• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spike to Victory! Volleyball Girl Joins The Battle

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Spike for Victory! Volleyball Player Scores For Smash!

What is Volleyball?

Volleyball is a volleyball sports video game developed by Nintendo and Paxsoftnika. It was released by Nintendo for the Family Computer Disk System and Nintendo Entertainment System. Originally released in 1986, it was re-released for the WiiVirtual Console in Europe on August 10, 2007 and in North America on August 21, 2007. It is part of the NES Sports Series next to games like Ice Hockey, Soccer, Pro Wrestling, and Baseball. Even a player from the game appears as costume for the Super Expert Mode of the hit Wii U game Super Mario Maker.

Volleyball is a sports video game that follows the rules of volleyball. The player controls a team of six players, three at the net and three in back. The player serves the ball into play by pressing the same button twice.The game is a six player-a-side volleyball simulation. Players can select teams to compete in either a men's or women's competition from the following countries: United States, Japan, People's Republic of China, South Korea, Brazil, Soviet Union, Cuba, Tunisia.

How would a character from this game work? What interesting qualities would this Volleyball Girl have?

Being a game all about air control and defense, I would envision the Volleyball Player being all about those two aspects when she fights. Having great aerials for heavy hits and knock back, but weaker attacks one on the ground. This is the key to making her work as a great fighter. These spikes can also work to shoot a hard volleyball to the face of her foes in a special or even deflecting other hard projectiles at hr foes. Think Wii Fit Trainer, but sole focused on the art of volleyball playing.

Another key characteristic of the Volleyball Player is her strong legs. The legs are an important tool to help cover the opponent's ball during an average volleyball match. So I can see her having strong kicks when fighting on the ground to contrast the weaker non-spiking arm attacks. She would also have great jumps and running speed to compensate for her unique stage control. This would help her fend off stronger foes or dodge any deadly projectiles easily.

Are there any notable characters to be used? They all look like a bunch of plain boys and girls to me.

As you can see in the picture above, the Japanese female semi-long haired player is the main player used in advertising material for anything involving Volleyball for the Famicom in Japan. So many are bound to be familiar with this player the most when it comes to nostalgia. America however saw limited advertisement focusing on the common American male volleyball players instead. So I can see the female working as the main playable character, also due to the similar female player appearing as a costume in Super Mario Maker. While the more Eurocentric male American Nintendo players are familiar with can easily work as an alt (as shown in the NA boxart above).

Arguments Against A Volleyball Player

The game had terrible reviews. It's considered one of the worst NES sports games in history

While that may be true, that still didn't stop the Ice Climbers from being included. The game sold well on the NES in some countries, but got criticized for level design among other flaws the game had. But Sakurai still chose both characters because they would be seen as unique and less problematic compared to other Nintendo retros at the time (Mach Rider, Bubbles, Balloon Fighter, etc). So negative criticism shouldn;t really be an obstacle for Volleyball content in Smash.
What's the point of having a sports fighter when all they do is play sports? That can't work in a fighting game!

There exists a cult classic Capcom fighter (Rival Schools) which was all about high school kids fighting using a variety of skills from their favorite sports and clubs. This would include baseball, swimming, photography, boxing, basketball, running, tennis, and you've guessed it volleyball. So saying a character is inappropriate because of their sports origins won't work much. Also, characters like Duck Hunt and Mr. Game & Watch were given enough material to work as fighters form their own games and other material. Even R.O.B. went further and became a killer robot with lasers instead of the real world peripheral we all knew and loved (or hated). So plenty of things can be added to make Volleyball Player work as a fighter.

Moveset

Entrance Animation: The Volleyball Girl runs towards the stage and takes a bow before getting into her volleyball stance (Reference to the intro animations of any match)

Idle Animation: She stands in the average volleyball player stance that consists of a semi-squat with bend legs and holding her hands out (which she pulls in and out). Other animations would involve her standing to flip her hair or even practice spikes with her hands.

Walk: She walks normally with her arms swinging within each step.

