• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SPECULATION: My theory on how spirits debunk newcomers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chargernosespraylink

Smash Rookie
Warning: This thread is about my theory on why spirits actually debunk the character.
The only evidence we all can agree on, that is also factual, is time. Until the time when all of the DLC fighters are revealed, we'll have to wait and speculate.

Hi, fairly new to this board and all, so chillax with me on this one.
I have a theory on why spirits debunk newcomers in Smash, and I think it's fairly reasonable, some might not, but hey, it's just a theory. A game theory.

I want to start off this theory by looking into what spirits are;
"Spirits are characters who lost their bodies through disintegration (due to Galeem's attack) and were transformed into disembodied souls.." (SSB Wiki on Spirits (characters)). Without bringing any strong points forward, I'd like to make a weak jab and say that spirits who have lost their bodies in the disintegration attack can't have their bodies back because of Galeem and stuff. A weak argument.

But here's my actual theory:

The spirit characters are a gameplay function that enhance the gameplay when they're equipped. They essentially are powerups, and if those powerups were to be removed to make the place for the spirit that the powerup originally came from, it would mess with the Spirits system. If I , for example, had a Lv. 100 Shantae spirit, and it was removed to make place for a Shantae figher spirit (spirit to fighters on the roster), it would waste my points and candies and all of that. We can't make an additional fighter spirit to a powerup spirit, because there can't be two exactly same spirits.

Specifically on the "there can't be two of the same spirit" thing I've gotten a lot of feedback against, so let me just debunk some things about it:

1. "The Wii Fighter has several spirits of multiple yoga poses, why is she a spirit?" - That's because the spirit is showcasing the yoga pose itself, and not the fighter using it. How else would you showcase the yoga poses?
  2. "We have (for example) the Cardboard Box spirit, why is it a spirit if Snake uses it as a move/taunt?" - Same point as above, the spirit is meant to showcase the item itself and not the character using it.
  3. "We have King K. Rool as a fighter, but also a Captain K. Rool spirit? Why?" - They're the same characters from different timepoints/timelines in their lives. It's very alike how there are multiple Link fighters in the game.

Tl;dr: If Nintendo were to make a spirit into a newcomer, it'd be yanking with the spirit system, and it'd conflict with the statement that there can't be two spirits of the exactly same character.

What do you guys think of this theory? If there's any flaws or things that need more "Looking into", I'd be glad to hear.

D

Deleted member

One hole is this is that you can literally get two of the same Spirit. That would kinda clash with the whole "there can only be one of each Spirit thing"

chargernosespraylink

Smash Rookie
One hole is this is that you can literally get two of the same Spirit. That would kinda clash with the whole "there can only be one of each Spirit thing"
What spirits can you get two of? I mean like two spirits that are not the same and of the exact same character.

D

Deleted member

What spirits can you get two of? I mean like two spirits that are not the same and of the exact same character.
You can potentially get a Spirit in WoL and then get that same Spirit through the Spirit Board, for example. It's a small hole but still a hole

chargernosespraylink

Smash Rookie
You can potentially get a Spirit in WoL and then get that same Spirit through the Spirit Board, for example. It's a small hole but still a hole
I'm aware you can get multiple of the same spirit.
What I mean is that there can't exist multiple (but different) spirits of the exact same character, for example:
There can't exist a Shantae fighter spirit and not a Shantae powerup spirit because both of these spirits represent the exactly same character.

D

Deleted member

I'm aware you can get multiple of the same spirit.
What I mean is that there can't exist multiple (but different) spirits of the exact same character, for example:
There can't exist a Shantae fighter spirit and not a Shantae powerup spirit because both of these spirits represent the exactly same character.
That's fair. However, what's, like, stopping then from doing so? Like it's not like there would be any confusion from doing so considering Fighter Spirits can't be equipped, and besides bigger cameos like Final Smashes, Mii Costumes, and Victory Screens don't deconfirm either. I mean the fact that Robin can call Chrom to beat up Chrom while a Mii dressed as Chrom watches shows that Sakurai probably doesn't care about small things like that.

chargernosespraylink

Smash Rookie
That's fair. However, what's, like, stopping then from doing so? Like it's not like there would be any confusion from doing so considering Fighter Spirits can't be equipped, and besides bigger cameos like Final Smashes, Mii Costumes, and Victory Screens don't deconfirm either. I mean the fact that Robin can call Chrom to beat up Chrom while a Mii dressed as Chrom watches shows that Sakurai probably doesn't care about small things like that.
That's maybe true, but the only evidence we both have is time. Only time can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom