• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spark a Rivalry - Super Smash Bros. x Rivals of Aether

Which Rivals character would you most like playable in Smash?

• Zetterburn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orcane

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Wrastor

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Kragg

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Forsburn

• Maypul

• Absa

• Etalus

• Ranno

• Clairen

• Sylvanos

• Elliana

• Mollo

• Hodan

• Pomme

• Olympia

• Total voters

Paraster

Smash Lord
1625936863075.png

(feel free to ignore Ori and Shovel Knight lol)
Rivals of Aether is an indie platform fighter developed by Dan Fornace released fully in March 2017 (having been in early access since September 2015), it would eventually receive a "Definitive Edition" in September 2020 that was also released on Nintendo Switch. Rather clearly, it was heavily inspired by Smash Bros.--in addition to the obvious, it was based on a Game Boy-styled fangame called "Super Smash Land" and several characters borrow move concepts directly from Smash fighters, though all of them have enough unique ideas that they feel original and not like reskins. The game itself also has several gameplay differences like a lack of ledge-grabbing (compensated for by all stages allowing all characters to wall jump off the main platform) and the replacement of shields and grabs with a parry system that inflicts a brief stun.

The characters of Rivals are varied and interesting, with all of them having some unique gimmick.

Untitled.png
Zetterburn

"The Fire's Roar"

Heir to the emperor of the Firelands and one of its greatest champions, determined to avenge the assassination of his father.

Represents the element of fire.

Plays closely to Fox, most noticeably in his up special as well as his neutral special being based on Fox's Reflector/"shine." He's fast and strong, but overall serves as a good all-rounder. One of the two characters who could be considered a "mascot" for the game, partially due to him serving well as "the Mario" of Rivals.

Possesses the ability to light opponents on fire, inflicting damage over time--on top of his strong/smash attacks doing increased damage to burning opponents.

Untitled.png
Orcane

"The Puddle Jumper"

A playful trickster who steals from the Water Trading Company to help its underpaid workers--but gets hired by the WTC to fight back against the Air Armada.

Represents the element of water.

Orcane's inspiration was not a canon Smash character, but Super Smash Land's version of Vaporeon. He's fast and tricky, but has trouble actually landing KOs. The other potential mascot for Rivals, to the point where he has actually appeared in indie crossover platform fighters Indie Pogo and Fraymakers.

Can create puddles that can release damaging bubbles, power up certain moves, or be teleported to as a unique sort of up special.

Untitled.png

Wrastor

"The Wind's Fury"

An arrogant and unpredictable pilot in the Air Armada who gets wrapped up into a strange conspiracy while on a scouting mission to the Aetherian Forest.

Represents the element of air.

While in personality and aesthetic design Wrastor is very similar to Falco, he feels more like a composite of several air-focused fighters. As you'd expect from his power, mobility, and combo potential in the air, he struggles a bit on the ground (and he's also rather light).

Can summon an air current that increases his horizontal speed while inside it, and he can perform strong/smash attacks in midair.

Untitled.png

Kragg

"The Earth's Bastion"

Kragg is a Wall Runner, one who patrols the massive Rock Wall that separates the Aetherian Forest from the rest of the land. One day, he finds a huge breach in the Wall, and sets out to find the cause.

Represents the element of earth.

Kragg is a straight-up heavyweight, sacrificing mobility and combos for weight and raw power. Simple but mighty.

Can summon a stone block to be thrown like an item or broken into smaller projectiles, and his up special summons a huge stone pillar up from the bottom blast zone.

Untitled.png
Forsburn

"The Exiled Flame"

The eldest son of Emperor Renburn, Forsburn was the chief diplomat of the Firelands--until the emperor was assassinated and Forsburn blamed. Forced into exile, Forsburn fell in with a clan that wielded not fire, but smoke.

Represents the element of smoke.

Forsburn is a bait-and-punish character with prominent disjoints, unusual strong/smash, and multiple ways to obfuscate his actions.

Can summon smoke clouds to hide behind or absorb for a powerful attack, as well as summon clones of himself to aid in combat and confuse opponents.

Untitled.png
Maypul

"The Sylvan Watcher"

Resident and guardian of the beautiful but dangerous Aetherian Forest, fighting alongside a small carnivorous plant named Lily. Sensing a dangerous corruption, she stumbles upon even stranger threats.

Represents the element of nature.

Maypul's closest to ninja-like rushdown characters--light, but swift and with powerful kill confirms.

Can "mark" opponents, allowing herself to teleport to them or wrap them in place.

