• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Soul Edge! Be unleashed!" -- Nightmare (Soulcalibur) Support Thread

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
Tira is my favourite character so F me I guess, but also i guess yay cause I can get her atleast. There is a leak going around that the last characters will be Raphael, Cervantes, Lizardman and Hwang. Though the last two are still up in the air on wether they are truly playable. This leak got other character right before, including Azwel(who is awesome). So safe to say they actually got insider info.

I so hope that Hwang returns, at least I have to only mourn Li Long and Rock after that.

Edit: I planned on buying SC6 so i had something till Smash. But if a Switch version arrives next year, then Ill probably regret getting it now. I have literally two games that I play on xbox one. I only bought that for fighting games and kingdom Hearts, but its nostly my multimedia device now. The Switch excites me so much more, and I don't even really like a lot of Nintendo titles in general.

Edit2: did anyone see this?https://www.dualshockers.com/soulcalibur-6-could-be-last/

So i guess I actually will be pre ordering the game then :|. Do not want the series to die.

Honestly they are really bugging me by not having Maxi in the line up x.x I'm also a little sad that there isn't a Setsuka or Amy style character in the game :( If this is the last one then they should just dump EVERYONE back in! Make it a Soul Calibur Tag or something...

EDIT: My bad... looked at an out of date roster. Was gonna be even more upset cuz the one I looked at didn't have Yoshimitsu!

Last edited:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, Cervantes's fighting style was seen on the character creation options... soo yeah. I like him too so that's hype

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I actually enjoyed Viola in SCV and also enjoyed Ezio and Darth Vader movesets.. i would love if they add something like "Clockwork assasin" or "Steampowered Sword Wizard" as a way to keep those movesets. so they will be missed. (also i would kill for some Dark Souls content!) Still, loving Geralt tough <3

still, im tempting to preorder in a way to support this game... although they seem kinda desesperate. Steam version will probably be teh superior version regarding character creation if Steam workshop ends being a thing. Although a switch version would be amazing purely for gameplay.

Anyway, yeah, forgot to point it on my previous post but add em as a supporter. pipedream indeed, but would be hell cool!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
i would love if they add something like "Clockwork assasin" or "Steampowered Sword Wizard" as a way to keep those movesets
Oh, man, I've wanted Link's lefty Sword-and-shield to be in since II as a custom option. Cassie and Sophie's movesets don't cut it when the shield needs to be held crosswise and you're not into hearts and butt attacks.

It's definitely looking good so far. Nightmare in particular looks better than he ever has. Plus the expanded character creation is making me beyond excited. Add to that the incredible villain Azwel they just showed off, and I'm ready for this to release now.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Oh, man, I've wanted Link's lefty Sword-and-shield to be in since II as a custom option. Cassie and Sophie's movesets don't cut it when the shield needs to be held crosswise and you're not into hearts and butt attacks.
hehe, yeah those butt attacks, ... is like trying to do simon belmont with Ivy... dominatrix belmont XD. While i got bored with Patrocklos character, i actually enjoyed his style and liked a lot his "cocky fighting pose" BTW is cassandra confirmed? it would be cool if they keep the waifu stuff in sophitia (for teh ones who care) and cassandra gets a pure cool and badass kit... Dunno if lizardman counts... he is usually kinda weird in the create a souls stuff.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
hehe, yeah those butt attacks, ... is like trying to do simon belmont with Ivy... dominatrix belmont XD. While i got bored with Patrocklos character, i actually enjoyed his style and liked a lot his "cocky fighting pose" BTW is cassandra confirmed? it would be cool if they keep the waifu stuff in sophitia (for teh ones who care) and cassandra gets a pure cool and badass kit... Dunno if lizardman counts... he is usually kinda weird in the create a souls stuff.
Not yet. Considering the timelines, I don't know who else is coming, but I hope Raphael is one of them. Cassandra may be considered low priority with Sophitia in from the beginning and her storyline not even starting until about four years after the game, but she'll likely be high priority for DLC. I'd assume Setsuka's in the same boat.

