• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry for crashing Smashboards. I'm Zipzo. I played the release build demo of Smash 4. AMA!

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

Jesus castro

Smash Rookie
hmm so wario does not appear in the starting roster. Does that mean he will be need to be unlocked? Weird. He was in the starting roster in Brawl

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
People will have to get used to it but to me it really seems like they've put a big focus on utilizing counter more because of how strong it is.
Hmm. Counter as a strength for Marth could be interesting, but it's not too rare of an ability. Did you get any impressions of how it stacks up other characters' similar moves like Shulk, Ike, Little Mac, Palutena, or anyone else?

It wouldn't be too interesting if one of his main strengths is matched by others, especially ones that sound as strong as Shulk and Palutena.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

What exactly are Robin's alt hair colors? I'm probably only the millionth one to ask you, so sorry in advance.
I remember green, blonde, pink, red (I'm colorblind so bear with me on the mixups).

Memor3x

Smash Cadet
NNID
Memor3x
3DS FC
5086-3209-8758
Did you play as greninja at all? Interested in his movement abilities because he reminds me of sheik in pokemon form.

Last edited:

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883
@Zipzo

Did you see if Robin had Thunder and Dark versions of his jabs?

Exactly. I used to always remind myself that I'll be satisfied with the game no matter what, but I don't know anymore. Large blast zones, extremely fast rolling and shield dropping, no dash dancing, combos become near impossible too early IMO, still somewhat floaty air physics...
Personally I think you're fretting way too much about a game you haven't played. Zipzo and various people went to all the events that demoed Smash have not reported not being satisfied with the gameplay, but ended up even more hyped about it then they came in. If their were any real serious problems you would have heard all about it by now. Not to say the Smash 4 will perfect but evidence is clearly pointing much of it's good out-weighting it's bad by far. Furthermore some of those complaints are fairly nebulous at best. Just take whatever the game offers as comes and calm down.

Last edited:

NeroRevolver

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeroRevolver
It seems to me that all of Megamans smash attacks have a TON of cool-down and recovery frames, more so than majority of the cast. Especially his upSmash.

What is Megaman's go to attack for KO-ing?

Memor3x

Smash Cadet
NNID
Memor3x
3DS FC
5086-3209-8758
It seems to me that all of Megamans smash attacks have a TON of cool-down and recovery frames, more so than majority of the cast. Especially his upSmash.

His down smash is crazy strong. Can KO around 80% from what i've seen in multiple videos.

D

Deleted member 245254

Megaman feels like a zoning character who comes in for the kill either occasionally when the opportunity arised (fair) or off-stage for a gimp (meteor smash). Down smash is really strong if people get in your grill.

I think learning his meteor smash will be important due to the large blast zones.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireFrost

Smash Rookie
I want to say that it is largely the same, but I only saw it once, used against me from someone else and my memory isn't very good on what happened but I don't remember being shocked and surprised.
Thank you so much for replying! You are so nice and kind to take your time to give us information. And if you see her FS again just let us know.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
I remember green, blonde, pink, red (I'm colorblind so bear with me on the mixups).
I'm surprised there's no blue. I expected there to be Red/Pink, some shade of blue, Yellow/Blonde, and some shade of green, just like the player slots with P1 being red, P2 being blue, etc., and then the same on fem!Robin

D

Deleted member 245254

What is peach's down smash? Is it better. Please tell me you know this Zipzo.
It doesn't have the melee knockback. It is a multi-hit ability now that drags them in and hits them for a few hits then shoves them off. The range of the ability is actually visible now with a small circular air wave around the circumference of her dress.

If you didn't get the idea, it's the same as the old one, animation wise.

TerumiLOLZ

Smash Apprentice
I really want to ask, I'm sorry if you posted this before.

Your opinions on Wii Fit Trainer?

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
It doesn't have the melee knockback. It is a multi-hit ability now that drags them in and hits them for a few hits then shoves them off. The range of the ability is actually visible now with a small circular air wave around the circumference of her dress.

If you didn't get the idea, it's the same as the old one, animation wise.
But it has better knock back? If so, then YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NeroRevolver

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeroRevolver
Megaman feels like a zoning character who comes in for the kill either occasionally when the opportunity arised (fair) or off-stage for a gimp (meteor smash). Down smash is really strong if people get in your grill.

I think learning his meteor smash will be important due to the large blast zones.
Thanks for that, can his standard A (lemon blast) be used for gimping? Does it cause in amount of hitstun? I always thought it would be rather good and almost broken if it did.

D

Deleted member 245254

But it has better knock back? If so, then YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't really describe it as "knockback". You'll have to test the move yourself to understand, I think in this case.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I have a question to Zipzo: have you seen any assist trophies that haven't been officially revealed yet?
He can't remember it all, and he often play without items.

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883
I'm surprised there's no blue. I expected there to be Red/Pink, some shade of blue, Yellow/Blonde, and some shade of green, just like the player slots with P1 being red, P2 being blue, etc., and then the same on fem!Robin
Sakurai really wanted to avoid having another blue-haired swordsman/woman. :p

TheCarterFitz

Smash Rookie
While using PAC-MAN, how well can you control him while in classic form? Can PAC-MAN control his direction well while in classic form, and how well?

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
@Zipzo

Did you see if Robin had Thunder and Dark versions of his jabs?