Run: She does a full on human run with large strides and swinging arms. Think Wii Fit Trainer, but with her back fully arched forward.

Sleeping Animation: She falls asleep while on her knees with her head down.

Dizzy Animation: She stumbles around with her legs still bent with her arms dropping. There are times where she leads back and pulls herself forward to keep from falling on her back.

Dodge Animation: She does the type of dodging you would expect out of a soccer goalie, complete with her arms raised.

Normals

Jab: Volleyball Player swings arm downwards with both hands together before doing a grounded volleyball hit (which knocks the foe upwards slightly). The final hit is a powerful kick with her right leg for good knockback.

Forward Tilt: She does a backhand swing with a tennis racket.

Up Tilt: Volleyball Player deals a standard headbutt at a slight arc with her upper body.

Down Tilt: She does a hard-hitting sweep kick with her strong legs.
Dash Attack: She does the standard collapse volleyball technique that involves her body dropping with her hands together for a last minute serve. The sliding body damage the foe slightly before the “serve” knocks them upward.

Neutral Air: She curls her body into that of a gymnast to spin briefly.

Forward Air: She swings her arm forward with her legs held back (common serving technique)

Back Air: She turns around and does another double handed serve to knock away foes.

Up Air: The player deals another headbutt for diagonal knockback.

Down Air: Performs a slight stomp with her feet stretched out (Like Ganondorf and Wii Fit Trainer)

Forward Smash: She squats on her legs with her hands held outstretched before lunging forward with several powerful kicks. The last kick deals the knock back compared to the weaker first kick.

Up Smash: She bends down with her hands raised for a deadly volley with her opponent. The first jump knocks the foe upwards before she hits them with her hands to send him/her flying.

Down Smash: Volleyball Girl kneels down before holding her left leg back and arms crossed. This would lead into a dual kick in the vein of a Russian dance (the last kick deals knockback)

Grab: Volleyball Girl reaches out both arms in a wrestling grapple.

Pummel: She knees the foe with her right leg hard while aggressively holding on to them.

Forward Throw: She knocks the foe away with a drop kick.

Back Throw: She hugs her foe before performing a backwards duplex for hard hitting damage.

Up Throw: The opponent is tossed into the air as if they were a volleyball before they are knocked away by a violent headbutt.

Down Throw: She stomps the foe as if they were a stray soccer ball before she kicks them away.

Neutral Special: Volleyball

Volleyball Girl takes out a volleyball with her right hand tossed it slightly before spiking it with her left hand. This would cause a large white volleyball to be bounced around the room as a secondary projectile for her to interact with. Unlike Wii Fit Trainer’s special, this is all about interacting with the ball in a variety of ways for it to be moved. Simply pressing the button while pressing it in a certain direction dictates how it would move after or before launch. You will automatically do a Forearm Pass if you are too far away from the ball and hurt opponents slightly without the ball. It will disappear after a while if it isn’t it or bounced away too much. Plus opponents won’t be able to pick it up nor knock it back at her when she has full control of it.
  • Forearm Pass (Neutral): The standard volleyball pass that’s similar to the special’s intro that bounces the ball into an arc.
  • The Serve (Forward): This allows the Volleyball Girl to jump into the air and knock the ball forward when it’s near. This is good meteor smashing when an opponent is near and allows for slight faster ball travel.
  • The Smash (Downward): The Volleyball Girl jump into the air to knock the downwards with a hand strike for the strongest hit or faster speed. It would allow for more bouncing with the ball which can lead for it to fall.
  • The Volley (Upward): This allows her to jump into the air and knock the ball upwards. Due to the gravity, it will allow for the ball to rise slightly before dropping to the ground for boucing. It’s arguably the second weakest and slowest of all hits.
  • The Pancake (Downwards): Volleyball Girl drops into the ground in a flat position and knocks the ball into the air. The ball has low vertical height and slow speed, making it the less reliable techniques of the bunch.