Adding any Rivals character would be a great way to add a unique new fighter in a simple way (since they're already geared around platform fighter gameplay; few changes or additions would be necessary!), as well as a way to reflect on the success of Smash itself by showing off something inspired by Smash--on top of honoring the indie community!

Which Rivals character would you like to see? What music/spirits/stage would be brought along?

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ya know what?
Enjoy this Kragg stock Icon I made for fun around a year ago.

I'd love to see him or good ol' Orcane in Smash in ANY capacity. Playable being top priority of course. XD
BC9AA710-DB7C-4F85-B5BD-6B8735BBE521.jpeg

I main Kragg in this game, too.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
What do you think a Rival's Final Smash would be? Something more original based on their element/powers, or something similar to Min Min's where a bunch of Rivals (likely just the ones who appeared in Story Mode) attacked as a group?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Do you think they would acknowledge Orcane originally having a moveset meant for Vaporeon, since Smash is obviously in contact with The Pokemon Company?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Honestly, any RoA representation in Smash would be such a great sign of respect from Sakurai. Especially considering it was a game inspired by Smash Bros. Like a love letter of sorts.

Ranno or Zetterburn Mii Costume would blow my mind.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
This would be amazing!

Personally, I'd pick Elliana or Pomme...but I really don't feel like either of them would ever be picked. It would absolutely be Zetterburn or Orcane...maaaaayyyyyybe Kragg...

Either way, I'd love it if a Rivals character joined Smash and actually kept all of Rivals' unique mechanics, like the wall jump, no ledge grabs, the parry...I don't know if thats a good idea or not, but...

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Support. Love Rivals.

What do you think a Rival's Final Smash would be? Something more original based on their element/powers, or something similar to Min Min's where a bunch of Rivals (likely just the ones who appeared in Story Mode) attacked as a group?
I feel like it would be the latter realistically, but I'd hate it. Ult is so over saturated with cutscene Final Smashes, I'd rather have a quick and powerful AoE elemental attack that hits once and keeps the pace of battle flowing (like Critical Hit.)

Funnily enough, there's a worskshop buddy for Rivals that achieves this exact idea: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2424756684

Personally, I'd pick Elliana or Pomme...but I really don't feel like either of them would ever be picked. It would absolutely be Zetterburn or Orcane...maaaaayyyyyybe Kragg...

Either way, I'd love it if a Rivals character joined Smash and actually kept all of Rivals' unique mechanics, like the wall jump, no ledge grabs, the parry...I don't know if thats a good idea or not, but...
Again, I feel like Orcane or Zetterburn would be the realistic choices but they'd be really underwhelming. They're the basic starter characters of Rivals; someone like Slyvanos would be much more interesting because he does something that no other character on the Smash roster can do (grass placement mechanics).

I would like Rivals's mechanics to be translated over as well, like the wall jump and parry, but I think ledgegrabbing and shields should stay since Smash's balance and mechanics heavily relies on those functions being available to all characters on the roster.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I feel like it would be the latter realistically, but I'd hate it. Ult is so over saturated with cutscene Final Smashes, I'd rather have a quick and powerful AoE elemental attack that hits once and keeps the pace of battle flowing (like Critical Hit.)
If we're lucky, the 3D sequel will have its own version of Final Smashes and there'll be no need to debate this.
Again, I feel like Orcane or Zetterburn would be the realistic choices but they'd be really underwhelming. They're the basic starter characters of Rivals; someone like Slyvanos would be much more interesting because he does something that no other character on the Smash roster can do (grass placement mechanics).

I would like Rivals's mechanics to be translated over as well, like the wall jump and parry, but I think ledgegrabbing and shields should stay since Smash's balance and mechanics heavily relies on those functions being available to all characters on the roster.
I'd actually argue that Orcane's puddle mechanic is pretty interesting; it may not be as unique as the likes of Sylvanos, but Smash hasn't had an up special like Orcane's and down special is at least fairly different from other "trap" moves.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I started on a doc detailing what a Challenger Pack for Orcane could look like.

It's not 100% complete, but I'm proud of what I've done so far.

Feedback is appreciated, whether here or through comments on the doc!

xzx

Smash Lord
I think Maypul has the least amount of "Smash moves" (together with Sylvanos maybe) and so would make a great addition since no one in Smash Ultimate really plays like her unlike the other rivals to some extent.

For Final Smashes they could be inspired by the stage hazards or just something new honestly.

Honestly getting SOMETHING from RoA in Ultimate would be amazing!

Top Bottom