• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Splatoon Direct Talks Weapons, Gear, Ranked Battles, And A Demo!

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
For all the Smashers who weren't able to watch the Splatoon Direct this morning, it has just been uploaded to the Nintendo YouTube channel! This Direct covered tons of info on the upcoming title, including new weapons, gear, online modes, and free periodic updates after the game's release! There was some info in there as well for Smashers: those who pre-order at Gamestop will also receive free Inkling DLC costumes for Smash 4! There's also a unique demo available on the eShop now, so pick it up and give it a spin. Don't get too excited though - it will only work at certain times. See the Direct for more details.

It sounds like Splatoon is going to be a great competitive game for Nintendo fans. Watch the Direct below, and get it excited for some Turf Wars!

Splatoon Direct
Splatoon releases in North America on May 29th.

Will you be buying the game? Has this Nintendo Direct swayed your opinion? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit will be pre-ordering this game today. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the game looks amazing, and im defiantly getting those splatoon mii fighter outfits

WwwWario

Smash Ace
That direct brought SO much more than expected. Lots free new updates, awesome weapons, free DEMO, Smash DLC costumes.... I'm in love.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Smash DLC costumes GAMESTOP exclusive here in AMERICA. . i hope you can buy thoses ...i hate exclusive thing.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Smash Mii DLC costume =/= The actual character. While I appreciate the sentiment, I'd much rather just have the Inkling in Smash. Nintendo plz.

Last edited:
Smash DLC costumes GAMESTOP exclusive here in AMERICA. . i hope you can buy thoses ...i hate exclusive thing.
I'm sure all GameStop stores internationally count. Whenever Nintendo says GameStop, the same offer arrives at EB Games here in Canada.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Smash Mii DLC costume =/= The actual character. While I appreciate the sentiment, I'd much rather just have the Inkling in Smash. Nintendo plz.
Well, there are Link outfits (even with the Master Sword) so I wouldn't worry that much yet, I'm sure Inkling will join the battle later (:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I actually really like Inkling as a Mii costume. I think that role suits her a lot better.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I found that Direct very disappointing overall.

Majority of it was just going into slightly more detail about stuff we already knew, effectively making most of the Direct one big tutorial.

I'm not a fan of locking so much content behind Amiibos either. That absolutely is not what Amiibos should be used for and the content you get doesn't justify the price, especially when they will be adding gear for free via updates. And unlocking mini-games via Amiibos is even worse. Those should be unlockables you can access without Amiibos. Instead, it's not even "buy the Amiibo, get the stuff", it's "buy the Amiibo to unlock the ability to unlock the stuff". What's more, the missions you do would be GREAT as training exercises to help you get to grips with the game and it's various weapons (they said that each Amiibo gives you missions based around specific weapon classes, so they're basically tutorials). It's like if TF2 required you to buy an NFC figure to unlock the Training missions for each class.

And while it's great that the game is being supported with free updates, some of the stuff should really be available at launch. Like, the modes and all that are fine, what they have at launch is enough. But I mean, there should be one or two more extra stages at launch, and the fact that you can't properly team up with your friends at launch is completely stupid.

The demo and the accompanying discount were by far the best announcements. Gonna try it out now.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well, there are Link outfits (even with the Master Sword) so I wouldn't worry that much yet, I'm sure Inkling will join the battle later (:
Well the difference there is that Link was already a playable fighter. Things like this make me believe Sakurai has no intention on making them, despite how popular they may be. Ink mechanic may be a bit much for the remaining small team he has.

I actually really like Inkling as a Mii costume. I think that role suits her a lot better.
I have to disagree. Mii Gunner honestly does no justice to the character whatsoever. I thought it was great for X and Proto Man. Just not the Inklings.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
im so pumped for this. can't wait until people figure out all the best items and combos for the most OP results

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'm sure all GameStop stores internationally count. Whenever Nintendo says GameStop, the same offer arrives at EB Games here in Canada.
Gamestop used to be EB games in the United States. And before that they were Electronics Boutique. And at some point before becoming gamestop I think they bought out and took over Software Etc.

xWolfiex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xWolfie55x
3DS FC
2982-1721-1850
Heh, that what I said. I mean, it could be a tease.

