• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] Sakurai on Corrin, Bayonetta and Value

Source Gaming has provided another translation from Sakurai's bi-weekly Famitsu Column, Think about the Video Games. In this column, Sakurai briefly mentions the last new characters for Smash for Wii U/3DS, Bayonetta and Corrin.

I’ve said this before, but excluding Lucas and Roy, who are returning veterans, every DLC character has unique mechanics and playstyles.
Afterwards, Sakurai discusses how a variety of people can play the game for a long time.

What that means is that the game can wear you out pretty quickly every time you play. If you turn on items and visit a bunch of different stages while playing with a group, things will unfold differently every time, so there aren’t a lot of problems. However, there are a lot of people who enjoy serious matches, and in order to win, they’ll narrow down the number of fighters that can be used, and that diminishes some of the breadth of the game.
Sakurai states that adding characters is what creates new and interesting depth in the game, despite the formula remaining largely unchanged throughout Smash's history.

As a result, the mindset I had when developing this game was that the game’s “rules” are set in stone, but the fighters themselves are very flexible and allow for new, exciting elements. The fighters themselves become the sources of new excitement. That’s why the new fighters can do things the others cannot, to bring to life a number of battles that did not previously exist.
Sakurai did confirm that development for Smash for Wii U/3DS was finished.

For the full column, head over to Source Gaming.

...and check out their Patreon too! The Famitsu Columns do cost money, and if you want to support these translations, then please consider donating.

Follow PushDustIn on Twitter! Do it!

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

So it looks like the meta can now finally evolve untouched.

Time to see how far we can push this game, how exciting!

Last edited:
This won't be the last patch. Over time they will still make small tweaks including any bugs, especially if players bring it to their attention. Saying development is over only means no new characters, and nothing active on their end to see how the game is developing and which characters are ruling the meta. They will still take a passive role.

Last edited:
lolNo.

SmashDev being over means overall not doing anything else with it ever.
They're even going for the extended vacation.
You guys better suck it up, because there's no patch coming soon. And there never will be.

Anyone find his jab at serious players "narrowing down the number of fighters to use" a little off-putting? Is he blaming us for having unviable characters be nonexistent in tournaments??? seriously?

Great article from Sakurai. However I'm still a little disappointed that it looks like Sheik will continue to dominate and Samus will continue to stink. :urg:

Great column as always! It's been a great ride to the end!

Rest up Sakurai! you earned it!

Glitches are bound to occur in every game no matter how heavily patched out they get, there is always gonna be some strange occurrence with so many factors into play with Smash and infinite and such bound to be found eventually. What we have now is infinitely better than Brawl in terms of the technicalities and we should be appreciative of it.

Stuff like Peach's infinite on Sheik, Corrin's infinite grab on ZSS on the ledge, while those things I know people are screaming to get patched, at the same time development is done at long last. With it having been in development since 2012, released in 2014, and DLC has extended development up to the release of Corrin and Bayonetta, the developers had their work cut out for them.

We gotta understand that some things gotta end eventually. Patching something like Peach so that the infinite no longer works on Sheik could inadvertently have an effect on other characters where new things like that would arise. Lets just stop. Unless it's game breaking, there is no reason for them to continue catering to everyone's every need and patching the game for us spoiled butts to only be hungry for more.

Nobody is getting any more buffs or nerfs; this is how the game is now, thank god. You're delusional if you believe Jigglypuff is getting anything substantial if he/she hasn't received zip since launch. Accept that your character is bad or mediocre and decide what you want to do from there. We can finally let the meta evolve, and it's exciting. Lets see how far we can push this game.

lolNo.

SmashDev being over means overall not doing anything else with it ever.
They're even going for the extended vacation.
You guys better suck it up, because there's no patch coming soon. And there never will be.
I know you are still mad, but there is always a small chance even if minuscule.

Anyone find his jab at serious players "narrowing down the number of fighters to use" a little off-putting? Is he blaming us for having unviable characters be nonexistent in tournaments??? seriously?
Nah, it's nothing to do with tournaments, even if it does happen to some people in tournaments. It's much broader than that, it's just what a lot of people do when they want to win. They'll only pick a character or gameplay style that is more likely or gaurunteed to win (or at least easier to play).

This is something that happens in every game not just smash bros, unless the game is too simple to allow such choices. Just look at literally any other competitive game, and people will do these things.

No matter what game you play you are literally just cutting off chunks off of the game for what it has to offer. Of course, it may not be a problem if you like watching the same meta over and over again.

DLC comes to a close, but that doesn't necessarily mean balance patches can't still happen. Sakurai may be on to his next project (keep in mind, this article was probably finalized at least a week ago and possibly longer), but there's reason to believe there could still be some team members over at Namco-Bandai who will still release patches every now and then. Would especially hold true if that NX port rumor holds any water.

