• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Soul Edge! Be unleashed!" -- Nightmare (Soulcalibur) Support Thread

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Made this mock up if Nightmare was in Smash. Too many good songs to chose from, I limited myself to 10. Hopefully we get SNK levels of music haha

View attachment 271413
If it's possible, I would want Soul Calibur 2's entire OST to come along with Nightmare or whoever would be the Soul Calibur rep. Call me greedy, but I would die happy if that happens.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
With Heihachi back to his previous Mii status, has Soul Edge grown stronger today?...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
SoulCalibur is dope, Nightmare in Smash would be dope, but me not noticing this thread today? Definitely not dope.

...Anyway, I support the Azure Knight.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
We are rating Nightmare in Rate Their Chances! Go show your support.

And add me to the supporter list. This guy is awesome and the more gameplay I watch the more I want him in Smash. I'm thinking about trying out Soul Calibur 6 whenever it goes on sale.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So.
As someone with semi-decent knowledge of the Soulcalibur franchise, I have two questions for this board:
  1. In light of Min Min's addition due to ARMS' ensemble cast nature, would you still choose Nightmare first, or do you have other Soulcalibur favorites you'd choose before the Azure Knight if given the chance? I know there's been multiple protagonists (Siegfried, Sophitia, Xianghua, etc.), and other characters that could be considered iconic-For example, Mitsurugi's the Ryu of the series, Talim and Taki are fan-favorites, and Ivy's well-known for some certain things that probably have her kicked out of the running. Also there's that one guy from SCV but I don't think we're allowed to talk about him so just forget I said that But anyways, is there any other SC rep you'd choose over Nightmare if you could, or is Nightmare still your favorite?
  2. More importantly, can Soul Edge's eye blink? Because that's a really big eye they've got there and I'd imagine it would be really uncomfortable if it couldn't blink with it.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So.
As someone with semi-decent knowledge of the Soulcalibur franchise, I have two questions for this board:
  1. In light of Min Min's addition due to ARMS' ensemble cast nature, would you still choose Nightmare first, or do you have other Soulcalibur favorites you'd choose before the Azure Knight if given the chance? I know there's been multiple protagonists (Siegfried, Sophitia, Xianghua, etc.), and other characters that could be considered iconic-For example, Mitsurugi's the Ryu of the series, Talim and Taki are fan-favorites, and Ivy's well-known for some certain things that probably have her kicked out of the running. Also there's that one guy from SCV but I don't think we're allowed to talk about him so just forget I said that But anyways, is there any other SC rep you'd choose over Nightmare if you could, or is Nightmare still your favorite?
  2. More importantly, can Soul Edge's eye blink? Because that's a really big eye they've got there and I'd imagine it would be really uncomfortable if it couldn't blink with it.
1. although he is not my most favorite character of the SC series, (That title goes to Raphael), I still feel that Nightmare is the best rep for the series due to his recognizablity and his prominence within the story. Whole thing is centered around Soul Edge after all.
I will admit that Yoshimitsu being the rep would give us a bonkers moveset and could have costumes from Tekken and Soul Calibur but that seems rather unlikely.

2. I know that Soul Edge's eye blinks in SCII for sure, can't confirm if it does in the others but I believe so.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So.
1. I would take Yoshimitsu over Nightmare or any other Soul Calibur character in a heartbeat.

2. Yes, Soul Edge's eye blinks.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
So.
Regardless of my arguing in the other thread, Astaroth and Zasalamel are my personal favorite Soul Calibur characters. I might make an exception for Astaroth, but Nightmare just makes so much sense and is still so great in his own right.

Here's to Nightmare finally being a legitimate Smash speculation character, friends.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So I got Soul Calibur 6 today and played it all of today until now. Now I want to gush about this game.

First, I want to say that I've never been a fan of fighting games. I've played Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and some of the SNK games, but I've never been able to really get into any of them because I suck at fighting games and I don't have the motivation to be better at those games.

But Soul Calibur is different. For one the horizontal and vertical based gameplay is unique and is easier for me to understand than the kick and punch system of other games. Pulling off combos is easy and I managed to do decent with multiple characters thanks to the streamlined nature of the combat system. While every character I played was unique, they followed the same line of logic with the controls. Do a vertical attack while pressing down and the character will do some kind of slam attack, do a horizontal combo and the opponent will usually fall down which allows you to use a vertical attack, etc. The system is intuitive and allowed me, a fighting game newbie, to get the hang of the system fairly quickly.

