• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Soul Edge! Be unleashed!" -- Nightmare (Soulcalibur) Support Thread

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I do think that Nightmare's trailer could close to, if not, as badass as Sephiroth's trailer. An idea that I just thought of is that his trailer could be a sequel to the Belmonts. Because of Luigi's soul and other souls traveling around the place, that lures in Nightmare. Simon and Richter are fighting off monsters when they hear "Give me your souls!" They look back and see a silhouette of Nightmare slicing a monster. The camera then pans to Nightmare with Raise Thy Sword playing then Nightmare starts rushing at the Belmonts with the splash screen "Nightmare retells history" or something like that.

What would be all of your ideas for a splash screen?

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I do think that Nightmare's trailer could close to, if not, as badass as Sephiroth's trailer. An idea that I just thought of is that his trailer could be a sequel to the Belmonts. Because of Luigi's soul and other souls traveling around the place, that lures in Nightmare. Simon and Richter are fighting off monsters when they hear "Give me your souls!" They look back and see a silhouette of Nightmare slicing a monster. The camera then pans to Nightmare with Raise Thy Sword playing then Nightmare starts rushing at the Belmonts with the splash screen "Nightmare retells history" or something like that.

How bout this? "Nightmare Sharpens The Edge" (as in Soul Edge, his sword) or "Nightmare Transcends Through History" (in reference to the Soul Edge/Soul Blade intro)

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Nightmare Edges In!

A reference to Soul Edge that still means "joins the battle"

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I guess you're right if you put it that way.
If you really want to make a reference to his theme, doing Raise Thy Sword! Nightmare! makes it sound like the trailer itself asks him to raise his sword, which makes more sense.

But I still feel it'll be Nightmare Edges In! because I have bias over my own thoughts :lol:

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just made The General Namco thread:

Come here to discuss about Nightmare and other Namco characters as well.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Yo! I added some supporters I had missed, and I really appreciate all the support recently! Love to see it ^_^

Also, anyone else starting to feel like Nightmare's chances are growing really fast? With Mii costumes like Heihachi and Geno returning I think a Lloyd one might be inbound here shortly... meaning we could probably get a bandai namco reveal here soon. Imo it really comes down to either a Dark Souls character or a Soulcalibur one (two games I really love, so it'd be a win-win for me haha). So what are everyone's thoughts on current chances?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
While I don't think Nightmare is Bamco's frontrunner, I still give him a solid chance. Around 20% to 25% about. There are some things that hurt him like SC6 not being on the Switch and the steep inter-company competition. But the fact that Link was in SC2 and we did get a few other SC games on Nintendo systems is good enough for him to be in contention and SC6 did revive the series after it almost came crashing down.

It's just hard to predict who is likely in Bamco's library. After Lloyd, there is no clear runner-up. We have Soul Calibur, Digimon, Dark Souls, Klonoa, Katamari, and Taiko no Tatsujin. There is also Tekken but I don't think we are getting a Tekken character after just getting the Heihachi costume. I would argue that Soul Calibur is probably more likely than half of those but some of them like Digimon and Dark Souls gives the series a run for its money.

I just realized that I should just post this in the general Bamco thread at this point. But point being, Nightmare has a good shot in my eyes.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
This is probably the best place to ask this:

If Nightmare came with Siegfried as an alt or the other way around, how would their trailer be like, aknowledging the fact that they still share the body and alternate who's in control whenever Sieg is unable to handle it?

Just an hypothetical scenario from a Siegfried main who would be fine with just Nightmare in Smash as long as he is treated as a separated entity from Siegfried

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
While I don't think Nightmare is Bamco's frontrunner, I still give him a solid chance. Around 20% to 25% about. There are some things that hurt him like SC6 not being on the Switch and the steep inter-company competition.
Cloud and Joker proved that a game not having a Nintendo appearance doesn't matter much, so SC6 not being on the Switch isn't exactly a deal-breaker.

I don't think it changes his chances by a noticeable amount.

If Nightmare came with Siegfried as an alt or the other way around, how would their trailer be like, aknowledging the fact that they still share the body and alternate who's in control whenever Sieg is unable to handle it?

Just an hypothetical scenario from a Siegfried main who would be fine with just Nightmare in Smash as long as he is treated as a separated entity from Siegfried
Siegfried's depiction could be that SC2 alt of Nightmare.

1610638995665.png

Mostly because I doubt Sakurai wouldn't make use of that big, meaty claw in the moveset.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Cloud and Joker proved that a game not having a Nintendo appearance doesn't matter much, so SC6 not being on the Switch isn't exactly a deal-breaker.

I don't think it changes his chances by a noticeable amount.
I'm not saying that it's a deal breaker. I'm just saying that it is less of an incentive for Nintendo to choose Nightmare when Bamco's other series got releases on the Switch.

I've been thinking about this. Maybe Siegfried will be our rep but if he is, he should be able to turn into Nightmare at some point during gameplay. Maybe as like a comeback mechanic. For his trailer, it could start with him picking up Soul Edge. Then he starts battling and eventually he starts losing. Siegfried then musters up more power, not knowing that it would soon consume him. He screams as the evil energy takes over him. After the energy cloud dissipates, it now shows Nightmare and he gets his own splash screen too.

I imagine the trailer will go something like that. After all, Soul Edge is arguably the most important thing in Soul Calibur so yeah it would be important for the developers to show that distinction/dynamic between Siegfried and Nightmare.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm not saying that it's a deal breaker. I'm just saying that it is less of an incentive for Nintendo to choose Nightmare when Bamco's other series got releases on the Switch.
Again, Cloud and Joker.

Soulcalibur is still a very notable franchise that, while it may not be as famous as Tekken, still left an impact on the genre, both due to the previously unprecedented amount of content and quality the first Soulcalibur had for a fighting game relative to its arcade version and its 8-way run, which redefined movement in 3D fighters.

It's a long-standing franchise with a big impact, a big legacy and is still relevant today due to VI. That should be enough to not require the latest game being on the Switch thought I really wish it did.

The fact that Nintendo once agreed to have Link in Soulcalibur II probably makes the potential negotiations smoother too... though some of the other potential frontrunners for Bamco also have a similar argument so it doesn't help Nightmare specifically.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Again, Cloud and Joker.

Soulcalibur is still a very notable franchise that, while it may not be as famous as Tekken, still left an impact on the genre, both due to the previously unprecedented amount of content and quality the first Soulcalibur had for a fighting game relative to its arcade version and its 8-way run, which redefined movement in 3D fighters.

It's a long-standing franchise with a big impact, a big legacy and is still relevant today due to VI. That should be enough to not require the latest game being on the Switch thought I really wish it did.

The fact that Nintendo once agreed to have Link in Soulcalibur II probably makes the potential negotiations smoother too... though some of the other potential frontrunners for Bamco also have a similar argument so it doesn't help Nightmare specifically.
You are correct and I agree.

I guess I was just being skeptical because I got burned with character reveals before so I don't want to get my hopes up for Nightmare too much despite him being one of my top wanted. It probably felt weird for you to have to explain that to someone with a Nightmare profile pic. But you did renew hope in me.

Top Bottom