Side Special: Ice Hockey

Volleyball Girl charges forward while rapidly tapping the hockey puck with her with black club. This can be seen as similar to Chibi Robo’s Side Special since it allows for slight vertical recover with a slow descent when used in midair and great for damage racking. This also deals ice damage due to the trail of ice she leaves behind when using the move.

Up Special: Power Block

Volleyball Girl seats down before jumping high into the air with her hands and legs outstretched as if she were blocking a ball. It can be angled with the tap of stick for less straight recovery when used, but it can’t be completely horizontal. Also, this can help block your own Volleyball or other projectiles foe foes to stop them from moving completely (or fully absorbing them). This is a helpful technique to keep the battle all about you and the ball when you want to.

Down Special: Baseball

Volleyball Girl takes out baseball bat and gets into a batter pose as if she were protecting a base. She would hold this pose for five seconds before putting the bat away and getting back int her neutral pose. She can strike foes with hard hitting homerun when they attack her when the bat is out. She automatically swings it when projectiles of any kind (even her own Volleyball) bounces near her. This is also a great technique of zoning with the volleyball due to how powerful it is compared to her Neutral Specials hitting techniques.

Final Smash: Game Time

An 8-bit whistle would blow before Volleyball Girl begins starting the first serve. This would summon several other players on both sides of the stage playing a round of volleyball with her for a full game. Similar to the Color Game-15, the game will go on for at least a few points for either team during this. The ball will cause even more damage based on which of the players (including her) hit the ball. The players themselves would also damage foes if they get too close with either dives, passes, strikes, or spikes.

She can not be controlled in this state and would continue playing with the other AI controlled players while they are playing. When the match is over, all players will disappear with the 8-bit whistle playing again. The Volleyball Player gets back into her usual stance after breathing from her last strike.

Taunt 1: Volleyball Girl stretches her arms out into the air as if she’s stiff.

Taunt 2: She juggles a volleyball briefly with her hands while breathing heavily. It would disappear upon the fourth bounce before she gets back into position.

Taunt 3: She jogs in place briefly before doing a few jumping jacks to stretch her limbs.

Victory Animation 1: Volleyball Girl jumps into the air to strike an incoming volleyball before landing on her legs to smile at the viewer.

Victory Animation 2: Volleyball Girl tries to block an incoming hockey puck with her stick with her legs spread. This would lead to her comically falling onto her posterior due to tripping after the swing.
Victory Animation 3: Volleyball Girl does a series of stretching exercises then pulls out her bottle of water to drink. Then ends with a relaxing sigh and a smile to the camera.

Alternate Costumes:

• Female Japanese Player (Red with Brown Hair)
  • Male United States Player (Blue with Brown Hair)
  • Female Chinese Republic Player (Purple with Dark Brown Hair)
  • Male Brazil Player (White with Dark Hair and Brown Skin)
  • Female Tunisia Player (Lime Green with Beige Hair)
  • Male Soviet Union Player (Pink with Light Brown Hair)
  • Female South Korea Player (Light Blue with Brown Hair)
  • Male Cuba Player (Green with Black Hair and Brown Skin)

Nintendo Volleyball Application List
AwesomeAussie27
Yomi's Biggest Fan
Squashini-Kun
Phantom Joker
CrusherMania1592
SneakyLink
Marakatu
slambros
kool2419
smashkirby
Caravan of Noobs
SegaGameBoy
Mr. J
One Winged Devil
Souldin
Smashing Ramen
NukeA6
Jyl
Crap-Zapper
Gemini-Gene
BonaFideFella
Oddball
Dyllybirdy

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
This character would be a weird but cool pick for the WTF Retro Character. I'm supporting this.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This character would be a weird but cool pick for the WTF Retro Character. I'm supporting this.
Added you mate.

A NES Nintendo sports character is far from likely, but I would love it for her to playable.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I can definitely throw my support behind this. The other WTF retro character I support is Ayumi Tachibana.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That's about 3 supporters for now.

