• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Staarih

Smash Master
I want a unique Dixie as much as the next, but we have no idea how Sakurai sees the situation - for all we know, he’d be fine with Dixie being an Echo (I mean, he meant to tag her along with Diddy in Brawl). As much as it would suck, I think at least acknowledging the possibility saves from any major disappointment. But still hope for the best of course.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I want a unique Dixie as much as the next, but we have no idea how Sakurai sees the situation - for all we know, he’d be fine with Dixie being an Echo (I mean, he meant to tag her along with Diddy in Brawl). As much as it would suck, I think at least acknowledging the possibility saves from any major disappointment. But still hope for the best of course.
You are not wrong, though the fact he wanted to tag her with Diddy means she was going to do different things than Diddy in the tag team scenario. If they both did the same thing (like echo fighters), why would he want to tag them together?

Staarih

Smash Master
You are not wrong, though the fact he wanted to tag her with Diddy means she was going to do different things than Diddy in the tag team scenario. If they both did the same thing (like echo fighters), why would he want to tag them together?
No idea what he might’ve planned, but still, after scrapping that idea Dixie is still nowhere to be found. I’m afraid Sakurai doesn’t see her as high priority which is why he might take the Echo route. I dunno, I sure hope I’m wrong lol, maybe I’m just preparing for the worst (though to me, Echo would be better than nothing tbh).

Reila

No idea what he might’ve planned, but still, after scrapping that idea Dixie is still nowhere to be found. I’m afraid Sakurai doesn’t see her as high priority which is why he might take the Echo route. I dunno, I sure hope I’m wrong lol, maybe I’m just preparing for the worst (though to me, Echo would be better than nothing tbh).
Generally I would agree that echo trumps nothing, but in Dixie's case it would be really bizarre.

Would you be okay with Paper Mario as an echo?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What Sakurai thinks of the situation? Well let's look at the trophy entries for Dixie alright?

Melee:

"More than just Diddy Kong's girlfriend, Dixie Kong is also a fearless adventurer and a reliable team player. She earned her wings helping Diddy rescue Donkey Kong from the clutches of King K. Rool. Dixie's amazingly quick and nimble, and she's even able to twirl her ponytail in order to float slowly through the air. "

Brawl:

"Diddy Kong's cutie of a girlfriend with an adorable blond ponytail. That ponytail is hardly for show—it helps propel her through the air for extended hang time and is indispensable for spin-attacking enemies and lifting barrels. Watch out—Dixie packs more power than you might imagine! "

Smash 4:

" Diddy Kong's girlfriend. She loves to adventure with him. Her ponytail isn't just for show—she can use it to swim faster, soar in the sky, and even lift barrels! With hair that does all that, you can bet she takes good care of it!
Dixie Kong is all about style and substance. Just look at her ponytail. It's not just a fashion statement - she can spin it to fly up into the air, swim against strong currents, and even throw barrels with it, no problem! No wonder Diddy Kong likes her! "

Sakurai is well informed on what she can do with that hair.

Cart Boy

Smash Rookie
For what it's worth, I agree with Staarih that we should brace ourselves for a Dixie Echo. If that's indeed what we get, it'd certainly be a poor way to portray her character - if Dixie's playable in Smash but doesn't use her hair for jumps, attacks, and throws, then something's wrong - but I think it plausibly could happen.

Still, I am optimistic that Sakurai would want to represent her better than that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
>All these "Dixie Kong = Echo" posts
>EVEN HERE IN THIS THREAD

Cart Boy

Smash Rookie
Oh, it certainly isn't the outcome I'm advocating; I'd probably rather her not be on the roster at all than see her as an Echo, and I do believe Sakurai would want to handle her character with more care than quickly re-skinning Diddy. But, y'know, I'm just bracing myself for a worst case scenario.

Reila

For what it's worth, I agree with Staarih that we should brace ourselves for a Dixie Echo. If that's indeed what we get, it'd certainly be a poor way to portray her character - if Dixie's playable in Smash but doesn't use her hair for jumps, attacks, and throws, then something's wrong - but I think it plausibly could happen.

Still, I am optimistic that Sakurai would want to represent her better than that.
I think we all here know that Dixie being an echo is a possibility. It is just a tough pill to swallow.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Dixie's being counted out again. Always been the underdog in speculation.
Call me a pessimist but does that lower her chances? It seems strange they'd remix Dixie Beat and not use it for HER trailer.
It can go in any direction. We're not sure if this remix is based off DKC1s or DKC3s theme and we won't know until we can look at the track's title in the actual game when we adjust the music; at that point we'll likely already know Dixie's fate so the track's origin will just be trivia.

