• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sound Effects Guide - Now Stop Hassling me.

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
You will need/use:
SmashBox v0.57 (it can be done without it, but for the sake of simplicity its going to be used) ~ http://www.mediafire.com/?3mwmnjcqdll .

A clean smashbros_sound.brsar.

Hex Workshop (I will be using this for the tutorial, you can use a different one, but for it to be understood better, use Hex Workshop the first time), you should also hae the concept of replacing (just delete the said highlighted area and copy and paste the told hex in).

sndconv.exe (wii sdk file).

Some sounds you want in brawl.

Notepad/Wordpad (i like Notepad better).

A sound editting program (Goldwave is ok).

Setup:
Create a folder on your C: drive named "brawlsound" (it goes without saying that the " aren't included). In that folder, put in: sndconv.exe, SmashBox v0.57, smashbros_sound.brsar and your sounds you want in brawl.

Guide:
1. Open smashbox. In there open smashbros_sound.brsar. Navigate to the sound group (its the sounds of a specific thing all grouped up) you want to edit (Groups > snd_group_*thing*_*nameofthing*).

2. In there you will find another set of groups (can be one), this usually defines what sounds are where (for characters, misc sounds and voices will be split up). When you go into one of these sound groups, you will fine another 2 subgroups, Sounds and Waves. Without going into much detail, the group "Sounds" are kind of like header files, "Waves" are like the sound itself. Right now all we want to do is find our sound we want to replace, so go into Waves and listen to each sound until you find one you want to swap.

3. Once you've found your sound (remember the number after the Wave file, Wave**), export it and check its details (frequency, length, save type, you know all that jazz. This step can be done in smashbox, for the sake of making everything easier, just do it in Goldwave). Check to see if your new sound and your exported one match, if they don't, just tinker with your new sound until they do (if the sound you want to replace it with is longer, either find a different sound, or just shorten it by whatever means). Once you are ready to put your new sound in, make a duplicate of it and rename to "newsound.wav".

4. Make a new .txt file in your "brawlsound" folder and in it put:

PATH C:\brawlsound\

BEGIN NEWSOUND
FILE newsound.wav
SAMPLERATE *the samplerate of your new sound*
OUTPUT ADPCM
END

And save it as "newsound.txt".

5. Open command prompt (Run > cmd) and navigate to your brawlsound folder (type "cd c:\brawlsound\" and hit enter). Now type "sndconv.exe newsound.txt" and hit enter. Sndconv.exe should have given you: newsound.spt, newsound.spd and newsound.h.

6. Now go back to smashbox and click on the main group you where in (snd_group_***_***). Make a new .txt file named "info.txt" and in it jot down the values of both Data1Offset, Data1Length, Data2Offset, Data2Length. Also find out the value of Data1Offset and Data1Length added together and label it "Data1OffsetLength", do the same for Data2Offset and Data2Length and name it "Data2OffsetLength". If you want, you can also jot down the Wave** number i told you to remember earlier, but if you can remember it that's fine.

7. Open smashbros_sound.brsar in Hex Workshop. Press ctrl+G, make sure "Hex" is selected, check "Beginning of File" and in the Offset slot, put your Data2Offset in there and hit "Go". You should be somewhere mid file. Now press ctrl+G again and this time in the offset box, put your Data2OffsetLength in and check "Current Position", then hit "Go". Highlight the area between your first position and your current position and "right click > cut". "File > New" and paste your cut in there, save it as "WaveGroup.rwsd".

8. Press ctrl+G, make sure "Hex" is selected, check "Beginning of File" and in the Offset slot, put your Data1Offset in there and hit "Go". You should be somewhere mid file (you should be at the magic header RWSD, RaWSounD). Now press ctrl+G again and this time in the offset box, put your Data1OffsetLength in and check "Current Position", then hit "Go". Highlight the area between your RWSD and your current position and "right click > cut". "File > New" and paste your cut in there, save it as "SoundGroup.rwsd".

9. Go back to smashbox, click on the second group you went in to find your sound (0x***). Now jot down all the Data*Length/Offsets (to differentiate them, when labeling in your .txt file, add a 0x before Data****). Also write down the 0xData*OffsetLength's. Now repeate the principal of step 7 and 8 with the new 0xData*Offsets and OffsetLength's, instead of "WaveGroup.rwsd" save as "Waves.spd" and "SoundGroup.rwsd" as "Sounds.spt".

