• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] Sakurai Discusses Fan Misconceptions

Masahiro Sakurai published his 505th Think About Video Games column in Famitsu today. He took a moment to discuss fans overreacting and even addressed some misconceptions within Smash. Source Gaming has the full column translated, but here are some select quotes.

Sakurai starts off the column by stating:

I suppose this cannot be helped, as people are only able to make judgments based on what they see and know for themselves. But on the internet, what people see can be rather limited, especially if they only look at things that interest them. I advise everyone not to get too heated up over every little thing they read.
After that warning he addresses the following misconceptions: Why are characters from his games seemingly overrepresented on the boxart, why certain characters are strong, why the Kirby series doesn't have post-Sakurai representation, and the number of Fire Emblem characters. Masahiro Sakurai revealed that there was a Kirby's Epic Yarn stage planned, but with the introduction of Wooly World, he decided to add The Great Cave Offensive as a stage instead.

Sakurai addressed these complaints with the following,
As you see, people have often suspected me of putting in extra effort in certain areas. Do recall, however, that I do not approach Smash as a fan. Regardless of who wins or loses, the outcome is the same as far as I’m concerned since I work on all of them. The opportunity to create all these characters is taxing yet extremely fortunate as well.
The rest of the column can be read here. Sakurai also discusses fan interactions, and reveals two stages that were considered. It's well worth the read!

If you would like to support Source Gaming, please consider donating to their Patreon.

PushDustIn and the SG Team tries to clean up misconceptions in Smash. Follow them on Twitter for Daily Smash Trivia!

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Soooo...cutting an Epic Yarn stage and replacing it with a Super Star on, even though Ultra was older than Return to Dreamland is supposed to convince people Sakurai doesn't mind modern Kirby stuff? "I want to focus on newer games" my foot

Soooo...cutting an Epic Yarn stage and replacing it with a Super Star on, even though Ultra was older than Return to Dreamland is supposed to convince people Sakurai doesn't mind modern Kirby stuff? "I want to focus on newer games" my foot
No, the Epic Yarn stage was replaced by the Yoshi's Woolly World stage. The Great Cave Offensive was then added because of that.

No, the Epic Yarn stage was replaced by the Yoshi's Woolly World stage. The Great Cave Offensive was then added because of that.
But if you want people to know you don't hate modern Kirby, why use a Kirby stage from the 90's instead of a newer game, like Sakurai said he'd focus on?

A great read. I especially like this paragraph:
I’ve heard the opinion that if I don’t correct every misconception or misunderstanding, it will negatively impact some people’s enjoyment of the game. Normally, however, I don’t address these issues whatsoever. I think that letting people think what they want is the only feasible way. I can comment on every single one of these problems, or defend myself in a column or on Twitter, but people who don’t want to listen, won’t. I don’t think it feels good to listen to a creator constantly explain themselves either. In the end, all that remains is what they create.

Interesting to know about the Epic Yarn and Mario Land stages though. Don't know what caused the latter to be replaced in the end, but the first one really shows just how much circumstances surrounding other games can affect the development of Smash. I imagine if we'd heard about Star Fox Zero a year or two before we did, Wolf might now be sitting on the character select screen.

But if you want people to know you don't hate modern Kirby, why use a Kirby stage from the 90's instead of a newer game, like Sakurai said he'd focus on?
I kinda take it that they found an opportunity to do a more unique way to do 8-Player Smash with GCO due the Danger Zones and went with it after the compromises with the stages than what Return To Dreamland-stage would have done (possibly just being a regular Kirby-stage - more annoyance from the fans if it was set on Cookie Country).

Basically Sakurai didn't wanna just stop there with a plain stage addition when changing one for Kirby, especially if you look at the whole picture of Smash that exists out of what fandoms perceive in it.

I kinda take it that they found an opportunity to do a more unique way to do 8-Player Smash with GCO due the Danger Zones and went with it after the compromises with the stages than what Return To Dreamland-stage would have done (possibly just being a regular Kirby-stage - more annoyance from the fans if it was set on Cookie Country).