Realistically the only character I'd be somewhat confident in is Cervantes, considering he and Mitsurugi are the only ones who've never missed a main series game.

Lizardman's also been getting more and more animalistic. I did use him for a nice sword-and-axe kit in 3 and 4, but seeing my custom Link chomp someone by the neck and tear it out is a bit...unorthodox. I think even butt-attack Link is better than cannibal Link :laugh:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
(also i would kill for some Dark Souls content!) Still, loving Geralt tough <3
Oh man, Dark Souls x Soulcalibur would be insane. I'm not sure what character they would add though... Solaire is the obvious-ish choice, but that'd be kinda bland imo

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Oh man, Dark Souls x Soulcalibur would be insane. I'm not sure what character they would add though... Solaire is the obvious-ish choice, but that'd be kinda bland imo
Add Ornsteain for some "Whoa" factor. still adding darksouls armor pieces for create a soul seems like such an obvious choice, and would still be amazing.

Also would be insane cool if characters can get custom taunts and victory poses, soliare armor + his emote could replicate him kinda decently... (until you give him sophitia soul and start butt-attacking people)

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Viola was great. Tbh, there were a lot of styles that were great in V. However, most characters were extremely bland or uninteresting. The balance was all over the place.

Character creator was great. I mean thanks to Viola I could make a super accurate Kuja from FF9. Also Devil Hwang, I'll miss you. But I couldn't get over the gameplay, the characters and the lack of other content.

Btw, they also had the best ever Tira in that game which annoyed me greatly. Her playstyle in 5 was perfect, but she does bot exist in a void and you can't not deal with the rest of the BS.

My problem with Soul Calibur 6 currently is the price. The game plus season pass is atleast 90 euros where I come from. The special edition is 150. So content wise it will actually be better for me to get the collectors edition, considering it comes with an artbook, statue, season pass, soundbox case and soundtrack. It's kind of odd to get more value out of the collectors edition than the maingame. It's really the season pass being 30 euros that makes it so. 7,5 euros per character is quite steep.

Edit: oh god never mind then. The collectors edition in europe lacks the artbook, the soundtrack, the box and is even more expensive than other country's wtf Bamco

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
No Hilde either... .honestly, soul calibur should abandon the pseudo historic crap and take something akin to Fire emblem, zelda or final fantasy, with each game having self contained stories... is not like soul calibur canon isnt already a hot mess DX... or at least add somthing like "phantom characters" that aren't on the story cause reasons (too old, too young, dead etc) but still are in the game ._.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Btw, I am totally counting out a soul calibur representative. If the series is in such dire straits, no way they would ever allow Nightmare for Smash.

I am seriously reconsidering the CE edition since europe only gets the statue AND PAYS MORE. Which is quite frankly ridiculous. I really like that statue, but I am basically paying 85 bucks for it opposed to US paying 60 dollars for the statue artbook amd soundtrack. Its like europes version is funding the us version or something.

Last edited:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Btw, I am totally counting out a soul calibur representative. If the series is in such dire straits, no way they would ever allow Nightmare for Smash.
Eh, I'm not sure if that's too important to consider. Nightmare is still iconic and decently-recognizable. What was the last big Castlevania release you've heard about?

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I'm not sure if that's too important to consider. Nightmare is still iconic and decently-recognizable. What was the last big Castlevania release you've heard about?
But Konami doesn't consider Castlevania pretty much dead as far as I know. It still got games on handhelds and has a longer iconic state. Sc6 almost didn't happen. It was only because the directer pleaded for the game, and even then, the future is now completelty depended on how that game performs. I think they'd much rather push a Tekken character instead.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sadly, think you’re right, but doesn’t mean we can’t hope for/support an SC icon still.

