• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spike to Victory! Volleyball Girl Joins The Battle

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
There were about a good chunk of songs found in Brawl's files that were scrapped songs planned for the game.

One of them was the Famicom Sports Medley and here's what it sounds like.

Imagine if we had gotten this in the final game.
I knew there were scrapped songs but first time I'm hearing this one, thanks man. I hope they bring back some scrapped ones from Brawl. No idea why they didn't for Smash 4.
Also Smash really needs a sports athlete character. Imagine the potential, I'm sure Sakurai can get creative with one.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And just like that, we are literally one supporter away from a full 20. This is a close milestone.

I knew there were scrapped songs but first time I'm hearing this one, thanks man. I hope they bring back some scrapped ones from Brawl. No idea why they didn't for Smash 4.
Also Smash really needs a sports athlete character. Imagine the potential, I'm sure Sakurai can get creative with one.
Same here. I was still shocked that Sakurai never did anything with those scrapped songs ever since. It's hame too since some of them are quite good, espeically this one.

And we DO need a good athlete in Smash that would be a good throwback to Nintendo's old days. It would be something that can easily top all the past surprise choices we've gotten.

Why the hell not. Sign me up!
Added. Glad to have more support as of late. And here I felt her hype died after all the Mario Maker hype died.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
And just like that, we are literally one supporter away from a full 20. This is a close milestone.

Same here. I was still shocked that Sakurai never did anything with those scrapped songs ever since. It's hame too since some of them are quite good, espeically this one.

And we DO need a good athlete in Smash that would be a good throwback to Nintendo's old days. It would be something that can easily top all the past surprise choices we've gotten.

Added. Glad to have more support as of late. And here I felt her hype died after all the Mario Maker hype died.
I'm more surprised some people even knew her.
Since Nintendo hasn't forgotten her, hope it means SOMETHING.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly, I've been thinking that it DOES mean something. Hopefully Smash...? Normally, I'd think Nintendo maybe just needed her to pad out Super Mario Maker's roster. but considering there's other characters Nintendo could have most likely added before her, it makes me a bit suspicious...

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
As someone who still loves playing with Wiifit Trainer I'll support Volleyball Girl. It would be interesting to see what Sakurai could do with a fighter that's a Volleyball player. Capcom made it work with Rival Schools so it would be no problem for Sakurai.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Same here.

The best case scenario would be a fighter, while the worst case scenario would be an AT or plain trophy.

But Super Mario Maker did a good job at making mer want her more.

As someone who still loves playing with Wiifit Trainer I'll support Volleyball Girl. It would be interesting to see what Sakurai could do with a fighter that's a Volleyball player. Capcom made it work with Rival Schools so it would be no problem for Sakurai.
Same.

I love be some movesets that take full advantage of a sport. So it would be cool to see what Sakurai can do with her. I've done my research of all major Volleyball techniques to make her moveset feel natural.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Show more love for Volleyball girl! Lol.
I just had a thought but maybe Volleyball girl is more likely than we think. She's just so unknown and out there that it might actually happen, knowing Sakurai. I mean not many expected Duck Hunt dog and look what happened
I mean the NES sports was popular so Sakurai might consider it.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Show more love for Volleyball girl! Lol.
I just had a thought but maybe Volleyball girl is more likely than we think. She's just so unknown and out there that it might actually happen, knowing Sakurai. I mean not many expected Duck Hunt dog and look what happened
I mean the NES sports was popular so Sakurai might consider it.
This is a good point. She is easily one of those characters that are so unexpected that it would just work.

But then she would have to compete with the NES Sports protagonists too. Soccer Player, Baseball Player, Ice Hockey Trio, Tennis Player, and the Pro Wrestlers.

She has the edge in that she was playable in Super Mario Maker of all of them. Even though so far, the other NES sports games are a part of the Online Switch services now. I would personally take her over the others because at least she feels more unique design wise and less generic.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
What?!?! So she's a Mario character now?
Super Mario Maker had Mystery Mushroom costumes based on characters from a ton of Nintendo series.

And sadly stuff like Baby Metal, Shaun the Sheep, Hello Kitty, and the Mercedes Benz too.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Super Mario Maker had Mystery Mushroom costumes based on characters from a ton of Nintendo series.

And sadly stuff like Baby Metal, Shaun the Sheep, Hello Kitty, and the Mercedes Benz too.
So I got more reasons to get Super Mario Maker. Not sure I want to get the one on the 3DS since I'm never getting a Wii-U. I'm gonna guess Volleyball Girl isn't the only obscure Nintendo character included in the mystery mushroom.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What?!?! So she's a Mario character now?
A series of Famicom and special themed costumes were released after the creation of Expert, and Super Expert Modes in Super Mario Maker.

This lead to more unlockable characters like Nabbit, Toon Zelda, Diskun, Baby Mario and yoshi, Ayumi Tachibana, Donbe, Hikari, Volleyball Girl, Mallo (Pushmo), Bubbles (Clu Clu Land), and Iris Archwell.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So I got more reasons to get Super Mario Maker. Not sure I want to get the one on the 3DS since I'm never getting a Wii-U. I'm gonna guess Volleyball Girl isn't the only obscure Nintendo character included in the mystery mushroom.
Also, the 3DS version of Mario Maker has NO level sharing or the Mystery Mushroom costumes at all.

