• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spirits Ricochet: Oh gosh, it's finally over! And to think, I didn't even play! Pokechu wins again.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Colors weave into a spiral of flames
Distant sparks call to a past still unnamed
Bear this torch against the cold of the night
Search your soul and reawaken the undying light

Welcome, one and all, to Spirits Ricochet!

Of course, as you may have read, this is a new game of Ricochet. THIS is the game that I was referring to when I said I had been working on something huge. By now, many of you may know how Ricochet works, but there are several new gameplay additions that have been thrown in to enhance the playing experience.

The game is called Spirits Ricochet for a reason. To play, each participant must select 3 primary spirits to represent them in the game. Yes, you literally pick the spirit themselves (Zeke from Xenoblade, Bandana Dee from Kirby, etc.) Do not go fretting about the decision, because the spirit class (Novice to Legend), or enhanceability do not impact any gameplay. Each of these spirits will have 4 hitpoints each. You are out of the game when all of your spirits run out of health. Easy enough so far.

There are, once again, 5 standard actions. Most of you are familiar with these, but here they are again.

• Shoot [Player]: Deals one damage to a player of your choice.
  • Shoot Self: If you are dealt damage, reflects all damage back to your attackers. If you are not dealt damage, you suffer one damage.
  • Shoot Air: Deals no damage, but it makes the sky pretty upset. Your most neutral move in your arsenal. If attacked with a penetrating shot, you take no damage. This was previously the default action, but now it's a deliberate action of neutrality.
  • Defend [Player]: Negates one damage that would have been dealt to the targeted player. Excess damage past 1 is dealt to you. Does not protect yourself from being shot. You cannot defend yourself. You cannot defend two phases in a row.
  • Misfire: The default action if no action is submitted. Yes you can also request to misfire for some reason. If you misfire, you do "nothing" on the phase you use it. If you misfire twice in a row, you take one damage. This punishes players who forget that the game is happening, but can perhaps be used for strategic purposes as well.
  • However, the phase directly after you misfire, you deal trade-off damage. For example:
    • Normal shots deal 1.5 damage to your target. and deals 0.5 damage to you.
    • Failed self shots deal 1.5 damage to you, and deal 150% to attackers.
    • Air shots deal 0.5 damage to you.
    • Defending somebody deals 0.5 damage to you in addition to defending 1.5 hits.
    • Primary attacks are 150% more effective, when applicable. Still receive 0.5 damage of recoil.

Now, one may ask, how should I select my spirits? There are many, and I mean many, different factors that will come into play regarding your primary spirit selection. There are 16 (13) different Primary Actions that you can obtain from your spirit selection. There are 4 spirit types: Attack, Grab, Defend, and Neutral. There are also 4 different Slot Combinations: 0 slots, 1 slot, 2 slots, and 3 slots. Every combination of Type and Slots has a completely unique ability, which is influenced based off of the type. For example, Attack spirits of any slot amount will have Primary Abilities regarding attacking, Defend with negation/protection, Grab with control/movement, and Neutral with information/support. There is one exception. Regardless of type, each spirit with 2 slots will have the same ability, a Primary attack. Because each player can initially select 3 spirits, you may mix and match combinations of spirit's Primary Abilities and use them as you prefer.

There are eight spirits (half of combinations) that allow a spirit to use a Primary attack. While a standard attack will deal 1 damage regardless of a spirit's type, a Primary attack will deal 2 damage to spirits that they are strong against, and 0 to those that are not. Strength in this case refers to the type matchups most of you probably ignored. Attack spirits > Grab spirits, Grab > Defend, and Defend > Attack. If a Primary attack is used against a spirit of the same type, it will deal 2 damage to spirits with MORE slots, and 0 damage to spirits with LESS slots. Now, to equalize each spirit with a Primary attack, they will deal 2 damage to exactly 8 spirit combinations, and 0 damage to 7 spirit combinations.* After the previous rules have came into effect, spirits will deal 2 damage to neutral type spirits until there are 8 spirits reached at the higher damage level (2). As an example: The 2 slot attack spirit will deal 2 damage to the following spirit combinations: G3 (3 Slot Grab), G2, G1, G0, A3, N3, N2, and N1. 8 combinations are reached, so the limit for a 2A Primary attacker is a Neutral type with 1 slots. The only exception to this rule is the 2N spirit with a Primary attack. It deals damage to every spirit with more slots than it, to provide balance to spirits that may not ever receive damage. After all, spirits with less slots will always have more power than similar spirits with more slots. *Additionally, Primary attacks deal 1 damage to spirits that have the same combination as it.

Now, how is damage allotted? Each phase, players will select a spirit to equip. After all, spirits were implemented to be equipable. You may mot equip the same Primary in subsequent phases. All damage that is targeted at a player is dealt to the player's equipped spirit. To use a spirit's Primary ability, it must be equipped. There is never an instance where an unequipped spirit can use an ability. Whenever an ability is used, a player name is listed. However, during the phase results, the spirits involved are listed instead. Successfully attacking a player can make a spirit known to the players in the game, who can then deduce the Type/Slot combination.

