• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry for crashing Smashboards. I'm Zipzo. I played the release build demo of Smash 4. AMA!

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
@Zipzo does Sonic still say when his side taunt is activated does he say "Super Sonic Style!" or "Your too Slow"?

btw I heard you were a Sonic Main. if you have any info you would like to share with up please go to my thread. (link in my signature)

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
@Zipzo does Sonic still say when his side taunt is activated does he say "Super Sonic Style!" or "Your too Slow"?

btw I heard you were a Sonic Main. if you have any info you would like to share with up please go to my thread. (link in my signature)
Japanese version, so no English voice acting. Secondly, his new side taunt in the E3/SDCC demo was "Sonic speed!" "Super Sonic style!" was his Final Smash quote.

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
So every character has 8 skins/colors. Does this demo have all 8 colors and skins for everyone? Or are there some characters that only have 4 or 6 colors, hinting to more in the final game?
From what it seems it looks like they were actually playing the final game cuz you could back out and stuff to other modes.

Also just want to add that apparently Little Mac is the only one to not follow the 8 costume rule because he alone (so far) has 16 costume/palette swaps. 8 for regular and 8 for wireframe.

But no everyone will have at least 8 except Little Mac so far who has 16.

Last edited:

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I'm assuming, judging by Zipso's first post, that the landing lag has been improved from the E3 build?

I did noticed in the E3 build that landing lag was a huge issue since the majority of air attacks had lots of lag. I don't know about the final build. Can someone confirm this for me?

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I'm assuming, judging by Zipso's first post, that the landing lag has been improved from the E3 build?

I did noticed in the E3 build that landing lag was a huge issue since the majority of air attacks had lots of lag. I don't know about the final build. Can someone confirm this for me?
Eh, even in the E3 build most characters had 1 or 2 options that had very little landing lag or had generous auto-cancel windows. And yeah, it's gotten much lower since on many moves. That said, most characters still have a couple aerials that suffer landing lag (Falcon's FAir and DAir, DK's FAir, Mario's FAir), but of course landing lag is actually a balance point.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945

It has been confirmed several times that every single character has lagless options while some moves have lag to compensate and balance it (ex falcons knee). Hearing that has got me super hyped :D

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
Hi Zipso, I would love to know any more info on Diddy Kong you have:

I understand he's now limited to 1 Banana, I'd like to know if he received any compensation (bonus power budget) elsewhere in his kit for the Banana Nerf? How is his landing lag, how does he feel different from Brawl, where are the glaring buffs/nerfs?

Additionally, any tips for playing as Little Mac? I wanna pown-face at the midnight release tournaments with him... do you think he's a strong pick for going in blind? Ground-play seems far more prevalent in this installment based on your assessments so far... does that sound accurate?

Better yet, who do you think would be the best pick to win a first-time 'going into the game blind' Tourney?

Last edited:

tommykittycat

Smash Rookie
NNID
tommykittycat
3DS FC
3823-8531-0161
Is swimming in the final build of the game? I know it wasn't in the e3 build on Tortimer Island, but I was wondering if it hadn't been implemented at that time or if it's been removed completely from these games.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
That really sucks about the blast zones. It looks like matches are going to drag on...

And I still don't think that rolls being faster is a good thing.

Spiderfog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spiderfog
3DS FC
4425-1483-7986
Is swimming in the final build of the game? I know it wasn't in the e3 build on Tortimer Island, but I was wondering if it hadn't been implemented at that time or if it's been removed completely from these games.
Swimming is not in the game. He said this in his AMA live stream.

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883
So the stream happened on twitch, but there's nothing listed in past broadcasts? Was it taken down or something?
I have the same question myself.

Anyway, I would really like to also express my thanks to Zipzo (and his lovely wife fro the matter) for going through of getting this info community while balancing your own time with the game. You have done us a great service

Was any new information on Lucina discovered at all??
Lucina is not in the demo.

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
I took some notes during the streaming, I think there may be some new info (sorry for the bad grammar, I'm not a native speaker. I could also have misheard something). I also missed some parts, please understand.
  • Marth's f-air lasts longer (which is why you can't SHDF anymore), but doesn't have huge landing lag.
    • Tippers have an explosion-like animation and still have amazing knockback (as much as before).
    • Range is shorter.
    • His running speed is higher than in Brawl.
    • Dancing Blade still feels the same.
    • Being thinner than other characters, he was sometimes hard to see on the original 3DS.
    • N-air and b-air have very little landing lag, so they can be short hopped.
    • He has the same colours he had before, plus the new orange one.
    • His d-air can still spike.
So does this mean a lot of the initial Marth impressions were a bit exaggerated? It made it seem as though he was completely gutted as a character, would like a confirmation on this.

I'm also curious if Marth's perceived shorter range is as a result of playing on a 3DS for one reason or another, as from what I've seen it didn't appear to be as apparent on Wii U, I could be mistaken though.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I saw @Zipzo live stream.... everybody was asking repeat and too complicated questions. Come on guys! The new game is coming out really soon so the details you should go find it yourself!

