• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Here's a question. If square played us all, and every character on the list is leak bait, then who do you think the real square rep is?
Quina from Final Fantasy IX. Fight me (JK) :4pacman:

All seriousness, I could not think of a candidate to fill the 7's shoes.

EDIT: A.G.L. A.G.L. showed this picture and I fell in love with it. If I can somehow make a Snake with a Geno Headband....hmmmm

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I would hardly call it good. Especially if it's motivated by driving up Square's profits without showing love to a near 10 year fanbase.
Look dude. I have no interest in a Dragon Quest character myself, but a 10 year fanbase is nothing compared to the 32 years of Dragon Quest history a Dragon Quest rep would bring.

It might not light fire in most of the world, but 32 years as a thriving franchise? That's nothing to just shrug off.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Here's a question. If square played us all, and every character on the list is leak bait, then who do you think the real square rep is?
Hmmm GoeGoe GoeGoe thinks its Neku and he may have a point. Aside from Geno, Neku is the next easiest Square pick that doesn't have all the legal issues. Also his game is already on the Switch. (I summon thee GoeGoe GoeGoe to provide more of a reason why Neku would be the best choice, as thou are more knowledgable of Neku) :p

I personally think its DQ character or Sora as that makes Square the most money off of cross promotion, which they love.

I like to also throw in Geno is not out of the running, he may get a game remaster from the Octopath team that is making Square remasters on the Switch. If this is the case then Square can cross promote off of him, which they love doing.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Let's be honest. Every console war, if you could call it that, has been defined by who dominates the casual market.
The gamers try to make it about themselves, but it never was. The console with the larger mass appeal gets to sell the most, be it by their software or hardware.
They already have Isabelle and Inkling. Casual fan's aren't the audience for DLC anyways.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
...Ummmm Hi? I like Square games. Final Fantasy VII was my first Final Fantasy and I like all the others (That even means VIII, I like that one to).

So what is the debate going gang?
I love VIII so much.
I'm not saying that at all. But you gotta see it through a business perspective, I could totally see a fan-pleaser character getting in from the ballot but I think I've already made my point.
Heck, Ridley, K. Rool, and all the returning veterans are without a doubt ballot results. I could see another one getting in like Arle, Bandana Dee, or, yes, Geno, but there's also a lot of surprises to consider. It's all very interesting.
Neku. Please let it be Neku.

Probably Lara. In an impossible dream world it's 2B.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I would hardly call it good. Especially if it's motivated by driving up Square's profits without showing love to a near 10 year fanbase.
You know that people wanted Crono/Sora/Cloud even as back as the brawl days right? That doesn't makes the Geno fanbase a special snowflakes in that department.
All of those Characters have a large fanbase.
Geno's fanbase only exists within Smash because well..where should it go?
Sora Fanbase is on All KH website and Forum
Cloud's Fanbase is literally Anyone who knows what an RPG is.
Etc etc...

What make the Geno fanbase special is because the only way their Characters could survive that long in the modern discussion was because it's the only place they can "exist" it was the same for K.Rool and Ridley, two Characters with one a last appearance as back to the 90 and the other a dormant franchise ever since the announcement of Prime 4.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
They already have Isabelle and Inkling. Casual fans aren't the audience for DLC anyways.
That's a bold claim if I've ever heard one. Are you saying that Ryu, Bayonetta, and Cloud were just for Smash fans?

Nintendo is a business, and they need to sell everyone on DLC just like any other product. I'd even say they'd want to cater to casuals more because they're the ones least likely to buy DLC, and are therefore where the most money is lost.

D

Deleted member

One thing that has been on my mind not just regarding the leaked list of potential SE DLC characters, but for speculation for DLC as a whole is that there could be the possibility of a character being released to promote an unannounced game, in this case perhaps a remake of Chrono Trigger or SMRPG. What do you guys think?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
All they said was that Simon performed better in the Ballot than we thought, and that K. Rool's ballot popularity is what got Nintendo to get their head out of their *****.
That could be incredibly telling with the DLC pics. Honestly, I am happy with whoever, but this can be encouraging for the future.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You know that people wanted Crono/Sora/Cloud even as back as the brawl days right? That doesn't makes the Geno fanbase a special snowflakes in that department.
All of those Characters have a large fanbase.
Geno's fanbase only exists within Smash because well..where should it go?
Sora Fanbase is on All KH website and Forum
Cloud's Fanbase is literally Anyone who knows what an RPG is.
Etc etc...