Trigspro789

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trigspro789
3DS FC
3566-2013-0217
There wasn't a release date announced, but no Fs were given.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh god damn it you can't even play the demo. The first available time to play it in the UK is 4-5AM on Saturday.

D

Deleted member

I generally agree with you.

Especially on the Amiibo part. Nintendo is starting to get pretty bad with that. I don't want them to end up like Capcom, but it seems it'll be the case at this point.

SilentSpartan

Smash Cadet
NNID
QuietGreninja
3DS FC
4570-9370-4123
The thing about the amiibos is that no matter what, Nintendo can't win. People complain how they don't feel like they're getting enough bang for their buck with their amiibos. Then, another problem arises when people, and the same people most of the time, complain about content being locked behind a paywall.

I can see both sides, but I'd just wish people would make a decision. It gets old not knowing what to thing about the matter.

NintenPunk92

Smash Rookie
I was hyped for this direct and they pretty much just gave away all information of the full game (well not really) but anyways SPLATOON IS AWESOME and i love how there's sub items that work like the bombchu's in zelda but one thing that disapointed me was that inkling was not a dlc fighter for smash but the gunner costume is. i have a inkling stamp on my sign thing. looks like im gonna have to get rid of it.
:pow::mario::link::luigi::?:

StabbityJoe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StabbityJoe

Majority of it was just going into slightly more detail about stuff we already knew, effectively making most of the Direct one big tutorial.

I'm not a fan of locking so much content behind Amiibos either. That absolutely is not what Amiibos should be used for and the content you get doesn't justify the price, especially when they will be adding gear for free via updates. And unlocking mini-games via Amiibos is even worse. Those should be unlockables you can access without Amiibos. Instead, it's not even "buy the Amiibo, get the stuff", it's "buy the Amiibo to unlock the ability to unlock the stuff". What's more, the missions you do would be GREAT as training exercises to help you get to grips with the game and it's various weapons (they said that each Amiibo gives you missions based around specific weapon classes, so they're basically tutorials). It's like if TF2 required you to buy an NFC figure to unlock the Training missions for each class.

And while it's great that the game is being supported with free updates, some of the stuff should really be available at launch. Like, the modes and all that are fine, what they have at launch is enough. But I mean, there should be one or two more extra stages at launch, and the fact that you can't properly team up with your friends at launch is completely stupid.

The demo and the accompanying discount were by far the best announcements. Gonna try it out now.
So you complain about how you can't access something than complain that the thing that's unaccessible sucks? Wut.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So you complain about how you can't access something than complain that the thing that's unaccessible sucks? Wut.
Uuuh, at what point did I say that? I think the content the Amiibos unlock is fine, I just don't think they justify a €15 pay wall per "pack".

Just because I like something, doesn't mean I want to be ripped off for it.

The thing about the amiibos is that no matter what, Nintendo can't win. People complain how they don't feel like they're getting enough bang for their buck with their amiibos. Then, another problem arises when people, and the same people most of the time, complain about content being locked behind a paywall.

I can see both sides, but I'd just wish people would make a decision. It gets old not knowing what to thing about the matter.
People were mostly happy with what they have been doing so far - games like Smash offering ways to interact with "the character inside the figure" being the main draw, and games like MK8 that aren't really designed with Amiibos in mind but throw in little cosmetic bonuses that personalise the experience based on the Amiibos you bought.

If they keep doing stuff like that, nobody will complain. Liking substantial content that actually effects the game though, isn't a good idea.

SilentSpartan

Smash Cadet
NNID
QuietGreninja
3DS FC
4570-9370-4123
Uuuh, at what point did I say that? I think the content the Amiibos unlock is fine, I just don't think they justify a €15 pay wall per "pack".

Just because I like something, doesn't mean I want to be ripped off for it.

People were mostly happy with what they have been doing so far - games like Smash offering ways to interact with "the character inside the figure" being the main draw, and games like MK8 that aren't really designed with Amiibos in mind but throw in little cosmetic bonuses that personalise the experience based on the Amiibos you bought.

If they keep doing stuff like that, nobody will complain. Liking substantial content that actually effects the game though, isn't a good idea.
Really? From what I'm hearing and seeing on places like Youtube, though I personally like the amiibo features in Smash, general consensus is usually slightly negative at the least. People either think it wasn't enough content for them to care about it, or they think that it being there at all is too much worry for the future of their games.

Well, that, plus the drama queens talking about how Nintendo's going to die within the next few years. Like they have been for over a decade. :p

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Really? From what I'm hearing and seeing on places like Youtube, though I personally like the amiibo features in Smash, general consensus is usually slightly negative at the least. People either think it wasn't enough content for them to care about it, or they think that it being there at all is too much worry for the future of their games.

Well, that, plus the drama queens talking about how Nintendo's going to die within the next few years. Like they have been for over a decade. :p
Yeah a few people will always be complaining, but most feel like the overall premise of Amiibos so far has been satisfactory and that they feel like enough value for the money, without locking important game content behind a pay wall. Amiibos seemed a little lacking when it was just Smash, MK8, and Hyrule Warriors, but now we have games like MP10, Codename STEAM, Yoshi's Wooly World, and more, adding either small cosmetic things, or allowing you to bring your Amiibo characters into the game worlds to play with them. Stuff like that is cool and makes the figures feel relevant to the process of playing, especially in Smash and Mario Party 10.

Splatoon just locks random, generic content, including tutorial missions, behind a pay wall, and it hardly even relates to the characters in question. What's more, you'll only ever scan them in once, until they get a use in another game.

SilentSpartan

Smash Cadet
NNID
QuietGreninja
3DS FC
4570-9370-4123
I get what you're saying. Kinda like my worries with the pre-order bonuses when Hyrule Warriors came out. At least recent Nintendo pre-order bonuses have been purely cosmetic, as far as I'm aware. Hopefully, Nintendo doesn't change that.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
What disappointed me the most about this Direct was the lack of information about communication with the other players.

Fine, we don't have voice chat. We must have SOMETHING, right? Because if we don't, that's idiotic. Even pre-recorded messages/gestures (like in MK/MH) would suffice.

Other than that, the game looks fine and addicting. I'm glad there's a free demo, too!

Taytertot

Smash Ace
interesting. this game looks pretty fun as long as it doesnt rely on pay to win strats. Reminds me of tf2 in some ways. id like to see some more movement options though like some kinda high jump that cost ink or something.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What disappointed me the most about this Direct was the lack of information about communication with the other players.

Fine, we don't have voice chat. We must have SOMETHING, right? Because if we don't, that's idiotic. Even pre-recorded messages/gestures (like in MK/MH) would suffice.

Other than that, the game looks fine and addicting. I'm glad there's a free demo, too!
They have those weapons that let you tell your team where the enemy is, but that's about it for communication.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
They have those weapons that let you tell your team where the enemy is, but that's about it for communication.
This is probably the point. These items would be useless if you could micspam. As would the lower screen map that shows enemy ink paths as they are being made. There's not much need to voice chat about "hey look out around the left half-pipe" because you can see enemy ink there at any time on your own and know there's someone there.

But if the biggest complaint people can have about the game is something so minor in the first place, that's probably a good sign.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This is probably the point. These items would be useless if you could micspam. As would the lower screen map that shows enemy ink paths as they are being made. There's not much need to voice chat about "hey look out around the left half-pipe because you can see enemy ink there at any time on your own and know there's someone there.

But if the biggest complaint people can have about the game is something so minor in the first place, that's probably a good sign.
That doesn't excuse not having a voice chat option. They clearly made these weapons as a compromise AFTER they decided "no voice chat". It absolutely should have been an option at least for friends. It wouldn't have made the map useless either, you still need that for Super Jumping, checking how much territory there is, organising flanks, etc. All shooting games have a map of sorts and still have voice chat. Literally the only reason it doesn't exist is because "SOME PEOPLE ARE MEANIES ONLINE".

Also it's far from the biggest complaint people have. This game is devoid of content at launch, a lot of it being locked behind €15 figures (with more of those figures to come). That's awful practice. Also, 5 maps at launch is pathetic for a AAA shooter. Not to mention that you can't form your own parties. And many other cases of missing content and features.

Top Bottom