What'd be more damning is if a track like Nuts n' Bolts was used for Diddy, cuz it'd be a tune that originates from DKC3 and has nothing to do with Diddy. Small tangent, but the Bramble Blast Remix would work well for a Dixie trailer; DK's trailer has that frantic action feeling while Diddy's has that silly but fun vibe. I always associated that Bramble remix with Dixie more than Diddy based on the gist of her personality.

Dixie could easily have a more fleshed out moveset, but if they really wanted to get her in and didn't want to pour much resources I think making her a DK/Diddy hybrid is the best way to go. She ground pounds with her in Tropical Freeze and it's pretty satisfying.

She doesn't grab with her hair in Tropical Freeze though, and that just feels wrong. Having her hair as a cargo grab is a must.
Disagreed with the DK/Diddy hybrid angle. No matter what type of moveset is cooked up for her you need at least 5 things to get away with claiming it suits her: Pirouette (Unique Dash Attack), "Flutter" Jump (courtesy of DKCTF), Cargo Grab, Hair Attacks and Helicopter Spin. DK's only got 2 of those and Diddy has none. We won't see her rolling/cartwheeling, Giant Punching and Rocket-Barreling in the arena since its been established she has her own methods. Diddy now only has one tail attack, which seems to be his ledge sweep, and with Dixie's main gimmick being hair it'd make sense to come up with some moves instead of transplanting all of Diddy's attacks.

Logically speaking, I fear Dixie might be a semi clone rather than an Echo Fighter, which annoys me because I want her unique. If she is an Echo they should throw all her Trophy descriptions since Melee out the window. Also, Dixie doesn't cargo grab in DKCTF because she'd be unable to Flutter Jump if her hair's holding something. That gives Diddy and Cranky an advantage.

Diddy Kong Diddy Kong is killing it with the Daisy rebuttals, so I don't need to jump in on that.

Last edited:

Reila

Yeah, I don't think the remix means much regarding Dixie. If she gets in, they might use a popular DKC2 or DKC3 (preferably, imo) for her trailer. Stickerbrush Symphony steals the spotlight frequently but there are numerous other good tracks in both games. I would rather they not use it again.

I would be a happy panda if they used Mining Melancholy (DKC2) or maybe Cascade Capers (DKC3) in a potential Dixie trailer.

Listen to this masterpisce. Proof that Eveline Fischer could compose great songs just like David Wise.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
If I can chime in on the Daisy stuff...

Yes, Daisy could have been unique. Anyone can. But there was no real need for her to be. The most common idea I see for Daisy is a moveset based on the Mario sports games, which would mean her moveset wouldn't be about her, but the games she happens to be in. Waluigi could have a moveset like that and it would make just as much sense.

This isn't true for Dixie. Dixie has a defining characteristic in her hair, something that would make a moveset that is about her specifically.

Diddy Kong Diddy Kong is killing it with the Daisy rebuttals, so I don't need to jump in on that.
How very appropriate that Diddy Kong is standing up for his girl.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
People seem to overlook that just because echos are a thing now, it doesn't mean we couldn't get a Dixie semi-clone.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I fully support Dixie Kong, and although this may seem counterintuitive, I think that she has the best chance of inclusion if King K. Rool gets in (which I believe is a serious possibility). His general popularity, Mii costume, and Sakurai's E3 comment about fan demand are all promising signs. Dixie Kong has tons of fans as well, and is much more relevant. I doubt Sakurai would ignore all of that, and would probably add her as a semi-clone of some sort. In my opinion, making her an echo is a major disservice, and it doesn't work as easily as it would for other pairs of characters. Sheik/Impa, Inkling/Octoling, Samus/Dark Samus, Sonic/Shadow, Marth/Chrom, and more all have nearly identical anatomies. The echoes may have different abilities in their respective games, but their frames are basically the same. This is why so many of the original's moves work for the echoes. It just doesn't work for Diddy and Dixie. Even if all of Diddy's tail attacks are gone, Dixie still has her hair, which is a huge anatomical difference. I doubt Sakurai would want to do that to her.

Last edited:

Reila

She is definitely more relevant than K. Rool in the great scheme, but in the end his popularity far exceeds hers. If only one gets in, I would bet on King K. Rool. If Sakurai wants (and is allowed to) pay the respect the DK series deserves, we might get both, with Dixie being a semi-clone in the worst case scenario.

P.S.: Marth/Crom? Another Marth clone? That would be something.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chrom / Ike is also quite possible. Even hinted at in Smash 4 with the Palutena codecs.