What make the Geno fanbase special is because the only way their Characters could survive that long in the modern discussion was because it's the only place they can "exist" it was the same for K.Rool and Ridley, two Characters with one a last appearance as back to the 90 and the other a dormant franchise ever since the announcement of Prime 4.
I'm not talking about Chrono/Cloud/Sora. They have valid reasons to be in Smash. I'm talking about the Midi Mastermind themself; Dragon Quest.

If the pick isn't on the list I wouldn't be too surprised if chocobo was the rep. Wasn't the bird on people's lists for Melee?

D

Deleted member

I'm not talking about Chrono/Cloud/Sora. They have valid reasons to be in Smash. I'm talking about the Midi Mastermind themself; Dragon Quest.
I've already explained but I'll explain it again. Dragon Quest pretty much created the JRPG genre. Every turn based JRPG you can think of derived something from it. That and its massive popularity and selling power in Japan.
If this isnt a sufficient explenation then I dont know what is

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
In my opinion? If Square wanted the MOST money that would cater to the MOST people.

I'm talking hardcore gamers, casual gamers, general audience gamers, everyone.

They'd go with Sora.

He's big everywhere. Kingdom Hearts is megawatt. KH3 was the most talked about and wanted sequel before it's reveal and now that it's close the hype is large and in charge for a lot of people bcause it's a big long pay off to a long wait.

The Disney connection helps propel him to audiences that would not normally touch games of the Kingdom Hearts style.

And casual gamers who are just picking up Smash because it's a massive crossover and don't follow hardcore speculation?

Well, they'll still know who Sora is, because again the Disney connection literally ensures a strong chance that Sora has been in front of the eyes that characters like Erdrick, Geno and Crono simply can't cover.

And that's not to knock Geno or Crono because they are my boys and I'll gladly accept them.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
They already have Isabelle and Inkling. Casual fan's aren't the audience for DLC anyways.
Do you have any idea how many people bought a Wii U alone just to play Cloud and Ryu?
Have you not seen Maximillian Dood and his fans?
My college has a few chill dudes who are more into PS who went nuts and bought the Switch just for them. DLC is for people who didn't find a reason to buy the base game already. Out there characters move units.

And the S-E rep that would not be one of the mentioned... I can only think of Tifa, tbh. Bc the 7 are pretty much the must haves that we don't have in Smash yet.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
That's a bold claim if I've ever heard one. Are you saying that Ryu, Bayonetta, and Cloud were just for Smash fans?

Nintendo is a business, and they need to sell everyone on DLC just like any other product. I'd even say they'd want to cater to casuals more because they're the ones least likely to buy DLC, and are therefore where the most money is lost.
Especially, Ryu and Cloud they earned nothing back from their DLC. It was nothing but nickels and dimes for them from the casual audience. :p

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Do you have any idea how many people bought a Wii U alone just to play Cloud and Ryu?
My college has a few chill dudes who are more into PS who went nuts and bought the Switch just for them. DLC is for people who didn't find a reason to buy the base game already. Out there characters move units.