Now, while less slots can mean more power when it pertains to Primary attacks, there is still a use for choosing spirits with more slots. For each Primary Spirit you select, you may also select however many Support Spirits to accompany the slot count. In this game, Support Spirits serve as one-time-use "items" (not to be confused with Support items) that can give helpful bonuses, such as extra damage or greater resistance. When you request your Primary Spirit, you will also name the Support Spirits you wish to bring along as well. Each Support Spirit will be consumed the phase directly after it was used, and will be lost into the void if the Primary Spirit holding them dies. Yes, there is a different ability for each support spirit ability in the game...
For the record, this is with similar abilities grouped together. There's a couple.
  1. Battering Items
  2. Shooting Items
  3. Thrown Items
  4. Item Power Up (Battering, Shooting, Throwing base)
  5. Transformation
  6. Hazard Immunity
  7. Modified Attack Up
  8. Modified Resist Up
  9. Escape / Landing / Dropping / Weight / Swimmer / Floaty / Jumps / Speed / Dodging
  10. Stats after Eating
  11. Critical Health
  12. KOs Heal Damage
  13. Autoheal / Lifesteal
  14. Assist / Giant / Metal Killer
  15. First Strike Advantage
  16. Super Armor (Slow)
  17. Hyper / Unflinching Smash
  18. Directional Special Attack Up
  19. Double Final Smash (Chance of)
  20. Ore Club
  21. Jam FS Charge
  22. Fast FS Meter
  23. Curry Mouth
  24. Franklin Badge
  25. Item Gravitate
  26. Stamina Up
  27. Trade-Off Atk
  28. Trade-Off Def
  29. Trade-Off Spd
  30. Undamaged Atk
  31. Undamaged Spd
  32. Both Previous
  33. Eating Immune
  34. Critical Immune
  35. Poison Heals
  36. Armor Knight
  37. Critical Healing
  38. Healing Shield
  39. Shield Reflect
  40. Easier Perfect Shield
  41. Running Start
  42. Air Defense
  43. Air Attack
  44. 2 more that I'm working on but am unsure if will be implemented.

As time progresses, I will reveal more and more Support ability and Primary ability information so that players can make the most informed decisions.

Now, for a twist. Once a phase, there will be a new Primary Spirit on the market that starts with a base 1/4 HP, with a random assortment of Support Spirits. Only one player will receive this spirit. To be qualified for the running, you will be voted for in the thread. All players with at least 2 votes will be qualified for the spirit. From here, each player who has been nominated will select one of the spirits to represent them. Each represented spirit will perform one Primary attack regardless of whether they are able to or not (for not every Primary Spirit has a Primary attack). The last player prevailing receives the spirit! Yes, these single attacks do deal 2 damage still if they make contact, so you can even nominate enemies to see them take extra damage, but they may get out with the reward instead. If you are successfully nominated, you may drop out of the running at the cost of 1 damage to a spirit of your choice.

Host strategies: Just because a spirit doesn't have a Primary attack, doesn't make it un-useful. The Primary Abilities have been balanced among the amount of slots so that each type of Primary Spirit is just as good as other types with the same number of slots. Because Support Spirits can be an advantage for Spirits with high slot counts (2-3), Spirits with low amounts of slots (0-1) have abilities that are slightly more powerful than the spirits with high slots. Spirits with 2 slots all the same ability, possessing one Primary attack, which makes it a good all-around pick. Because of this, and the fact that their ability is confirmed from the start, they have the weakest ability (i.e. they can use a Primary attack, and nothing else.) Spirits with 3 slots receive a slight buff to their ability because they tend to lose in every Primary attack matchup. In order from strongest abilities to weakest abilities by slot, it is 0-1-3-2.

Other standard Ricochet rules apply. You can make truce PMs with other players, but there is no trucing for victory, blah blah.

There is more info to come, so stay tuned! This is the major premise. Each phase lasts 24 hours, and the market competition starts on the eve of the subsequent phase. After some time, the market competitions will cease, and everybody will be left with only their guts, wits, and a little bit of luck.

Hope you have a lot of it [luck]!

Player Count:
1. Pokechu
2. ToasterBrains
3. Moydow
4. Shishœ
5. ShinyLegendary
6. BarDulL
7. GoldenYuiitusin
8. Red Ryu
9. Ryumo
10. Jojalole
11. Z25
12. Alice Phantasma
13. Smashing Ramen
14. ShotoStar

Replacements:
15. JDCabrera

Spectating:
Werekill
The Stoopid Unikorn
Just a Penguin
Ura​

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
what the absolute **** did i just read

/in
Oh buddy, you have no idea the sheer amount of content that it pained for me to disclude. If you have any questions though, let me know.

Also, I will be sending PMs for every player who is in to ask for spirit requests. There are no repeat spirits allowed, and spirits will be dealt out on a first come first serve basis.

Every spirit already has an assigned role with abilities. I don't want to spoil too much because then there wouldn't be a surprise. How much do the players want to know about the abilities so that informed decisions can be made about spirit selection?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
okay time to actually read the OP now because **** this looks even more complicated than my game at first glance, and that's quite the achievement

D

Deleted member

Ngl I have no idea what any of this means and I'm confused as hell. I please ask Ricochet hosts to simplify information(and the setup with it) or at least format it better(text is too big). I understand having big ambitioms but too much info can be overwhelming to some.