Dixie as a semi-clone could work. And we have Retro to blame for that by giving her that Bubblegum Popgun. In general am not a fan of Retro's partner system, so that comment that a new DK team has been established is a great sign for better things to come for me.

I gotta admit that I kinda neglected Tropical Freeze since I started my Breath of the Wild play through. I like the game, but am more of a Rare DKC purist. With that being said, I should really try to figure out how to put the SNES DKC games on my 3DS.

Reila

Yeah, Ike / Chrom makes more sense, though (imo) Ike's up special is rather iconic and it would be weird to see Chrom using it.

Unrelated, but it makes one wonder what Retro is up to, since they aren't working on Metroid or DK.

I think Tropical Freeze has great level design, from the little I played (and watched - Sadly I sold my Wii U before I could finish it), but just like in Returns, I missed the old duo system where you could play as two character, not only DK carrying someone on his back.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm imagining a reverse of the Robin Reveal for a Trailer.

It starts with Mario facing off against Donkey Kong when suddenly, Mario is sent flying by a Kannon Ball (Think SSE) and as DK is stunned a cage falls on him. As DK struggles a sinister laugh is heard and pan to reveal...

KING K. ROOL KRUSHES THE OPPOSITION!

Cue gameplay footage until it cuts back to DK's cage being dragged off by Kremlings when Diddy Kong shoots one with his Peanut Gun. When it looks like DK's little buddy is outnumbered, several Kremlings get splatted with bubble gum. Turn to the trees to reveal

DIXIE KONG SPINS IN!

Gamplay footage

The duo have freed Donkey Kong when K. Rool barges back into the scene, the trio prepare to face off.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, Ike / Chrom makes more sense, though (imo) Ike's up special is rather iconic and it would be weird to see Chrom using it.
He kinda does a similar animation in the cutscene against "Marth". So it could easily work. They'd just have to name his Side B Aether, and Up B something else. It really fits well if you consider this.

[QUOTE="Reila, post: 22135987, member: 236748"Unrelated, but it makes one wonder what Retro is up to, since they aren't working on Metroid or DK.

I think Tropical Freeze has great level design, from the little I played (and watched - Sadly I sold my Wii U before I could finish it), but just like in Returns, I missed the old duo system where you could play as two character, not only DK carrying someone on his back.[/QUOTE]

Dunno what Retro is doing. Am still hopeful for a Returns game where you can switch Kongs and fight the Kremlings, but am not gonna get my hopes up.

I haven't even finished World 1 in TF because well.. The new buddy system actually lets me down. With Returns, I mostly played at a friend's house, where he was DK and I was Diddy, so that felt awesome. I don't have two controllers yet for the Switch, so it'll be much harder to me to play Diddy. Maybe I should just go and finish Funky mode first? Am also sad that I can't play the Diddy + Dixie combo.

Am gonna finish Tropical Freeze eventually, just not now.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
He kinda does a similar animation in the cutscene against "Marth". So it could easily work. They'd just have to name his Side B Aether, and Up B something else. It really fits well if you consider this.

Unrelated, but it makes one wonder what Retro is up to, since they aren't working on Metroid or DK.

I think Tropical Freeze has great level design, from the little I played (and watched - Sadly I sold my Wii U before I could finish it), but just like in Returns, I missed the old duo system where you could play as two character, not only DK carrying someone on his back.
Dunno what Retro is doing. Am still hopeful for a Returns game where you can switch Kongs and fight the Kremlings, but am not gonna get my hopes up.

I haven't even finished World 1 in TF because well.. The new buddy system actually lets me down. With Returns, I mostly played at a friend's house, where he was DK and I was Diddy, so that felt awesome. I don't have two controllers yet for the Switch, so it'll be much harder to me to play Diddy. Maybe I should just go and finish Funky mode first? Am also sad that I can't play the Diddy + Dixie combo.

Am gonna finish Tropical Freeze eventually, just not now.
Wait, doesn't the switch come with two controllers by default?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wait, doesn't the switch come with two controllers by default?
Errr yeah totally forgot that it did! I always just play with the console in my hand, as if it was a handheld. Don't own a good TV for it. so that might have something to do with it honestly.