And the S-E rep that would not be one of the mentioned... I can only think of Tifa, tbh. Bc the 7 are pretty much the must haves that we don't have in Smash yet.
This is SO biased; it isn't even funny.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I actually think Sakurai / Nintendo do a pretty good job balancing the desires of both the hardcore and casual fans:

Ridley
Simon
K. Rool

Inkling
Isabelle
Incineroar

D

Deleted member

I actually think Sakurai / Nintendo do a pretty good job balancing the desires of both the hardcore and casual fans:

Ridley
Simon
K. Rool

Inkling
Isabelle
Incineroar
I agree. The fact that Sakurai isn't choosing the DLC makes me a lot more skeptical about that balance, though.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I've already explained but I'll explain it again. Dragon Quest pretty much created the JRPG genre. Every turn based JRPG you can think of derived something from it. That and its massive popularity and selling power in Japan.
If this isnt a sufficient explenation then I dont know what is
Just cause they created it; doesn't mean it's good. Adventure might have created Adventure game's, but would anyone say it holds a candle to somthing like Skyrim? Seniority does not equal Superiority

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Lmfao.
I don't think I have anything else to say except "chill dude".
Where the heck is it biased..... I've given you an explanation of what happened with S4's DLC. I'm talking about an existing fanbase of people that moved themselves to stores to play the game bc of the DLC. I'm not being biased in any way.
The S-E rep that wasn't mentioned I went with Tifa for an obvious reason. She is the only other major character outside of Sephiroth that would make a good character for FFVII. Every other character in that list is a main protagonist of their respective series. Asking for secondary characters from a series that wasn't in Smash before is juvenile, to say the least.

D

Deleted member

In my opinion? If Square wanted the MOST money that would cater to the MOST people.

They'd go with Sora.

He's big everywhere. Kingdom Hearts is megawatt. KH3 was the most talked about and wanted sequel before it's reveal and now that it's close the hype is large and in charge for a lot of people bcause it's a big long pay off to a long wait.

The Disney connection helps propel him to audiences that would not normally touch games of the Kingdom Hearts style.

And casual gamers who are just picking up Smash because it's a massive crossover and don't follow hardcore speculation?

Well, they'll still know who Sora is, because again the Disney connection literally ensures a strong chance that Sora has been in front of the eyes that characters like Erdrick, Geno and Crono simply can't cover.

And that's not to knock Geno or Crono because they are my boys and I'll gladly accept them.
This certainly makes a lot of sense. Only issue I can think of is Disney themselves.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hmmm if they wanted to cater to everyone with DLC...

It would have to be Sephiroth.

A lot of people in the West know who that is, memorable Final Fantasy 7 character/villain in the game second to Cloud and would be a wow factor (to an extent)

It truly is tough to say WHO its actually going to be. @_____@

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Lmfao.
I don't think I have anything else to say except "chill dude".
Where the heck is it biased..... I've given you an explanation of what happened with S4's DLC. I'm talking about an existing fanbase of people that moved themselves to stores to play the game bc of the DLC. I'm not being biased in any way.
The S-E rep that wasn't mentioned I went with Tifa for an obvious reason. She is the only other major character outside of Sephiroth that would make a good character for FFVII. Every other character in that list is a main protagonist of their respective series. Asking for secondary characters from a series that wasn't in Smash before is juvenile, to say the least.
I mean these stats your flinging have no backing to them. None.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just cause they created it; doesn't mean it's good. Adventure might have created Adventure game's, but would anyone say it holds a candle to somthing like Skyrim? Seniority does not equal Superiority
Why do you think it's so successful to this day if it's bad like you claim?

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

EDIT: A.G.L. A.G.L. showed this picture and I fell in love with it. If I can somehow make a Snake with a Geno Headband....hmmmm
We should come up with a new picture, Snake, Geno and Noctis all eating ramen from a Cup Noodle. :)

They'd go with Sora.

Agree couldn't have said it better, Sora aside from Cloud is the next most globally popular Square character. If Disney didn't own him, I don't think we would even be speculating this much on who the 2nd Square rep is.

D

Deleted member

You say that... but Quina would actually be a ton of fun. Or really any Blue Mage from FF.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

It's funny because while Ken wasn't surprising to people here, FGC members went NUTS for Ken and Incineroar. Ken got them in the door, and that made them realize there was a cool Pokemon that played like Zangief/Alex and now they're thinking of getting into comp Smash.

Strong third parties and icons work. And you don't get stronger than the idea of being able to pit the two biggest RPGs against each other in DQ and FF. This is an RPG that created the aesthetics of so many RPGs, that is featured in GameCenter CX among other things. It's a big deal! And if we throw Tales into the mix...who could resist three LEGENDARY RPG franchises facing off in Smash?

