• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sovereign Penguin -- DDD MU Discussion

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Last edited:

Mudokon117

Smash Cadet
Sheik is one of the only Melee top tiers that I have had very little experience with, so unfortunately I don't have too much to say about this one. :/ Will be lurking though, for future use...

For what it's worth, here are my two cents: All I've really experienced playing sheiks with Dedede so far is that we can get chain grabbed and combed pretty easily as usual, but sheik is a decent combo weight as well. Blegh, not really much good info there. The weirdest thing about the matchup is probably recovering against the needles. Those things are actually crazy good at shutting Dedede down if you are recovering from below, and some of the few times I've actually been gimped while playing Dedede it's been at the hands of a sheik. Any thoughts guys?

EDIT: @sneakytako would love to hear from you about this too. Let's revive this thread!

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Sheik is one of the only Melee top tiers that I have had very little experience with, so unfortunately I don't have too much to say about this one. :/ Will be lurking though, for future use...

For what it's worth, here are my two cents: All I've really experienced playing sheiks with Dedede so far is that we can get chain grabbed and combed pretty easily as usual, but sheik is a decent combo weight as well. Blegh, not really much good info there. The weirdest thing about the matchup is probably recovering against the needles. Those things are actually crazy good at shutting Dedede down if you are recovering from below, and some of the few times I've actually been gimped while playing Dedede it's been at the hands of a sheik. Any thoughts guys?
I've only really fought one solid Shiek (let's be honest Smash Ladder rarely has any good ones) but that was months ago so my memory is foggy. I do think that Needles are really good at shutting down both Waddles recovery. If Needles are used efficiently then you can lock down D3's burst movement option. To no surprise Shiek combos D3 like hell. If Shiek gets a grab expect at least a free 40%. Worst part is that her D-Throw chaingrab can be really difficult to DI on reaction so she can easily get one or two grabs effectively. D-Throw ---> F-Air is literally the worst part of this MU IMO. At high percents this puts D3 in a very bad position off stage. There isn't enough room for you to Waddledash so your only option is to recovery with jumps and Up-B which as you stated can actually gimp Dedede really well. Shiek also is one of the more difficult characters for D3 to edgeguard. The invincibility on it makes it super safe against D3 and even on stage F-Tilts will just clang with it. I do think Shiek is at decent combo weight but she does have some tools to escape like N-Air.

That being said D3 does have a few things going for him against Shiek. F-Tilt actually does a good job at stopping Needles and even though you can't use Waddles for burst movement you can use them to wall her out and make her go in. D3 also wins the grab game here. If you are forcing Shiek to approach she has very limited options that won't get shield grabbed. Shiek is gunna have to focus on using her dash dance to sneak past. Her only real good tool in neutral is a cross-up Dash Attack. But that can be really hard to space, though it does hail good reward for landing it.

That's all I really got. Looks like I'm gunna need to do some experimenting this week.

Last edited:

kinje

Smash Apprentice
I actually really want to hear ripple's opinion on this one, because I've seen him say that it's a favorable matchup for us before, but if the sheik player is using all of their tools, I don't see how that happens.
One thing that I have to stress is our vulnerability to combos and gimps in this matchup.
In my experience, at almost all percents, you're going to want to double stick DI everything, and keep track of where they like to chase for follow-ups.
If sheik grabs us, that can be a stock with like two reads or one imperfect DI, so we have to play the neutral really safe.
Sheik's needles and huge jump+bair destroys our recovery, but we still have tools and can live through two or three back airs by being conservative about jumps and up-b. As long as you don't get slapped or needled below stage, you can live though, so just put as much effort into avoiding that and staying high.
Getting the grab on sheik can be difficult, but once we get it, we have all the tools needed to juggle her for big damage or get her offstage and gimp, so it doesn't work out horribly for us.

Once you get sheik offstage, just hold (and refresh invincibility on) ledge and choose a good option to punish her lag if she lands on-stage out of up-b.
If your opponent is trickier about their recovery, they might air dodge on-stage but they'll probably have to burn their double jump, so just do what you can to not let them get into that position.

I think it's like
:dedede:45:55:sheik:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Once you get sheik offstage, just hold (and refresh invincibility on) ledge and choose a good option to punish her lag if she lands on-stage out of up-b./QUOTE]
Ya know I honestly need to jam it into my head to just grab ledge. I over complicate my edge guards.