Just remembering that Super Mario Maker was her last mainstream appearance makes me wish there was a Switch port for the game. And of course the Volleyball game for Virtual Console.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Another interesting retro character i don`t mind seeing in smash, i support volleyball girl all the way.

Last edited:

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I love nobodies as they're the characters that need love in Smash. Put her in as a playable character. Or at least a trophy.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Updated the list. Didn't expect this much activity, but all new players are welcome for the court.

Say, who do you all think Volley-chan's VA would be, and what's more, should she be JP-voiced only?
This one will be a challenge. Since she never had a real voice actor before, she would need someone who can be both cute and athletic in the voice.

My idea would be to have Sumire Uesaka voice her. Her best known role is Mai Kawakami from Musaigen no Phantom World. She is athletic and can be cute, so I can trust her the most of all Japanese VA's for Volleyball Girl.

Last edited:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I fully support this thread.
Not much to explain other than, the fact that I love retro reps.
So I'm all for her inclusion. And if there's anything I'd like to add. It's the fact that we need a volleyball stage asap so that we can fight while we play against a team of girls playing volleyball!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So I'm all for her inclusion. And if there's anything I'd like to add. It's the fact that we need a volleyball stage asap so that we can fight while we play against a team of girls playing volleyball!
Agreed, a Volleyball stage would be the most beautiful thing ever in Smash.

Added to the list.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I imagine the stage would be flat with the net in the middle that acts like a spring. I also think that there would be an event where you play vollyball with the soccer ball item against an AI.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
This one will be a challenge. Since she never had a real voice actor before, she would need someone who can be both cute and athletic in the voice.

My idea would be to have Sumire Uesaka voice her. Her best known role is Mai Kawakami from Musaigen no Phantom World. She is athletic and can be cute, so I can trust her the most of all Japanese VA's for Volleyball Girl.
You know, I was considering Volley-chan's VA to be Narumi Tsunoda (Natsu's VA from Rival Schools). You know, as a sort of shout-out to the character, but I feel like her voice might be too deep for Volley-chan. I mean, unless Tsunoda can do a lighter voice...

Agreed, a Volleyball stage would be the most beautiful thing ever in Smash.

Added to the list.
I imagine the stage would be flat with the net in the middle that acts like a spring. I also think that there would be an event where you play volleyball with the soccer ball item against an AI.
Maybe the spring-like net would send you flying farther, depending on how much damage you've taken?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You know, I was considering Volley-chan's VA to be Narumi Tsunoda (Natsu's VA from Rival Schools). You know, as a sort of shout-out to the character, but I feel like her voice might be too deep for Volley-chan. I mean, unless Tsunoda can do a lighter voice...

Maybe the spring-like net would send you flying farther, depending on how much damage you've taken?
Right, Tsunoda is kind of a questonalbel choice since since that role of her's is more for someone more sporty and aggressive. What are her other roles when she had a lighter tone to the voice?

And agreed. The spring net would be a neat gimmick for the Volleyball stage. If you want the spring to bounce based on high damage, then that would be Mario Bros levels of broken. Though a more harmless net would still make the stage banned either way.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know i haven`t thought about that, you might be on to somenthing.
Yeah, because Mario Maker added some pretty "out there" characters, like Ayumi Tachibana, Donbe and Hikari, Barbara the Bat, Starfy, and the Volleyball player herself. I'm pretty sure there were still some popular choices to choose from that they never did use, like Dixie Kong. I just can't help but wonder if this meant something...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wow, I should really pay attention to this more.

This the dumbest idea of a character I ever heard....so what are you waiting for add me to the support list already!
Late, but as you wish.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly, after Super Mario Maker, I want to believe Smash will do something with her. Maybe an AT or a Nintendo sports medley stage?

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
A character to represent the NES Sports Series... that would actually be pretty cool. Duck Hunt Dog/Duo/Trio showed you can have a character referencing multiple sources outside of their specific game (in Duck Hunt's case, other NES Zapper games), so there is plenty that could be added to Volleyball Girl's move-set outside of NES Volleyball for a fun move-set. Thanks to Super Mario Maker, she might be considered the more recognisable character from the NES Sports line, at least to younger folks, so having her as the base representative for the NES Sports would be pretty neat.

