• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Split Stick Desync

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
To start, I did not discover this.

Credit goes to a dude named Hameln for being the first person I could find to post about this. However, I'm going to expand a little bit of what he discovered with some of my own findings

Original Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=277437

Inputs to Perform: HOLD DOWN ATTACK BUTTON > Analogue control stick input one horizontal direction to initiate a dash > Immediately Cstick set to smash the opposite horizontal direction > Desynced with one climber charging an Fsmash in direction of cstick input while the other is free to act

For example: Hold Attack > control stick left > cstick right > desynced

Obviously this is easier to perform if you're using a custom control setup with a shoulder button (I use R) as attack.

If done from a stand still, Popo will charge an Fsmash. If you flick the control stick in the direction for too long, Nana will be stuck in Dash animation. If you're nearly frame perfect with your flick, she'll actually simply do a turn around animation, similar to the glitchy look she gets when performing a successful LD1 or LD2.

One main advantage of this desync is that it's probably one of two true dashless desyncs (the other being the dtilt desync) I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't involve hitlag or jumping/landing. Edit: I guess Grab Desync, Shield Drop, Squall, and Belay also are dashless now that I think about it. Grab Desync is usefull for obvious reasons, and I love Squall however the startup is different thus should be used in different situations.

So for example if you're trying to be completely safe one could manipulate inputs to do the following:

Run > Shield Cancel Run > Shield drop > During shield drop frames, hold down on attack > Split Stick Desync with cstick going in the reverse direction > Popo charging fsmash with Nana ready to perform any action, done out of run minus the shield drop frames.

Now, if you're familiar with LD1 timing at all, an interesting phenomenon occurs when this desync is done out of the cooldown of non-LD2 exceptions (IB, Blizzard, Spot Dodge, Crouch, Roll, I suspect Belay, Taunt, I suspect Belay but I never actually bothered to test it). But if done with the cstick in the reverse direction in the timing similar to an LD1, you'll actually come out desynced in the situation where Nana is charging the fsmash, and Popo is free to move.

Given that you can squall cancel the fsmash at any time (including before it's even used out of charge), you have a bunch of quirky mixups that can be performed. That means essentially, you can go straight to nana charge deception out of Jump, Aerials, Attacks, Run/Dash Cooldowns, EVEN Shield drop, if you know a few mechanics that allow you to bring up shield when hold down the attack button.

For example, one could cycle like so while reading opponent's actions while remaining liquid and fairly mobile:

Squall desync > Split Stick Desync > Squall Cancel > Squall Desync > Split Stick Desync > Squall Cancel

Given the current norm is to use specials out of desyncs, I feel like this has the potential to be a huge dynamic addition to ICs metagame if explored further. It opens up options that are fairly opposite to the current metagame.

If you have questions or need clarification, let me know. Discuss :)

DeLux

DeLux

LD1
LD2
LD3
LD9000

:D what?
Lux Desync 1
Lux Desync 2

There is no LD3 YET, I still haven't figured out what I'm trying to base it off of, but I stumbled upon a promising theory
LD9000

Also, I have educated guesses as to why Split Stick Desync works. I could explain to you on Skype at some point when I'm off work. I'm basing it on my undertstanding of the stutter step/true pivot mechanics, and in my head it makes sense.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yeah I know but I still don't know what that is :D give it a practical name already.

DeLux

We're still working on a practical name for the Hylian Desync based on what it does. Making a practical name for LD1 would be like

Buffered Walk to Reverse Initial Dash Nana Turnaround Setup Desync

Sieguest

Smash Master
Yika is about to make Lux retrogress back to using ridiculously long acronyms ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....

(inb4ea)

DeLux

The irony is, Yika wants to call a Grab Aerial the nonsensical Zair when the practical name is Gair based objectively on Brawl :)

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yeah thats a totally fair comparison! (noooot, usuck)

the only characters that have a gair are Yoshi, Wario and Bowser. (perhaps you can count the sucker too)

DeLux

? The only character with LD1 is ICs

I don't understand your point Yika

Yikarur

Smash Master
your use of gair is not correct. :) because you can't grab people in air with a Zair!

DeLux

But I thought you wanted me to name things practically based on their inputs?

In order to Grab Aerial, I need to input Grab, in the air.

It doesn't grab people, but from an objective practical standpoint the game reads a grab input.
Zair is impractical because not everyone inputs it with Z. Even on default controls, it can be input using the cstick.

DeLux

Why not? They're both arbitrary
My point being, give me a better name for LD1/2 and we'll change it

Yikarur

Smash Master
Zair.

Z Aerial

Air move done by pressing Z by default controls

Delux Desynch

done by pressing the delux button! :0 no wait

you can't compare them.

DeLux

You have yet to come up with a better name.

What button do I press to LD1?

I could call it "Hold forward to buffer a walk prior to the 10 frame buffer window and within five frames of the first action frame buffer a reverse initial dash and during the dash animation of Popo input an action for Nana" Desync

From now on, based on the Zair principle, LD1 must now be called HFBWP10FBW&W5FFAFBRIDDDAPNI Desync

Unlike Zair though, that's the only way to perform the HFBWP10FBW&W5FFAFBRIDDDAPNI Desync

I'd be at a loss of what to name the HFBWP10FBW&W5FFAFBRIDDDAPNI Desync if there were multiple ways to input it. Like Shield + Cstick Aerial attack aka SCair

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Desyncs aren't that useful...I did LD1 against Red Halberd but got hit out of it :( He daired me.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I know, I baited a run in and I SH Bair LD1, he dashed and then FH daired my popo or something. You will see it, the vids are gonna be up soon (if they aren't already up)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Because ICs are fun, and I like making people beat them before I go pikachu. I beat Seibrik game 1 and Red Halberd all 3 games with ICs, so :D

Yikarur

Smash Master
good job :) I started playing them too because they are so much fun. My new Falco CP :D

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
played around with it for a little while, doing it out of squall is AMAZING! nana charges a Fsmash and popo does whatever he wants :D

DeLux

If you buffer it correctly out of the cooldown of any non LD2 exception, that situation occurs.

DeLux

de Lux Desync 1 is a buffered desync that requires nana to have two frames of start up before executing a move.

de Lux Desync 2 is de Lux Desync 1 backwards non buffered.

Yikarur

Smash Master
de Lux Desync 1 is a buffered desync that requires nana to have two frames of start up before executing a move.

de Lux Desync 2 is de Lux Desync 1 backwards non buffered.

Delux explanations - so bad.

DeLux

This isn't the Q&A thread Yika. It's the Split Stick Desync Thread.

I've written numerous times what they are and how to do them even though it's hard to explain :\. I even made videos. And explain what they were in this thread.

Since you know what they both are, why don't you explain it to him?

Top Bottom