• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Soul Edge! Be unleashed!" -- Nightmare (Soulcalibur) Support Thread

D

Deleted member

I support Soul Calibur in Smash Bros. Nightmare is my go-to for the series because he's practically the mascot.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Add me to the support list Wert, Nightmare is easily the Soul Calibur character. The idea of a superheavy swordsman in Smash is a niche we don't have yet. Plus it would be awesome if Nightmare was viable like he is in most Soul Calibur games, aka a pub-stomper that's actually competitively viable. Hopefully he wouldn't run into the Heihachi issues since both come from 3D fighters, and Sakurai did consider putting Heihachi in Smash 4, but chose Pac-Man instead since Heihachi's fighting style would be harder to translate well into Smash. Still, whenever I play Soul Calibur, Nightmare is my go-to character, so I'd love to see him added to Smash one day.

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
Would love to have this boy in Smash, used to play Soul Calibur 2 on the GameCube all the time. I'm hoping for a superheavy sword character badly. His giant hand makes him look sick as well. I'm a supporter

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I feel like this thread needs to be more active. Nightmare is one of my most wanted characters now, he would feel so stylistically different from most people on the roster and having another super heavyweight would be nice.

If Nightmare ever does get in, I hope his reveal trailer will have Ganondorf in it, I've always wanted to see those two fighter ever since Link was in SC2.
Hi! I'm a big Soulcalibur fan, so I made this moveset for Nightmare!
Oh wow this is a great video, I really like how you included clips from the game to help visualize the moveset. Having 3 different stances might be a bit too complex for smash, but I really like the way you incorporated all the moves.

Mysterio1964

Smash Rookie
I would say from my point of view contrary to popular belief I do think Nightmare/Siegfried has a much higher chance of getting in over Heihachi mainly due to two characters Ken and Ryu he looks too similar and if i remember correctly his controls would be too similar to Ryu as all I could see is Down B swiches between left and right and his A button attacks are punches and kicks but I think much more than that. But yes Nightmare/Siegfried are much more likely to get in as they are much more unique (even though there attacks with their swords would look more like Ganondorf's smash attacks) I simply would think they would choose Nightmare/Siegfried due to game play and also to promote a Soulcalibur 2 HD or Soulcalibur 6 Port. Also I put Nightmare and Siegfried as one part as I think they will just be alt to each other (like 2).

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I feel like this thread needs to be more active. Nightmare is one of my most wanted characters now, he would feel so stylistically different from most people on the roster and having another super heavyweight would be nice.
Stylistically different, yet fantasy enough to fit in. Nightmare would work very well in Smash and, while he would definitely be a super heavy, he's not quite as slow as that would imply. While not particularly quick to start and finish, the more defining feature of his moves is the time for which they are active, making them a high commitment in a different sense to everyone else's.

Nightmare is a fluid superheavy, like Ridley without the projectiles and crazy grabs and tippers. He'd be something special among the cast.

If Nightmare ever does get in, I hope his reveal trailer will have Ganondorf in it, I've always wanted to see those two fighter ever since Link was in SC2.
He'd also be very close to what Ganondorf should have been, which makes this rather too on the nose to happen, IMO. Even if that isn't how you intended it.

Oh wow this is a great video, I really like how you included clips from the game to help visualize the moveset. Having 3 different stances might be a bit too complex for smash, but I really like the way you incorporated all the moves.
Two different specials that don't do anything on their own also seems a lot but soul charge kind of has to stay because of how much of a core mechanic it is. I'd drop the crouching stance, though. Keep the ability to hold B to swap stances at the end of an appropriate move but don't force Nightmare to return to his basic one all the time. Instead, let him stay in Side or Behind stance while on the ground and use B at the end of a move to change back. And make him return to basic when blocking, jumping, grabbing or getting up from the ground.

Remember, Smash players aren't typically fighting game players. They don't like convoluted mechanics like stance swaps that affect only the one move that they first do out of them.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Stylistically different, yet fantasy enough to fit in. Nightmare would work very well in Smash and, while he would definitely be a super heavy, he's not quite as slow as that would imply. While not particularly quick to start and finish, the more defining feature of his moves is the time for which they are active, making them a high commitment in a different sense to everyone else's.