10. Now this is where your actually replacing the sounds, ill start with the easier part of it. Go to smashbox and go to the Wave** sound you chose to replace, look at its "DataOffset", write this value down labeled as "WaveOffset". Now look at the Wave** after it and its DataOffset, write that vlue down as "WaveOffsetLength".

11. Open Waves.spd in Hex Workshop. Ctrl+G, check "Beggining of File" and for the offset, use the WaveOffset. Ctrl+G again, and this time use the WaveOffsetLength as the offset. Replace the space between your first position and your current position with "newsound.spd". If the newsound.spd was smaller than what you deleted, fill the end of the newsound.spd with 0's until it is the original size.

12. Open Sounds.spt in Hexworkshop. Press ctrl+F, make sure the type is "Hex Values", check "Find All Instances" and for the value, put in "00000001000000000000", hit "Ok". A few results should come up (they appear on the bottom right). Add 1 to your Wave** number and count down that many times on your results. Once you are on the right adress, select the start of that result and go down 4E bytes (78 in decimal) and replace that with "newsound.spt".

13. Now all the replacing is done, time to repack the file. Go to your SoundGroup.rwsd, ctrl+G, check "Beginning of File" and use the value of 0xData1Offset and paste in your Sounds.spt. Do the same for WaveGroup.rwsd and Wave.spd (instead of 0xData1Offset use 0xData2Offset).

14. Now go to smashbros_sounds.brsar and you guessed it, ctrl+G, check "Beginning of File" and use Data1Offset as the offset. In here Paste SoundGroup.rwsd. Do the same but use Data2Offset this time and paste in WaveGroup.rwsd.

15. Save.

16. Test in smashbox.

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Im gonna finish the repacking part, maybe fix up the guide a little and leave it for a while. Eventually i might wright a advanced section so you can replace multiple sounds a little faster, make it easier on the eyes and maybe some pics, but not today, you only get repacking for today.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
It's finally out! I'm gonna use this when I tinker with sounds! Thanks!

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
"Finally" doesn't even cut it, but great to see it out now. I'll be sure to mess with this in the morning. :3

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well you could try 4.0, but this is really only for people who use USBs or burn DVDs to play Brawl. It can't really be used with a sd loader yet. Sorry pal. T_T

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Dont' worry. At this rate, it's just matter of some little time. I'll wait for it, too! ;D

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Well you could try 4.0, but this is really only for people who use USBs or burn DVDs to play Brawl. It can't really be used with a sd loader yet. Sorry pal. T_T
Wait, the file replacement code will work if you use a burnt DVD?

Meaning I can put textures and PSAs and stuff on a DVD, burn it, and then have them work in Brawl?

Wait, then how would I get the Wii to read my Brawl disc?

Would I have to copy all the stuff on the Brawl disc onto a DVD?

Sorry for the questions but I've asked this is a thread I made but I didn't get enough elaboration(at least for me)

On topic: This is **** epic! Replacing sound files is the last thing we needed to make PSA characters seem fully complete.

Revven

FrankerZ
Wait, the file replacement code will work if you use a burnt DVD?

Meaning I can put textures and PSAs and stuff on a DVD, burn it, and then have them work in Brawl?

Wait, then how would I get the Wii to read my Brawl disc?

Would I have to copy all the stuff on the Brawl disc onto a DVD?

Sorry for the questions but I've asked this is a thread I made but I didn't get enough elaboration(at least for me)
You're not understanding it allll.

File Patch 4.0 is for the SD Card, however, it is buggy as hell and crashes with things that work fine in File Patch 3.5.1. What Wave was saying that this is only useful to those who have Wii Scrubber and the raw ISO of Brawl. You don't need the File Patch code at all when you're using an ISO and directly replacing the files on the ISO.

The process isn't something I think you'd enjoy doing as it requires you to install stuff on your Wii before you can even use a burned disc. Search Google if you really want to know more (specifically type in "Wii USB Loader" or "Wii Burned Games"). As this sort of thing is highly illegal to discuss here.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
You're not understanding it allll.