Basically Sakurai didn't wanna just stop there with a plain stage addition when changing one for Kirby, especially if you look at the whole picture of Smash that exists out of what fandoms perceive in it.
It's bull**** though as Danger Zones only work on that stage and nobody likes playing it. Hell, do Another Dimension, or the Lor Starcutter itself then! Sakurai wanted to prove he doesn't hate modern Kirby and accidentally 'confirmed' that

It's bull**** though as Danger Zones only work on that stage and nobody likes playing it.
But doesn't Smash-games encompass a WIDE playerbase, not just casual-competitive to more competitive players? Some people might like playing on GCO incase they enjoy the change of gameplay or new ways to KO. Even then, it's great to have options anyway.

Hell, do Another Dimension, or the Lor Starcutter itself then! Sakurai wanted to prove he doesn't hate modern Kirby and accidentally 'confirmed' that
So turning it to Another Dimension would make it all right? Or if more accurately, anything from Modern Kirby-games just as long as the fans will shut up, in expense of being limited with the stage ideas given? Doesn't that sound kind of ridiculous to you?

Trying to already balance the stage representation in both games must had been difficult already if it almost was that Kirby would have had no stage in 3DS if Mario Land (a possible 5th Mario-stage) was kept.

Anyway, it's kind of clear that what fans usually think how Smash will be isn't what it possibly needs the best according to the devs themselves. The difference being that they, developing the game, are able to find new opportunities as they develop it - and are willing to take step forward to pursue such things to make their games better or innovative.

Still, this is just my theory on the whole thing, but again, I think you kind of drove in close that people say whatever they think has to be said even if they have little going on behind the scenes.

Interesting to see his explanations on those but I kind of wish Mr. Sakurai addressed why Bandana Dee doesn't have a trophy, because it's a really hard one to explain without assuming bias. Was he blocked for business reasons, was it a personal reason, did the thought just simply never occur to him, or was it something entirely different? I think that'd be interesting to hear.

Last edited:
Also these are my thoughts on the matter

Feel pretty bad for being rather critical of Sakurai in the past. I mean there's a lot of things that I think should have needed to be done but for people to blast the guy for things that are beyond his control must be frustrating for the guy and I do feel for him. Nintendo tells him to put a 6th FE character in the game and Sakurai has to oblige and take all the blame and disdain from fans because of it even when he does agree about FE being over represented. I'm guilty of this myself with my anger I had over the inclusion of said character and I jumped to the conclusion that the character's inclusion was all Sakurai's doing and his love for the series.

Glad he made this article because it sheds a lot of light in to the things that people might think that aren't true and made me respect Sakurai for the things he gets blasted for that's out of his power.
Sucks because whenever there's a questionable decision that's made he's always the one to take the blame and is flamed for doing it when some decisions are done by Nintendo.

I agree there are a lot of Fire Emblem characters, but the decision to include so many was strategic.
Point taken, but I wish he would have elaborated on that a bit more.

Point taken, but I wish he would have elaborated on that a bit more.
I think it just means there's a thought process behind the inclusions that make them logical choices, despite overrepresentation. I'm willing to bet it's also part due to circumstances, I doubt it was all planned out from the start. This is how I personally see it, based on what we've seen and read in articles:

Marth, Ike and Robin as the base. It's fairly obvious, I think. Marth is the major series icon, Ike because he was both popular in Brawl among players and Sakurai wanted to limit character cuts, and Robin because of how utterly vital Awakening has proven to Fire Emblem and its survival, and Sakurai finding himself unable to make something appealing of Chrom.

Lucina was a later-in-development addition that they added, basically because they could and she was easy to implement. Nothing would have to be compromised for her inclusion, essentially making her a bonus. Surely people couldn't complain about that. ...Right? Yeah, I'm not kidding anyone.