The characters feel balanced and they all feel just great to play as. Taki is super quick and thanks to her I achieved some sick combos, 2B is super fun with some clear combo set ups like the attack where she swings the opponents up like 20 feet in the air, allowing for different follow ups. Nightmare is probably my favorite character. He is just the right balance between speed, damage, and range. Plus he is just awesome in general.

But what really helps make the combat feel so good is the visual effects. Pulling off combos and special moves is satisfying due to the particle effects and the sound effects which give the hits oomph. From just one day of playing, I can confidently say this is my favorite fighting game. The gameplay is fast, intuitive and kept my attention, which other fighting games struggled to do. This is the first game of this genre that actually makes me want to get good at the game. And you can't forget about the music either. While scrolling through them to add to my favorites playlist, I ended up picking only a handful......because they were my favorites of my favorites. Seriously, I consider most of the songs in this game to be bangers. I love a good orchestral soundtrack and this game delivers. The soundtrack is booming, lively, and gets me in the mood to kick butt. And the thing is I got the deluxe edition which comes with songs from some of the other Soul Calibur games. There is too much good music, It's overwhelming. When I get paid again I will buy the second season pass which comes with more content, and more music! And when that happens I will be able to listen to all the battle music from almost every game in this franchise. That's bonkers. It's also cool that they have 2B and even Geralt in this game. They feel so naturally placed in the Soul Calibur world.

I know this sounded like a review but I just wanted to give my thoughts on this game as I think it's awesome and there is so much more for me to learn and experience. There is a good amount of single player content which I'm happy with.

Finally, I found a fighting game that I can get into!

Oh yeah, and Nightmare for Smash! Even playing around with other characters and playing some story missions, I still want Nightmare the most. Maybe that will change when I get to know everyone in the roster better but for now Nightmare is my top Soul Calibur pick.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So I got Soul Calibur 6 today and played it all of today until now. Now I want to gush about this game.

First, I want to say that I've never been a fan of fighting games. I've played Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and some of the SNK games, but I've never been able to really get into any of them because I suck at fighting games and I don't have the motivation to be better at those games.

But Soul Calibur is different. For one the horizontal and vertical based gameplay is unique and is easier for me to understand than the kick and punch system of other games. Pulling off combos is easy and I managed to do decent with multiple characters thanks to the streamlined nature of the combat system. While every character I played was unique, they followed the same line of logic with the controls. Do a vertical attack while pressing down and the character will do some kind of slam attack, do a horizontal combo and the opponent will usually fall down which allows you to use a vertical attack, etc. The system is intuitive and allowed me, a fighting game newbie, to get the hang of the system fairly quickly.

The characters feel balanced and they all feel just great to play as. Taki is super quick and thanks to her I achieved some sick combos, 2B is super fun with some clear combo set ups like the attack where she swings the opponents up like 20 feet in the air, allowing for different follow ups. Nightmare is probably my favorite character. He is just the right balance between speed, damage, and range. Plus he is just awesome in general.

But what really helps make the combat feel so good is the visual effects. Pulling off combos and special moves is satisfying due to the particle effects and the sound effects which give the hits oomph. From just one day of playing, I can confidently say this is my favorite fighting game. The gameplay is fast, intuitive and kept my attention, which other fighting games struggled to do. This is the first game of this genre that actually makes me want to get good at the game. And you can't forget about the music either. While scrolling through them to add to my favorites playlist, I ended up picking only a handful......because they were my favorites of my favorites. Seriously, I consider most of the songs in this game to be bangers. I love a good orchestral soundtrack and this game delivers. The soundtrack is booming, lively, and gets me in the mood to kick butt. And the thing is I got the deluxe edition which comes with songs from some of the other Soul Calibur games. There is too much good music, It's overwhelming. When I get paid again I will buy the second season pass which comes with more content, and more music! And when that happens I will be able to listen to all the battle music from almost every game in this franchise. That's bonkers. It's also cool that they have 2B and even Geralt in this game. They feel so naturally placed in the Soul Calibur world.

I know this sounded like a review but I just wanted to give my thoughts on this game as I think it's awesome and there is so much more for me to learn and experience. There is a good amount of single player content which I'm happy with.

Finally, I found a fighting game that I can get into!

