• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spacies shield pressure specifics

TipZ_SSBM

Smash Rookie
So I was playing at a local today and lost to a falco and a fox as marth. Throughout the sets both players would pressure my shield using a safe aerial-> shine-> wave shine. I was scared to try to shieldgrab it and was wondering how to deal with this sort of pressure. Thanks!

GhostM

Phantom
One of the ways to counter shield pressure is to buffer an option using the c-stick. Doing this will allow your next move to act on frame 1 after an opponents attack, giving you the chance to escape it. Depending on what you do for the c-stick, c-stick up frame buffers a jump on frame 1 after hitstun, allowing you to attack more faster. C-stick down frame buffers a spotdodge, and c-stick either left or right frame buffers a roll. Make sure you mixup your options to leave your opponent clueless, as consistent c-stick options can be easy to read.

Because it’s the spacies, you can frame buffer during their aerials instead of their shines, although it’s possible to do so, but much more difficult to land an option.

Last edited:

TipZ_SSBM

Smash Rookie
One of the ways to counter shield pressure is to buffer an option using the c-stick. Doing this will allow your next move to act on frame 1 after an opponents attack, giving you the chance to escape it. Depending on what you do for the c-stick, c-stick up frame buffers a jump on frame 1 after hitstun, allowing you to attack more faster. C-stick down frame buffers a spotdodge, and c-stick either left or right frame buffers a roll. Make sure you mixup your options to leave your opponent clueless, as consistent c-stick options can be easy to read.

Because it’s the spacies, you can frame buffer during their aerials instead of their shines, although it’s possible to do so, but much more difficult to land an option.
Thanks for the tip! While I was already aware, I was hoping there was possibly a more aggressive option to use against this sort of pressure. Just frame data wise is it possible to shieldgrab between the two shines? Should I wavedash forward THROUGH the spacie and turnaround grab? Any thoughts are appreciated :)

GhostM

Phantom
I think there is a possibility to grab between the two shines but 99.99% you are going to be punished because of the frame 1 shines. You can wavedash out easily by frame buffering a jump with c-stick up and wavedash either front or back. Most people would resort to c-stick up to attack with an aerial if the spacies are using an aerial, but you’d have to mixup your options when the shine is in play. Because shine comes out on frame 1, it’s pretty difficult to punish if you were to frame buffer c-stick up to attack with an aerial.

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
wavedassh ooS backwards and try to play neutral without shield
in my opinion you should not shield at all against those aerial...

Top Bottom