There's so much to consider here. I'm not saying DQ is likely, just that there's very real reasons why it would be on the table.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I mean these stats your flinging have no backing to them. None.
I literally said the name of a predominant personality in the FGC and you're telling me that I didn't give anything.
Also, do you want me to make a research, go to every single house that has a Wii U and a PS4 and ask them about the DLC to give you the numbers? Bc you certainly don't have the numbers to prove me otherwise.

D

Deleted member

It may have been successful THEN but from what I've watched of the games, new and old, it's aged like cheese you found behind the dumpster. Not very well.
DQXI sold 3 million in Japan a couple months after launch, which is fantastic numbers in Japan. Most games in Japan don't break 1 million at launch.
The series has sold 70 million copies in total over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
This guy apparently has a problem with Dragon Quest being in Smash when it has historical siginficance in the RPG landscape. Heck DQ, is the reason why half of the other Square RPGs probably wouldn't exists because of Dragon Quest. It established a formula, it is deserving. Its important to not only Square, but it's important to gaming in general. We get it, you seem to be anti-bias against DQ, but you YET also think people are trying to downplay Geno. How about you stop throwing Dragon Quest under the bus when SMRPG wouldn't exist if Dragon Quest didn't establish the RPG formula. Think about that, before throwing away a whole franchise for NO REASON!

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
It's funny because while Ken wasn't surprising to people here, FGC members went NUTS for Ken and Incineroar. Ken got them in the door, and that made them realize there was a cool Pokemon that played like Zangief/Alex and now they're thinking of getting into comp Smash.

Strong third parties and icons work. And you don't get stronger than the idea of being able to pit the two biggest RPGs against each other in DQ and FF . It is mad tempting. This is an RPG that created the aesthetics of so many RPGs, that is featured in GameCenter CX among other things. It's a big deal! And if we throw Tales into the mix...who could resist three LEGENDARY RPG franchises facing off in Smash?

There's so much to consider here. I'm not saying DQ is likely, just that there's very real reasons why it would be on the table.
I can attest to this I mean Ken will be the character I main in Smash Ultimate, if that was not obvious from my signature. I can attest I saw Ken coming in as soon as they mentioned echo fighters. Im just surprised he isn't really that much of an echo fighter. He actually fights really different from Ryu, and I still can't believe they gave him a Final Smash from the Vs series.

Also when talking about Incineroar the announcer even says his move is like a red cyclone, he is clearly referencing Zangief here. Also I agree if its not Heihachi as Bandai Namco's rep its going to be Lloyd.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If anything I'm surprised Eight isn't on the list. That's the DQ hero I think of when I think of the series. Erdeick just below. Then again, I don't have a huge history with the series outside of the Game Boy Color games. Plus I hear that it was mostly huge in the West and just pulled, well, regular DQ numbers in Japan.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I literally said the name of a predominant personality in the FGC and you're telling me that I didn't give anything.
Also, do you want me to make a research, go to every single house that has a Wii U and a PS4 and ask them about the DLC to give you the numbers? Bc you certainly don't have the numbers to prove me otherwise.
Personally I've never even heard of him.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
This guy apparently has a problem with Dragon Quest being in Smash when it has historical siginficance in the RPG landscape. Heck DQ, is the reason why half of the other Square RPGs probably wouldn't exists because of Dragon Quest. It established a formula, it is deserving. Its important to not only Square, but it's important to gaming in general. We get it, you seem to be anti-bias against DQ, but you YET also think people are trying to downplay Geno. How about you stop throwing Dragon Quest under the bus when SMRPG wouldn't exist if Dragon Quest didn't establish the RPG formula. Think about that, before throwing away a whole franchise for NO REASON!
This is kind of why I am OK if DQ gets in. It would be a retro rep getting in the game.

Pac-Man brought arcades
Duck Hunt brought innovation to the console
Dragon Quest would bring the Father of JRPGs

Though I am a Geno fan through and through, I will be happy with whatever. I'd be a bit sad, but I know whoever it is, Sakurai will do them justice.