Oh yeah, and Nightmare for Smash! Even playing around with other characters and playing some story missions, I still want Nightmare the most. Maybe that will change when I get to know everyone in the roster better but for now Nightmare is my top Soul Calibur pick.
Yeah I can't wait to see all of the 2nd season of DLC. Is this your first Soul Calibur game?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Yeah I can't wait to see all of the 2nd season of DLC. Is this your first Soul Calibur game?
Actually no. I remember playing one of the games on PS2. I can't remember which one it was. But Soul Calibur VI minus as well as be my first introduction since I was like 8 at the time of playing the PS2 game and I barely remember anything besides tiny snippets of the opening and gameplay.

Edit to avoid double posting

I want to ask you all some questions for fun.

1. How did you get into Soul Calibur?

2. What music would you like to get into Smash?

3. What would your preferred stage be?

I just answered the first question in this post and the previous but for questions 2 and 3, I don't have any preference when it comes music and the stage. Again, I think most of the songs in the series are great and many of the stages are beautiful and have a unique tone to them. As long as the music selection contains Raise Thy Sword, I would be happy.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

1. Just randomly stumbled on IV in a Walmart back when I was like 12 and wanted it because it had a Sith Lord on the cover. It was pretty much the first time in my life I found out a franchise on my own rather than having a friend or relative already own a game, so it's holding a special place in my heart because of it.

2. Getting SC music at all is already hype, but if we don't get The Edge of Soul, that's a sin

3. I don't really mind. Anything related to Osthreinberg Castle would be best for Nightmare though.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It would be cool to see Kratos in the PS4 version if that's possible. He just feels like Soul Calibur. He would fit right in.
They don't double dip for guests characters and Kratos is already on a PSP game.

With that said... a moveset based on the latest game would be completely unique. Still doubtful though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
They don't double dip for guests characters and Kratos is already on a PSP game.

With that said... a moveset based on the latest game would be completely unique. Still doubtful though.
Do you think they'd be willing to go back and make an exception for Link in a potential Switch port? I could imagine he'd play a bit differently, and I hear most people got SoulCalibur II just for Link (Don't know if that's accurate, though). Of course, if not him, I could easily picture an FE fighter.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Do you think they'd be willing to go back and make an exception for Link in a potential Switch port? I could imagine he'd play a bit differently, and I hear most people got SoulCalibur II just for Link (Don't know if that's accurate, though). Of course, if not him, I could easily picture an FE fighter.
That depends on whether or not they actually do console-specific guests, because the last time that happened was II.

I guess IV counts too now that you can't buy the DLC anymore...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I didn't know he was already in Soul Calibur. I haven't played the games since Soul Calibur 4.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My desire for Fighting game legends in Smash Bros means I need to support Nightmare.
(I still route for Heihachi and Scorpion).

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Actually no. I remember playing one of the games on PS2. I can't remember which one it was. But Soul Calibur VI minus as well as be my first introduction since I was like 8 at the time of playing the PS2 game and I barely remember anything besides tiny snippets of the opening and gameplay.

Edit to avoid double posting

I want to ask you all some questions for fun.

I just answered the first question in this post and the previous but for questions 2 and 3, I don't have any preference when it comes music and the stage. Again, I think most of the songs in the series are great and many of the stages are beautiful and have a unique tone to them. As long as the music selection contains Raise Thy Sword, I would be happy.
1. "Look it's a Link game mom!"

2. There's a whole bunch and I'm hoping we get more than the average of songs, but Halcyon Harbor is a great song that is often overlooked. Also Edge of Soul could have a Psycho Soldier style new arrangement.

3. Osthreinberg Castle for sure, its a very central location to the whole series and is Nightmare's stage.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So.
I cannot see anyone but Nightmare getting into the game. ARMS has no main character. Nightmare is, in opposition, in the actual logo for the game.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I didn't know he was already in Soul Calibur. I haven't played the games since Soul Calibur 4.
Broken Destiny on the PSP was HIGHLY derivative of 4. Great game, questionable singleplayer.

So.
1) While many characters have had significant protagonist roles, the entire franchise revolves around the evil spirit sword, Soul Edge, and Nightmare is the physical embodiment of that sword's malevolence. He and Inferno, who are essentially the same person, have been the main villain of nearly every game in the series, while his recurring conflict with Seigfried, one of the main protagonists, is representative of his sword's rivalry with the titular Soul Calibur. The only better choice for an SC representative than Nightmare would be the Nightmare from SC2, when he still shared a body with Seigfried and the two were at war mentally.