I just wish I didn't have to go through all these unwanted procedures for wanting to play the game how I like it.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Tropical freeze is totally worth it guys. World 1 isn't that impressive compared to the other world's, but you really have to keep playing and you will get used to the mechanics.
The enemies and bosses are also so much better designed than in returns, dkcr was rather forgettable in that regards. I have to admit though that the Kremlins are still the best designed enemies in DKC and I really hope Nintendo brings them back. I also liked Dixie's old Rare design more. Nonetheless tropical freeze is almost perfect.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Also if you beat the game with all KONG letters collected, you will unlock hard mode, where you can choose to play as diddy, Dixie, cranky or funky. All solo

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Also if you beat the game with all KONG letters collected, you will unlock hard mode, where you can choose to play as diddy, Dixie, cranky or funky. All solo
W-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?

This is all I ever wanted <3

Okay.. gonna play tonight!

Also, does it count if I play Funky Mode? Cause I kinda need an excuse to go casual Funky mode.

Reila

I need to find money first buy it on the Switch first. I do have a desire to finish the game even without the hard mode thing (which sounds great).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
W-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?

This is all I ever wanted <3

Okay.. gonna play tonight!

Also, does it count if I play Funky Mode? Cause I kinda need an excuse to go casual Funky mode.
Wait I thought you knew that?!?!? The only catch is that you have 1 heart and no checkpoints. IDK how it works with Funky cuz I have the Wii U version.

EDIT: BTW I issue a challenge to ALL OF YOU: Beat Irate Eight on Hard Mode, WITH DIDDY. Took me months, not even kidding.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wait I thought you knew that?!?!? The only catch is that you have 1 heart and no checkpoints. IDK how it works with Funky cuz I have the Wii U version.

EDIT: BTW I issue a challenge to ALL OF YOU: Beat Irate Eight on Hard Mode, WITH DIDDY. Took me months, not even kidding.
Challenge accepted! Was about to do a Diddy only run anyway :D

**** yes this got me excited! And no I never knew! Truth to be told I never owned a Wii U either, so the Switch version is honestly the first time for my playing Tropical Freeze. Therefore I was always extremely happy that the port happened.

But question... Can you unlock Hard Mode by playing with Funky? Cause the order I wanna do it as of now seem to be Funky > DK + partners > Diddy Hard Mode (this is a DKC staple as this given point honestly, having a Diddy Mode unlocked).

Was almost finished with Breath of the Wild anyway lol

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

**** yes this got me excited! And no I never knew! Truth to be told I never owned a Wii U either, so the Switch version is honestly the first time for my playing Tropical Freeze. Therefore I was always extremely happy that the port happened.

But question... Can you unlock Hard Mode by playing with Funky? Cause the order I wanna do it as of now seem to be Funky > DK + partners > Diddy Hard Mode (this is a DKC staple as this given point honestly, having a Diddy Mode unlocked).

Honestly IDK with Funky; I'd assume no because he's Beginner's Mode but I could be wrong.

I wish you ALL the luck you can get with Irate Eight on Hard Mode though. Diddy's the fastest underwater but the hardest to control.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Dixie has been one of my most wanted newcomers since the Brawl era, ALONG with King K. Rool.
My ideal scenario would be: K. Rool and Dixie as newcomers, Kranky as an assist trophy doing the cane bouncing thing, and Funky as a background character in a DK-themed stage or something like that.

You guys have my support, I think we have a nice chance of having Dixie join the roster this time around.
Personally, I don't mind if she comes as an echo fighter. The more the better for me.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608

Yes, it works with Funky Mode. I had the wiiU version back then, so this time, I decided to play as Funky Kong and after I beat the last boss and the 3 secret levels (like I said before, you have to collect all KONG letters), hard mode was unlocked. So yeah, it does work that way :-D
I'm almost finished with hard mode, only a couple levels left in the last world, played dixie only (used funky kong in a few water levels though, as he doesn't need to take care of breath underwater, otherwise it's waaaaay too hard, haha).

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608

Yeah, this one of the levels I played with funky in hard mode, it's really one of the toughest levels. Was curious to see if I can do it with dk, but that was impossible for me, so I tried with the other Kongs and cleared the level with funky eventually, haha! But I will accept the challenge and try it again with Diddy :-D

Reila

Hey guys...

There was a problem fetching the tweet
My... my heart.

Dixie, Cranky, DK Logo, DK Barrel confirmed for Smash.

No, but really, this could mean something. If not for Smash, at least a new game featuring Dixie again.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I really hope it's a new DK Game, I mean everyone should know that Nintendo files trademarks regularly, so I won't get my hopes too high, but still...New DK game with k.rool and the Kremlins!!!

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I don't think that Retro is making the new DK game because of the Star fox Grand prix rumors and because of that interview where someone from the rabbids dk dlc team told something about a new DK ip team at Nintendo. But here is some concept art from Retro's tropical freeze, so looks like they still had many ideas!

