• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Space Ghost for Multiversus Support Thread

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Welcome to the Space Ghost Support Thread!
Space_Ghost.png

Greetings, Smashboards! Are you getting enough oxygen? You better be, because today we are here to discuss an icon amongst Warner Bros.' vast library of animated characters. We are going to talk about the man, the myth, the legend, Space Ghost.

Space Ghost started off as the hero of the eponymous 60s action cartoon by Hanna-Barbera. This series followed the adventures of the titular superhero as he fought crime......in space. Most of his powers came from his belt and wristbands, but his most famous and impressive power was the ability to turn invisible. It went on to become one of the many many classic cartoons under HB's belt, and is one of the most famous and noteworthy series to have come out of the more action-y side of their output.

But what makes Space Ghost so special? Sure, his original cartoon is a classic, but there's an absolutely ginormous wealth of characters that are eligible for this game, and he very easily gets lost in the shuffle when considering even just the other characters from his own lil' corner of the WB vault. I mean, not even Fred Flintstone has been confirmed yet! The thing is, well......

Notice how I said "original cartoon"?

Indeed, the Space Ghost story does not end here, because decades later, he underwent perhaps one of the craziest reinventions any cartoon character has ever gone through. In 1994, there was this lil' channel called Cartoon Network. Still in its relative infancy, mostly only played old WB and HB cartoons. Until one day, someone took stock footage from the original Space Ghost cartoon and repurposed it into what would eclipse its predecessor and become a true all-time classic. And that was how Space Ghost got his very own talk show.

We are indeed talking about Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Cartoon Network's first ever fully-produced original series (technically The Moxy Show came before, but that was pretty much just glorified interstitials for the aforementioned old cartoons). Using old footage from the original show, this series provided a completely new spin on the Space Ghost mythos. The man himself was done superheroing - he was now a talk-show host, with his old enemies now working with him, though they were kinda forced into it. He went through a substantial change in personality - now being much more of a jerk. However, easily the thing that made this show stand out was its utterly nonsensical humor. Despite claiming to be a talk show, the celebrity guest interviews were often interrupted by Space Ghost and co.'s antics as the show proceeded to go completely off-the-rails, and before you knew it, Space Ghost was blowing up Paris. It was an absolute experience, and there was nothing else like it airing on TV at the time. And let's be real: of the two incarnations of Space Ghost, this is probably the one you know. As briefly alluded to beforehand, this show went on to completely eclipse the original in terms of popularity and legacy, and I'm writing this OP mainly with that incarnation of him in mind. In fact, this show also left a very large legacy in another sect of CN's history - the production company responsible for making this show later went on to be responsible for pretty much all of Adult Swim's original programming. And it was this show that pretty much became the launchpad for AS - even having made the jump to it in its final years - and laid the foundation for a lot of what would more or less become their signature style! You can see traces of it all over their output over the years, namely in stuff like Aqua Teen Hunger Force and The Eric Andre Show. It's for this that, although it ran on Cartoon Network for most of its run, it's often considered to be, for all intents and purposes, basically an Adult Swim show through and through. Regardless, this show has proven to be an enduring classic, and an integral part of both CN and Adult Swim's history.

So how would Space Ghost fight? I mean.....he's a superhero. He can fly, he can turn invisible, and he can shoot powerful beams from his wristbands. But really, SGC2C is such a bat**** crazy show that you really could just go wild with him. And that's not even going into stuff like taunts. Dear lord, the potential there.

Anyway, yeah, I think Space Ghost would be an extremely fun and cool addition, and it surprises me that I haven't seen him talked about all that much for this game. I mean, c'mon, it's ****ing Space Ghost. You're gonna tell me you're against him getting in? LOOK AT HIM GO
20220103_025333.jpg

Ghost Planet Audience
Speed Weed Speed Weed
Flyboy Flyboy
OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos
AlRex AlRex
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Torgo the Bear Torgo the Bear
Greenhorne Ethan Greenhorne Ethan

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
HOLY **** HOW HAVE I NEVER CONSIDERED SPACE GHOST

What an incredible choice for a fighter. Not only does he have fun superpowers, Space Ghost Coast to Coast was the definition of iconic late night TV! A Space Ghost Coast to Coast studio stage would be amazing, and they could easily do cameos from other WB characters and actors on the the TVs in the background while everyone dukes it out! Yeah, this guy has shot up my most-wanted list. You better believe I support.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Everyone talks about Coast to Coast, nobody ever talks about Cartoon Planet. That’s how I learned about Space Ghost, and is why I love him.

But hey, Space Ghost is 100% on my most wanted list. And even if it’s a bit less likely, I’d be down to see Brak and/or Zorak too!

But either way I NEED to be able to hear some of Brak’s Cartoon Planet songs in this game

Last edited:

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326
One of my biggest supports, I don't know how I didn't put it in writing here already! My only real concern is how authentic he'd sound with George Lowe being retired, but I haven't had a good listen to either of his recasts. (Didn't even know he had a speaking role in Jellystone)

My first exposure to Space Ghost was hearing that was the name of Punch Time Explosion's announcer, but then my first real exposure to the franchise was the Cartoon Planet Revival. Big fan now, love its status as a sort of connecting tissue between Hanna-Barbera, Cartoon Network, and Adult Swim. (Aqua Teen Hunger Force being an indirect spinoff of a Hanna-Barbera superhero show is very funny, I'd hope he'd have interactions with them and/or T.O.M. to reference how they both connect back to him.)

I have been considering the possibility of Brak or Zorak too. I think Zorak would be a better inclusion, but seeing as he's yet to be given a speaking role in anything since Croker's passing, while Space Ghost has been recast and Merrill continues to play Brak, I think he's been somewhat retired out of respect.

EDIT: Andy Merrill apparently talked about Brak's appearance on Jellystone on a podcast recently, saying that Zorak will be with him with a speaking role. I suppose that's a sign in favor of him being in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom