• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid (Sort Of) New Tech. Suction Bombs!

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
So it's happened to all of us: You hit your opponent with a splat bomb and dash forward to follow up, only to realize that they've actually been sent flying towards you and have just gone right over your head. You think "wow that would be useful if it didn't happen randomly". Well have I got news for you. Not only is it not random, this technique (which I'm calling the suction bomb) can actually be done consistently.

Before I get into how to do it, I need to explain what's happening, or at least my best guess at what's happening. For starters, smash is a 3D game. This means that its possible for moves to whiff because their hitbox is in front or behind a hurtbox. It just so happens that the splat bomb has a very tiny hitbox. This means that the splat bomb can actually MISS the front of a character and hit their back. Then, when the bomb explodes, the game thinks they've been hit in the back, and launches them forward.

So with this in mind, how do you actually do the tech? Well, it's character dependent, but the general rule of thumb is to aim for the legs. Jump into training mode against Chrom on any omega stage. If you throw a fully charged splat bomb at him, you'll notice that it phases through his front leg and hits his back leg, launching him forward.

Of course, your opponent usually isn't standing still in a match, so how can you apply this against people? There are two ways I've found. The first way is catching landing lag. Some landing animations have openings where a bomb can slip through to a character's back. It requires a pretty hard read though.

The second and far more useful way to use suction bombs is roller follow ups. Almost everyone's bury pose as a window where a splat bomb can become a suction bomb, usually around their forehead. Mario's is the biggest from my experience.

Here's some stuff you could pull off if you mastered this:
  • suction bomb -> Usmash
  • suction bomb -> Footstool -> Roller tech chase
  • suction bomb -> Sweetspot dair
You can also extend the combo with platforms. Pretty sure suction bomb -> grab might be a thing on some stages

If you have any questions or I missed something, please tell me.

Top Bottom