Last edited:

Greatest Enemy

Smash Rookie
Sorry for such a late-in-the-week replay.

I suppose that, although Dedede loses this matchup, it isn't by that much. As far as the neutral goes, I've found Sheik wins it pretty hard. Needles destroy waddle toss, and any grab that sheik can get is pretty much a guaranteed 40 or puts Dedede offstage. Getting needled offstage is surprisingly hard to deal with. Even with multiple jumps and a huge up-B, Dedede can't live all the time. I think Dedede has to wait in shield a TON, and just try to space a grab out. If Dedede get a grab, he can put the hurt on sheik for sure. Up-throw -> Up-tilt and Up-throw -> Up-air aren't bad in the middle of the stage, and Once you get sheik offstage, edgeguarding her isn't too bad. She can get back onstage with up-b pretty easily, but there is so much lag that Dedede can punish this with another grab or a forward air.

Overall, not the worst matchup, but it can seem like it is if Dedede doesn't know what to do.

60 Sheik : 40 Dedede (I could also accept 55 Sheik : 45 Dedede)

Taytertot

Smash Ace
i see that you guys kinda have a scheduled mu discussion so i hope im not interrupting that but im a roy main and recently had my first roy vs D3 game which obviously didnt go very well since i didnt know the mu well (my opponent was a better player too which didnt help). So im curious what you all think D3's gameplan is vs roy and what roy can do to mitigate that plan? also what tools of roy's are particularly effective/annoying for D3?

i noticed that i was having a difficult time finding a way in when D3 spams sideB and then if i get around those he used ftilt/fair which stuffed many of my approaches. im really not sure how to exploit D3's weaknesses as roy as well as im sure i dont know all his weaknesses. for example many characters have approach angles that they have a hard time covering and i dont know what angles, if any, D3 finds hard to cover.

I may end up having a secondary to cover this mu since i do play a bit of link, MK and rob but id like to be able to handle even roy's more difficult mu's since that will help to improve my game overall.

Greatest Enemy

Smash Rookie
Hoo, boy.

It's kind of weird, playing against Roy. I think the main thing is to keep on him, and make sure he's not allowed to stay in the air/throw waddles liberally. Think of it kind of like Peach in that way. The biggest advantages Roy has on D3 is that he can combo the living **** out of him into death. Make sure your combo game is on point and make sure you're not missing L-cancels. If Dedede does get in on you, make sure you mix up your techs on d-throw and DI on reaction to f-throw, b-throw, and u-throw. Your biggest disadvantage is probably that Dedede can easily edgeguard Roy. Make sure to mix up your recovery, and make it hard for D3 to come out and get you. As a newer D3 player, I can tell you from experience that covering Marth/Roy when they recover low is very hard for me.

Lastly, make sure you're dash dancing well. Make sure you know the length of D3's waddle dash and plan accordingly if he's on there.

Oh, stages, I forgot. I think Roy will like smaller stages in this matchup, as well as platforms to continue his combos. Warioware, Yoshi's, Green Hill is kinda neutral...

I dunno about other stages, I hope this helps a bit.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
As a newer D3 player, I can tell you from experience that covering Marth/Roy when they recover low is very hard for me.
I find that if the Marth or Roy gets very consistent sweetspots it's best to either....

A. chase them off-stage and attempt to gimp them, both princes have very bad horizontal recoveries so b-air and f-air are good ways to snuff or trade with them. Tossing Waddles at them can restrict there path and even snuff there jump.

B. Read or bait out certain get-up options from the ledge. A lot of people neglect Dedede's many tools to cover get-up options, his f-tilt can be used safely to cover 3 of the 4 (though it is possible to cover the last option) options and can reset the opponent back to the ledge. SH f-air can cover there jump and it's super easy to react to and can be spaced at about the same range as f-tilt.

