• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
You guy's would be okay with getting DQ character in DLC, even though money would be going to the composer?
Yes. Speaking for myself. yes I would. Protesting against what he said is not by not buying anything he has even 0.001% of responsibility.
It's by denouncing him directly.
I can also clearly see your ideology from miles away my dude. The world isn't black and white. And the DQ team is not responsible for one person's opinion. Group identity and thinking is in a decline and has only brought more harm than good.

I just hope that the DQ composer doesn't do copyright strikes if his musics are featured in a , let's say , Smash Bros Ultimate stream.

That's a thing I don't know , has he or his team done something like that before ? Because this could be a big problem.
However , maybe Nintendo can manage to allow these remix to be used ?
I mean, if that were the case, there wouldn't be much DQXI streams now, wouldn't it?
Again, I think people are getting the wrong idea bc of misinformation.
He demands royalties and is a pain in the butt for his orchestral compositions. He pays a ton of money to organize the NHK orchestra to play the compositions he meticulously made to be play by live instruments. You can't blame the man for asking for a considerable share of the work he did. S-E hasn't been keen for paying royalties, so they settle with MIDI scores of his melodies and there you go.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Huh... so there's a thread for this now.

Anyway, I don't think the composer being a ****ty human being is going to stop a DQ rep from getting in. Nintendo's published plenty of DQ game already, so I doubt getting anything into Smash will be too difficult.

As for my predictions, the Square rep is either from DQ (probably Erdrick) or another character that is completely missing from the list.

-Sephiroth has the dilemma of maintaining the source material while balancing him gameplay wise, which is a point I don't see too many supporters take into account.

-Geno is... well Geno. He's still a 20 year old character that's appeared in one game and has had one cameo. That's it. The only reason why he has any chance is because his fanbase is very vocal and supportive of him.

-Crono is the odd choice here. There's nothing really going against him, but the prospect of him being in Smash over other prominent Square reps just seems... weird to me.

-Sora has the additional hurdle of going through Disney. And while yes, people have tried to downplay this argument, it's still something you have to consider. Sora has to go through 2 companies to get in. As long as one of the companies say no, regardless of which company it is, Sora isn't getting in. So that's why I don't see him as a very likely character.

D

Deleted member

Anyway, I don't think the composer being a ****ty human being is going to stop a DQ rep from getting in. Nintendo's published plenty of DQ game already, so I doubt getting anything into Smash will be too difficult.

As for my predictions, the Square rep is either from DQ (probably Erdrick) or another character that is completely missing from the list.

-Sephiroth has the dilemma of maintaining the source material while balancing him gameplay wise, which is a point I don't see too many supporters take into account.

-Geno is... well Geno. He's still a 20 year old character that's appeared in one game and has had one cameo. That's it. The only reason why he has any chance is because his fanbase is very vocal and supportive of him.

-Crono is the odd choice here. There's nothing really going against him, but the prospect of him being in Smash over other prominent Square reps just seems... weird to me.

-Sora has the additional hurdle of going through Disney. And while yes, people have tried to downplay this argument, it's still something you have to consider. Sora has to go through 2 companies to get in. As long as one of the companies say no, regardless of which company it is, Sora isn't getting in. So that's why I don't see him as a very likely character.
Chrono Trigger, while quite popular, has also been something of a dormant franchise. As much as I would love to have it represented my hopes arent quite high for it, but it for sure is still a possibility.

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet
Apparently beside the bigotry and war-crime denying he's a perfectly fine guy
I mean, those two things would definitely be detractors from being a "perfectly fine guy"...

Semantics aside, if there is a DQ rep, I hope the west doesn't get watered down versions of the OSTs like DQ11 allegedly did. I'm actually interested in trying out DQ11 after seeing all the hub-bub here about the series, but music is a very important aspect in video games for me, so I'd probably play the Steam version with the orchestral soundtrack modded in.

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice
Nice general SE thread.

