• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
The Inklings had my vote during the Smash Ballot long ago, so I'm pretty glad that they're the first revealed newcomers. Can't wait to see how they play.

Also, regarding the Inklings, I had a thought... What if the Inklings got something similar to Snake's Codecs/Palutena's Guidance where the Squid Sisters pop up and do a whole Inkopolis News styled routine to give stage tips? (And throw in a few comments on the environment. I think it'd be interesting to hear things like Callie wishing to participate in Mario Kart or Marie's thoughts on Onett's traffic hazards.)

D

Deleted member

Inklings overall will be fun characters to play as can 't wait to see how they function.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna bet that after inking enough turf, Inklings will get access to a special weapon (probably splashdown) just like Little Mac and his K.O. punch. I'm saying this because having their core mechanic be limited ammo in return for what is essentially a fast run speed sounds like too big of a trade off by itself.

Also, how long do people think the ink is going to stick around for? My bet is 15-20 seconds.

D

Deleted member

Yeah 15-20 minutes I’d say then it vanishes. I’m guessing Splattershot will be their neutral special, maybe super jump can be up b. Splat roller side b, splat charger down b, and so forth. I’m guessing aerials, standard attacks, and smashes will be a mix of all these and final smash can be. Killer Wail or Kraken. This is only assumption on my part.

But hopefully we’ll find out soon enough.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I'm saying this because having their core mechanic be limited ammo in return for what is essentially a fast run speed sounds like too big of a trade off by itself.
There's also low profiling, stealth and slowing down your opponent.

Mafew

Smash Rookie
I’m glad they’re in, maybe the reason they weren’t DLC for Smash 4 was because they would have created to many partial effects for the 3ds

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
There's also low profiling, stealth and slowing down your opponent.
I mean,we won't know anything until the next direct (e3?), but I'd be hard pressed to say that ink slows down other players. I don't think any character has ever had access to such a powerful and unavoidable debuff . Maybe there's more damage when standing on it or something like that, but reduced speed seems very unsmash-like to me.

D

Deleted member

Slows down people for a while, whilst only being there for a bit yeah could see it.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
or the inkling can swim around in their ink and if they pop up under an opponent it does damage

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
or the inkling can swim around in their ink and if they pop up under an opponent it does damage
I could see that potentially being broken, unless they can still be hit while in that state.

D

Deleted member

In Splatoon if your stuck in enemies ink you slow down. Maybe if the Inklings ink lingers you get stuck for a couple of seconds. They maybe able to swim around in their ink but that also last maybe a minute or so to keep it fair!

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
How long the ink sticks around might be our first indicator of how fast paced the gameplay is going to be.

If the game is slow, players will spend a lot of time in neutral looking to create an opening. This means that there would be a lot of opportunities to spread ink and reclaim turf. Since it would be so easy to claim turf, the ink wouldn't have to stick as long.

On the other hand, if the game heavily favors aggression and allows 10+ second combos, you won't have time to ink turf, so the ink that you do put down needs to stay longer.

And while I'm making pointless guesses based on nothing, here's my moveset prediction:
U Special: Superjump (obviously)
S Special: Splat bomb (only because it was in the cinematic)
N Special: Splattershot (a bit of an obscure weapon, I know)
D Special: Splashdown (because I still think the ink mechanic isn't going to work in the Inkling's favor without some boost)

D

Deleted member

Yeah I guess so we'll see soon enough finding out mechanics Inklings speed etc. soon enough it'll be telling of how they move ECT!

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I'm super excited for the inklings. I got really into Splatoon after Smash 4 came out (Sploon and Sploon 2 are my most played games on Wii U and Switch, respectively) so having them in Smash is going to be great. I'm looking forward to having Sploon music in Smash too. I miss Splattack...

What stage do you think we'll get? Right now I feel like it'll probably be Inkopolis Plaza/Square or a iconic map from the first game like Urchin Underpass or Walleye Warehouse.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Hey, I was an Inkling supporter in the old thread even before Smash 4 came out, but I stopped coming to the site once the DLC was done. Now that we have a new Smash game coming, it's time to begin the speculation again.

But anyway, Smash Switch with playable Inklings confirmed for release this year! Congrats to all our fellow Inkling supporters!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Really pleased they are being included. I was a supporter, too and it was clear they would come sooner or later.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i wonder if we'll get any splatoon items, the splatbrella could work just as it does in splatoon 2

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys think they are going to work around color blindness? The original games have a color lock option that makes all matches orange vs blue, but can that work for four (or possibly eight) different colors?

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
How do you guys think they are going to work around color blindness? The original games have a color lock option that makes all matches orange vs blue, but can that work for four (or possibly eight) different colors?
The only reason this matters in Splatoon is because the colors are randomly chosen for you. In Smash, if you're playing against another Inkling you can just choose the color that looks different than the other one, just like you would any other Smash character. Being in a match with 4 Inklings, let alone 8, isn't likely. Unless you go out of your way to do it... but if you're color blind, why would you? There's no way to get around color blindness once you start having 4+ Inklings in a match. That's just the way it is.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I wonder if we'll get any information on how the Inklings fight before E3. I assume the Invitational tourney build will have the Inklings available. They may at least want that information out there in case any of the people going know at least a little bit of how they play in case any of them decide to use them in the tourney.