File Patch 4.0 is for the SD Card, however, it is buggy as hell and crashes with things that work fine in File Patch 3.5.1. What Wave was saying that this is only useful to those who have Wii Scrubber and the raw ISO of Brawl. You don't need the File Patch code at all when you're using an ISO and directly replacing the files on the ISO.

The process isn't something I think you'd enjoy doing as it requires you to install stuff on your Wii before you can even use a burned disc. Search Google if you really want to know more (specifically type in "Wii USB Loader" or "Wii Burned Games"). As this sort of thing is highly illegal to discuss here.
Oh, thanks for the info:)

V-K

Smash Ace
I think in Brawl+ should be the punching/kicking sounds from Dragonball Z. :D

Alphatron

Smash Champion
^The Metwo announcer sound has already been done. A guy at gamefaqs requested a couple of things from Pat Cashman himself.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Finally, at last. SFX is changeable. But it sucks that it's not out for the SD Loader yet. When the custom SFX does come out for the SD loader, will it be done the exact same way as this?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
YES! too bad i deleted all my cloud voices -facepalm-

GASP!!! I HAVE THEM ON MY MEDIAFIRE ACCOUNT!!!

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Thank you man! *cries* i love you man... i never had a doubt! *sniffle* EPIC! Ok now i only need a recorder for what im going to do to Sonic.... ha....hahaha...hahhahhahhZhaha!......ha.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
anyone know where i can get the announcer saying CLOUD other than super nuke bros?

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
^The Metwo announcer sound has already been done. A guy at gamefaqs requested a couple of things from Pat Cashman himself.
Here's the MP3, taken straight from YTMND: http://www.mediafire.com/?yvm04y0nnhm

In order of appearance:

• Ridley
  • Roy
  • Mewtwo (two versions)
  • Mega Man
  • Rockman (two versions)
  • Issac
  • Robin
  • Krystal
  • Tails
  • Jody Summers
  • King K. Rool
  • Micaiah
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Felix
  • Jenna
  • Mii

Lots of Golden Sun characters for some reason, I guess the GameFAQs guy really liked those games.

Anyway, some of the PSAs floating around here have legitimate CSS announcements thanks to this recording. I leave it in your hands, guys. Have fun!

EDIT: Someone should hack Pat Cashman himself in as a character and use the "Mii" sound effect for him. It would be perfect.

spikedog767

Smash Rookie
does anyone have a link for sndconv.exe (wii sdk file)? Also, when I open smashbros_sound.brsar file in brawlbox v0.57 everything is fine until I click on an actual wave file. I get an unhandled exception error. can someone post a working smashbros_sound.brsar if you think it is a corrupt brsar file. thanks.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
ANyone gotten this done yet?

And anyone got any Shadow the Hedgehog Or Silver the hedgehog Sound Effects/bites?

matein10

Smash Rookie
I tried using 64 bit Vista and Smashbox would give me the error mentioned by spikedog767 and NikoPunkSUPEERMAARIO. I then tried it on a 32 bit OS (Microsoft XP Pro) and it (smashbox v0.57) worked flawlessly. Try using a 32 bit computer. I'd test if you need Windows or not but they are the only OSes I have.

I hope this helps.

-matein10

matein10

Smash Rookie
You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of assistance.

Thanks for taking the time to write the guide.

-matein10

Wacka Alpaca

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, i also need the Soundconv file thing.
please reply back with a link or "How to get it"

Thanks in advance!

Wacka Alpaca

Smash Cadet
OK, then... what is the Wii SDK? what is SDK? is it on the brawl iso?... doesnt sound like it... please give me a WAY to get it? ive tried typing it in google, but no luck... Thanks in advance for any tips.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
OK, then... what is the Wii SDK? what is SDK? is it on the brawl iso?... doesnt sound like it... please give me a WAY to get it? ive tried typing it in google, but no luck... Thanks in advance for any tips.
Wii Revolution SDK. That's all the help anyone can give.

@Mr. Chuy: Its not illegal to download...if you have 20,000$ to pay.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Am I the only one having difficulty opening smashbros_sound.brsar in SmashBox? Mine is certainly unaltered, but SmashBox doesn't read it at all (I hit 'Open' and it remains a blank window).

Top Bottom