Attachments

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't think that Retro is making the new DK game because of the Star fox Grand prix rumors and because of that interview where someone from the rabbids dk dlc team told something about a new DK ip team at Nintendo. But here is some concept art from Retro's tropical freeze, so looks like they still had many ideas!
Does that star fox rumour even have any credibility? I thought it was basically debunked when it was a no-show at e3

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Does that star fox rumour even have any credibility? I thought it was basically debunked when it was a no-show at e3
It could still be too early in development to be shown. Not every new game gets to be shown at E3. E3 was basically at least 65% about Smash Ultimate anyway. Fire Emblem Three Houses was also shown but that has been in development for quite some time. I still hope that game to be real honestly. I'd love for a Star Fox racing game, and if Retro is making it, there's hope for at least the inclusion of Diddy Kong to make a great nodback to Diddy Kong Racing. Futuristic Diddy Kong would be awesome to see, also this cutscene would be even more awesome in retrospect.

Yo, can't say you DON'T want that to happen. You'd be a terrible liar. And lying is bad for your spiritual development.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I think that GameXplain, Eurogamer and others said that they heard of it from a source even weeks before the information about Star fox grandpix went public, so they seem to back that rumor. It was also mentioned that the dk crew would be in the game, which would be really cool like Diddy Kong Diddy Kong said, a throwback to diddy kong racing.
The only thing that's fishy to me is that I don't quite understand why they would work on star fox now, I mean the last star fox game all didn't sell well and critics weren't that good either. Whereas DK last outings were critically acclaimed and sold well (even tropical freeze sold almost 2mil copies on the failed wiiU and the port on switch sold almost 300k copies first week according to vgchartz, which is quite impressive and a better opening than back then).
But to be honest, it would be really cool if Nintendo themselves would be in charge for the next entry of the dk franchise, maybe we will get our "DK Odyssey" or "DK breath of the wild" from them!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think that GameXplain, Eurogamer and others said that they heard of it from a source even weeks before the information about Star fox grandpix went public, so they seem to back that rumor. It was also mentioned that the dk crew would be in the game, which would be really cool like Diddy Kong Diddy Kong said, a throwback to diddy kong racing.
The only thing that's fishy to me is that I don't quite understand why they would work on star fox now, I mean the last star fox game all didn't sell well and critics weren't that good either. Whereas DK last outings were critically acclaimed and sold well (even tropical freeze sold almost 2mil copies on the failed wiiU and the port on switch sold almost 300k copies first week according to vgchartz, which is quite impressive and a better opening than back then).
But to be honest, it would be really cool if Nintendo themselves would be in charge for the next entry of the dk franchise, maybe we will get our "DK Odyssey" or "DK breath of the wild" from them!
I guess because Star Fox allows for more freedom as a racer than DKC without straight up copying Diddy Kong Racing, and even the unreleased Donkey Kong Racing. As well as the fact that PAON already did DK Barrel Blast, which is also a aerial based Donkey Kong racing game which utalised the Animal Buddies even. I could see why they would go for that route.

Besides, if the Kong Cast is included, it doesn't even matter all that much to me honestly. That's already great homage!

I also honestly would prefer a "DK Breath of the Wild" instead of a "DK Oddyssey", but I think a sort of mixture of both systems would be ideal. It obviously need to be a sort of collectathon, but the stamina system of BotW would allow for far more freedom in the DKC franchise. It would add a sort speed to the game, and more flashiness, and potentially even a sort of 'beat 'em up' theme, which was already sort of a thing in the Return games, and Jungle Beat.

A stamina system similar to Breath of the Wild could function for tons of things. Charge up attacks for example, a obligationary punch for Donkey Kong with added power, a charged cartwheel for Diddy that rushes through enemies, and the Helicopter Spin duration of Dixie. Also could be used to prolong the iconic Hand Slap attack and it's power. It could also allow for double stomping enemies, or stomping them with more power and / or style.

Exploration would also go really well with Donkey Kong Country, think of DK64, but being as big as it SHOULD be. DK Island is huge, has lot of different enviorments and potential wild life based on them and it just would work well. I guess a little more linearity than Zelda BotW would be appropriate, and I doubt an island should be as big as a full country as Hyrule, but you get my point.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Diddy Kong Diddy Kong
I would love an open world dk, I mean I do love the country games, they're amazing, but it's time that Nintendo makes DK big again! There was a time when the dk series was bigger than zelda series in terms of sales and popularity, but I have that feeling that Nintendo doesn't want DK to be a triple a franchise...

Last edited:
Top Bottom