• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This is exactly my sentiment. I've never been a fan of blind bias and convincing yourself that a character is a shoe-in, which is my chief problem with some of the Geno fanbase.

I just don't want people to get their hopes up and then be disappointed, because that's not good for them (they feel bad) or us (some turn on people in the boards or the developers and make us look bad).
If there's one thing characteristic about the Geno fanbase; we are SUPER unsure of ourselves. We have to be out of necessity and the nature of our character; much like the Isaac fans. I'm unaware what kind of Geno fan's you are exposed to, but that's far from what I EVER see.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I have nothing against Geno fans, but I'm just concerned that some may just be setting themselves up for disappointment. A lot seem to be completely convinced that Geno is absolutely in which as I've said before you should absolutely never be certain about any of this speculation.
I don't think he's absolutely in, though I do like to believe he has a decent chance.

Tbh I've seen very few people act like he was definitely going to make it in, a couple even tempering their own expectations or seemingly sad about his chances. A few seem to act like he's the most-likely but don't really seem too certain, idk.

My only problem with telling people to temper their expectations is that people can do that and feel disappointed all the same; I also only see this "temper your expectations" thing being told to Geno fans and, well, the Grinch Gang lol, I personally don't see it with B-K nor Steve, or others.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I have nothing against Geno fans, but I'm just concerned that some may just be setting themselves up for disappointment. A lot seem to be completely convinced that Geno is absolutely in which as I've said before you should absolutely never be certain about any of this speculation.
"a lot" isn't really true. Of course , there is Always some people absolutely convinced that their character is in.

But if you ask the Geno thread for his chances , you'll actually get quite a lot of differents opinions. Of course , the Geno supporters want Geno , but some of the biggest Geno fans like Luigi The President are more realistic about Geno's situation. Some keep their expection really low , some debate heavily , some hope that at least the Geno costume will be back.

I'm not trying to give you a lesson , but please don't spread the "A lot of Geno fans are convinced he's in" misinfo if you see some very vocals supporters saying they are convinced about that.

And personnaly , part of me just want him despise his problems. During the grinch leak , I tried looking objectively at it , and thought that counter-arguments were weaker than pros for the grinch , since it was more like "How could Sakurai reveal 7 characters at once ? It could be an elaborated Fake leak." and it was one. But damn it was well done. Before the direct , I got hyped , and ended up disapointed , since there was nothing beside the Chibi-robo Mii costume that made me happy. I was a bit sad , but 2 days after , I just dealt with it and I was on the Geno thread again.
I didn't insulted people who were saying "LOL HE'S A SPIRIT LMAOOOOOOOOO" or insulted Sakurai's work. I was just a bit disapointed with how they ended thy hype cycle.

So even then , don't be scared to see Geno supporters actively trying to insult you because you supported DQ , and that it got in instead of Geno.

Because It's worthless , and won't change anything about the situation.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm honestly expecting a Dragon Quest character; Geno would be a great surprise for me.

Getting ready for LeakyPandy to actually get one thing correct about Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"a lot" isn't really true. Of course , there is Always some people absolutely convinced that their character is in.

But if you ask the Geno thread for his chances , you'll actually get quite a lot of differents opinions. Of course , the Geno supporters want Geno , but some of the biggest Geno fans like Luigi The President are more realistic about Geno's situation. Some keep their expection really low , some debate heavily , some hope that at least the Geno costume will be back.

I'm not trying to give you a lesson , but please don't spread the "A lot of Geno fans are convinced he's in" misinfo if you see some very vocals supporters saying they are convinced about that.

And personnaly , part of me just want him despise his problems. During the grinch leak , I tried looking objectively at it , and thought that counter-arguments were weaker than pros for the grinch , since it was more like "How could Sakurai reveal 7 characters at once ? It could be an elaborated Fake leak." and it was one. But damn it was well done. Before the direct , I got hyped , and ended up disapointed , since there was nothing beside the Chibi-robo Mii costume that made me happy. I was a bit sad , but 2 days after , I just dealt with it and I was on the Geno thread again.
I didn't insulted people who were saying "LOL HE'S A SPIRIT LMAOOOOOOOOO" or insulted Sakurai's work. I was just a bit disapointed with how they ended thy hype cycle.