There was apparently serious demand for Roy (or at least Sakurai claims as much), making him an obvious choice for a Melee character to bring back, if the point was to bring back a Melee character, beyond the already announced Mewtwo.

And Corrin appears to be largely the result of Nintendo seeking to use Smash as promotional material for a game. And Fire Emblem Fates just so happened ideal for taking advantage of this.

Of course, this is just my estimation of things and I'm not touching any conspiracy theories, so who really knows? Just trying to make the best sense of it I can.

Last edited:
But doesn't Smash-games encompass a WIDE playerbase, not just casual-competitive to more competitive players? Some people might like playing on GCO incase they enjoy the change of gameplay or new ways to KO. Even then, it's great to have options anyway.

So turning it to Another Dimension would make it all right? Or if more accurately, anything from Modern Kirby-games just as long as the fans will shut up, in expense of being limited with the stage ideas given? Doesn't that sound kind of ridiculous to you?

Trying to already balance the stage representation in both games must had been difficult already if it almost was that Kirby would have had no stage in 3DS if Mario Land (a possible 5th Mario-stage) was kept.

Anyway, it's kind of clear that what fans usually think how Smash will be isn't what it possibly needs the best according to the devs themselves. The difference being that they, developing the game, are able to find new opportunities as they develop it - and are willing to take step forward to pursue such things to make their games better or innovative.

Still, this is just my theory on the whole thing, but again, I think you kind of drove in close that people say whatever they think has to be said even if they have little going on behind the scenes.
Yay, putting words in my mouth! The I have casual as **** friends who play 8 player Smash all the time, GCO is the only stage they refuse to play because of the camera zooming out obnoxiously all the time. And with Another Dimension I meant make that a stage instead of GCO, not reskin it! Hell, if you need an instakill stage hazard, have Sphere Doomers try to eat you or something. The reason I said this is because Sakurai said he wanted to focus on newer games. But he chose a Kirby stage that's about 20 years old now when there was more than enough material he could have worked with. Hell, Dangerous Dinner would have been good if lava was a necessity. If Other M content is shoved down everyone's throats because 'muh new game' then GCO has no reason to exist

EDIT: I realize I may have had poor wording with my Another Dimension possiblity on my last post

Last edited:
A great read. I especially like this paragraph:
I’ve heard the opinion that if I don’t correct every misconception or misunderstanding, it will negatively impact some people’s enjoyment of the game. Normally, however, I don’t address these issues whatsoever. I think that letting people think what they want is the only feasible way. I can comment on every single one of these problems, or defend myself in a column or on Twitter, but people who don’t want to listen, won’t. I don’t think it feels good to listen to a creator constantly explain themselves either. In the end, all that remains is what they create.

Interesting to know about the Epic Yarn and Mario Land stages though. Don't know what caused the latter to be replaced in the end, but the first one really shows just how much circumstances surrounding other games can affect the development of Smash. I imagine if we'd heard about Star Fox Zero a year or two before we did, Wolf might now be sitting on the character select screen.
Honestly I don't see why he thinks that. When the informations out there, people tend to drop the issue. People aren't up in arms about the Ice Climbers still because he explained that, but Wolf on the other hand is still a source of a ton of vitriol because he hasn't even addressed the cut. Sometimes putting it all out there is the best way to go, if fans don't respond well, so be it, they more then likely weren't going to anyway, but at least you cleared up any misconceptions and gave people legitimate information to allow them to form their own fully realized opinions. Making vague statements and leaving information on the table is of course going to look suspect to a fanbase that overanalyzes everything.

Last edited:
Nintendo was the one behind the overrepresentation. Sakurai's just doing what he's told.
I said once that Sakurai more than likely isn't the one behind all the decisions, and people got mad on the Wolf boards. You can see it in some of the statements, the Geno/Cloud thing, the Corrin and too many FE characters thing, a lot of things he says makes it sound like he's not always the one making the calls, but far be it from me to say something like that apparently.
I'm still not happy with a lot of choices, but it's not as though Sakurai's putting **** together in the roster maker or anything, he's gotta satisfy the people writing the checks.