I honestly feel like Sephiroth has a better chance than any SE rep. He's so iconic and is a fitting villain to the cast. He doesn't really have a big personal supporting fanbase for smash like Geno, but his fanbase in general is large to make sumn happen. I'm really expecting them to blow us out of the water with this one and people will just lose their mind off of this. Also I don't believe his sword is a problem, if he could do sumn with Ridley where he was literally to big to fit in the game, then I think he could adjust his moveset and still keep the source material.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

I would like to point out 2B in Soul Calibur 6 is owned by two companies as well which is Square and Platinum games. This meant Bandai Namco, Square and Platinum shared profits. So the idea Square won’t choose Sora because it would involve three companies sharing profit has been done before. Also keep in mind Square is making two games at the moment for Disney, which is KH3 and the Avengers game. Throw in the fact that Ralph has been spotted in Fortnite and there’s a Black Panther Armor king costume in Tekken 7. It’s clear Disney is willing to share characters they own to game companies.

I’m not saying it is Sora, as this involves Nintendo as well. However the Disney hurdle might not be as big as we think.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

I feel you massively undersell Geno's merits. The team geno twitter post, the mii costume, etc.

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice
I would like to point out 2B in Soul Calibur 6 is owned by two companies as well which is Square and Platinum games. This meant Bandai Namco, Square and Platinum shared profits. So the idea Square won’t choose Sora because it would involve three companies sharing profit has been done before. Also keep in mind Square is making two games at the moment for Disney, which is KH3 and the Avengers game. Throw in the fact that Ralph has been spotted in Fortnite and there’s a Black Panther Armor king costume in Tekken 7. It’s clear Disney is willing to share characters they own to game companies.

I’m not saying it is Sora, as this involves Nintendo as well. However the Disney hurdle might not be as big as we think.
Thank you so much for saying this. I think Disney could see profit into adding their characters into smash. You guys are acting like they aren't for crossover and just like using their characters in their regard. I'm not sure how hard it is to have permission to use a character, but from Sakurai's pacing it looks like nothing can really stop him.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Not really. H.P. Lovecraft was a horrible racist and white supremacist, but people still regard his works as some of the best science fiction of all time.

Nintendo has already dealt with Sugiyama in publishing DQ titles in the West, which means that they could deal with him again. He's a non-issue, and it's only here in the West that people really care about it. Apparently beside the bigotry and war-crime denying he's a perfectly fine guy, and the Japanese don't particularly care about it. They can and will work with him to get DQ music in Smash if they decide to go in that direction. Stop virtue-signaling a much more complicated issue; it's not as easy as "he bad, no game," there's a lot more to it.
...... besides from bigorty and war crime denying he's a perfectly fine guy..... maybe those two things negate him from the status "pretty fine guy'. Just my opinion.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I feel you massively undersell Geno's merits. The team geno twitter post, the mii costume, etc.
I think that Geno biggest problem rn , is if Nintendo is interested by him , and manage to get him.

If he wasn't a SE character, he would be a character in Smash since Sm4sh , since Sakurai think he's worthy of Smash and that he fit in in Smash.

That's litteraly his only problem , beeing a SE character. I Hope Nintendo found a way to buy his rights back , alongside SMRPG.

D

Deleted member

Masamune is too big so just give Sephiroth the Masamune
200px-MasamuneU.png

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice
I think that Geno biggest problem rn , is if Nintendo is interested by him , and manage to get him.

If he wasn't a SE character, he would be a character in Smash since Sm4sh , since Sakurai think he's worthy of Smash and that he fit in in Smash.

That's litteraly his only problem , beeing a SE character. I Hope Nintendo found a way to buy his rights back , alongside SMRPG.
I don't think that's the ONLY reason, but I do agree it's why we don't have him in Smash yet.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
All of this is a product of Geno's fanbase.
He got a Mii costume because the fans that wanted him were vocal enough.
I'm not saying that Geno has no chance, he does have a realistic shot.
But tell me... why would Square, the company that hasn't used him for 2 decades, push him over any of their popular IPs?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I also understand a great deal of the problem with the seperate the artist from their views is we live in a world of multiple type of people.

Almost every job interacts with these people. Artists create product for the masses just as much as being a cashier at Target caters to the masses that will come in to buy groceries and household goods.

People should have the right to not want to see or purchase from someone who is bigoted towards them, no matter how good they are at their job IMO.