If the Marth/Roy is not so good a sweetspots then f-tilt will do you plenty of work with no effort.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
What are your opinions on the Kirby Match up? is this a win/loss/even match up? I'd imagine even because Kirby can chase, and knock away waddles, and is faster than D3. On the other hand, D3 has much more reach than Kirby, and hits harder, and can do a lot more off of a grab. I also think Kirby has a better dash attack because it recovers faster, and can cross up shields when used, negating the threat of a shield grab.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
What are your opinions on the Kirby Match up? is this a win/loss/even match up? I'd imagine even because Kirby can chase, and knock away waddles, and is faster than D3. On the other hand, D3 has much more reach than Kirby, and hits harder, and can do a lot more off of a grab. I also think Kirby has a better dash attack because it recovers faster, and can cross up shields when used, negating the threat of a shield grab.
It's really sad and campy. Kirby isn't very good at invading our space, and we excel at keeping that space with tilts and waddles. We win by racking up stray hits until we eventually catch them offstage with few jumps left or just straight KO them at like 180%. But if we don't play it really safe and boring we lose the matchup, because our punish game on Kirby is really lackluster and Kirby's punish game on us is pretty significant.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
It's really sad and campy. Kirby isn't very good at invading our space, and we excel at keeping that space with tilts and waddles. We win by racking up stray hits until we eventually catch them offstage with few jumps left or just straight KO them at like 180%. But if we don't play it really safe and boring we lose the matchup, because our punish game on Kirby is really lackluster and Kirby's punish game on us is pretty significant.
I just about figured as much.

What about the tech chase game on Kirby? when I managed a grab on him, down throw kinda let me do the usual chase, or d-smash on a read. Minions also kinda helped me a lot too. I played against WoRR this recent weekend at Final boss in San Jose. It was my first time in the MU, but I think if I had a little more time with it, I could proably present some more insight on it. F-tilt works really well I noticed too, and F-air scoops him out of the crouch. Inhale also helps with that as well. Inhale --> run forward ---> Forward air I noticed isn't guaranteed, but it is a really potent option after spitting him out.

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think of ness v. D3?

It seems possible, but it would all depend on how well we fair from the neutral. if we throw him of stage, his DJC is pretty easy to poke in my opinion. you can literally wait on stage for him, then just pick whatever move covers where he is. But that's just speculation. I know he can combo really hard.

Last edited:

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
We give Ness a really really hard time. It's very hard for him to space properly around our disjoint and grab and when they dont have a double jump they're VERY susceptible to down+b kills which are really insane.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
We give Ness a really really hard time. It's very hard for him to space properly around our disjoint and grab and when they dont have a double jump they're VERY susceptible to down+b kills which are really insane.
What are the best moves that tend to help a lot in this MU?

Whirlpool

Fre$h
When I play ness mains on anthers, they usually like to approach with dj bair. I either through out an utilt or a ftilt depending on their approach. When they are waiting for me to approach, I usually waddle toss PR waddledash in and either inhale or fair.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Matchup from :dedede:'s Perspective (+3 has DDD winning)

+3::bowser2:
+2:
+1::marth::sheik::roypm::ike::charizard::olimar::dk2:
0::wolf::falcon::samus2::luigi2::rob::yoshi2::popo::ganondorf::snake:
-1::fox::metaknight::mewtwopm::lucas::mario2::kirby2::pit::wario::zelda::ness2:
-2::sonic::falco::gw::link2::pikachu2:
-3::peach:
:jigglypuff::lucario::ivysaur::squirtle::zerosuitsamus::toonlink:

What do you guys think? Anything wildly inaccurate?

Not my opinion. This is for updating the (outdated) community matchup chart.

OrientalAmazing

Smash Cadet
Yo dude what's up with that falco placement on the mu chart bro? I mean like I get the whole super huge combo food thing but the problem is that you have to realize that the falco matchup is really inconsistant.

On one side of the spectrum falco kicks our ass with his speed, priority, power and SHINE, but on the other side, it's a world of pain for falco. N-air chains, chaingrabs and easy f-tilt gimps as far as the eye can see. I would personally place falco at a 50:50 or a 45:55 D3's favor. But I'm just talking about falco, so I respect your placement on every other char.

Also that shiek placement is just no.

Kneato Kneato

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Yo dude what's up with that falco placement on the mu chart bro? I mean like I get the whole super huge combo food thing but the problem is that you have to realize that the falco matchup is really inconsistant.

On one side of the spectrum falco kicks our *** with his speed, priority, power and SHINE, but on the other side, it's a world of pain for falco. N-air chains, chaingrabs and easy f-tilt gimps as far as the eye can see. I would personally place falco at a 50:50 or a 45:55 D3's favor. But I'm just talking about falco, so I respect your placement on every other char.

