• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soulcalibur V

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
About online play: can people disconnect right as the battle's over to avoid their rank being affected? I HATED this in MK: Arcade Kollection. I would beat people and they'd disconnect right as the battle was over and I'd lose the + to my rank (and they'd avoid losing a point to theirs, babies). Please tell me this has been avoided in SCV....
Nope, lol. If a person disconnects, no one gets/loses anything.

In other words, I'm doing pretty well with Viola and ZWEI online. Definitely my two mains from here on out.

Please don't removes these two for SCVI, lol.

My PSN is HRM_S4kuraz4ki

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I was surprised they took out Talim and didn't add another character with a similar fighting style. At least Mina players can sort of resort to Xiba, even though he plays more like Kilik.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Nope, lol. If a person disconnects, no one gets/loses anything.

In other words, I'm doing pretty well with Viola and ZWEI online. Definitely my two mains from here on out.

Please don't removes these two for SCVI, lol.

My PSN is HRM_S4kuraz4ki
Darn it! Bah this is almost a deal breaker. if I get good enough to rank I dont want the same bs I dealt with on MK

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I was surprised they took out Talim and didn't add another character with a similar fighting style. At least Mina players can sort of resort to Xiba, even though he plays more like Kilik.
It seems I was wrong about Xiba. I can hardly call him a Kilik replacement since he is completely changed. Still I think that Kilik mains will still be satisfied enough, but as a Mina main I can assure that's not the case at all for Mina players, he feels nothing like her. Gonna threathen Namco to release her someday. Her and Talim indeed, I was surprised when I heard she wasn't in. Her fighting style was unique and story-wise she was young. Strange.

Oh well Leixia and Viola are hella fun too and the game doesn't seem unbalanced to me (yet), so I'm definitely liking this game.

:053:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Played the game a bit, it feels very good save for some points :
-changed input for GI, it's very hard when you've been doing the same thing for more than 10 years
-3 edge masters
-3 cass/sophitia characters
-difficulty gap between everything and legendary souls mode
-disappeared characters (screw koreans, I wanted Zasalamel)

Other than that I'm having a lot of fun with Nightmare and Mitsurugi (even if he's lost one of his stances).

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I picked this up last Saturday.

Great fun so far.

I always mained Nightmare/Siegfried.

They both seem like great characters in this.

Nightmars critical edge is silly though.

3/4 health from a counter hit?

LOOOOOOL!

Siegfrieds is amazing too.

I won my 1st ranked match because of Nightmare's crit edge alone hahaha.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Super newb question. I get that Edge moves consume your bar and all, but how do you do a guard-counter special move?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Super newb question. I get that Edge moves consume your bar and all, but how do you do a guard-counter special move?
You mean Guard Impact? It's been changed from Foward+Guard to Back+A+B+K and there's some debate on its efficacy as compared to previous versions. If that's not what you mean then I'm afraid I have no clue...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
You mean Guard Impact? It's been changed from Foward+Guard to Back+A+B+K and there's some debate on its efficacy as compared to previous versions. If that's not what you mean then I'm afraid I have no clue...

Lexia and Nightmare have both done this to me. They would Guard with a green barrier around them. (Guard Impact?) then do a special move. My assumption is that they're doing:

-Guard Impact
-Special move right after?

TL?

Smash Ace
Played the game a bit, it feels very good save for some points :
-changed input for GI, it's very hard when you've been doing the same thing for more than 10 years
-3 edge masters
-3 cass/sophitia characters
-difficulty gap between everything and legendary souls mode
-disappeared characters (screw koreans, I wanted Zasalamel)

Other than that I'm having a lot of fun with Nightmare and Mitsurugi (even if he's lost one of his stances).
There have been 3 cass/soph characters in every game since calibur 2. Besides Pat is only similar to them in that he has a sword and shield. He's not a clone/revamp. His moveset is new.

TL?

Smash Ace
Certain supers have GI frames on startup. Nightmare's super does about 30-40% on counter, about 50-60% on fully charged, and 90% if it charges up and hits a jumping opponent. He will not counter grabs or other supers.

If I remember correctly, Mitsu lost the relic stance. I don't use him so you might want to double check this.