Personally I think you're fretting way too much about a game you haven't played. Zipzo and various people went to all the events that demoed Smash have not reported not being satisfied with the gameplay, but ended up even more hyped about it then they came in. If their were any real serious problems you would have heard all about it by now. Not to say the Smash 4 will perfect but evidence is clearly pointing much of it's good out-weighting it's bad by far. Furthermore some of those complaints are fairly nebulous at best. Just take whatever the game offers as comes and calm down.
Still not convinced. I guess I'll just have to wait to get my hands on the game. I was one of the more optimistic people for this game, but I'm just paranoid and unimpressed right now.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai really wanted to avoid having another blue-haired swordsman/woman. :p
Actually, word is there is blue. Per the Robin forums (which is per somewhere else):

Male: Silver, Blue, Green, Black
Female: Silver, Red, Pink, Blonde

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
In the E3 demo, every veteran minus Bowser had their victory theme ripped from Brawl. Could you tell today if that was still the case?

D

Deleted member 245254

Still not convinced. I guess I'll just have to wait to get my hands on the game. I was one of the more optimistic people for this game, but I'm just paranoid and unimpressed right now.
I definitely think it's paranoia.

The change in mechanics (IE feel) of the game and playing with its new engine is more akin to the huge switch between 64 and Melee, and less like Melee > Brawl.

The engine is different, this needs to be emphasized. It creates a really fresh experience while playing the new game.

D

Deleted member 245254

Actually, word is there is blue. Per the Robin forums (which is per somewhere else):

Male: Silver, Blue, Green, Black
Female: Silver, Red, Pink, Blonde
Yeah I might be being biased towards the female colors with my memory...as I've said before color questions remain the most difficult to answer.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Oh, I don't use Lucario at all, but I never saw it answered. Does his Up Special deal damage? I'm going to guess yes bc in the April direct video it seems to deal damage to WFT
~21:00 if the timestamp doesn't work for you

D

Deleted member 245254

(He must not know the answer to my question, I'll just let it go)
1. There's a paper mario stage. That's it though.

2. Couldn't hear much at the location but I believe the voice cast was the same as previous games (for the Japanese verison).

3. Custom moves were not unlocked at the event.

TheCarterFitz

Smash Rookie
:4olimar:Did Alph have different sound than Olimar? And what do you think of the possibly of Olimar to have Louie, Brittany, and Charlie alternate skins as well?:4olimar:

-Carter:4pacman:

MattTheGameFreak

Smash Apprentice
It's likely a fruitless question, based off of your previous responses regarding Ike; but did you notice if he still had his Meteor Smash down-tilt (pretty much an instant KO if it connects onto a recovering opponent), his reverse Aether (up-B, grabbing the edge, while facing away from the stage, forcing your opponent into oblivion), and did his side-B work like Brawl or Project M? Also... do his aerials still cancel when used too close to the ground?

Also, regarding Shulk do you think his range, slightly faster speed, and his ability to focus power with his modes will overshadow Ike's range and power?

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
1. There's a paper mario stage. That's it though.

2. Couldn't hear much at the location but I believe the voice cast was the same as previous games (for the Japanese version).

3. Custom moves were not unlocked at the event.
That makes sense. I bet there was a lot of noise!
BTW, like I asked and you maybe accidentally forgot to look at, will you be able make videos of the music tracks in the game? It would be wonderful to have more music, and I am sure others would want some direct feed tracks also. I have a link in my previous post in which if you would lik eot post the music tracks. But if there are legal technicalities, I undertsand. I would be nice for a definite answer either way though :)

D

Deleted member 245254

:4olimar:Did Alph have different sound than Olimar? And what do you think of the possibly of Olimar to have Louie, Brittany, and Charlie alternate skins as well?:4olimar:

No very high, considering all 8 skins for Olimar consist of 4 Olimar skins and 4 Alph skins.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
His new dash attack is just a roll, although it hits multiple times now before shoving your opponent off.
Dash Attack ended with a side kick in the SDCC/E3 demo, so I think you might have it and the Spin Dash confused a bit. I definitely noticed that the Spin Dash hits twice when you jump during it from the Smash-Fest footage. So you hit a foe directly with the spin dash for 1 hit, then perform the jump for 2 more hits.

The Dash Attack has Sonic go into a spin for multiple hits, then he breaks the spin to send the foe off with a kick. The kick at the end looks similar to Fox's Dash Attack. That is, it's a side kick.

He only has Olimar and Alph alts. Specifically, 4 of his colours are Olimar, and 4 of them are Alph.

D

Deleted member 245254

Dash Attack ended with a side kick in the SDCC/E3 demo, so I think you might have it and the Spin Dash confused a bit. I definitely noticed that the Spin Dash hits twice when you jump during it from the Smash-Fest footage. So you hit a foe directly with the spin dash for 1 hit, then perform the jump for 2 more hits.

The Dash Attack has Sonic go into a spin for multiple hits, then he breaks the spin to send the foe off with a kick. The kick at the end looks similar to Fox's Dash Attack. That is, it's a side kick.

He only has Olimar and Alph alts. Specifically, 4 of his colours are Olimar, and 4 of them are Alph.
Umm...you might be right. Tbh it's all meshing together in my head at this point.

An aerial is almost always possible on a victim of the spin jump. Usually.

Kick doesn't really make me think of Fox's kick though, he's more closer to the ground, like sliding on it.

Zipzo, my only question is:

Will we enjoy the game?
I'm trying to be as factual in my recollection of the game as possible and questions like these aren't really conducive to that so I've avoided answering them. It's all subjective, you know?

I greatly enjoyed the game and I'm frothing at the mouth to get it permanently in my hands so I can start training.

If you don't enjoy it then it's because you are probably set in your ways in being unable to accept the absense of Melee physics or ATs. If you are open minded about game design and are willing to accept a fresh new experience that changes the way Smash plays, this is going to be a pretty hype game.

Top Bottom