• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sourspot dair/fair/bair jab reset ranges

Mentor

Smash Cadet
Turns out sourspot dair/fair/bair jab resets at various percents for various characters. Here's the percent ranges at which they'll work:
Sour D-air-
  • % range is only weight dependent
  • Minimum % is 0 for all characters (assumed after testing 10 characters)
  • Max % is (goes by multiples of 5, you can interpolate to approximate exact %s)
    • 55 if weight is less than 65
    • 60 if weight is less than 77
    • 65 if weight is less than 89
    • 70 if weight is less than 101
    • 75 if weight is less than 113
    • 80 if weight is less than 125
Sour B-air/F-air-
  • Cannot determine % range variables. Based on neither weight nor fall speed (please replay if you see a pattern & I will edit this post with credit given to you).
  • Minimum % is 0 for all characters (see above assumption justification)
  • List of characters & their corresponding maximum % where bair/fair will jab reset:
    • 10%- Ivy, Jiggs
    • 15%- Samus, Sonic
    • 20%- Marth, ROB
    • 25%- Snake, Zard
    • 30%- IC, Tink, Wario
    • 35%- Bowser, Roy
    • 40%- Diddy, Squirtle
    • 45%- ZSS
    • 50%- Ganon
    • 55%- Wolf
How to practice these jab resets:
  1. Go to Training, choose any character
  2. Choose any stage
  3. Choose the "Jump" option for the NPC
  4. Footstool them. They don't tech those.
  5. Fast fall and space the dair/fair/bair so you sourspot & jab reset.
  6. Try grabbing the opponent before they start jumping again. Usually, they'll jump then mid-air jump. You know you did ok if you grab them & don't see the blueish circles indicating a mid-air jump.

Last edited:

Mentor

Smash Cadet
Whoops, forgot to add a nifty way to practice these. Updated to add this.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Did you attempt to buffer options out of these? I don't imagine them being true jab resets for very long.

Mentor

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the feedback Boiko Boiko forgot to test for that. Just tested on Ganon & Squirtle. Sadly yes, sour fair/bair reduces the max % by about 75% if you SDI upwards (ie for Squirtle, 40% falls to 10%, granted you only have a 4 frame window to SDI). Simply DI-ing upwards only reduces the max by about 5% points.

However, SDI-ing sour dair isn't nearly as effective, my guess being due to it's downward angle(?). Ganon's weight is about 110 (so max should be about 75%) & even with 4 SDI inputs (regardless of direction) still gets a jab reset @ 70% w/ sour dair and can't buffer a roll in either direction until 75% (like before, I tested in 5% increments).

So basically the sour dair is the way to go & the sour bair/fair is for if your opponent is @ less than 10% or you're going for style.

Top Bottom