• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spam

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
What is a good way to deal with Ridley side-B spam? I see it coming but it always gets me

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
What character are you struggling against it with? I find some characters have many more answers to it than others.

Last edited:

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
I’m talking about the command grab, I think it’s side-B right? Anyways I play inkling

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Splattershot causes flinching up-close, forming a wall that Ridley can't charge through (Space Pirate Rush lacks super armor, so it can be interrupted). Of course, if you’re out of ink, good luck with that...

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Oh! Side-b, right. For some reason, I was thinking plasma breath.

I'm not the most familiar with Inkling and haven't ever played as her, but I do know that in general, players who either keep distance, keep to the air, or do not sit in shield very often are significantly harder to grab with space pirate rush (Ridley's side-b).

I usually get tons of these off on players who start playing predictably, because it is a fairly sluggish move. If, for example, I expect you to roll dodge left, I'll probably use space pirate rush and go for the grab. If you instead jump up, I'll miss and you'll be able to punish it. The grab goes pretty far, so even if a player does roll dodge away from you, you can usually grab them anyways as Ridley. Ridley loves players who roll around a lot!

Last edited:

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
Thank you both for the responses! Predatoria are you a Ridley main? If so are you available for some friendlies atm?

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I am, yes. The characters I play are Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, and a bit of Link, but I play Ridley the most by far and he's the only one I've given much attention to in ranked mode so far. My GSP on him has been hovering in the low to mid 3M's, but I haven't gotten to elite yet.

I could use some Inkling practice tbh, as it is certainly a matchup I'm not as familiar with.

I won't be online until later tonight though. I'm at work right now, and will be headed to a friend's place to hopefully devour his Simon main afterwards, hehehe.

Here's my friend code! SW-5219-6817-7975

Do you use Discord, by the way? Mine's Predatoria#0571

Last edited:

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
Sweet, If I can’t tonight then we will get some practice in at some point! I’ll send you a friend request right away!

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
No Ridley should be able to mindlessly spam side special, it's the slowest command grab in the game and lacks super armor which leaves him vulnerable both during and after the attack. Options to deal with it.

If Ridley just throws it out in neutral then here are options to deal with it.

Jump- Effective way to escape the attack, if he throws it out then you can just jump and punish with an aerial.

Attack- The attack has enough startup that characters including Inkling can get a smash attack in point blank distance after he's already input the move and the window only opens the more space available. Not saying you should try squeezing a smash attack since that's a narrow window, but you have more than enough time to interrupt with an attack of your own.

Run- Inkling is quick enough to just run safely out of distance and then be in a position to punish him where it ends, she can even outrun him from point blank if she does it right on startup, so if there's some distance this is definitely an option you can go for.

Roll/Sidestep- If you're closer to him then you can roll his direction to escape (though you won't be able to punish afterwards), if there's more space then you can roll away and be in a position to punish afterwards. If you can time the sidestep then he'll pass through you and you'll be in a perfect position to punish. Rolling away can be a bit risky if you don't know the spacing since he can still catch you if too close

However, if the Ridley is good then they won't just be throwing it out randomly. Your mistake might be assuming the Ridley is just spamming the move mindlessly when in fact the Ridley might have noticed a pattern in your behavior that he can capitalize to score free grabs.

Try to be conscious of your shields and rolls since those are both things that the Ridley is going to look to punish. Another Inkling specific thing is to be conscious of how you use your Roller, you're opponent probably knows that it's a move that takes commitment, and could see it as their golden opportunity to score a grab if you were to throw it out at an unsafe time.

Last edited:

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
No Ridley should be able to mindlessly spam side special, it's the slowest command grab in the game and lacks super armor which leaves him vulnerable both during and after the attack. Options to deal with it.

If Ridley just throws it out in neutral then here are options to deal with it.

Jump- Effective way to escape the attack, if he throws it out then you can just jump and punish with an aerial.

Attack- The attack has enough startup that characters including Inkling can get a smash attack in point blank distance after he's already input the move and the window only opens the more space available. Not saying you should try squeezing a smash attack since that's a narrow window, but you have more than enough time to interrupt with an attack of your own.

Run- Inkling is quick enough to just run safely out of distance and then be in a position to punish him where it ends, she can even outrun him from point blank if she does it right on startup, so if there's some distance this is definitely an option you can go for.

Roll/Sidestep- If you're closer to him then you can roll his direction to escape (though you won't be able to punish afterwards), if there's more space then you can roll away and be in a position to punish afterwards. If you can time the sidestep then he'll pass through you and you'll be in a perfect position to punish. Rolling away can be a bit risky if you don't know the spacing since he can still catch you if too close

However, if the Ridley is good then they won't just be throwing it out randomly. Your mistake might be assuming the Ridley is just spamming the move mindlessly when in fact the Ridley might have noticed a pattern in your behavior that he can capitalize to score free grabs.

Try to be conscious of your shields and rolls since those are both things that the Ridley is going to look to punish. Another Inkling specific thing is to be conscious of how you use your Roller, you're opponent probably knows that it's a move that takes commitment, and could see it as their golden opportunity to score a grab if you were to throw it out at an unsafe time.
Wow thanks for the tips, I’ll definitely try those out! I didn’t think I was being overly zealous with rolls

Wakko

Smash Rookie
What Great Potato Great Potato said.

Your best luck is to jump.
Spotdodge is hard since it usually catches you anyway by the end of the animation.
Try to understand this : its a "command GRAB"

What does GRAB beats?:

•Off-guard people
•Shield
•Readable behaviour

If you're getting grabbed again and again, you're probably in one of those situations.

>If you keep it on your mind, youll get grabbed off guard less often
>If you have a better neutral game, or if you're mixing up correctly, you'll get read less often
>Pop your shield to actually deflect an incoming attack

But since we're all human, prepare to be grabbed, its fine.Consider its an enhanced grab, like Incineroar or Bowser or Ganon.Its designed to beat shields, and working as intended.

Also,

Top Bottom