Granted, I don't remember how much time the people in the 2014 tourney had to practice their characters. But most of the characters in the tourney even the newcomers had pre-established special moves and other things out there for people to get an idea how they fight. (Though to be fair most of the characters were veterans that many knew how to play anyway)

I'll try not to get my hopes up too high, but I hope this fact means we'll get some kind of info dump prior to E3. Whether they decide to have a full-on Smash direct or a normal direct that just happens to have a Smash Bros. section for it. At the very least have the Smash site start sharing info soon enough hopefully.

On a side note though, while I'm a few weeks late. Congrats to all the Inkling supporters for their character getting in Smash ^^ They should be fun characters regardless how they're done.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Inkling ink slowing down opponents while giving squid mode a quick way to travel leans toward a high probability of an overpowered mechanic.

Instead of ink slowing down opponents, maybe it could coat their feet. Moving along the floor allows the ink to spread on that surface, increasing the scope of the ink.

Also, an ink soaked person can also spread ink.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i really hope one of their taunts is just the word booya appearing like in splatoon itself

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I very much think all of their moveset will be derived from the first game, also I’m probably alone on this but I’d like if the character was called Agent 3 over inkling, to give them a little more characterization. I doubt that though haha

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm confident that the Inklings won the Smash Ballot (Remember, Bayonetta did NOT finish 1st)

But I have to wonder what made them 'un-realizable' to be made for Smash U/3DS.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm confident that the Inklings won the Smash Ballot (Remember, Bayonetta did NOT finish 1st)

someone was feeling spiteful

on a lighter note next euro splafest popcorn: salty or sweet?

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman

I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai considered the Inklings since as early as the original E3 reveal of the first Splatoon, but he probably wanted to implement a moveset that actually made use of the "Paint the stage and use it to fight" mechanic. He probably couldn't work it out, thus "Un-realizable".

With Inkling being the most obvious newcomer for Smash Switch, Sakurai just couldn't keep them out, so he either figured out the paint mechanic, or gave up and gave them a more generic moveset (I imagine the former given how the Inklings are fighting each other in the trailer).

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai considered the Inklings since as early as the original E3 reveal of the first Splatoon, but he probably wanted to implement a moveset that actually made use of the "Paint the stage and use it to fight" mechanic. He probably couldn't work it out, thus "Un-realizable".

With Inkling being the most obvious newcomer for Smash Switch, Sakurai just couldn't keep them out, so he either figured out the paint mechanic, or gave up and gave them a more generic moveset (I imagine the former given how the Inklings are fighting each other in the trailer).
I don't think painting the stage is gonna work. Too many things about the Inklings seem like they'd be more OP than Meta Knight if not done right.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice

The ink mechanic probably would have been too hard on the 3ds and it would have been difficult to make 8 distinct colors for 8-player smash.

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet
Sakurai probably knew he was going to Start Smash 5 right after finishing Smash 4 so held on to the Inklings to make a bigger impression for the Smash 5 reveal.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the popcorn splatfest of salty vs sweet is off to a start

though theres something odd about seeing players referred to as "salty fiend" or "sweet fiend"

then again i suppose any splafest is bound to make some odd titles we had "chicken fiend" last time

Last edited:

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Which songs do people want to make it in? Splattack and Calimari Inkantation are in for sure, but I hope some ABXY songs get in too.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Which songs do people want to make it in? Splattack and Calimari Inkantation are in for sure, but I hope some ABXY songs get in too.
Well, the songs I'm hoping for are:

Splattack (Although it's kinda obvious that it'll be in.)
Shellfie
Hooked
Calimari Inkantation
Ink Me Up
Bomb Rush Blush
Inkoming
Ebb & Flow
Now or Never! (Plays at the final minute of a timed match.)

There may be another one that I'm forgetting, I'd love it if any of these got featured or even remixed.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Octoling Rendezvous is another necessary track.
I wonder which tune will be remixed. I can see Calamari Inkantation getting remixed, along with the Squid Sisters/Off the Hook's Splatfest songs. I'd actually really like to see all three of these songs mixed together.

Reila

I hope their kit is super obnoxious like Mega Man's. Zoning for days.

AvionFinch

Smash Cadet
I'm sure the Inklings will be stage control monsters, hopefully not too oppressive. As far as music goes, as long as Calamari Inkantation and Ebb & Flow aren't absent I'll be pretty happy.

Man, I just wanna see them in action, the first game play footage can't come soon enough.

Reila

I'm sure the Inklings will be stage control monsters, hopefully not too oppressive. As far as music goes, as long as Calamari Inkantation and Ebb & Flow aren't absent I'll be pretty happy.

Man, I just wanna see them in action, the first game play footage can't come soon enough.
Back in the Smash 3DS/Wii U days, we used to get chunks of news every two months or so in Directs. I wonder if we might get one later this month, because I somehow doubt they will not show anything at all (for Smash and other games) until the E3 in June.

As I said, I am really hoping their kit is along the lines of Mega Man, Duck Hunt, Olimar, Villager, Toon Link, which is not unlikely considering they are coming from a shooter.

As for music, Color Pulse and Sucker Punch, please.

Hubba_Wubba

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingNightmare26
3DS FC
5430-0613-8772
I hope the Inklings Costumes will be similar to Villager, each costume has different hairstyles, gear, and pants.

Reila

You know, I hope they have some projectile they can grab and Z-drop a la Mega Man's Metal Blade and Pac-Man's fruits. Perhaps a Splat Bomb. :011:

Z dropping stuff is super fun.

Top Bottom