That said, though, I feel like Yoshimitsu has a small shot, just because he represents two Namco fighting games at once.

2) Not only can the sword blink, it can blink ultra-short distance lasers, used to stun people with the move "Evil Eye".

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
if nightmare got in would he have siegfried as alts ya think since theyre basically the same character in SE, SC, and SC2

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I just bought Soul Calibur 2 a couple weeks ago and have been playing it. I've been switching between arcade mode and weapon master mode. I have the PS2 version so I have Heihachi who kind of sucks. Or maybe its because I don't know how to use him but his range is really short and its difficult to utilize him well.

I've also been thinking about what songs I would pick to be included in Smash. My favorites on the top of my head are:

Raise Thy Sword
Confrontation
Standing Against the Storm
The Evil Flame
Duel Of The Fates
The Storm Bringer
Through The Jaws Of Death

I think Soul Calibur 5's soundtrack is my favorite.Pretty much every SC5 track is a banger and I have everyone song in my favorites list in SC6.

Nightmare has officially joined the group of characters that I would give a 100% want to. I have been having a blast playing the games and learning the lore and exploring the museums. Soul Calibur is a beautiful series, and I would love to see it get any kind of representation in Smash.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, SCV might have some weird roster picks (giving Setsuka's moveset to a Patroklos alt? why not have the actual Setsuka?), but yeah, the music's a banger.

I still have Algol's theme from it stuck in my head and it's not even the best track; I'm just a sucker for unneccessary metal. :p

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Double post, but the thread has been seeing tumbleweeds for nearly a month and I wanna talk, so...

Mechanics idea I speculated about:

- Combo routes AKA typical SoulCalibur gameplay
Landing some of the grounded normals could lead to combos similar in execution to Marth's side B. Unlike side B, the options wouldn't be as numerous, but there'd still be enough to transfer the idea of Soul gameplay into Smash. Mostly 2-hit combos but there could be a 3-hit here and there.

"Button mashing" would be a decent option there, but going out of your way to learn the routes could truly be rewarding, like the games themselves.

- Stance mechanics
When holding the A button after performing any of his tilts, his stance would change.

He'd have three stances. Night Side Stance from forward tilt, Night Behind Stance from up tilt and Night Lower Stance from down tilt. All three stance change his normals completely and even some of his attributes, like Night Behind making him faster and Night Lower putting him on a constant crouch.

If he attacks, gets hit, grabs, gets grabbed or jumps, the stance returns to his default, but there could be ways to retain the stance through holding A in certain combo routes?

Maybe to make things simpler, he could only have the Night Side Stance? Most recent games did that to make him more different than Siegfried.

- Armor Break
So essentially, for those who don't know SC gameplay or need a reminder, ever since SC4, there's been a mechanic where if a part of the body (head, torso, legs) is hit too much, the protective gear would break for that specific part, increasing the damage received every time that body part is hit. And it would stay that way for the rest of the match.

In Smash, the armor would work as a way to reduce damage and knockback, making Nightmare harder to kill but easier to combo as a result, and losing that armor would bring him to how much damage and knockback he'd normally get. As creative liberties, maybe there entire body would count as one part (since it might he harder to tell if stuff like head armor is gone and just simpler overall, like how crafting was simplified for Steve by upgrading all his tools at once) and maybe the armor returns when Nightmare respawns?

DLC so far gave lots of comeback mechanics, so it'd be funny if the devs flipped the idea on its head and gave an advantage mechanic instead.

- Soul Gauge

It's been in both V and VI, so maybe a gauge that allows Nightmare to access a buffed state when filled out?

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So.
1- Always loved Sophitia, and recently I started liking Cassandra too. Either of them would be fantastic, and I'd prefer them over Nightmare, but only slightly more.

2- Yeah it blinks. And it would be pretty dang awesome if Darkhon were to be slain, and when the evil mist dissipates, the Soul Edge remains. Then Sigfried comes, picks it up and turns into Nightmare.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Just hearing Raise thy sword along with nightmare on his ultimate trailer, would be hype as ****.
And then the narrator throws out the classic line that defined the franchise during the gameplay segments.

"Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold."

Top Bottom