Kirby's Final Smash is Ultra Sword, so I don't think he's just inherently biased against modern Kirby.

GCO makes more sense as GCO then an RtDL location, being that the stage is supposed to be a giant cave area. There's Halacandra from RtDL but we already had a dark Kirby stage with the Halberd from Brawl, so you could say this is more accurate representation.

Threre's plenty of people who like GCO. Just because your friends don't like it doesn't mean everybody hates it.

Honestly I don't see why he thinks that. When the informations out there, people tend to drop the issue. People aren't up in arms about the Ice Climbers still because he explained that, but Wolf on the other hand is still a source of a ton of vitriol because he hasn't even addressed the cut. Sometimes putting it all out there is the best way to go, if fans don't respond well, so be it, they more than likely weren't going to anyway, but at least you cleared up any misconceptions and gave people legitimate information to allow them to form their own fully realized opinions. Making vague statements and leaving information on the table is of course going to look suspect to a fanbase that overanalyzes everything.
No... People are still upset that the ICs got cut. He told us in advance that they weren't likely and people are still irrational about it.

No... People are still upset that the ICs got cut. He told us in advance that they weren't likely and people are still irrational about it.
To be fair though these people are more upset by circumstances leading to IC's being cut rather than being upset by Sakurai.

I think it just means there's a thought process behind the inclusions that make them logical choices, despite overrepresentation. I'm willing to bet it's also part due to circumstances, I doubt it was all planned out from the start. This is how I personally see it, based on what we've seen and read in articles:

Marth, Ike and Robin as the base. It's fairly obvious, I think. Marth is the major series icon, Ike because he was both popular in Brawl among players and Sakurai wanted to limit character cuts, and Robin because of how utterly vital Awakening has proven to Fire Emblem and its survival, and Sakurai finding himself unable to make something appealing of Chrom.

Lucina was a later-in-development addition that they added, basically because they could and she was easy to implement. Nothing would have to be compromised for her inclusion, essentially making her a bonus. Surely people couldn't complain about that. ...Right? Yeah, I'm not kidding anyone.

There was apparently serious demand for Roy (or at least Sakurai claims as much), making him an obvious choice for a Melee character to bring back, if the point was to bring back a Melee character, beyond the already announced Mewtwo.

And Corrin appears to be largely the result of Nintendo seeking to use Smash as promotional material for a game. And Fire Emblem Fates just so happened ideal for taking advantage of this.

Of course, this is just my estimation of things and I'm not touching any conspiracy theories, so who really knows? Just trying to make the best sense of it I can.
This makes sense. Although it seems :4corrin: was the only Nintendo DLC character specifically advocated by Nintendo, whereas :4mewtwo:,:4lucas: and:4feroy: were purely Sakurai's choices in respond to fan-demand, meaning if he wanted to, he could have easily left out Roy and bought in any other potential semi-clone character as unlike Corrin, Roy was never advocated by Nintendo.

Kirby's Final Smash is Ultra Sword, so I don't think he's just inherently biased against modern Kirby.

GCO makes more sense as GCO then an RtDL location, being that the stage is supposed to be a giant cave area. There's Halacandra from RtDL but we already had a dark Kirby stage with the Halberd from Brawl, so you could say this is more accurate representation.

Threre's plenty of people who like GCO. Just because your friends don't like it doesn't mean everybody hates it.

People are upset they're gone, but there's no ill will towards Sakurai. Two different things.

