• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Isn't calling this section "Splatoon Inklings" a little redundant? Are we trying to avoid confusion with the Inklings from all those other series?

It's not like we call it the Legend of Zelda Link subforum.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Man, you know we're hurtin' for info when the main discussion thread for the Inklings, one of the most wanted newcomers in Smash 4, is dead as a doornail.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i wonder if whatever stage we get will be able to access the same graffiti network as splatoon 2, so graffiti made for that could appear in smash

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Man, you know we're hurtin' for info when the main discussion thread for the Inklings, one of the most wanted newcomers in Smash 4, is dead as a doornail.
I mean, it's really hard to speculate because pretty much none of the Inklings toolkit translasstes that well to a 2d fighting game.

Take the inking mechanic as an example. Let's say that you're in the air above an inked platform and squid form is activated by ducking. If you press down while in the air, you would just fastfall through the platform. You actually need to wait until you've landed and then slowly press down to crouch. Not impossible, but it's really slow and clunky. Could be fixed by having squid form be a special move, but you're sacrificing a special slot for it.

Speaking of specials, none of the other obvious specials (splat bomb and splattershot) make sense either. Is the splattershot just going to be a constant stream of ink? Is it going to have a hitbox? It has to run out eventually or else it would be impossible to approach from the ground. And what if you fire it off the edge? The bullets are affected by gravity, so they would arc all they way down to the blast zone. That means that anyone trying to grab the edge from the other side of the stream would be forced to airdodge through it, which would be impossible for big or slow characters.

Splat bombs only explode when they're on the ground in Splatoon. If this is true in smash, Inklings only have one usable aerial special (assuming superjump, squid form are the other ones). It also takes the counter a full second to reach zero. Combine this with the air time when thrown and we're talking a throwable falcon punch in terms of start lag. Landing it would be pretty hype though....

Some other things that might have trouble working:
Charges, curling bombs and seekers would immediately ink the whole stage
Disrupters, toxic mist provide too much ground control
Echo locators wouldn't really do anything
Burst bombs would be splatbombs that get stuck on platforms
Suction bombs would be splatbombs that get stuck on platforms and have a 2.5 second timer

I'm not saying these can't be part of the moveset, but it's just really hard to imagine how they'll work in smash.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
INKLING

Mechanic: Ink
• Covering the stage in ink allows the Inkling to trade average speed for a quick swim as a cephalopod.
• Ink gradually disappears. Ink can cover ledges, but has a faster vanishing rate.
• Ink recharges automatically on a timer and recovers faster if a squid is in a pool of ink.
• Ink does not slow down opponents, but can cover them. An ink drenched foe will leave drippings while moving about the stage, helping you in your task of sloppifying the stage.

B Splattershot: Shoots ink that has a slight downward arc at the end.
- Can be aimed. Can be held, allowing the Inkling to move slowly back and forth.
- Little damage, less range than Fox's lasers. Uses Ink.

Down B Splat Bomb: Pulls out a Splat Bomb as an item.
- Can be thrown. Detonates after a few seconds. Uses ink.
- Coats the floor around its explosion in ink. In the air, the paint explosion is circular and coats any surface it touches.
- If it explodes in ink, a half-sphere bubble emerges form the ink and pops with added knockback.

Side B Squid form: Turns into a squid with a short forward hop in the intended direction.
In Ink: Squid form is half-submerged. Moves faster than the Inkling and pivots well.
- Cannot dodge, but has one low jump.
- B morphs back into an Inkling.
- A press of A spins the squid as it dashes forward for a multi-hit attack.
- Can perform Smash attacks. This will transform the squid into an Inkling which goes through its Smash animation.

In the Air: Does a little forward hop and plummets to the ground. Splashes into ink if there is any. Does damage on the way down and slight pushback with its splash landing.

On the Ground: Squid flops when moved left or right, cannot attack or jump with the jump button, and is very slow. A press of 'A' when the squid lands on the floor from a flop will have it flop higher.

Up B Super Jump: Similar to King DeDeDe's high arching jump Up B special.
A circular marker indicates where the Inkling will land.

- A press of B while jumping will have the Inkling fire ink downwards. Uses ink.
- Landing in ink will cause a ripple wave with the Inkling at the epicenter. This gets rid of the ink, but causes massive horizantol knockback

Forward Smash Ink Roller: Hoists a roller above its head and swings downward to whack the floor and then push the roller a distance forward. If you have ink, the roller will be coated and will spread ink on the floor and cover the opponent. Does more damage when inked. Solid Smash.

Down Smash Splash Wall: Inkling leaps up and slams a splash wall pole into the ground. The thrust causes a small shockwave for damage and pushback. The Splash Wall is basically a doorway frame that pours ink from the top onto the floor beneath
(If you have ink). Enemies going through will be coated in ink. The wall lasts for a short duration and two can be set up at a time for stage control.

Up Smash Burst Bomb: Lobs an ink filled balloon in a high arc. Uses ink, nice vertical knock-back and explodes on impact.

