before they were the same company.
*googles*
Apparently Crono and Terra are both from Square, so let's say Crono for most wanted Square character. As for Enix, apparently I've literally never played one of their games, but Illusion of Gaia is one my friend has talked up a fair bit, so the main character from that. :laugh:
I agree with Crono. And Illusion of Gaia is great, I love the ActRaiser trilogy and Quintet era of Enix games. Though my favorite is Terranigma, so it’d be Ark for me.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If you wanna know what I think, I think the Square character is between Sora and Crono. I said my in-depth thoughts on Sora a while back and I think he is the most likely, but Crono now feels like a right choice to me. If Sakurai can gather the greatest JRPG protagonists from the greatest JRPGs (MOTHER, Persona, Xenoblade) together alongside Crono, then I will be pretty happy. Persona, MOTHER 3, Xenoblade, and Chrono Trigger happen to be my favorite video games of all time. (And if they can get an UNDERTALE character in somehow, I will be VERY happy with the roster in terms of RPG representation. But that is bigger pipe dream than Joker TBH)

Yes Vergeben said without a doubt the first DLC was going to be a Square Rep and Hitagi backed this. So all leakers took a hit today. As many used Vergebens sources.
If you got a link to this, I would like to see it. It's been a while since I last saw Verge stuff, I just need a refresher.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Well.

Welcome Joker. I guess that RelaxAlax must be happy now lol

Still not giving up on Geno.

But I didn't see it coming. I was just reading the thread and I saw "Joker in Smash" and I was like "what". The DLC is going to be wild. Like wow , Nintendo just told us to shut up and enjoy the ride lol

D

Deleted member

I don't know why people are saying Verge is 100% dead when all this does is make a Square character more likely in more eyes. I'n also thinking on Reggie's comment and that would mean Sephiorth and Geno can't be it.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean if we think that Verge and multiple Insiders are wrong. Then I guess it means Simon Belmont is fake news too since he wasn't revealed at E3 like guessed Vergeben

Most people and Insiders guessed that Square-Enix would be the first because it was the only one with so many information in the wild.

But guess what. It wasn't. For all we know it can be second or last.

And I agree. Joker and Reggie's comment makes me more think of a possible Sora/Slime/Crono than someone like Geno and Sephiroth Sadly (and I voted Geno.)

D

Deleted member

As I posted in the discussion thread, Joker basically kills Sora. No matter how you slice it, Sora is a bigger name than Joker and Smash always opens with their biggest name(Mega Man for 4, Ryu for Smash 4 DLC, Ridley for Ultimate).
Unless some weird rights thing went on with Disney but I doubt that as the narrative we have fits Sora too well(Square turning him down, Nomura getting surprised and then trying to convince them without Square budging) and all the other characters are technically smaller names than Joker(as in, Geno, Crono and [DQ character] could never be announced at TGA).
If Sora was it, I think we'd have seen him last night.

D

Deleted member

Sora could very well be kept as a E3 reveal thought.
By that point, we'll likely know at least one other DLC fighter so he'll, at most, be the 3rd one. And that's way too late into a hype cycle to reveal your big name.
Especially with the Fighter Pass, you want your big names out first so people buy it, with the(relatively) smaller ones at the end.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
By that point, we'll likely know at least one other DLC fighter so he'll, at most, be the 3rd one. And that's way too late into a hype cycle to reveal your big name.
Especially with the Fighter Pass, you want your big names out first so people buy it, with the(relatively) smaller ones at the end.
Cloud was revealed after Roy/Lucas/Ryu and before Bayonetta/Corrin.

So it's a weird spot to reveal a big names. So they probably have one more magnum opus in their pocket-

They got a big one out of the way. But who knows what's next.

D

Deleted member

Cloud was revealed after Roy/Lucas/Ryu and before Bayonetta/Corrin.

So it's a weird spot to reveal a big names. So they probably have one more magnum opus in their pocket-

They got a big one out of the way. But who knows what's next.
As I've been arguing in the discussion thread, Ryu was a bigger name. Cloud may have been a more groundbreaking reveal to the community due to his perceived impossibility but as far as marketing goes? Ryu is the bigger one you'd want to get out first.
And if Joker is the first character they want to market to get people to buy the Fighter Pass, then there's no one bugger than him.
Maybe we'll het, I dunno, something no one could see coming again, but a character that, in a vacuum, is bigger than Persona? Not happening imo.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
So, one thing that really caught my attention:

The announcement for Joker is very weird. We know that DLC planning takes months to complete before they start development. We've heard about a S-E rep for a while now. Should we be expecting only announcements of DLC characters without any extra info? Bc almost every DLC there was, we had gameplay and artwork. For Joker we only have an anime trailer (and a hype one at that), with no gameplay footage, no update to the blog other than the trailer, no artwork whatsoever. It's as if there wasn't really anything ready because this was a very recently finalized deal. And given all of the S-E ruckus, maybe they wanted to throw everyone off with this juggernaut of an announcement.
What do you think?

beans

Smash Lord
So, one thing that really caught my attention:

The announcement for Joker is very weird. We know that DLC planning takes months to complete before they start development. We've heard about a S-E rep for a while now. Should we be expecting only announcements of DLC characters without any extra info? Bc almost every DLC there was, we had gameplay and artwork. For Joker we only have an anime trailer (and a hype one at that), with no gameplay footage, no update to the blog other than the trailer, no artwork whatsoever. It's as if there wasn't really anything ready because this was a very recently finalized deal. And given all of the S-E ruckus, maybe they wanted to throw everyone off with this juggernaut of an announcement.
What do you think?
I dunno. Maybe from the selection they have, Joker would bring more attention since he is from a PS4 exclusive game.
Chosen for buzz that would cause, but not the work already done.

Also, wasnt Mewtwo announcement just a model and them pointing to the big wrestlemania sign?

Top Bottom