Last edited:
Of course, people still tell me “the last game was better”—especially when they’re talking about a game they’ve built into muscle memory over many years.
I laughed when I read this. Sakurai hit the nail on the head right here.

Also I really don't think Sakurai talking about how people who play the game seriously narrow down the roster was meant in a bad way. He was just stating that's how some people play the game, and that's perfectly fine. Especially when the column concludes with this.
I’m extremely grateful to see Smash is enjoyed by so many people.

This is the same man who made this game the most defensive thing ever at the start and then wondered why tournament players used only the safest moves.

Last edited:
That's not a glitch, that's it's intended design.
You know what I was referring to, don't be a wise guy. The glitch that puts the opponent into their idle state while in midair and makes them unable to do anything until they either land on the ground or get hit again.

You sure are quick to play the victim. Was it honestly that hard to interpret the statement as "serious players will only use a small handful of established characters to win, which is quite literally a spoken assessment of what I've witnessed, which tires the game out faster in my opinion" and not "holy **** you nerds don't play ganon w/ items on all the time you aren't playing the game right."

"Unviable" characters are nonexistent because there's money on the line and nobody wants to lose. There's nothing stopping anybody from switching to low tiers for the fun of it, on stream, in tourney, but it doesn't happen because that's how we enjoy the game.

The director saying that only using high tiers removes some of the breadth from the game isn't a ****ing victimizing statement.

So it looks like the meta can now finally evolve untouched.

Time to see how far we can push this game, how exciting!
Of course not. They have yet to fix Witch Time! It's broken and it needs a nerf.

Sakurai said:
I’ve said this before, but excluding Lucas and Roy, who are returning veterans, every DLC character has unique mechanics and playstyles.
And Mewtwo is...?

I think Sakurai hates that Melee has turned into what it has. Since Melee was good, now every Smash game has to be 1v1, no items, even though it shouldn't, though one has to wonder why they even put For Glory and Omega stages in the game.

There was a kind of optimism in this article that tells me he'll be back for Smash 5.

Of course not. They have yet to fix Witch Time! It's broken and it needs a nerf.
Witch Time is designed as the ultimate punishment counter, it's your fault for running headlong into it. just like any other counter, however, it can be baited... and unlike most counters, it stales upon use regardless of whether or not it's triggered, and they need to wait a few moments if they want to use it at full effect again.

Thanks for everything, Smash 4 dev team and Sakurai! Because of all of these buffs, now I can play with my mains in peace! It truly was a fun and wild ride. Please enjoy your vacation, you deserve it!

Last edited:
af8.jpg
sakurai, take your well deserved vacation, you grinded work hard enough as it is

...and for those who joined etika on the ball bet...

Attachments

Last edited:
What that means is that the game can wear you out pretty quickly every time you play. If you turn on items and visit a bunch of different stages while playing with a group, things will unfold differently every time, so there aren’t a lot of problems. However, there are a lot of people who enjoy serious matches, and in order to win, they’ll narrow down the number of fighters that can be used, and that diminishes some of the breadth of the game.
I wish he would stop saying things like this. Me and all my friends who played Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl back in the day knew nothing about a competitive scene. Yet we got quickly bored of items and stages where you spend more time fighting the stage than fighting the other players. People will play the game how they want. Quit making jabs at them. If people only played games the way they were designed to be played, the whole game industry would be a lot more boring.

And I really don't think anyone's taking his words out of context. He continues with this in the full interview.

Unless it's game breaking, there is no reason for them to continue catering to everyone's every need and patching the game for us spoiled butts to only be hungry for more.
I think controlling 8 characters with an Amiibo exploit and crashing the game with Olimar would count as game breaking.

I wish he would stop saying things like this. Me and all my friends who played Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl back in the day knew nothing about a competitive scene. Yet we got quickly bored of items and stages where you spend more time fighting the stage than fighting the other players. People will play the game how they want. Quit making jabs at them. If people only played games the way they were designed to be played, the whole game industry would be a lot more boring.

And I really don't think anyone's taking his words out of context. He continues with this in the full interview.
Sakurai says this, and yet, here we have games with the same meta for YEARS and players who've played it for the same amount of years. People don't tend to enjoy RNG, something tells me he's a gambler and is trying to put those aspects into his games.

Witch Time is designed as the ultimate punishment counter, it's your fault for running headlong into it. just like any other counter, however, it can be baited... and unlike most counters, it stales upon use regardless of whether or not it's triggered, and they need to wait a few moments if they want to use it at full effect again.
Sounds good on paper
Still pretty broken in practice.

Top Bottom