So even then , don't be scared to see Geno supporters actively trying to insult you because you supported DQ , and that it got in instead of Geno.

Because It's worthless , and won't change anything about the situation.
You're absolutely right. It's tricky to determine majority opinions when there are rather loud vocal minorities, but this is really something to keep in mind. Thank you.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I'm honestly expecting a Dragon Quest character; Geno would be a great surprise for me.

I can't wait to fight Skull Kid as a boss fight in WoL !

Wait a minute.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero

They say there's a first time for everything, but whoever thought of that saying obviously never heard of LeakyPandy. :awesome: I've been over here thinking DQ was the likeliest option, but if they're saying it's DQ, it must be one of the others!

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
They say there's a first time for everything, but whoever thought of that saying obviously never heard of LeakyPandy. :awesome: I've been over here thinking DQ was the likeliest option, but if they're saying it's DQ, it must be one of the others!
I made this joke on Twitter yesterday, and I'm like wow, LeakyPandy may actually be right about something for once. Because Dragon Quest does seem likely, and it makes the most sense Nintendo-wise, but how much of a switch up would it be that at the VGA's tonight, Nintendo decideds to not be safe, and ends up being reveals Chrono or Sora instead.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Man this thread moved pretty fast.
Since no one cared about the specific thread I'll say it here, but I'd love to see Octopath at least as spirits, but sadly it's pretty recent so while the great sales might help it would probably be better to at least have a sequel first. I know it will be even better! They had all the sistems working great so they just need to expand on that! Bravely Default probably has more of a chance, but I'd rather have Octopath exactly because they would have to be all eight protagonists. I know they're only published by Square but everyone still considers them Square games because of how they take inspiration from their old games (and frankly do everything 10 times better).
In term of Octopath representation, I desperately want some Octopath Traveler music in the game. There's just so many good tracks that would be perfect.
All of this is a product of Geno's fanbase.
He got a Mii costume because the fans that wanted him were vocal enough.
I'm not saying that Geno has no chance, he does have a realistic shot.
But tell me... why would Square, the company that hasn't used him for 2 decades, push him over any of their popular IPs?
I mean, he is a Mario character after all. He isn't the most recognizable and he is pretty obscure, but his ties to Mario is something I don't think Square would ignore. If they play their card's right, and are able to thrust Geno back into the mainstream, Square now has a Mario character they can milk and profit off of. Geno merchandise? Square would get a cut of that. Geno as a DLC character for MarioKart, Tennis, Party? Square would get a cut of that. Of course this is assuming that Nintendo will allow the Mario characters Square owns into their games in the first place, but yeah, Geno would be far from useless to Square and the character can definitely earn them some profit.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I made this joke on Twitter yesterday, and I'm like wow, LeakyPandy may actually be right about something for once. Because Dragon Quest does seem likely, and it makes the most sense Nintendo-wise, but then at VGA's tonight, Nintendo decideds to not be safe, and ends up being reveals Chrono or Sora instead.
It should be noted that all three companies of Disney, Nintendo and Square will be in attendance tonight at The Game Awards. This is most likely because the Russo brothers are going to reveal an Avengers 4 trailer, and Square is going to use this momentum to announce details on the Avengers game they are working on. Still though if the 2nd Square pick is Sora. You could not ask for a better time to reveal him with all three companies in attendance. Then again they might reveal him later on if its him and choose save it closer to his games release.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can't wait to fight Skull Kid as a boss fight in WoL !

Wait a minute.
Y'know, after Skull Kiddo getting disconfirmed anyway (assuming they won't upgrade AT's), it would've been nice to have him as a cool boss, but nope.

To be fair, he was never actually a boss anyway, and is a small character, which is why I thought people saying "he makes more sense as a boss" didn't actually know the character they were talking about.

