• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Splatoon Competitive Play?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I think it could be possible. Not saying it's very likely though. It seems more like a fun party game than anything. Well, I guess people said that about Smash Bros too. At the very least I look forward to playing it.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
It looks like it has the potential to be this. I want it to be a thing. My group name bout to be
Hard Body Swag Force
We gahleik
@ RhyRhychan RhyRhychan
I know you wanna be a part of my squad

Last edited:

Nimyu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-6319-0143
Yeah but isn't there stat modification and gun modifications for a class? Lol. Well and launching yourself to your territory or teammates or whatever it was again.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
It depends on the mechanics of the game. Sadly, I am not expecting this game to give people the tools for a more competitive environment (good network, private matches) to ever make this possible. And if the mechanics make the game just unbalanced, yeah, it isn't going to be a thing.

Nimyu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-6319-0143
It depends on the mechanics of the game. Sadly, I am not expecting this game to give people the tools for a more competitive environment (good network, private matches) to ever make this possible. And if the mechanics make the game just unbalanced, yeah, it isn't going to be a thing.
Well I read on the wiki page that the creators did like other gun games, so there is still the chance for private games and even game mechanics. Still, it is a Nintendo product... Although they did make Smash 64 which was balanced... Maybe that means that Splatoon as a first product will also be balanced? Half life 3 confirmed! :p

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Well I read on the wiki page that the creators did like other gun games, so there is still the chance for private games and even game mechanics. Still, it is a Nintendo product... Although they did make Smash 64 which was balanced... Maybe that means that Splatoon as a first product will also be balanced? Half life 3 confirmed! :p
Yeah, I also forgot to mention a spectator mode is also highly recommended. But my fear is that they are going to make the game fun, and not properly balance things. At the end of the day, the game should be fun, because it is a game, but ignoring the balance ends up hurting the competitive scene.

Nimyu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-6319-0143
Yeah, I also forgot to mention a spectator mode is also highly recommended. But my fear is that they are going to make the game fun, and not properly balance things. At the end of the day, the game should be fun, because it is a game, but ignoring the balance ends up hurting the competitive scene.
True.

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
I hope we will see a competitive facet for this game. The game reminds me a lot of TF2 and other team-based shooters - just without classes. And games like Team Fortress 2 has a large competitive scene, so I'm sure we could see one for Splatoon.

My only concern is that there will be some sort of features that kills a possibility for competitiveness, like Kid Icarus Uprising's scene being ruined by the random stats applied to weapons. Right now, there isn't much evidence of such similarly occurring, but we're still a long way before the game is out to really know.

#Splatoon4Apex

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'm really excited about this game! I hope that I can take it very seriously.

Actually if you have time check out my little speed paint I did. Please share it; pass it around!

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Splatoon needs to come out so that I can pub stomp in a squad. =P

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Yes. A few friends and I are so hyped for this game and are hoping it lives up to the expectations everyone has been giving it. It looks like it has a lot of potential to be competitively-viable and I am very excited for its release.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Watching Gamexplain's videos on it today makes me really want to play this competively. So much customization with the clothing, the weapons are creative but are easy to relate to other gun games, and its from Nintendo trying to be competitive. I can't wait for 4v4 matches, I feel like those would be very fun to play but also be very entertaining to view in tournaments. Imagine the matches of one group vs another on Twitch. Very nice.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Sorry for bumping a thread that's a month and a half old, but you guys should see this preview that Nintendo gave ProJared:

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Hopefully Nintendo Direct sheds some more light on this game. But I do enjoy the fact that the game comes out in May. Hopefully it is early May.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
i think a comp scene depends on the skill ceiling of the game. like you dont see a lot of for example Mario Kart comp because even though its a popular game the difference in skill isnt as wide as lets say quake or startcraft brood war which have VERY high skill ceilings.

Top Bottom