It's far weaker than the Wii U original.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Also, the 3DS version of Mario Maker has NO level sharing or the Mystery Mushroom costumes at all.

It's far weaker than the Wii U original.
Yeah, I thought it would be missing something. Oh well, I'll wait and see if it comes to the Switch.

Oddball

Smash Lord
She's not exactly one of the top characters I would ask for, but I don't have any problems with her being in. I think it would be kinda neat.

I'll even add her to the Ranker.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
She has the edge in that she was playable in Super Mario Maker of all of them. Even though so far, the other NES sports games are a part of the Online Switch services now. I would personally take her over the others because at least she feels more unique design wise and less generic.
This is what makes me confident that she has the best chance out of the other atheletes.
That and she's Japanese, and this IS a Japanese video game series.
No way a Mercedes too?? I might actually try it out now...
NO WAY. I had this idea when I was like nine years old and now it's in the public eye! Neat!
However, I think a more generalized sports-themed character would fit better.
The general idea is that the Volleyball girl would borrow movesets from the other NES Sports series to represent the entire series rather than sticking to Volleyball.
The only obstacles for her would be if a Mario character that represented the Mario sports game would get in or if Wii Sports somehow gets a rep before her.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
She's not exactly one of the top characters I would ask for, but I don't have any problems with her being in. I think it would be kinda neat.

I'll even add her to the Ranker.
Thanks for the support and added.

The general idea is that the Volleyball girl would borrow movesets from the other NES Sports series to represent the entire series rather than sticking to Volleyball.
The only obstacles for her would be if a Mario character that represented the Mario sports game would get in or if Wii Sports somehow gets a rep before her.
Waluigi comes to mind and he's an AT. He's got next time at least. And I am not expecting a Wii Sports Series Mii any time soon when Mii were made into customizable Smash fighters since Smash 4.

So things should be good in her favor.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Volleyball Girl is a Spirit and the chances of retro DLC is low.

So anyone can take this if they want, I'll be on my way out for good.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed Volleyball girl when she appeared as a spirit. Though to be fair, the moment it was mentioned that spirits were replacing trophies I was keenly scouring through the screen at every point spirits were being mentioned. In any case, loved seeing her included, even if it is only a small role.

I wouldn't say her chances for inclusion are impossible. Spirits are only 2D artwork and hardly qualify as a solid deconfirm. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if a retro character was amongst the DLC; a case of not being able to include the character in the base roster due to time and development being focused primarily on bringing back so many characters.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I was surprised and happy she got something at least.
This gives me more hope for her to appear as something more in the future...!
Also I don't think spirit= total deconfirmation. I have hope for DLC

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Say, could someone direct me to where I can see Volleyball Girl as a Spirit? I'm not saying I don't believe you all in that she got Thanos'd by Galeem, I'm just curious as to what design Sakurai went with when adding her as a Spirit.

NukeA6

Smash Master
If spirits are replacing trophies, I see no big deal. Wasn't Bayonetta original a trophy as well before the DLC?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Say, could someone direct me to where I can see Volleyball Girl as a Spirit? I'm not saying I don't believe you all in that she got Thanos'd by Galeem, I'm just curious as to what design Sakurai went with when adding her as a Spirit.
At 7:04 of the video. It's the same Famicom official artwork of her.

Anyways, I did say I was leaving. So goodbye.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
If spirits are replacing trophies, I see no big deal. Wasn't Bayonetta original a trophy as well before the DLC?
And so was Mewtwo and Lucas before they got released as DLC.
I don't like how most people are saying spirits=no chance for DLC.
For all we know Sakurai can make in game lores up like the spirits gaining a body and joining the fight, I don't know.
Volleyball Girl appearing is a good step at least. NES sports never really got exposure in Smash until now. Maybe this will get some people interested, I hope, and open a path for her for further appearances in the future (hopefully as playable)

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
Hello! As the new owner of this thread, I will need someone to make a new supporters list, because I am not good at repeatedly updating posts, and I don’t have the original post anyway. Thanks!- AirMac1 AirMac1

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm back and I'll handle that support list issue for you AirMac1 AirMac1

The least I can do since the server's infrastructure is too different to transfer ownership.

On a related topic, I don't have Volleyball Girl's spirit yet. Her battle was too tough.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

The least I can do since the server's infrastructure is too different to transfer ownership.

On a related topic, I don't have Volleyball Girl's spirit yet. Her battle was too tough.
Really? I found her Spirit Battle to be... relatively easy. I mean, different strokes, of course.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Really? I found her Spirit Battle to be... relatively easy. I mean, different strokes, of course.
Imagine playing as Isabelle and being pelted with too many soccer balls, on top of me not being able to shoot the spirit when I ran out of spirit points

I guess it will take a miracle to get it back.

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman

Thanks!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Imagine playing as Isabelle and being pelted with too many soccer balls, on top of me not being able to shoot the spirit when I ran out of spirit points

I guess it will take a miracle to get it back.
Oooohhh.... :urg:

I, uh... I guess I see your point. What's more, I take it you don't have that Sluggish Shield and/or Shield Spacer item?

Top Bottom