It should be noted that all three companies of Disney, Nintendo and Square will be in attendance tonight at The Game Awards. This is most likely because the Russo brothers are going to reveal an Avengers 4 trailer, and Square is going to use this momentum to announce details on the Avengers game they are working on. Still though if the 2nd Square pick is Sora. You could not ask for a better time to reveal him with all three companies in attendance. Then again they might reveal him later on if its him and choose save it closer to his games release.
> Avengers

Thanos for Smash my dudes.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Y'know, after Skull Kiddo getting disconfirmed anyway (assuming they won't upgrade AT's), it would've been nice to have him as a cool boss, but nope.

To be fair, he was never actually a boss anyway, and is a small character, which is why I thought people saying "he makes more sense as a boss" didn't actually know the character they were talking about.

> Avengers

Thanos for Smash my dudes.

He would be too OP lol, he would pick up Bayonetta the original OP in his final smash and say "I hope they remember you" then he would erase her.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
He would be too OP lol, he would pick up Bayonetta the original OP in his final smash and say "I hope they remember you" then he would erase her.
Then she witch time him and ladder him to the moon.

I... I think I played Sm4sh as a competitive game a bit too much lol.

And well , Palutena , despise beeing a litteral goddess is a low mid tier.

And Olimar , a regular ol' dude is one of the most powerful character since his inclusion in Brawl.

So yeah , Sakurai can do weird stuff.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
...... besides from bigorty and war crime denying he's a perfectly fine guy..... maybe those two things negate him from the status "pretty fine guy'. Just my opinion.
Perfectly fine is pretty poor choice of words. I think better words would be "besides having horrible opinions he's not actively harming anyone". Which is probably true.

We live in a diverse world with all sorts of people with all sorts of different opinions. It's inevitable that someone in every industry has really awful bigoted views. In fact its highly likely that someone bigoted was involved in making Smash too! These people exist and they are more than likely involved with more in our lives than we'd like to know. Maybe that guy who served you a sandwich at subway is secretly a homophobe? Who knows? It's horrible to think about but as long as they aren't hurting anyone we have to coexist with them, just like they have to coexist with the people they hate too.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Calling it now: Square's going to reboot Vagrant Story, with Ashley Riot announced as the Square Rep.

only in my dreams...

D

Deleted member

Calling it now: Square's going to reboot Vagrant Story, with Ashley Riot announced as the Square Rep.

only in my dreams...
I can also dream... actually, I think a proper remaster of it would do really well with the proper promotion.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
I don't really care who gets in. I love all these characters/franchises so I win no matter what haha.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Anyone complaining about a potential Sephiroth moveset having a broken range.
Have you seen the Belmonts? Has anyone been watching ZeRo's stream now? XD

On a serious note, my sincere bet is Erdrick will be the chosen character. I might be surprised though.
If S-E reveals a new trailer for FFVII Remake today, I might get my hopes up for Seph.
Any other character I'm perfectly fine with. Just Slime that would feel weird, given we already have PP.

D

Deleted member

One thing that I've been wanting to say is that I'm honestly a little surprised in the fact that the Luminary isn't a more common prediction. He's the main character of the most recent Dragon Quest game, which is also seeing a Switch release soon. Would be an easy way to promote the Switch release of DQ11.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Smash rarely does shill. Usually when it does it's for FE or Pokemon. But most of the time Smash celebrates what is classic in gaming history
It's the culmination of what the greats of the past achieved.

beans

Smash Lord
One thing that I've been wanting to say is that I'm honestly a little surprised in the fact that the Luminary isn't a more common prediction. He's the main character of the most recent Dragon Quest game, which is also seeing a Switch release soon. Would be an easy way to promote the Switch release of DQ11.
I mean, there is the rumor of no character originated post 2014 for DLC