I do however also believe that you should give everyone the chance to change and educate them on the opposing views, but if they refuse to change and still hold views that are hurtful and harmful to other people? Then maybe they're in the wrong professions and should be more behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Masamune is too big so just give Sephiroth the Masamune
View attachment 181862
For a second , I thought you were gonna suggest a playable masamune without Sephiroth lol
And I think MajoraMan28 already brought up the fact that the masamune isn't that big in the original boss fight of FF7. Still a long sword tho

Also GhostYB , I think that's really the only reason as to why he wasn't before. Sakurai himself said he wanted the character , except if Miyamoto is like "Lol nope" there's nothing stoping him to be playable if he was a Nintendo rep.

However , i doubt he'll be chosen by Nintendo alone if it was for the Ultimate DLC , even if was a Nintendo character. He would have been more suited for the base game.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
But tell me... why would Square, the company that hasn't used him for 2 decades, push him over any of their popular IPs?
If they got their head out of their ass; they'd know it's good business sense. But it is a lot to expect out of SE, to be fair.

D

Deleted member

This really is what I've been trying to say. They have zero incentive to add him aside from popularity within the core fanbase.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Also worth noting is the fact that Disney has already said they'd be fine with Sora being in as long as Nomura is. So that's more or less a non-issue.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
To not make this thread, seem like Geno bias. I am going to quote what I posted on the Geno thread, as to why it might be Geno as the 2nd Square Rep.

“Geno falls in the unpredictable factor. He would be going against Square business trends, but you have his very high popularity and loyal fans. You also have the nostalgia factor which we have seen can make people want to invest in, because he reminds them of the days of the past. He reminds them of great childhoods, and as Disney has shown us in all their live action remakes, people will pay to have this. So Geno does have a chance just as much as the rest, even if it goes against logic. Because logic cannot predict everything, and business can be unpredictable at times. Sometimes businesses will try something new like Bandai Namco in Tekken 7 having 4 guest characters when Tekken 6 had none. Or like Injustice 2 having 2 guest characters aside from Netherealm properties when Injustice 1 had none. My point is companies are breaking their tradional molds of how they do business more and more as the years progress. It used to be insane when you would see a character from another company in a game thats not theirs. And yet now we have multiple characters instead of only one. So yes, its very possible it is time for Geno to shine. And like iv said before on this thread, if you would have told me how many different company characters we have now during the time of Melee I wouldn't have believed you as back then that was impossible. Snake and Cloud when they were announced were such a shock, because they were thought as impossibilities. So you never know, perhaps its now Geno's turn and prove yet again impossibilities can happen in Smash Bros”

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To not make this thread, seem like Geno bias. I am going to quote what I posted on the Geno thread, as to why it might be Geno as the 2nd Square Rep.

“Geno falls in the unpredictable factor. He would be going against Square business trends, but you have his very high popularity and loyal fans. You also have the nostalgia factor which we have seen can make people want to invest in, because he reminds the of the days of the past. He reminds them of great childhoods, and as Disney has shown us in all their live action remakes, people will pay to have this. So Geno does have a chance just as much as the rest, even if it goes against logic. Because logic cannot predict everything, and business can be unpredictable at times. Sometimes businesses will try something new like Bandai Namco in Tekken 7 having 4 guest characters when Tekken 6 had none. Or like Injustice 2 having 2 guest characters aside from Netherealm properties when Injustice 1 had none. My point is companies are breaking their tradional molds of how they do business more and more as the years progress. It used to be insane when you would see a character from another company in a game thats not theirs. And yet now we have multiple characters instead of only one. So yes, its very possible it is time for Geno to shine. And like iv said before on this thread, if you would have told me how many different company characters we have now during the time of Melee I wouldn't have believed you as back then that was impossible. Snake and Cloud when they were announced were such a shock, because they were thought as impossibilities. So you never know, perhaps its now Geno's turn and prove yet again impossibilities can happen in Smash Bro”
This is certainly an interesting angle. Ultimately we don't really know anything about what's going to happen with the DLC so all we can do is just wait and see what happens.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

So what you're saying is that 2B and Scrooge McDuck will be DLC. ;) I can dream.