Also that shiek placement is just no.

Kneato Kneato
I actually agree with him on Falco . I feel at best it's 45:55 for us Falco is just way to dominant in neutral. Lasers and safe on shield options means getting a grab in the first place is absolute hell for DDD not to mention Waddle camping is completely useless so to get a punish we need to air camp and we lack a lot of safe moves to utilize. Spamming b-air will only get you so far.

OrientalAmazing

Smash Cadet
I actually agree with him on Falco . I feel at best it's 45:55 for us Falco is just way to dominant in neutral. Lasers and safe on shield options means getting a grab in the first place is absolute hell for DDD not to mention Waddle camping is completely useless so to get a punish we need to air camp and we lack a lot of safe moves to utilize. Spamming b-air will only get you so far.
True true, but personally I do very good against Falco but his consistant laser camping does get on my nerves most of the time :p

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Does no one really have a lot of advice or input on the ness MU? I kind of do, if its worth anything.

(My experience comes from playing with Dr. Grin, a local Norcal Ness main.)

50:50 or 45-55 that can be determined on specific stages. (i.e. D3 would do well on stages with decent platforms, and space like battlefield or dreamland. However, on CQC stages like fountain, or flat stages like Smashville Ness gets the benefit of being able to combo D3 exceptionally well. Honestly, he has to get in to do it, but ness has a pretty solid combo/punish game on D3. Most notably off of dash attack, and down throw. The best bet is to try to avoid Ness' approaches, and his PK fire activation by abusing your disjointed moves, using minions, tilts. Ness is also very susceptible to being gimped by throw--> fair/dair off stage. Also, his recovery is very easy to punish if you knock him to a point to where he has to rely on Up-b to recover. Reads with F-Smash, are very good to punish this attempt to recover, as well as down-b, or really anything you want that you can manage to snag the landing on stage. Keep in mind, F-Smash just covers ledge very well in that it can have large knock back with the tip (hammer head) or if the face of the hammer hits someone from below, it will spike them down, so it covers options that ride along an edge in an attempt to snap to it.

Waddle Dashing helps break the pace because all of Ness's approaches from the air rely on DJC typically, so you can reposition yourself to disrupt the pace that the ness is trying to set up. Once you condition the ness to a more ground game kind of pace, then that's where you're more than likely gonna take over the match up. his only way to really reach you is to hope to grab, dash attack, or pray for a smash attach to hit, which isn't even beneficial for ness unless the attack is a combo finisher, or if he hits you with it as a kill move on a read, etc. Once you grab ness, you can hurt him severely with being able to tech chase with down throw, or if you just throw him off the edge, you can intercept his DJ attempt with a fair or even a bair while he is rising up. Then you can choose to edge guard from the stage, or chase him further with more fairs, then recover.

At the end of the day, this is a MU where you want to make sure you take your time, pick your options, and punish relentlessly. The sooner you rid him of a double jump off stage, the easier the MU is because he cant do anything but try to recover. However, ness has strong hitting moves that are just about always guaranteed on you off of down throw, and back throw is still a threating move if he can grab you in the high 100 percent ranges. (Back throw kills at 160 on battlefield on the edge, even with perpendicular DI enacted. More moves you wanna watch out for will be his down tilt, and down air. D-tilt's fast start up make it pretty difficult to grab or CC war with him. Down air just acts like a pseudo falcon stomp, and is pretty much the same, its just smaller.

TL;DR: Don't get grabbed, try to avoid small stages, disrupt his double jump cancel timing. Gimp his jumps off stage, then do D3 things to kill him.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
FWIW, I know DDD has an advantage. Just to what degree is unknown. I've beat all nesses except stereo and he beat me solidly, which made me reconsider what I had previously thought to be a +1.5ish MU

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I still think the Marth MU is overrated.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
FWIW, I know DDD has an advantage. Just to what degree is unknown. I've beat all nesses except stereo and he beat me solidly, which made me reconsider what I had previously thought to be a +1.5ish MU
yeah, I got to see stereo kidd play at Final Boss. He put the hands on Dr. Grin lol, but seeing further mastery of Ness in action kinda makes me wanna see you and him play. was your set recorded at all? I have a hard time wanting to play anyone else besides D3, and I really want a Roy, but its just not happening. seeing something live might help me try to improve my knowledge and theory for the MU.

Top Bottom