Almost everything about SCV was a mistake which pushed many older fans away (myself included), so the series being on thin ice with the next game determining its future comes as to no surprise, but I’m confident 6 will be successful to a point. If it doesn’t sell as much as hoped however, then am glad at least that this be the game to end the series on as opposed to 5. I wanted to like SC5, but I couldn’t.

OttoBreaker

Smash Rookie
I 100% support the idea of Nightmare in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. He is my favorite video game character of all time. He also makes sense, as he is owned by Bandai Namco, who is helping develop the game. If Nightmare makes it in, I will be extremely happy.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I 100% support the idea of Nightmare in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. He is my favorite video game character of all time. He also makes sense, as he is owned by Bandai Namco, who is helping develop the game. If Nightmare makes it in, I will be extremely happy.
Nice to see your first post was here, welcome to Smashboards!

Chumpodile

Smash Journeyman
Love the idea of nightmare in smash!!! All of my support for the big guy!

I support Nightmare for Smash Bros Sign Me Up :D
Hmmmm... Fresh souls for Nightmare :)

Nice to see some more support!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Add me to the support list. Not only would Nightmare be a unique swordfighter but he also the first third party villain. Plus with Namco having been helping Nintendo and Sakurai since Sm4sh gives him a pretty good chance and Link guest starring in the GameCube version of Soulcalibur II would return the favor by having Nightmare star in Ultimate. What more is there to say?

To also give some hope. Keep an eye out next week if our favorite Soulcalibur antagonist is in the game there's a chance he maybe revealed to commemorate Soulcalibur IV's release. ;)

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Add me to the support list. Not only would Nightmare be a unique swordfighter but he also the first third party villain. Plus with Namco having been helping Nintendo and Sakurai since Sm4sh gives him a pretty good chance and Link guest starring in the GameCube version of Soulcalibur II would return the favor by having Nightmare star in Ultimate. What more is there to say?

To also give some hope. Keep an eye out next week if our favorite Soulcalibur antagonist is in the game there's a chance he maybe revealed to commemorate Soulcalibur IV's release. ;)
Toss me in to the list! Nightmare would be a great and interesting fighter to have.
And the first third party villain...

It'd be nice to have the guy in.
Added ya'll welcome to the _____ (someone come up with a cool fan name pls)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
While I still don’t expect Nightmare for Smash although would like, just want to say that SC6 has been pretty awesome now that I’ve mostly experienced everything. Being reminded of the Inferno boss, as well as Night Terror when looking at other Nightmare evolutions gave me some final smash ideas, although there’s also riding on a horse with Soul Edge like Nightmare’s critical edge in 6. One of the sweetest finishers in the game obviously.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I not a fan of grindy games, nor super dumb self inserted characters that are blandly written because they need to be the center of everything...

So i'm honestly surprised that i enjoyed Libra of souls quite a lot. although the lack of stage variety does it kinda hurts the story immersion .

With a couple of small improvements i actually would look forwaqrd if they decide to add noew Libra of souls like stories in further season passes .

Also, i havent enjoyed an soul calibur villian in a while. Azwel is lit.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I hated fighting the boss version of Azwel in Libra of Souls. Not the worst boss the series has had or anything, but still pretty cheap, though I guess becomes as easy as most other fights with a well upgraded weapon and a food consumable for infinite soul charge.

Groh has been my favorite out of the new playstyles, but Azwel was a pretty good addition too.

Back to Nightmare, imagine if he had his forward middle attack drill move with Soul Edge as a side special or something in Smash. lol

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I hated fighting the boss version of Azwel in Libra of Souls. Not the worst boss the series has had or anything, but still pretty cheap, though I guess becomes as easy as most other fights with a well upgraded weapon and a food consumable for infinite soul charge.

Groh has been my favorite out of the new playstyles, but Azwel was a pretty good addition too.

Back to Nightmare, imagine if he had his forward middle attack drill move with Soul Edge as a side special or something in Smash. lol
really? i don't remember being that terrible even if it took me a couple of tries. (i was lvl 50 though)

Did you used food? i gobbled a food that gave me 30% health back whenever i managed to land a reversal edge post attack, so my strategy was doing some guard pressure with break attacks, fish for reversal edge oportunities, build meter, unleash a soul charge and capítalize guard breaks.

Also, little trivia... while azwel reversal edge "k" techincally "beats" other attacking moves, CPU azwel never capitalized those opportunities, and since azwel's reversal edge K isn't an attack, you are pretty safe to just go for B, since it beats A, Tie and then Tiebreaks B (as long as you are the initiator) and wasnt punished by K.

And if he was in soul charge and with one meter, play slightly more defensive and keep away.

Personally im also loving Geralt... really wish they keep teh style if they do a scvII in the future. (Seeing how aeon calcos have some of kratos in V, Azwel have some of Spawn moves and Groh seems to draw a little from teh apprentice, who knows?)

I actually realy enjoyed darth vader style.. so i would be happy with some kind of... steampowered telekinetic sword wizard that takes from his style too XD

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Man, I'm still annoyed that my SCVI is sitting there in my xbox and I've barely had time to even look at it. Nightmare looks the best he's ever been before, and I'm loving Raph's new outfit too (get rid of the glasses though).

I did manage to get through a few characters' training modes just to see the move lists. Can we talk about Raph's BBBB when soul charged where he poses and then the other character's clothes just literally explode? I laughed my *** off. Wish there were more armor pieces for customization though...particulaly the parts to make the characters' outfits from earlier games (I loved Siggy's P2 from SCIII or SCV or Ivy's P2 from SCII or SCIII)

Still would love to see Nightmare/Siegfried (or Ivy, but probably not) in Smash though. Both look amazing in SCVI and would be great in Smash.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
YES! I support Nightmare! I'm guessing a Namco rep will be DLC. I'm guessing Lloyd but my personal pick would be Nightmare.

LOL DUDE

Smash Cadet
I know I’m bumping this thread by replying to it more than a month after it was last replied to, but, well, with just how open to third parties the DLC for Ultimate is, I've been thinking a lot about how much I'd want Nightmare to be one of the characters they add, and, well, I have a lot of thoughts that I wanna put down. Better than making a completely new thread, right?

Anyways, I think Nightmare is very much possible given SoulCalibur’s success as a franchise and Bandai Namco’s close involvement with Nintendo both on SoulCalibur II (the best-selling third party fighting game on the GameCube and the fifth best-selling third party game on the system overall) and now Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Yeah, he is another sword fighter, but he’s a villain, and would probably be a heavyweight, at that. Even with Ridley and K. Rool in the game, the roster is pretty lacking in both of those departments. The most I can offer for his exact moveset is for his neutral or down special to be Soul Wave, where he unleashes a burst of dark energy around himself. It could have properties similar to Charizard’s now-removed Rock Smash, being relatively weak and non-chargeable, but working as an effective counter by powering through moves on startup thanks to super armor and nullifying or possibly even reflecting projectiles (with the right timing, of course).

As for his stage, though, I think one more personal to Nightmare himself might be a better fit than Astral Chaos. Here’s a couple thoughts of mine...

Ostrheinsburg Chapel (SoulCalibur II)
Ostrheinsburg Chapel.png

Most folks who played SoulCalibur II oughta recognize this one, because it’s not only Nightmare’s stage, but also Link’s (since the guest characters didn’t have their own stages). This would be a good choice for appealing to folks’ nostalgia, though I personally don’t find it to be that interesting-looking of a setpiece.