Sora not being even considered seems like such a strange narrative to me. I'm with others in that it seems suspicious. He seems like a shoo-in in some cases. Then again, it IS a very strong list. As much as we like to speculate we really do not know the philosophy going into DLC this time around.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
This really is what I've been trying to say. They have zero incentive to add him aside from popularity within the core fanbase.
They only would if SE and Nintendo both agreed to make SMRPG HD/2 , so Geno can cross-promote the game.

However , that need planning , and I don't know if they are both interested. But honestly , if you get your character in Smash , there's an high chance people will buy games with your character in it.
But I admit Geno need more effort than another SE rep for cross-promotion. And I think a HD remake or SMRPG could be complicated , because of the art style and some design choices with the Map , because of the SNES limitation.

D

Deleted member

They only would if SE and Nintendo both agreed to make SMRPG HD/2 , so Geno can cross-promote the game.

However , that need planning , and I don't know if they are both interested. But honestly , if you get your character in Smash , there's an high chance people will buy games with your character in it.
But I admit Geno need more effort than another SE rep for cross-promotion. And I think a HD remake or SMRPG could be complicated , because of the art style and some design choices with the Map , because of the SNES limitation.
The idea of a DLC character tying into a currently unannounced game has crossed my mind. Maybe that could be the case with him.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Geno is a Mario character.

case closed.
He's an Earthbound character , like Sans , get your facts right bro.

And no , Mallow isn't a Mario character , he's a F-Zero character. Everyone know the "Mallow Punch!".

It's getting annoying to see so much misinformations getting spread around.

Jk jk

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice
For a second , I thought you were gonna suggest a playable masamune without Sephiroth lol
And I think MajoraMan28 already brought up the fact that the masamune isn't that big in the original boss fight of FF7. Still a long sword tho

Also GhostYB , I think that's really the only reason as to why he wasn't before. Sakurai himself said he wanted the character , except if Miyamoto is like "Lol nope" there's nothing stoping him to be playable if he was a Nintendo rep.

However , i doubt he'll be chosen by Nintendo alone if it was for the Ultimate DLC , even if was a Nintendo character. He would have been more suited for the base game.
I'm pretty sure they also think about how worthy he actual is and how much he's gonna impact games today. He's literally just been in 1 game from years ago, and I feel like Nintendo looks at that and decides they're could be another pick. I get that he's insanely popular, but wouldn't you think they would add people that would push the gaming industry more?

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet
Geno is a Mario character.

case closed.
I know you're half joking but it's a lot more complicated than that, unfortunately. I think that does bolster Geno's chances, but given SE's lack of interest in using the character in past Nintendo collaborations, it may still be a longshot for Geno.

In the context of Smash, it may make more sense depending on how negotiations between Nintendo and SE went. Nintendo is surely aware of Geno's popularity within the core community via the ballot among other things, and could show objective data with how well the Mii Costume in 4 sold (citing Fatman here). Also remember, they're called negotiations for a reason. Both sides have a fighting say in what happens, and a deal/compromise is made. Nintendo would not be so passive on adding SE characters they feel wouldn't benefit them (which is what I think Sora has going against him regarding current events). This is what makes the SE rep an anomaly to me and others, it could be damn near anyone out of that list.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Do you guy's Nintendo would want to collaborate with Dragon Quest amidst the controversy? If they removed Mr. Game and Watch's feather; I don't think they'd team up with a homophobic war crime denier.
If nobody cares then they’ll do it. They already work with DQ a lot, even publishing titles.

You guy's would be okay with getting DQ character in DLC, even though money would be going to the composer?
Yeah, the guy has talent, he makes a product I like, he deserves the money.

I’m not gonna pirate Hacksaw Ridge just because I dislike Mel Gibson as a person.

Black Panther is the Square rep???
Prepare your defenses.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I'm pretty sure they also think about how worthy he actual is and how much he's gonna impact games today. He's literally just been in 1 game from years ago, and I feel like Nintendo looks at that and decides they're could be another pick. I get that he's insanely popular, but wouldn't you think they would add people that would push the gaming industry more?
Yeah , as DLC , if SMRPG HD/2 isn't on the way , or have plans to do it , I don't think they'll pick him , except if they just want that first character to be THE fan favorite. And then , SE still need to agree... Yeah he's easier to get than the others SE rep , but they don't get much for the future without SMRPG. And they can't really use Geno's character outside of the Mario World.