So yeah, I love the idea of this character and would appreciate being put down as a supporter.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Honestly, after Super Mario Maker, I want to believe Smash will do something with her. Maybe an AT or a Nintendo sports medley stage?
I wouldn't mind an Assist Trophy at all or a new Nintendo Sports Medley. The scrapped one from Brawl sounds good enough and I would like to have that back in the final game.

A character to represent the NES Sports Series... that would actually be pretty cool. Duck Hunt Dog/Duo/Trio showed you can have a character referencing multiple sources outside of their specific game (in Duck Hunt's case, other NES Zapper games), so there is plenty that could be added to Volleyball Girl's move-set outside of NES Volleyball for a fun move-set. Thanks to Super Mario Maker, she might be considered the more recognisable character from the NES Sports line, at least to younger folks, so having her as the base representative for the NES Sports would be pretty neat.

So yeah, I love the idea of this character and would appreciate being put down as a supporter.
Consider that done. Glad to have you aboard.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind an Assist Trophy at all or a new Nintendo Sports Medley. The scrapped one from Brawl sounds good enough and I would like to have that back in the final game.
Oh, when I said 'Nintendo sports medley stage', I actually meant an ACTUAL STAGE that "teleports" to different Nintendo sports games, like Volleyball, Pro Wrestling, Soccer, etc.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oh, when I said 'Nintendo sports medley stage', I actually meant an ACTUAL STAGE that "teleports" to different Nintendo sports games, like Volleyball, Pro Wrestling, Soccer, etc.
Oh right.

A stage is even better, what better way to represent them is through a tour of all of Nintendo's earliest games in HD?

It can easily make up for no character.

NukeA6

Smash Master
And I thought I've seen every odd request for Smash Bros. Whatever, I support. I did like that one volleyball girl in Rival Schools so I imagine she would be no different.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
And I thought I've seen every odd request for Smash Bros. Whatever, I support. I did like that one volleyball girl in Rival Schools so I imagine she would be no different.
No joke, in the 'beyond-miraculous' event that Volleyball Girl IS added to Smash, I'd want her to borrow heavily from Natsu's (Rival Schools' volleyball player) moveset. I mean, serving flaming volleyballs? Sign me up for that!

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
After much thought, I think this would be a really cool addition to Smash, as the wtf Retro rep.
And I do like the NES sports series. Count me in for support.
Maybe she can utlize moves from other NES Sports title? Like for example ice hockey for down B or wrestling grab move, to equally represent the other sports title?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
After much thought, I think this would be a really cool addition to Smash, as the wtf Retro rep.
And I do like the NES sports series. Count me in for support.
Maybe she can utlize moves from other NES Sports title? Like for example ice hockey for down B or wrestling grab move, to equally represent the other sports title?
Added to the support list.

And right, i would be all for the idea of her using moves based on the other NES sports games as well. Hence why I had ideas like using a racket from Tennis, swinging a bat from Baseball for a special, or moving with a puck and stick from Ice Hockey.

Now that I think of it, it would be amusing to see her backdrop someone like an NES Pro Wrestler.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Added to the support list.

And right, i would be all for the idea of her using moves based on the other NES sports games as well. Hence why I had ideas like using a racket from Tennis, swinging a bat from Baseball for a special, or moving with a puck and stick from Ice Hockey.

Now that I think of it, it would be amusing to see her backdrop someone like an NES Pro Wrestler.
Thanks. Also

The scrapped one from Brawl sounds good enough and I would like to have that back in the final game.
First time I'm hearing this, what's this about?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
First time I'm hearing this, what's this about?
There were about a good chunk of songs found in Brawl's files that were scrapped songs planned for the game.

One of them was the Famicom Sports Medley and here's what it sounds like.

Imagine if we had gotten this in the final game.

Top Bottom