Last edited:

Triblaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Triblaze0
The hype is real. So stoked for this game now. Thanks for all the great info from everyone that played the demo build. I think all my questions were answered from reading 17 pages of Q&A. Only a couple days till the 3DS Japan release.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The hype is real. So stoked for this game now. Thanks for all the great info from everyone that played the demo build. I think all my questions were answered from reading 17 pages of Q&A. Only a couple days till the 3DS Japan release.
No prob! Can't wait for this game!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Please what does AMA mean?
Ask Me Anything. c:

Anyway...did you find any other Xenoblade content in-game aside from what we already know?

Is Zelda still getting the short end of the stick as a character?

Any tips for using Rosalina and Luma?

Also the only alt-related question I'll ask. I know you said no shirtless Link or Ike alts...is there a shirtless Captain Falcon alt? .........
/hides

Last edited:

FireFrost

Smash Rookie
I apologize if this was already been answered. (There's just to many post to be able to keep up.)

I know Peach's final smash is the same, but is there any differences in it at all?

AccordionChick

Smash Rookie
I apologize if this has already been asked & answered, but was Kirby's Villager form revealed? I'm really curious to how that looks.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I apologize if this was already been answered. (There's just to many post to be able to keep up.)

I know Peach's final smash is the same, but is there any differences in it at all?
I think someone said her Final smash is the game, don't quote me on that though.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
oh my god marth is getting nerfed??? oh no thats bad news for me...

a question on shulk, he was described as a slightly faster ike. any more specific character speed comparison? is he like in between marth and ike or something

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Is Zelda still getting the short end of the stick as a character?

Also the only alt-related question I'll ask. I know you said no shirtless Link or Ike alts...is there a shirtless Captain Falcon alt? .........
/hides
Notes on Zelda:
— Farore's Wind is hugely buffed. It auto-sweetspots ledges now, has faster startup and shorter endlag, and seems to travel further and faster. Also, the wind ribbon that appears on startup launches foes upwards with what seems to be set knockback. If you aim your teleport upwards, you'll reappear right on top of them for a second hit. Speaking of the hit she does when she reappears, it has massively buffed knockback, being a highly-powerful KO move. And if you hit with the startup burst, you'll be right near the upper blast line when you land that second hit, so it can KO at very reasonable percentages.

— It seems her USmash and FSmash can no longer be escaped via SDI, but they appear to have reduced kill power on the final hit. (Not that this actually matters, since in Brawl it was so easy to SDI out of them that in a competitive setting they may as well have had no kill power at all.)

— DSmash appears to have a little more reach than in Brawl (she just extends her leg farther out).

— UTilt is no longer a kill move, instead being a juggler like many other characters' UTilts.

— FTilt has surprisingly high launch power (at least in the E3/SDCC demo) and seems significantly faster than in Brawl. It almost seems like it might have more kill power than FSmash.

— FAir and BAir seem easier to sweetspot. They deal slightly less damage (18-20%) but it seems like their knockback may have been buffed. They also have very little landing lag.

— I read somewhere that Nayru's Love was "less laggy" than it was in Brawl, at least in the SDCC/E3 demo. Not sure if the poster was referring to startup, endlag, or both, however. One thing is for sure, in the E3/SDCC demo, its multiple hits have a vacuum effect, pulling foes in before spitting them out on the last hit.

— Din's Fire has a weaker outer hitbox, making it non-viable to spam it due to the low knockback. However, there's a sweetspot at the centre that apparently has pretty good kill power and deals very slightly more damage. Oh yeah, its damage output is greatly nerfed, with the sweetspot dealing 9% by my recollection. (Info for this section is based on footage from the E3/SDCC demos.) Apparently it detonates instantly when you release B, however (this as of the demo Zipzo played).

— Phantom (her new Down Special) doesn't hit immediately in front of Zelda; it actually appears about a character length away. She can only have a single Phantom on the field at a time, so she has to wait for it to despawn before she can summon another. Zipzo noted that it seems more useful as a defensive move than as an attack. In the E3/SDCC demo, its charge time looked disproportionately long for a non-storable projectile, given how short-ranged and slow it was uncharged.

Edit: As for Falcon, he's only got recolours. No shirtless alt for you!

Last edited:

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
^any add'l notes on Diddy besides Banana Nerf? I heard he's a little stronger & his uB is better... but I'm worried for single 'nana.

Knighto

Smash Rookie
Were you able to notice if sheik seemed to have a good combo game? Like can f-tilt and dash attack lead to a f-air?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Another question, Kirby-related: what does Kirby look like and do when he copies Villager and Shulk? (Was this answered already?)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Notes on Zelda:
— Farore's Wind is hugely buffed. It auto-sweetspots ledges now, has faster startup and shorter endlag, and seems to travel further and faster. Also, the wind ribbon that appears on startup launches foes upwards with what seems to be set knockback. If you aim your teleport upwards, you'll reappear right on top of them for a second hit. Speaking of the hit she does when she reappears, it has massively buffed knockback, being a highly-powerful KO move. And if you hit with the startup burst, you'll be right near the upper blast line when you land that second hit, so it can KO at very reasonable percentages.