Flayl

Smash Hero
It feels like such bull**** when he pulls that off instantly

Fortunately I figured out he's pretty easy to camp, or rather, just respond to his approach

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I've been playing Tira since release and it's in my belief that she's really low tier.

She lacks solid punishments, especially in jolly, and her main combo-starter is both slow and s.mid. Her pressure game is terrible, and switching phases randomly when getting hurt makes it extremely difficult to do what you want and stay in control. Also, the obvious fact that a lot of her good moves inflict self damage and some have a chance to stun herself. Gloomy does have great damage output, and Tira has a lot of great move to space and stay in control, but it's just too hard to get momentum in a match.

I've been getting my *** whooped far too much, I think I'm going to pick up a new main. Not sure which character yet.

Flayl

Smash Hero
How difficult is this game to learn for someone who's never played a Soul Calibur game before?
The inputs are fairly easy, most of the time easier than linking street fighter combos. However, you need to adapt in a lot more ways and more often than in SF4. So like, learning your own character isn't the hard part, it's learning your opponent that makes you a good player.

That's just IMO.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Alpha pat is so raw! his damage is crazy
103 damage off a grab cmon now

plus his CE is only eight frames making it the fastest move in the game next to yoshis a+k
Happy the online is so good it doesn't miss inputs so i can use his just frames in matches
Online is ridiculous! It's extremely good, I can find opponents very easily and quickly and it's near lagless, even with American players.

It's just... WOW. Definitely the best netplay for a fighting game so far.

The inputs are fairly easy, most of the time easier than linking street fighter combos. However, you need to adapt in a lot more ways and more often than in SF4. So like, learning your own character isn't the hard part, it's learning your opponent that makes you a good player.

That's just IMO.
Actually I think that learning your character is also quite hard in SCV, but they are considerably easier to pick up than SFVI. The game seems to be deep, but at the same it's very accessible. I think they did a great job on that. :)

Flayl

Smash Hero
How did you guys beat Harada TEKKEN? Dem fists with dem Snake disjoints :awesome:

Wall combo'd me into a reset unblockable, so good hahahaha

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So, after much practice i feel like i'm getting there. Still not on a "i can own rank matches" but i can use teleporting with Natsu to get around and do well.

I also am trying to learn Ezio, but solely for the trophy. He is so slow...

Edit: I have a feeling learning guard impact would help, lol.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Love this game. I'm a huge fan of traditional fighting games but I always seem to suck at them though haha, Learning curves are just so huge sometimes. I really like Natsu, she seems so be really good at spacing while being quick and unpredictable as well. Damage output is also really nice on some moves and combo's.

Question1: I've only played SC2 before this one (it's been a while though), and I can definitely see some changes. But just for the record as I hear lots of people moaning about the new guard impact system, exactly what has changed and how? I really can't remember how it used to be.

Question2: Can this game be considered competitively good? Might be a little early to ask but I figured it's really not that shallow.

Btw, I'm thinking about getting xbox live just for this game. Is it worth it?

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
1: Guard impact used to be easier to do, only needing the command 6G or 4G. Because of that GI's aren't as spammable as in the previous games. If that's a good thing or not, I dunno.

2: As for competitive, there have been tournaments already, but I can't say anything since it's too early. Natsu seems to be top tier though.

3: I think it's a really nice game, and the netcode they use is extremely responsive and well done, but I don't think it's worth paying another $50 for LIVE, that is, unless you're really into it. I have it for the PS3 though, so lol.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Guard Impact also takes some meter right? Idk, I have never used it really. I do know that they are indeed less useful.

The game seems to be competitive enough and quite balanced so far. Online the character diversity is surprising.

Yes, online is incredible. Paying for online sucks but IMO it's a must for SCV and you get what you have paid for. I love SCV online <3. We should play sometime!

:052:

Flayl

Smash Hero
Yeah and it's hard to pinpoint why, I was hoping somebody could tell what their general approach (as in tactics) was.

Ugg

Smash Champion
Yeah and it's hard to pinpoint why, I was hoping somebody could tell what their general approach (as in tactics) was.
I just beat him straight out, haha. I didn't really abuse AI that much, I played him as I would play a human. A little bit of luck, and I won. Just keep trying, I suppose.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So have gotten a lot better recently, and Guard Impact seems really...bad. So much meter for such good timing...ew?

Top Bottom