A: Swipes with its gun
Toward A: Slides forward while two-handing the gun utilizing it as a ram
Down A: Performs two quick sweep kicks in succession
Up A: Flip kick

Dash A: Baseball slide the male inkling performs in Smash trailer

Neutral Aerial: Runs in the air. Gives a slight boost forward when the Inkling hits the ground if timed right.
Forward Aerial: Swipe with the paint brush attached to the gun nozzle. Uses ink if you have it, which increases range and damage
Back Aerial: Two straight back kicks in succession
Down Aerial: Swings gun downwards similar to Samus's down aerial.
Up Aerial: Flip kick with brush

Grabs: Lunges forward, hopping one on foot if missed
A: Hits with butt of the gun
Forward: Leaps on enemy and uses them as a sled before stepping off
Back: Falls on back and catapults them backwards with feet
Up: Lobs them up in an arch similar to how they lob their Up Smash Burst Bomb
Down: Uses alot of ink. Dunks a giant bucket over their head. Coats enemy in ink. Half their body is covered by an upside down bucket. They cannot attack until the bucket pops off from movement.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So now that the Inklings are in who are y'all supporting?

Luminario

Smash Lord
INKLING

Mechanic: Ink
• Covering the stage in ink allows the Inkling to trade average speed for a quick swim as a cephalopod.
• Ink gradually disappears. Ink can cover ledges, but has a faster vanishing rate.
• Ink recharges automatically on a timer and recovers faster if a squid is in a pool of ink.
• Ink does not slow down opponents, but can cover them. An ink drenched foe will leave drippings while moving about the stage, helping you in your task of sloppifying the stage.

B Splattershot: Shoots ink that has a slight downward arc at the end.
- Can be aimed. Can be held, allowing the Inkling to move slowly back and forth.
- Little damage, less range than Fox's lasers. Uses Ink.

Down B Splat Bomb: Pulls out a Splat Bomb as an item.
- Can be thrown. Detonates after a few seconds. Uses ink.
- Coats the floor around its explosion in ink. In the air, the paint explosion is circular and coats any surface it touches.
- If it explodes in ink, a half-sphere bubble emerges form the ink and pops with added knockback.

Side B Squid form: Turns into a squid with a short forward hop in the intended direction.
In Ink: Squid form is half-submerged. Moves faster than the Inkling and pivots well.
- Cannot dodge, but has one low jump.
- B morphs back into an Inkling.
- A press of A spins the squid as it dashes forward for a multi-hit attack.
- Can perform Smash attacks. This will transform the squid into an Inkling which goes through its Smash animation.

In the Air: Does a little forward hop and plummets to the ground. Splashes into ink if there is any. Does damage on the way down and slight pushback with its splash landing.

On the Ground: Squid flops when moved left or right, cannot attack or jump with the jump button, and is very slow. A press of 'A' when the squid lands on the floor from a flop will have it flop higher.

Up B Super Jump: Similar to King DeDeDe's high arching jump Up B special.
A circular marker indicates where the Inkling will land.

- A press of B while jumping will have the Inkling fire ink downwards. Uses ink.
- Landing in ink will cause a ripple wave with the Inkling at the epicenter. This gets rid of the ink, but causes massive horizantol knockback

Forward Smash Ink Roller: Hoists a roller above its head and swings downward to whack the floor and then push the roller a distance forward. If you have ink, the roller will be coated and will spread ink on the floor and cover the opponent. Does more damage when inked. Solid Smash.

Down Smash Splash Wall: Inkling leaps up and slams a splash wall pole into the ground. The thrust causes a small shockwave for damage and pushback. The Splash Wall is basically a doorway frame that pours ink from the top onto the floor beneath
(If you have ink). Enemies going through will be coated in ink. The wall lasts for a short duration and two can be set up at a time for stage control.

Up Smash Burst Bomb: Lobs an ink filled balloon in a high arc. Uses ink, nice vertical knock-back and explodes on impact.

A: Swipes with its gun
Toward A: Slides forward while two-handing the gun utilizing it as a ram
Down A: Performs two quick sweep kicks in succession
Up A: Flip kick

Dash A: Baseball slide the male inkling performs in Smash trailer

Neutral Aerial: Runs in the air. Gives a slight boost forward when the Inkling hits the ground if timed right.
Forward Aerial: Swipe with the paint brush attached to the gun nozzle. Uses ink if you have it, which increases range and damage
Back Aerial: Two straight back kicks in succession
Down Aerial: Swings gun downwards similar to Samus's down aerial.
Up Aerial: Flip kick with brush

Grabs: Lunges forward, hopping one on foot if missed
A: Hits with butt of the gun
Forward: Leaps on enemy and uses them as a sled before stepping off
Back: Falls on back and catapults them backwards with feet
Up: Lobs them up in an arch similar to how they lob their Up Smash Burst Bomb
Down: Uses alot of ink. Dunks a giant bucket over their head. Coats enemy in ink. Half their body is covered by an upside down bucket. They cannot attack until the bucket pops off from movement.
Wouldn't it make more sense for side and down B to be switched? seeing as how you throw splat bombs forwards but submerge downwards in ink?
It's a solid moveset, but I feel it needs much more of the various weapons. Inventive use of the Splash Wall too.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Wouldn't it make more sense for side and down B to be switched? seeing as how you throw splat bombs forwards but submerge downwards in ink?
It's a solid moveset, but I feel it needs much more of the various weapons. Inventive use of the Splash Wall too.
I was going back and forth on that. Initially, I was on the same page as you with the special designations.