Tower of Remembrance — Encounter (SoulCalibur IV)
Tower of Remembrance — Encounter.png

This stage is simply stunning, from the way the tower and its surrounding spires jut out from the clouds below, to the setting sun off in the distance giving everything a reddish-orange tint, and finally the main platform bearing the eye and flesh growths associated with Nightmare’s blade, Soul Edge. Only problem with it is that it’s from one of the lesser-renowned games in the series, and as such may not appeal as well to fans.
And, well, maybe as a little bonus, it could have a Boxing Ring-esque variant that resembles Tower of Remembrance — Omen from SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny, which is the exact same stage except at a different time of day.
Tower of Remembrance — Omen.jpg

And as for the music that he could come with, well, there’s lots of good tracks from the series to choose from. Here’s a mix of both personal and fan favorites…
And those are all of my thoughts. Really hopin’ Nightmare gets in Ultimate. SoulCalibur would be a great series to add to its lineup of third-party gaming representation.

Last edited:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I know I’m bumping this thread by replying to it more than a month after it was last replied to, but, well, with just how open to third parties the DLC for Ultimate is, I've been thinking a lot about how much I'd want Nightmare to be one of the characters they add, and, well, I have a lot of thoughts that I wanna put down. Better than making a completely new thread, right?

Anyways, I think Nightmare is very much possible given SoulCalibur’s success as a franchise and Bandai Namco’s close involvement with Nintendo both on SoulCalibur II (the best-selling third party fighting game on the GameCube and the fifth best-selling third party game on the system overall) and now Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Yeah, he is another sword fighter, but he’s a villain, and would probably be a heavyweight, at that. Even with Ridley and K. Rool in the game, the roster is pretty lacking in both of those departments. The most I can offer for his exact moveset is for his neutral or down special to be Soul Wave, where he unleashes a burst of dark energy around himself. It could have properties similar to Charizard’s now-removed Rock Smash, being relatively weak and non-chargeable, but working as an effective counter by powering through moves on startup thanks to super armor and nullifying or possibly even reflecting projectiles (with the right timing, of course).

As for his stage, though, I think one more personal to Nightmare himself might be a better fit than Astral Chaos. Here’s a couple thoughts of mine...

Ostrheinsburg Chapel (SoulCalibur II)
View attachment 183730
Most folks who played SoulCalibur II oughta recognize this one, because it’s not only Nightmare’s stage, but also Link’s (since the guest characters didn’t have their own stages). This would be a good choice for appealing to folks’ nostalgia, though I personally don’t find it to be that interesting-looking of a setpiece.

Tower of Remembrance — Encounter (SoulCalibur IV)
View attachment 183732
This stage is simply stunning, from the way the tower and its surrounding spires jut out from the clouds below, to the setting sun off in the distance giving everything a reddish-orange tint, and finally the main platform bearing the eye and flesh growths associated with Nightmare’s blade, Soul Edge. Only problem with it is that it’s from one of the lesser-renowned games in the series, and as such may not appeal as well to fans.
And, well, maybe as a little bonus, it could have a Boxing Ring-esque variant that resembles Tower of Remembrance — Omen from SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny, which is the exact same stage except at a different time of day.
View attachment 183741

And as for the music that he could come with, well, there’s lots of good tracks from the series to choose from. Here’s a mix of both personal and fan favorites…
And those are all of my thoughts. Really hopin’ Nightmare gets in Ultimate. SoulCalibur would be a great series to add to its lineup of third-party gaming representation.
Yoooo you went all out!!!!! Great job with all this, I'll add it to the thread when I get a chance ^_^

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hi! I'm a big Soulcalibur fan, so I made this moveset for Nightmare!
This is a phenomenally well done moveset, though I do have one question.

If his neutral B is "stance change" and Kirby copies the stance change, what does Kirby do? Does Kirby also come with a miniature Soul Edge and uses that?

?????????????

Smash Master
This is a phenomenally well done moveset, though I do have one question.

If his neutral B is "stance change" and Kirby copies the stance change, what does Kirby do? Does Kirby also come with a miniature Soul Edge and uses that?
That has already been my most asked question on the video; I definitely should have elaborated on that!

Actually, that's exactly what I was thinking. Go all-out, let Kirby use all the Stance Change attacks with Soul Edge, but keep his own regular attacks when not stance-changed.

Top Bottom