— It seems her USmash and FSmash can no longer be escaped via SDI, but they appear to have reduced kill power on the final hit. (Not that this actually matters, since in Brawl it was so easy to SDI out of them that in a competitive setting they may as well have had no kill power at all.)

— DSmash appears to have a little more reach than in Brawl (she just extends her leg farther out).

— UTilt is no longer a kill move, instead being a juggler like many other characters' UTilts.

— FTilt has surprisingly high launch power (at least in the E3/SDCC demo) and seems significantly faster than in Brawl. It almost seems like it might have more kill power than FSmash.

— FAir and BAir seem easier to sweetspot. They deal slightly less damage (18-20%) but it seems like their knockback may have been buffed. They also have very little landing lag.

— I read somewhere that Nayru's Love was "less laggy" than it was in Brawl, at least in the SDCC/E3 demo. Not sure if the poster was referring to startup, endlag, or both, however. One thing is for sure, in the E3/SDCC demo, its multiple hits have a vacuum effect, pulling foes in before spitting them out on the last hit.

— Din's Fire has a weaker outer hitbox, making it non-viable to spam it due to the low knockback. However, there's a sweetspot at the centre that apparently has pretty good kill power and deals very slightly more damage. Oh yeah, its damage output is greatly nerfed, with the sweetspot dealing 9% by my recollection. (Info for this section is based on footage from the E3/SDCC demos.) Apparently it detonates instantly when you release B, however (this as of the demo Zipzo played).

— Phantom (her new Down Special) doesn't hit immediately in front of Zelda; it actually appears about a character length away. She can only have a single Phantom on the field at a time, so she has to wait for it to despawn before she can summon another. Zipzo noted that it seems more useful as a defensive move than as an attack. In the E3/SDCC demo, its charge time looked disproportionately long for a non-storable projectile, given how short-ranged and slow it was uncharged.

Edit: As for Falcon, he's only got recolours. No shirtless alt for you!
Hai :p I know this may be a little too much to ask, but if you don't mind, would you be able to summarize Peach? o:

D

Deleted member

I read earlier that Zipzo said she was the same as in Brawl but her turnip pull was slower while some of her other attacks were buffed or the animation was faster.
I know :p I was just wondering if anyone could give a more specific summary about Peach :p

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I initially didn't care about the blast zone things because I'm gimp focused anyways but I'm starting to empathize with others. They should definitely be smaller if characters can survive at much higher percents (as mentioned on stream).

Doc.Pringles

Smash Cadet
Outside of a few outliers, the front page remains the most updated literature we have. Give it some rest guys, it's 10am in Japan now, we'll be getting new info shortly.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I know :p I was just wondering if anyone could give a more specific summary about Peach :p
I don't remember everything, but I do recall that her side B has very little start up. It probably doesn't even take half the time to execute compared to the other games. Along with that, I believe I heard Zip say that either her up aerial or up tilt (maybe both?) have much more horizontal range than before. I'm not a Peach main, but I hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Hai :p I know this may be a little too much to ask, but if you don't mind, would you be able to summarize Peach? o:
lol accidentally hit "like" instead of "reply". Never mind though, not a big deal. Anywho, on the subject of Peach, that's a little harder because we don't have any footage of her to work off of, only word of mouth from Zipzo and others.

— Pulling up a turnip is laggy, according to Zipzo. This will likely make them less spammable from a distance, but I suspect that staying close enough to re-grab will probably let her spam the darn things as much as she wants, like her turnip game in Melee.
— DSmash has an air wave GFX around Peach's feet to show where the hitbox extends. The attack's multiple hits suck the foe in, then the last hit launches them back out.
— Zipzo says it seems like Peach's FSmash always rotates through her weapons in the same order: Golf club > tennis racket > frying pan, IIRC. (I'm a little iffy on the order of the first two, but I definitely remember that the frying pan was last.)
— Her new UAir is a juggle move from what I've heard. According to Zipzo it has an arcing hitbox overhead.
— According to Zipzo, Peach Bomber (Side Special) has next to no startup time.

And unfortunately, that's about all I've got on Peach. If she'd been playable at E3/SDCC, I'd probably have a lot more to say on the matter.

Back on the subject of Zelda for a bit, it seems like her increased range with Down Smash might be partly attributed to a height increase relative to other members of the cast. Mainly what I noticed was that Fox was having significant difficulty getting past that move on the ground. If he went for a Dash Attack, she'd just DSmash him from outside his range. Attempts at a dashing USmash were met similarly, and honestly it looked like her DSmash's reach was about on par with his FTilt (like maybe he could sneak an FTilt in with perfect spacing, but it'd be difficult). She could probably even stop Fox's FSmash with it by timing it properly; her DSmash comes out pretty darn fast. I think she stopped a Fox Illusion with it once, too, but don't quote me on that. She also cornered him somewhat near the edge of the screen on Colosseum and KO'd him with a (very) stale DSmash at 90%.

Top Bottom