I'm not saying he IS. I'm saying he's not doing a good job proving the people who DO say so wrong. Cave shmave, there's no ****ing way the 'correct representation of unique stages' is a thing judging by DK and Metroid's stages. The Halberd isn't a 'dark' stage, it's an air fleet, meaning your argument is more bull**** than what comes out of the actual bulls.
'There's plenty of people who like GCO' But there're only a fraction of the people who played it. Look at everyone who has an opinion on the stage. The majority will tell you it sucks

I'm not saying he IS. I'm saying he's not doing a good job proving the people who DO say so wrong. Cave shmave, there's no ****ing way the 'correct representation of unique stages' is a thing judging by DK and Metroid's stages. The Halberd isn't a 'dark' stage, it's an air fleet, meaning your argument is more bull**** than what comes out of the actual bulls.
'There's plenty of people who like GCO' But there're only a fraction of the people who played it. Look at everyone who has an opinion on the stage. The majority will tell you it sucks
Why do we need to bend over backwards because people make conspiracy theorists again?

The majority of Metroid's locations are dark underground areas with lava or acid in at least one part of the area, or poorly lit research laboratories. Usually when we do see the sky it's night, even. Especially with DKCTF there's more jungle or foresty areas then any other area type. Kirby meanwhile is usually bright, sunshiny plains, forests, caves and beaches, with the Halberd often being a plot important location. Metroid's plot important locations within the games are, again, caves and research laboratories. DK's plot important locations are his house and the fat animal/tiki's house.

Nope, most people I know like it as a FFA stage. My personal experience matters more then yours, kehehe.

Why do we need to bend over backwards because people make conspiracy theorists again?

The majority of Metroid's locations are dark underground areas with lava or acid in at least one part of the area, or poorly lit research laboratories. Usually when we do see the sky it's night, even. Especially with DKCTF there's more jungle or foresty areas then any other area type. Kirby meanwhile is usually bright, sunshiny plains, forests, caves and beaches, with the Halberd often being a plot important location. Metroid's plot important locations within the games are, again, caves and research laboratories. DK's plot important locations are his house and the fat animal/tiki's house.

Nope, most people I know like it as a FFA stage. My personal experience matters more then yours, kehehe.
Except Nou, we only have 1 non-lava Metroid stage in Smash history and it was removed, OOPS! DK HAS more than jungle areas, so if you want diversity, do the factory levels, or even the minecart stages that DKC was infamous for! For a good representation of Kirby's stages, you don't NEED caves, you don't NEED GCO. Hell, the scrapped Epic Yarn stage didn't NEED to be scrapped because Woolley World exists, as both games have different styles.

Also, my opinion is better than yours because I'm a lady, and woman are always right. Teehee

Except Nou, we only have 1 non-lava Metroid stage in Smash history and it was removed, OOPS! DK HAS more than jungle areas, so if you want diversity, do the factory levels, or even the minecart stages that DKC was infamous for! For a good representation of Kirby's stages, you don't NEED caves, you don't NEED GCO. Hell, the scrapped Epic Yarn stage didn't NEED to be scrapped because Woolley World exists, as both games have different styles.

Also, my opinion is better than yours because I'm a lady, and woman are always right. Teehee
The generic research lab? It got cut for one with more plot importance and lava.

Kirby got GCO because they wanted a big 8-player stage, and they went with it over something from RtDL because it was a normal Kirby cave, and a big one at that.

A purely minecart stage wouldn't really work in Smash, and there weren't any minecarts in DKC2 or 3, just roller coasters and bobsleds. DKCTF content wasn't in the cards because it came out too late. There's way more trees then mines in DK.

No, two yarn stages is redundant. As would be two gameboy stages.

It just goes to show how much thought and deliberation goes on behind the scenes. It may be easy and feel cathartic to act like whether a character got in or not or how much attention a franchise was given was as simple as how much Sakurai liked them, but the truth is a lot more complicated.

And when you try to simplify a complicated situation, someone always ends up worse off for it.

Last edited:
The generic research lab? It got cut for one with more plot importance and lava.

Kirby got GCO because they wanted a big 8-player stage, and they went with it over something from RtDL because it was a normal Kirby cave, and a big one at that.