I was just thinking that side B would allow better aiming for your squid to go into ink. But barring that one feature the other way makes more sense.

Thanks. I tried to give the Inklings some attacks that do not use ink and some that can work without ink, but less effectively.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Going to main the **** out of these guys. So hyped.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello Solatoon fans glad Inklings are in, once again had to say it looking forward to more info for them.

PF9

Smash Lord
I just found out the Inklings are 14 years old.

That would put them under the "child Smashers" category. They would be perfect friends for the likes of Ness, Lucas, Toon Link and Villager. Now we just need Pichu to return and the SSB Youth Crew will be complete.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hey hey, big Splatoon update tomorrow.

Just gets me more pumped for Smash 5 and our only confirmed character. ;)

LunarOctopus

Smash Rookie
When I read it I looked at it as the ink bomb being like Link's down special, where he pulls out a bomb as an item, making the side special make more sense for better control of which direction you want to hop in.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I have to wonder how the ink/stage mechanic will work.

Hombres? Ideas?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The biggest thing that surprised me about the Smash switch reveal was that the Inklings were based off Splatoon 1, seeing as I personally believed they would use Splatoon 2 designs.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
The biggest thing that surprised me about the Smash switch reveal was that the Inklings were based off Splatoon 1, seeing as I personally believed they would use Splatoon 2 designs.
We don't know how long Smash 5 has been in development. It's possible the trailer was made before Splatoon 2 even came out.

D

Deleted member

Can't wait to see Inklings in action in Smash more footage hopefully soon.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Maybe the colors would be locked, but each of the alts. has a unique ink color.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Which gender will be the default?
My money is on female. The Splatoon devs seem to prefer to promote the female Inkling (for example, the orange female Inkling was the only one to get a trophy in Smash 4), and the female Inkling took the prominent role in both Splatoon's original announcement trailer, and the Smash Switch announcement trailer.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I'd bet the alt costumes for the Inklings will most likely consider the orange female & blue male from the 1st game as the 'defaults'. Females & males receive at least 4 alts with different gear, ink color, & skin tone (and potentially hairdos). Optional, save an additional 8 for the female & male Octolings (in case they go far with Octo or push that 'Year of the Octoling' joke from the last Direct.)

Last edited:

LunarOctopus

Smash Rookie
My money is on female. The Splatoon devs seem to prefer to promote the female Inkling (for example, the orange female Inkling was the only one to get a trophy in Smash 4), and the female Inkling took the prominent role in both Splatoon's original announcement trailer, and the Smash Switch announcement trailer.
I think they'll just do what they did with Robin and make both genders usable.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think they'll just do what they did with Robin and make both genders usable.
They almost definitely will, but the question was which one of them would be the default, like how Wii Fit Trainer defaults to female while Robin, Corrin, and Villager default to male.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
They almost definitely will, but the question was which one of them would be the default, like how Wii Fit Trainer defaults to female while Robin, Corrin, and Villager default to male.
Probably female, the girl Inkling is usually used the most in marketing and had more space on both box arts.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Every Smash game has had a clone in it. Do you guys think Octolings will be brought in as an Inkling clone? I think there's enough customization and weapon options that they could stand as their own character.

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one here that has no idea of what the inklings series even is? Lol.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Am I the only one here that has no idea of what the inklings series even is? Lol.
Well there have been only two games in the series.

It’s called splatoon. First one was on Wii U, second one is on switch. It’s nintendo’s Attempt at a team shooter.

It’s really good. I’d say reminiscent of the war for cybertron transformers games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well there have been only two games in the series.

It’s calles splatoon. First one was on Wii U, second one is on switch. It’s nintendo’s Attempt at a team shooter.

It’s really good. I’d say reminiscent of the war for cybertron transformers games.
OH Ok. I see. I might check it out!

\\ArT oF wAr//

Smash Rookie
NNID
GibleLikesToBite
I think Inklings are going to a heavy zoner, I don’t play the games but her attacks on the trailer seem diddyish and mega mannish in the same time. If anything it be stylesx2, ZeRo or Japanese Vines playstyle.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
A sad thought:

If the Octo expansion included an expanded upon squid jump to seem like a more full game (just throw on some bosses, some new stage mechanics, and a world map)... I’d probably be willing to get it just for that.

I miss playing that while loading.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Every Smash game has had a clone in it. Do you guys think Octolings will be brought in as an Inkling clone? I think there's enough customization and weapon options that they could stand as their own character.
I kinda dislike how playable Octolings look in Splatoon 2, so I am not really interested. I wouldn't be against it, though.
I think Inklings are going to a heavy zoner, I don’t play the games but her attacks on the trailer seem diddyish and mega mannish in the same time..
I would expect that to be the case. Mega Man is so fun. If Inklings are anything like him, I will be pleased.

Last edited:
Top Bottom