• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Speculation into Melee's Future

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
After having the realization that this game made in 2001 is still getting bigger, I wondered how this game (and it's "story") will play out.

What're your thoughts on the matter? With the rule that allows Hybrid Gate and some mods, this game will have a lot of Fox's doing more crazy ****.

Last edited:

Pigwig

Smash Rookie
I don't think Smash as a whole will plummet as it remains a fun game to play casually with friends.

In terms of professional play, I feel as though melee viewing will drop off a bit once the original 'family' of smashers who made the game popular stop playing professionally.

Kerghan

Smash Rookie
In terms of professional play, I feel as though melee viewing will drop off a bit once the original 'family' of smashers who made the game popular stop playing professionally.
I hope you're wrong.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
What're your thoughts on the matter? Will someone be close to 20XX and be the true God? When will the Melee God era end? When will Smash as a whole plummet?
I hope melee continues to thrive enough that we need a new documentary to recap what we've created. 20XX will never happen because humans cannot physically act that fast. The end to the melee god era is on the horizon. It won't be long till a demigod wins a tournament ie: s2j almost taking a set off armada. Smash as a whole will never plummet not because of nintendo and game support, but because of a thriving community.

Madcatz McGee

Smash Rookie
The game will last as long as the gods remain active in the scene most likely. I believe Armada said on one of his streams that he feels Melee still has a good 5-7 years left. Honestly, it's pretty insane the game has lasted this long already.

.Marik

is a social misfit
yeah melee got like another 10 years but by then technology will have advanced so much we'll probably have a replacemen t

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
In Smash 6 all those dank kids will be wearing VR helmets and actually kicking the crap outta each other (sponsored by World Star Hip Hop).

I think Melee will be around for another 10 years, I excitedly await the new Gods and Melee personalities. There will be three eras: Before Mang0 (Melee B.M.), Anno Domelee (Melee A.D.), and Post GOAT (Melee P.G.)

Comraderose

Smash Rookie
I think on a casual to low level people will play until they psychically can't play anymore and crts are gone and a collectors item. I think on a competitive level 10 years is a stretch. Speaking for myself Ill play melee until a better game comes along(and it will). The depth of the game is what got me into it but I have no love for "smash" as a franchise or Nintendo.

Last edited:

TooPooOrNot

Smash Rookie
I was thinking about this recently.

I know Melee is the better version competitively due to the fact that it requires one to be really skilled to play it. And people see it as being insanely hard. Except it isn't as hard as people think it is, when played by casuals at home having drinks. Only the highest competitive levels take it to such heights. And in that difficulty the fun is found and you know a person who wins deserved it 100% because of the real effort they had to put in to attain the skills.

Smash 4 is a better version of what Brawl was meant to be, and both versions are intentionally gimped skill level wise to make it easier for casual players. And because of this it isn't able to be better than Melee competitively. But the casual market has something to grab on to and that brings sales.

The issue was Nintendo trying to force people to not be competitive. Melee is played the way it is by exploiting gaps in the design the original engineers and developers didn't expect. Giving it this polarizing divide, between casual play and engine breaking competitive play. Casuals aren't going to go to tournaments, so I don't see why the "high skill ceiling" is an issue to them. And the tournament players don't want to be forced to play casually, so the casual way of play is something they can just avoid. I have been secretly hoping for a Smash 2. Hopefully just updated, and not redesigned to intentionally add the tech the pros have figured out. Because doing so will change the feel of the game to much I think to keep that Melee vibe. But a more modern engine running the same mechanics that can be broken if the player wants to, or ignored if the player chooses to just play a few games with some friends.

And with the Switch being released Nintendo has had a big resurgence of fans. And one of their new movements is towards competitive play. And they are backing more events. So the first issue of them being so strongly against it seems a bit out dated now. Of course they are recouping costs at the moment and releasing 'HD remakes" of games like Mario Kart 8 DX. So we will probably just get Smash 4 DX or something like that.

But. With Injustice 2 having such good levels of success with their game model of having all these extras that can be turned off for competitive play, I see no reason why Nintendo can't do something similar with a game that could be Melee 2. Competitive and casual can live in harmony with one game. Melee literally proved that. Nintendo were just but hurt because that wasn't what they intended. But they aren't blind. They know there is a massive fan base for the extra skill ceiling and will eventually fold and release something that can be played to the level of Melee. Whether that is the next game in the series or if that is many years down the line when the Melee community is gone and nobody has picked up the newer titles. It is bad business to brush aside such a monstrous collection of people with bank accounts. and they have reshuffled the board with younger members to weed out all the old bad business decision makers.

Of course in my country I haven't played Melee against another human in maybe a decade. And there is somewhat no scene for the Smash 4 game either. So I will be picking up whatever Smash game is dropped on the Switch as Nintendo South Africa finally starts to take the stick out of their asses and actually do some brand marketing and community work.

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
Melee will probably still grow for several more years. I could possibly see EVO dropping Melee within the next 3 years, but there will certainly be people playing on basically as long as there are still copies of the game. If we look at games like Pac-Man or Donkey Kong that were big in their time, and may not be mainstream anymore, there are still thousands of people that sill play the game like crazy. One way or another, Melee has left a lasting impression on the gaming community so far, and I don't see a time in the next 20 years when Melee will stop being played.

Top Bottom