Nightmare is a fluid superheavy, like Ridley without the projectiles and crazy grabs and tippers. He'd be something special among the cast.

He'd also be very close to what Ganondorf should have been, which makes this rather too on the nose to happen, IMO. Even if that isn't how you intended it.

Two different specials that don't do anything on their own also seems a lot but soul charge kind of has to stay because of how much of a core mechanic it is. I'd drop the crouching stance, though. Keep the ability to hold B to swap stances at the end of an appropriate move but don't force Nightmare to return to his basic one all the time. Instead, let him stay in Side or Behind stance while on the ground and use B at the end of a move to change back. And make him return to basic when blocking, jumping, grabbing or getting up from the ground.

Remember, Smash players aren't typically fighting game players. They don't like convoluted mechanics like stance swaps that affect only the one move that they first do out of them.

D

Deleted member

Something I can't believe I didn't even think about came to mind with Nightmare potentially being in Smash.

During SC 2's development, Cloud was originally going to be the guest character for the PS2 version of the game but was cut at the last second for unknown reasons and replaced with Heihachi. With Cloud currently in Smash and Nightmare being a potential character for the Fighter Pass, not only would we get to see Link vs Nightmare again (even though Link's destined battle in SC 2 was against Raphael) but we'd get to see Cloud vs Nightmare, one of if not the biggest What Ifs in all of Soulcalibur.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I support Nightmare for Smash Bros Ultimate.
Bandai Namco still only has just Pacman as a playable character.
Soulcalibur seems like a very good series to contend for a spot on the roster.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I've gotten most of my immediate Smash friends onboard with the idea of Nightmare in Smash, with more DLC it seems people are a little more open to the idea of Nightmare. I support Nightmare because I love Soul Calibur, but another reason I want him is just to see Maiximialian Dood's reaction video, his Cloud one was great.

I really hope Ostrheinsburg Castle would be the stage for Smash, it's Nightmare's personal stage and is in almost every game. I think the moat section from III would be good, maybe it could be a traveling stage and go to other parts of the castle like the chapel in II.

toonito

Smash Ace
if nightmare gets in in his trailer i'd like to see a moment of recognition from Link

supports :)

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
if nightmare gets in in his trailer i'd like to see a moment of recognition from Link

supports :)
After having Banjo, Donkey, Diddy, and K. Rool reunite in Banjo's reveal, I can totally see them making a callback to Link and Nightmare fighting before. Seeing a cinematic swordfight between him and Link would be incredible.

Part of me really hopes that Nightmare will be the final guest reveal for Smash Ultimate, kind of a circle being complete with Link being a guest in SCII and Nightmare returning the favor many years later in Smash bros.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Apologies for the double post, but this is rather relevant to the topic of this thread.

Heres a real well made video on what Nightmare and Soul Calibur content might look like in Smash, ranging from move set, stage, music, classic mode route, and Mii costumes, and spirits!

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
I remade my Wishlist for smash recently and put Nightmare at #2, the thought of his gameplay style intrigues me and I absolutely love the way he plays in Soul Calibur. Ive been playing since SC4 and have loved the series since, so I'd absolutely be down for a rep like Nightmare to make it into smash!

Also you can throw me on that support list :kirby:

Last edited:

nintenboyy

Smash Rookie
coming in to show my support as a big soul calibur fan! with soul calibur 6 already having its first anniversary this year (and strange that they didn’t really acknowledge it) and it’s season 2 pass coming up i think it would be a great time to promote soul calibur and also introduce people to the series and characters ☺ nightmare and link have already crossed paths once and bandai namco has helped with two smash games now and there’s still no other rep for them, i’m a strong believer it could happen! (also i feel as if nightmare were to get in he’d be an alt costume for siegfried maybe?)

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
coming in to show my support as a big soul calibur fan! with soul calibur 6 already having its first anniversary this year (and strange that they didn’t really acknowledge it) and it’s season 2 pass coming up i think it would be a great time to promote soul calibur and also introduce people to the series and characters ☺ nightmare and link have already crossed paths once and bandai namco has helped with two smash games now and there’s still no other rep for them, i’m a strong believer it could happen! (also i feel as if nightmare were to get in he’d be an alt costume for siegfried maybe?)
Seeing Link rematch Nightmare in Smash has been a dream of mine for years, lets hope Soul Calibur has caught Sakurai's eye.

I'd love an Siegfried alt costume, but since costumes are only aesthetics and don't affect any animations, I think his half transformed version from SCII would work the best, especially if Nightmare ever uses his big demon claw hand in any of his attacks.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Shwing
Dun
Click

We pick up where Hero's reveal trailer left off, in the World of Light. Link has advanced farther than he had before, now climbing a tall peak to seemingly challenge Dharkon. He reaches the top, and we zoom in to a shot of Dharkon's eyeball... only it is not Dharkon. Panning back, we see that it is in fact the eyeball of Soul Edge! The blade is embedded into the ground and an armored hand effortlessly rips it out and hefting it over its shoulder as we fully pan back to see Nightmare

NIGHTMARE SWALLOWS YOUR SOUL

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
With talk of Nightmare being in the forefront of the current speculation I'd like to throw in my support of Nightnare.

I loved playing Soul Calibur 2, 3 and 4 back in the day. It was one of the franchises that made me get into fighting games in general. Seeing Nightmare in Smash was something I never thought possible but now I think he has a shot.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
With talk of Nightmare being in the forefront of the current speculation I'd like to throw in my support of Nightnare.

I loved playing Soul Calibur 2, 3 and 4 back in the day. It was one of the franchises that made me get into fighting games in general. Seeing Nightmare in Smash was something I never thought possible but now I think he has a shot.
Here, Here!

Nightmare still has some competition within Namco, but yeah things have never looked better for him until now. Soul Calibur is my favorite Fighter besides Smash so it would be a dream come true.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
For everyone just joining the thread and wondering why Nightmare is suddenly being talked about:

Sabi deconfirmed Lloyd despite seemingly having everything going for him., along with several other very big names all being shot down for Fighter 5. Fatmanonice revealed that Nightmare is among the name insiders have heard, and using the Power Of Six theory revolving around Mii Costume selection for each character it stands to reason that if Nightmare IS coming he'd be bringing the missing Heihachi and Lloyd costumes with him, both as Namco characters and because both Heihachi and Lloyd have appeared in Soul Calibur

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I've never played a Soul Calibur game in my life. However, despite that, Nightmare fans have my support for his inclusion in Smash! If recent talks are anything to go by, Nightmare could be joining the battle soon. Regardless whether those talks amount to anything or not remains to be seen, but I am supporting the character because more villains in Smash is never a bad thing! Also, Soul Calibur is a long running franchise that has been on Nintendo consoles (so the series definitely has a good legacy). While I have no attachment to him, I'd be delighted for Nightmare/Soul Calibur fans if he got in!

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Good luck getting Nightmare, y'all! :D While I have never played his game, he looks and sounds like such a sick character so I'd definitely not mind him. Hope y'all get your character!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I feel like I could do a better job summarizing the current situation

So, again, for everyone just tuning in and wondering where Nightmare is suddenly coming from:

Recently it's been a bloodbath of deconfirmations from insiders and even Nintendo themselves with the Resident Evil spirit event. All of the big names being shot down one by one, the MallowDemon leak is stuck in limbo, and all signs were pointing towards Fighter 5 being Lloyd Irving.

Lloyd had everything going for him: Seemingly the last big requested name standing, He's a long overdue Namco rep who literally helps make Smash, the recent Tales Of icon trademarks, his VA being under an NDA for a mystery project, he's a big request in Japan and Sakurai did want him in at some point in the past... Everything was clear for a smooth landing until just today, Sabi came to us with news that their source said no to Lloyd

1575098096239.png

On a previous occasion, Fatmanonice (Who to clarify, hears some of the same things Sabi does but isn't a leaker, they speculate like the rest of us, just with some better insight) mentioned that the big three names that were floating around were Lloyd, Sol Badguy, and Nightmare

With Lloyd being out, Nightmare seems like he is the logical choice in that bunch: He too is a Namco Rep, He's practically the face of the franchise, and Soul Calibur is known for it's crossover elements, to the point where Link himself appeared in Soul Calibur 2 to cross blades against Nightmare!

1575099494613.png

But if you're looking for something a bit meatier rather than conjecture of how he'd be a good fit: The Power of Six theory has the answer

The short version is a theory that all DLC fighters were intended to have six Mii costumes be released along side them, some new ones including returning costumes from Smash 4. Joker fits this pattern, but somewhere along the way plans changed and the order of costumes released shuffled around, with some costumes being moved away where they should be, like Geno and Chocobo Hat's abscence from Hero's release for example

Heihachi's costume would have been a natural fit to release with Terry since they're all fighting games, but he's gone too

Now with Nightmare in the picture, the missing Smash 4 costumes would be IDEAL to release with him: We're missing Monster Hunter, Gil, Heihachi, and Lloyd. What do all of these have in common? Sword Wielders and Namco. Not to mention Lloyd AND Heihachi have both made guest apperances in Soul Calibur as well!

Also, it would sort of perfectly balance the Fighter's Pass: Two JRPGS, one big request, Two Fighting Games

All in all, it seems like Nightmare could be the surprise pick no one saw coming! But then again, Nightmares always appear when you least expect them

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I would also like to show my support for Nightmare, I LOVE Soul Calibur II and IV and it’s so crazy that he’s now seemingly the front runner

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Having posted in this thread some around its beginning, got SC6 when it first came out, all the while enjoying the new updates to it here and there, can definitely say I did not expect Nightmare to be in this advantageous position for Smash speculah now, even if I don't think it'll last. Was just a day or two ago when Lloyd was the most expected after all, but will see what happens. Good luck to the Azure Knight.

Adam Sunday

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3151-2155-7054
Image was created by me c:
Who is Nightmare?
Nightmare is the most iconic character in the Soulcalibur series published by Bandai Namco. He first appeared in Soul Edge (1995) as the human Siegfried and then continued to be an iconic and very important character of the franchise ever since. He dawns the cursed sword, Soul Edge, which is the main objective of most the characters in the series and has become the embodiment of the weapon itself. You can read more about the character's information here: http://soulcalibur.wikia.com/wiki/Nightmare

Why Nightmare?
Now you might be saying, okay this guy is super cool, but why should he be in Smash Bros? Well I'm glad you asked! Here are a few points I'd like to make.
1 - Arguably the most important thing to look at while talking about potential fighters is what they would represent. As a third party rep from Bandai Namco, he'd bring in a more mature and extreme counterpart to their other representative, Pac-Man. It's also important to note that Bandai Namco is co-publishing Smash Ultimate and probably wouldn't mind including a few more of their own characters in the series.
2 - Another thing to look at is the genre of games the third party characters represent. In this regard, it's clear to see we currently don't have any representation for the 3D fighter genre in Smash Bros. Soulcalibur is one of the most popular series when it comes to this genre besides Tekken. This does bring up the argument of Heihachi vs Nightmare for this representation of 3D fighters. I personally believe Nightmare would bring along a much more creative move-set to the table rather than Heihachi.
3 - Soulcalibur and Nintendo have always had a pretty solid relationship as well. Link appeared as a fighter in SC2, so this type of crossover isn't impossible by any means.
4 - Like I briefly mentioned, Nightmare's move-set would be incredible. He has so much source material to work with that the developers would have a field day developing his abilities. Having a great move-set is a huge pull when deciding characters.
5 - One last point to add in his favor is that he's a villain. Smash is in need of more villains and adding a third party villain would be a pretty exciting situation.​

Playstyle / Movement
Here's a fantastic video by @pizzadudemanguy with a moveset concept
Or you can watch this video of him in SC6 for an idea for his playstyle yourself:

Alternate Costumes
Coming from a fighting game series, he already comes prepared with a few alternate skins:

Other alt suggestions by @Blade of Evil's Bane for Nightmare and Siegfried
He could also take color schemes from the other characters from the series. Similarly to FE characters.

His Stage

The stage would likely be Astral Chaos from the Soulcalibur series. It's pretty iconic and I believe a fitting style for Nightmare's character.
Read more about Astral Chaos here: http://soulcalibur.wikia.com/wiki/Astral_Chaos_(stage)
Other stage suggestions by @LOL DUDE

Potential Music
All suggested by @LOL DUDE
"Dragon's Call" — Soul Edge
"Recollect Continent" — Soul Edge
"Bravely Folk Song" — Soul Edge
"The New Legend" — SoulCalibur
"Sail Over the Storm" — SoulCalibur
"In the Name of the Father" — SoulCalibur
"Raise Thy Sword" — SoulCalibur II
"Confrontation" — SoulCalibur II
"If There Were Any Other Way" — SoulCalibur II
"Hellfire" — SoulCalibur II
"Fearless Eyes" — SoulCalibur III
"Ephemeral Dream" — SoulCalibur III
"Water Dance" — SoulCalibur III
"Forsaken Sanctuary" — SoulCalibur III
"Halcyon Harbor" — SoulCalibur IV
"Gigantesque" — SoulCalibur IV
"Destiny Will Tell" — SoulCalibur IV
"Thanatos" — SoulCalibur IV
"Midnight Mystique" — SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny
"Till Fate Writes My Epitaph" — SoulCalibur V
"Sleepless: An Untamed Beast" — SoulCalibur V
"Daybreaker" — SoulCalibur V
"Sacred Dawn" — SoulCalibur V
"Pavor Nocturnus" — SoulCalibur V
"The Lionhearted" — SoulCalibur VI
"Darkest Shadow" — SoulCalibur VI

Arguments Against Nightmare
Now the lame part. I do recognize a few issues that contradict the inclusion of Nightmare in Smash Bros.
1 - His violence is a pretty big reason to put against him. He has incredibly evil behavior and the game origin he comes from is consistently violent. The whole schtick to his character is hitting opponents with a massive sword... and he doesn't pull punches. Of course, we do have violent characters, but I'm not sure if they come close to the intensity of Nightmare.
2 - He's also not the most popular character out there. He definitely isn't a nobody, but compared to other 3rd party options like Crash, Banjo, and Rayman, he doesn't really stack up head to head.
3 - Heihachi could be considered over him. Another Bandai Namco rep that comes from a 3D fighting game that also happens to be more popular. Really the only thing Nightmare has over him is the uniqueness of the character. Who knows, maybe that goes a long way.

Supporters!
Leave a reply issuing your support, and I'll add you the list!

Together we can make Nightmare a reality.
Previous thread can be seen here. Don't worry, I have the blessing of the owner @Welshy91 to create this new one
I would LOVE to see Nightmare in Smash Bros.! He deserves a spot on the roster!! :D

Night Gale

Smash Ace
This thread was active af around November 29. I'm a Sophitia main but I support this mofo and any Soul Calibur character, so sign me up.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Got around to adding all the new supporters we've had recently (if I missed you lmk), thanks a ton for the support everyone!

So... is tomorrow the day? A lot of people are assuming it's Dante or Travis (both sick options), but we still haven't seen the return of Bandai Namco mii's- could this mean they'll be revealed tomorrow alongside a Bandai Namco character like Nightmare (or Lloyd I guess)??? Let's hope!

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Count me in! I'd love to see a Soul Calibur character get into Smash, with a stage that has music from the Soul Calibur series, including Soul Edge/Soul Blade and Khan Super Session. Both originals and new remixes. I'd love to hear Smash remixes of The Edge of Soul, Bravely Folk Song, A Continental Gale, The New Legend, Raise Thy Sword, Hellfire, and many others. They should use this as Nightmare's Victory Theme: https://youtu.be/DzZmvPFfJfI

BTW In case anybody's interested, I made a petition for a remaster/remake of Soul Edge. Here it is: https://www.change.org/p/bandai-namco-remaster-remake-soul-edge

Last edited:
Top Bottom