But I was just talking about as to why Geno would be a playable character since Brawl/Sm4sh , if he was Nintendo.

If Sakurai want to include the character , then there is no reason to debate this , for Sakurai , he's worthy of a playable character slot.
I don't think he changed his mind on the matter , since he went for the Geno Mii costume in 4 , not Sephiroth or Terra. And then ,
Geno and Mallow are Spirits in Ultimate , It's kind of a downgrade , but since every third party costume is removed , that was expected.
that show that Sakurai is still interested in him.

I just think he would have been a shoe in for the base roster of Sm4sh , since Sakurai wanted characters with unique gimmick (Geno has the timed hits) and Geno was a perfect character for that. Of course , if he was Nintendo.

And as for DLCs , we still are in a grey area.

We know that Nintendo picked the characters , but Sakurai still had a word on the matter. We can look at the DLCs of others Nintendo Switch games to see how they handled it. There is some fan-service , like with Star Allies(but It's still free DLC) and stuff like Pauline in Tennis Aces , but on the other hand , people are begging for Odyssey and MK8 Deluxe DLCs , and Nintendo hasn't done anything.
The first character will maybe set the tone for future DLCs fighters in Ultimate.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm warming up to DQ and Crono. At this point the only character that would disappoint me is slime. Or chocobo if that somehow happened. I absolutely despise generic species characters in smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, I'll be honest, after we get the SE character if it's indeed real, I'll probably have fun playing as whoever it is.

However, I'm only interested in Geno mostly, with my only other interests being Slime and Crono, and my interest in Chrono Trigger is mainly because of how it looks plus Robo Astley.

Also, sorry if I come off sensitive to Geno being downplayed; I've seen Geno hate that somehow tends to throw the character's fans under the bus (not on this thread) so I find it hard not to feel sensitive. Tbh I felt the same way with Steve, and Skull Kid too although I only saw like one Gamefaqs thread that was seemingly rude about him (and maybe a misinformed post about the character).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, I'll be honest, after we get the SE character if it's indeed real, I'll probably have fun playing as whoever it is.

However, I'm only interested in Geno mostly, with my only other interests being Slime and Crono, and my interest in Chrono Trigger is mainly because of how it looks plus Robo Astley.

Also, sorry if I come off sensitive to Geno being downplayed; I've seen Geno hate that somehow tends to throw the character's fans under the bus (not on this thread) so I find it hard not to feel sensitive. Tbh I felt the same way with Steve.
I have nothing against Geno fans, but I'm just concerned that some may just be setting themselves up for disappointment. A lot seem to be completely convinced that Geno is absolutely in which as I've said before you should absolutely never be certain about any of this speculation.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I have nothing against Geno fans, but I'm just concerned that some may just be setting themselves up for disappointment. A lot seem to be completely convinced that Geno is absolutely in which as I've said before you should absolutely never be certain about any of this speculation.
What you're doing right now is coming off as concern trolling, if you aren't aware.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This is exactly my sentiment. I've never been a fan of blind bias and convincing yourself that a character is a shoe-in, which is my chief problem with some of the Geno fanbase.

I just don't want people to get their hopes up and then be disappointed, because that's not good for them (they feel bad) or us (some turn on people in the boards or the developers and make us look bad).

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I'd be content with pretty much whatever we got. If it came down to it I'd rather have characters from series not yet represented in Smash. I'm not too interested in Kingdom Hearts, but Sora is a popular request, so that'd be cool. I'd really like Dragon Quest/Chrono Trigger or something from that era though.

Of course, this is assuming any of this SE stuff actually pans out. I'm not betting on anything.

D

Deleted member

What you're doing right now is coming off as concern trolling, if you aren't aware.
I'm sorry that I come off that way, but do I not have a point? Convincing yourself of anything that is uncertain is always potentially bad news.

Top Bottom