D

Deleted member

If anything I'm surprised Eight isn't on the list. That's the DQ hero I think of when I think of the series. Erdeick just below. Then again, I don't have a huge history with the series outside of the Game Boy Color games. Plus I hear that it was mostly huge in the West and just pulled, well, regular DQ numbers in Japan.
Yeah, you got that on the nose about DQ8. It's for sure the most popular/well-known in the West, so maybe if Erdrick or the Luminary is one of the DLC characters and if it turns out they can come with echo fighters, he could be that.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Giving my two cents here, I think Sephiroth is actually the most likely Square character out of all seven. Why? Easy job, most people that know Cloud know who Sephiroth is, we're talking about a Bowser-tier villain in video game history, and seniority is what got many of these guests in to begin with. I think many people are sleeping on him because Cloud's in, but then again, remember when everyone thought that there wouldn't be more than one character per company? Or when they said the same for franchises? We have Ken and Richter now. "But they're echos!", these limits can be broken so long as Sakurai wills it so. Some people also mentioned that the Dragon Quest characters have more mentions, but as far as I've seen, they do it only when grouped together, Seph probably has more mentions if we count them individually. Not saying they can't do Erdrick, Sora, or even Geno, but fame takes precedence, more so if the character gets announced at TGAs.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I can attest to this I mean Ken will be the character I main in Smash Ultimate, if that was not obvious from my signature. I can attest I saw Ken coming in as soon as they mentioned echo fighters. Im just surprised he isn't really that much of an echo fighter. He actually fights really different from Ryu, and I still can't believe they gave him a Final Smash from the Vs series.

Also when talking about Incineroar the announcer even says his move is like a red cyclone, he is clearly referencing Zangief here. Also I agree if its not Heihachi as Bandai Namco's rep its going to be Lloyd.
And to further expand this point, look at Lloyd and Heihachi. You either get:

1. One of the icons of the modern JRPG era, a character who was huge for Nintendo when he first hit the scene, and you get to have Lloyd vs. Cloud or even Lloyd vs. FE characters, etc. Big time crossover matches.

OR

2. An icon of one of the biggest current fighting game series', another character fans of that series will look at and think "oh, maybe I should give this fighting game a shot". Then they'll see Ryu and maybe even others they like to play and before you know it a whole new demographic will be invested in Smash. Plus who doesn't want Street Fighter vs. Tekken to happen again on a neutral battleground?

You can see by these rumored choices that DLC needs to strike that balance between recognizable and fan favorite while also having targeted appeal. Even something like Pirahna Plant worked because of the silliness factor. Every fighter has a unique charm that appeals to someone.

And yes, that DOES include Geno! He's all over Smash YouTube. You look at any "predictions" or "hopes" video, someone brings up Geno. His name is out there in a lot of the public's eye just via that, and he has the benefit of the Cool Factor. But just because he has a shot doesn't mean someone like literally anyone else on that list doesn't. It's what makes this so tricky and exciting - every single character on the list can be argued for and SHOULD be argued for.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Even I know Eight and I'm the least experienced Dragon Quest western gamer.

Which is why the list of Dragon Quest is weird to me.

Is it just hard to composite Erdrick and Eight into one character? Because the narrative seems to suggest that possibility with Erdrick and Luminary.

If you really wanted to give Westerners a face they might recognize in Smash for Dragon Quest, Eight does seem to be your best chance.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even I know Eight and I'm the least experienced Dragon Quest western gamer.

Which is why the list of Dragon Quest is weird to me.

Is it just hard to composite Erdrick and Eight into one character? Because the narrative seems to suggest that possibility with Erdrick and Luminary.

If you really wanted to give Westerns a face they might recognize in Smash for Dragon Quest, Eight does seem to be your best chance.
The story of DQ8 is completely unconnected to DQ3 and DQ11, so no. Plus even if they did that with Erdrick and the Luminary, it would be really weird for people learning about DQ through Smash.

Top Bottom