I'm /in regardless though

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
**** it, /in.

Edit: Sorry Utopian, but I rescind my /in. I'm /out. With the mafia game plus some irl stuff, I don't think I can juggle two complex games.

I'm totally down to pm and discuss the game as it goes though. I

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
**** it, /in.

Edit: Sorry Utopian, but I rescind my /in. I'm /out. With the mafia game plus some irl stuff, I don't think I can juggle two complex games.

I'm totally down to pm and discuss the game as it goes though. I
In that case... Do you want to be a part of the graveyard chat? It could be beneficial to discuss certain game mechanics, and maybe I could run some things by you for your opinion in the process. Shame you couldn't play though, but I kind of expected it after seeing your name in the mafia lineup.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Yeah Tom started sending out the invites, and I couldn't resist. His games are always a blast. Honestly though I'd still join in yours if life wasn't hectic atm.

But yeah that sounds solid! I'm down to join the graveyard chat/personal pms if you want to run things by me.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So can we PM players and truce and all that stuff here? I need to know if I can team up with Shish again to claim revenge on team Pokechu. :p

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
So can we PM players and truce and all that stuff here? I need to know if I can team up with Shish again to claim revenge on team Pokechu. :p
Yes, I'll add it to the OP. I had a couple questions come up that I need to address, and I shrunk the text size for more viewing ease. Let me know if there's anything that needs to be clarified.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
This is actually a lie meant to smokescreen my actual plan to team up with Pokechu to claim revenge on team Shish/Moy

...wait a second
why don't we just combine forces? with my team and yours, we're almost guaranteed to trample everyone else! And if we combine forces, then no matter who wins of us, we all win, right?

This seems smart to me! :^)

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
BarDulL BarDulL

We can join forces! But if you want to just spectate then I wouldn't blame you of course

D

Deleted member

Unsure. Seems a bit too complex with having to pick Spirits manually.
-Presses X button instead-

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
oh yeah The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn you haven't played Ricochet have you? I think you'd like it, it's not at all like mafia, it's just a "king of the thrones" type of deal where you want to live until the end, but I think just goofing off with everyone is (obviously LOL) something you like (zomg me too!!), I'd give this one a go!

the gameplay itself isn't complicated at all but this theme seems to be the most involved yet, it might be a bit wild for this to be your first game but I think you can handle it! It just seems scarier than it actually is :laugh:

obligatory praline praline tag too!! you can shoot me with NO penalty in Ricochet! What's NOT to love about that? Killing the Master Pickup Liner and Joker? Just be aware... if you kill me, the game will lose 100% of its charm! ;)

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Unsure. Seems a bit too complex with having to pick Spirits manually.
-Presses X button instead-
Well I mean, I don't want to force your hand, but all of the spirits generally play the same. It's not as if I have a new ability for every single one of the 1301 spirits, but they are classified by type and slots. Still, to each their own.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Well I mean, I don't want to force your hand, but all of the spirits generally play the same. It's not as if I have a new ability for every single one of the 1301 spirits, but they are classified by type and slots. Still, to each their own.
no, poyzin. this is NOT how you get players to sign up.

you in fact, SHOULD force their hand.

Golden. if you do not sign up. I'm going to ban you. :mad: this ban cannot be disputed in forum support. your only option is to sign up; otherwise leave the forums permanently.

D

Deleted member

-keeps pressing X until really good setup-
-in other words, randomize my set :V-

D

Deleted member

no, poyzin. this is NOT how you get players to sign up.

you in fact, SHOULD force their hand.

Golden. if you do not sign up. I'm going to ban you. :mad: this ban cannot be disputed in forum support. your only option is to sign up; otherwise leave the forums permanently.
K bye.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
oh yeah The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn you haven't played Ricochet have you? I think you'd like it, it's not at all like mafia, it's just a "king of the thrones" type of deal where you want to live until the end, but I think just goofing off with everyone is (obviously LOL) something you like (zomg me too!!), I'd give this one a go!

the gameplay itself isn't complicated at all but this theme seems to be the most involved yet, it might be a bit wild for this to be your first game but I think you can handle it! It just seems scarier than it actually is :laugh:
Will you and I talk at night?

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Will you and I talk at night?
Oh yeah! There are no "phases" in Ricochet! There's only like... Days, it doesn't go day then night then day then night, it's just... constant! Like, you have all phase to submit your action, talk to whoever, etc.... and then when the phase ends, all of the actions are done, and it just continues and goes on.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Oh yeah! There are no "phases" in Ricochet! There's only like... Days, it doesn't go day then night then day then night, it's just... constant! Like, you have all phase to submit your action, talk to whoever, etc.... and then when the phase ends, all of the actions are done, and it just continues and goes on.
When does it start?

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
When does it start?
I'm not sure! I wish I could abuse my mod powers for this, but that'd be unethical :( I say, as I just threatened Golden with a permaban LOL

UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin phase start and end times? and also the day the game starts? or are they in your first post here that I still haven't read? LOL

Top Bottom