• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] Sakurai Talks Fire Emblem in Smash, End of DLC

Source Gaming has translated a new interview with Smash series creator, Masahiro Sakurai. The translation was led by soma. This interview comes from the Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary Book which was released in Japan a couple of weeks ago.

In it, Sakurai discusses Marth's potential inclusion in Smash 64 and how he's approached Fire Emblem in Smash. There's a lot of interesting tidbits in this interview!

For example, Sakurai discusses his approach to Roy's design in Melee.

Interviewer: The direction the character was going in changed two or three times, and his outfit was also changed three times—or so I’ve heard.

Sakurai: When I first heard a description of Roy’s character, I felt he was a bit more energetic, had a bit more strength inside of him. So, in comparison to Marth, whose sword is stronger at the tip, I made Roy’s sword stronger near the hilt, which I felt made them feel very different. But I played Binding Blade, and he’s really not like that at all!
Interviewer: In Smash, a lot of Fire Emblem characters have “counter” moves. Is there a reason behind that?

Sakurai: That comes directly from the Fire Emblem games. In Fire Emblem, first you have your attack phase, and then the enemy attacks. That pattern repeats itself, so to express the nature of those battles, I gave them counter moves…although Robin doesn’t have one (laughs). Robin doesn’t seem like a counterattack-type character to me.
At the end of the interview, Sakurai confirms that DLC is ending soon. When asked what the future of Smash was, Sakurai answered, "Who knows?"

For more interviews from Sakurai, check out Source Gaming's older translation posts.

Speaking of the end of DLC and the upcoming broadcast, Source Gaming will be hosting the next SourceCast live. For more details, follow the Source Gaming Twitter account.

PushDustIn is hyping responsibly. You can follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

"When I first heard a description of Roy’s character, I felt he was a bit more energetic, had a bit more strength inside of him...
But I played Binding Blade, and he’s really not like that at all!"

Yup. Roy is trash in FE6. No strength at all.
lmaoooo true

Absolute baggage for a huge portion of the game, I always joked with my friends that Roy was bad in Melee to stay true to his own game.

"Of course, the initial tactician class can’t use Nosferatu. But Ike doesn’t use projectile attacks with Ragnell, either, so it’s all part of balancing the game."

Yes he does Sakurai wtf man

I am often under the impression that Sakurai hasn't played the best FE: Radiant Dawn and only followed Ike through his design changing.

Last edited:
lmaoooo true

Absolute baggage for a huge portion of the game, I always joked with my friends that Roy was bad in Melee to stay true to his own game.
It's such a weird situation in a FE game. Putting Roy in a corner and having other units do everything else is a common strategy for most of the game.

If you level him up early, he still won't show much potentional because of how late in the game he promotoes.

Plus, it takes exp from units that could benefit. You could be left with a really bad party.

Roy's crappy late game promotion and being sword-only really bit him in the end. Well, you could always try to make him a better unit by feeding him stat boosters.

"Of course, the initial tactician class can’t use Nosferatu. But Ike doesn’t use projectile attacks with Ragnell, either, so it’s all part of balancing the game."

Ike doesn't have a projectile in Smash. (base moveset)

Last edited:
D
As long as Wolf comes back, I don't care who else we get if it isn't Krystal or Snake.

He's comparing Ike not using a projectile in Smash although he uses one in his game to Robin not using Nosferatu as a tactician while using it in Smash.

Ike does have somewhat of a projectile, in the Tellius games Ragnell had a shockwave effect I believe.

Top Bottom