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Also, as another comment in favour of Sephiroth, let's just think about this for a moment: for any reason we'll hear a song before the character and scenario pop up, now think about the huge crowd at TGAs and how they'd react:
*If they play a DQ song, chances are not many will recognize it.
*Same with Chrono Trigger.
*If they play Forest Maze or that song where Geno enters into the doll, many will rejoice.
*If they play any of the recognizable KH songs, chances are the crowd will scream of happiness.
*Now, imagine what would happen if they hear One Winged Angel instead. People are gonna lose their minds.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Now, imagine what would happen if they hear One Winged Angel instead. People are gonna lose their minds.
Yeah, me i'll just get a PTSD of his dumb fight as a 5years old child in KH I
It haunt me to this day.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Also, as another comment in favour of Sephiroth, let's just think about this for a moment: for any reason we'll hear a song before the character and scenario pop up, now think about the huge crowd at TGAs and how they'd react:
*If they play Forest Maze or that song where Geno enters into the doll, many will rejoice.
*If they play any of the recognizable KH songs, chances are the crowd will scream of happiness.
*Now, imagine what would happen if they hear One Winged Angel instead. People are gonna lose their minds.
I feel like he has a very good chance, but is overshadowed by Erdrick, logically speaking.
In terms of hype in the event, yes, almost everyone would lose their minds with the Seph reveal accompanied by OWA. The icon AND music are both recognizable on their own, and as people who are craving for FFVIIR news for 3 years (literally the PSX 2015 trailer had its birthday yesterday), I think nothing would beat the impact. But alas, gotta face the possibilities. They are good, but not the best.

Yeah, me i'll just get a PTSD of his dumb fight as a 5years old child in KH I
It haunt me to this day.
I think the KH I fight was better than the second one.
Would you agree?

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Let me pull out my big heavy bias for Chrono Trigger and say:
The pendulum intro
That **** would be the coolest thing ever

D

Deleted member

The pendulum intro
Seriously, that would be an amazing trailer LOL

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
The pendulum intro
I had the same image in my head when I thought about a potential reveal. That would be insane but faithful to the original material
Definitely something Sakurai would go for.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I mean, those two things would definitely be detractors from being a "perfectly fine guy"...

Semantics aside, if there is a DQ rep, I hope the west doesn't get watered down versions of the OSTs like DQ11 allegedly did. I'm actually interested in trying out DQ11 after seeing all the hub-bub here about the series, but music is a very important aspect in video games for me, so I'd probably play the Steam version with the orchestral soundtrack modded in.
Why doesn't it have the same version of the soundtrack?

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Why doesn't it have the same version of the soundtrack?
My gosh, people seem to ignore my posts. XD
The DQXI soundtrack wasn't watered down in the international version. It had the exact same MIDI soundtrack as the Japanese one.
This is misinformation from rumors made up by angry people and a video that made a hit on YT (even though you can even see in the comments how people were mad at the huge lack of research on the whole series) about the Sugiyama controversy.

I mean, those two things would definitely be detractors from being a "perfectly fine guy"...

Semantics aside, if there is a DQ rep, I hope the west doesn't get watered down versions of the OSTs like DQ11 allegedly did. I'm actually interested in trying out DQ11 after seeing all the hub-bub here about the series, but music is a very important aspect in video games for me, so I'd probably play the Steam version with the orchestral soundtrack modded in.
Hey, who knows. Maybe the Switch version comes with the miracle of having the orchestrated version. I wouldn't count on it though, given S-E's current situation and stance.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
So huh, bit of an off topic question but:
What is the time in your respective timezones?
Mine is around 9:30 PM and VGA will be in 10:30 PM.
Good thing my week was free anyway

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Personally I won't lose my mind for Sephiroth. I think he's one of the most overrated villains in gaming history, but I also understand WHY people talk about him and continue to do so to this day.

But personally gonna groan my ass off if there's a Smash trailer with One Winged Angel in it. **** my friend whose favorite is FF7 legit groaned when I told him that there's a strong chance Sephiroth might get into Smash Bros.

Honestly? I think people would react more positively to Tifa in general than Sephiroth.

The reasons why he's considered an iconic villain also lead to a lot of people just ****ing hating him.

Calane

Smash Ace

The Japanese version of DQ11 also had the MIDI music, it wasn't just added for the western release. In fact, the west sort of had it better because we got voice acting, while japan is supposedly going to get that feature with the upcoming Switch version.

Here's a video for proof, just in case you'd ask for it: The First 15 Minutes of Dragon Quest 11 (Japanese)

Top Bottom