A purely minecart stage wouldn't really work in Smash, and there weren't any minecarts in DKC2 or 3, just roller coasters and bobsleds. DKCTF content wasn't in the cards because it came out too late. There's way more trees then mines in DK.

No, two yarn stages is redundant. As would be two gameboy stages.
Frigate Orpheon kickstarts the plot, and considering Coliseum is a stage...Plot doesn't matter
GCO isn't a normal cave
DK has minecarts in CAVES.
Considering we have multiple levels that feel similar in the game AND the fact you're notorious for being bad at debates, I feel like you should just stop as you aren't convincing me

It's really tells much of Sakurai's personal, if he thinks accusation of his bias extends mostly to the ****ing boxart.

Now Sakurai just needs to explain why:

Western centric franchises like DK and Metroid got the shaft

They didn't use a Return to Dreamland stage instead of the GCO, another Superstar stage, (who even liked it in Superstar) Also ignoring the fact that DK is more famous for having minecarts.

Zelda is still trash even after play testing

Dark Pit wasn't allowed to use the Three Sacred Treasures because of canon yet they removed Wario's shoulder barge and made Ridley a masochist because they didn't want to be tied down to canon

Sakurai thought that adding yet ANOTHER Sakurai created Kirby stage would not fuel the "Sakurai bias" claim.

He spoiled several game plots (Off the top of my head: Corrin's chainsaw sword, MUCH of Xenoblade's, Awakening barring Lucina) But still threw a fit when youtubers posted Subspace Emissary scenes from their rightfully owned copy of Brawl that they bought on/pass its release date.

Frigate Orpheon kickstarts the plot, and considering Coliseum is a stage...Plot doesn't matter
GCO isn't a normal cave
DK has minecarts in CAVES.
Considering we have multiple levels that feel similar in the game AND the fact you're notorious for being bad at debates, I feel like you should just stop as you aren't convincing me
The pirate frigate isn't a special location, as nothing significant happens there. Samus gets powered down (which is something most Metroid games skip anyway) and she chases Ridley there after her fight with Mother Brain and leaves, still chasing Ridley. It's as important as DK's jungles are just because it's the first area.

DK has mine carts everywhere, not just caves. Most of them in DKCR weren't even in caves.

"You suck at arguing" is not an argument.

It's really tells much of Sakurai's personal, if he thinks accusation of his bias extends mostly to the ****ing boxart.

Now Sakurai just needs to explain why:

Western centric franchises like DK and Metroid got the shaft

They didn't use a Return to Dreamland stage instead of the GCO, another Superstar stage, (who even liked it in Superstar) Also ignoring the fact that DK is more famous for having minecarts.

Zelda is still trash even after play testing

Dark Pit wasn't allowed to use the Three Sacred Treasures because of canon yet they removed Wario's shoulder barge and made Ridley a masochist because they didn't want to be tied down to canon

Sakurai thought that adding yet ANOTHER Sakurai created Kirby stage would not fuel the "Sakurai bias" claim.

He spoiled several game plots (Off the top of my head: Corrin's chainsaw sword, MUCH of Xenoblade's, Awakening barring Lucina) But still threw a fit when youtubers posted Subspace Emissary scenes from their rightfully owned copy of Brawl that they bought on/pass its release date.
Because Metroid never did that well to begin with and the most relevant DK character they could of included was Cranky Kong.

Because they wanted a big stage for eight players and GCO was from the equivalent of OoT to Kirby. It wasn't a minecart stage, just a giant stage with the occasional minecart spawn.

And Sheik and ZSS being the best for forever and Diddy realistically being number one now doesn't mean anything...

Dark Pit was promoted from costume for that reason, and was strictly inferior to Pit for the majority of the game's life so far. Wario lost the shoulder bash for balance and they wanted Ridley to be an interesting stage gimmick.

No, he just didn't give a ****.

He spoiled them with permission of the creators.

Top Bottom