• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soren, The Silent Master of Wind

HairMythe

Smash Cadet
I'm a long time Soren fan, and the first time I played Brawl and saw Ike playable, I wished I could play the wind mage as well, but also knew it would never happen. So I'm most baffled at him being suggested by Neogaf's leak, and honestly don't believe he's in. But he had no thread, and there's no bad speculation subject after all, so I figured I'd take the initiative.

Who is Soren ?

Soren first appeared in Fire Emblem : Path of Radiance as this game first mage unit. He is one of the Greil mercenaries, the group strategist, and effectively Ike's right hand. Although he is mostly asocial and has a rather cynical character, he considers Ike is only friend, and expresses an unwavering loyalty to him throughout the games. He has a very logical and practical viewpoint, and as such, usualy suggests decisions that would benefit the mercenaries the most, even if it may be detrimental to others. However, he is highly regarded for his strategies, especialy by Ike who considers him an essential part of the Greil mercenaries thanks to that.

How would he enter Smash ?

Soren would be Robin's Echo. They actually have a lot in common ; they both assume the main strategist role of their respective armies, are mages, and they are very close to their leader, namely Ike and Chrom. They are slightly different classes in the games, however, Soren could still use the same arsenal. He can use the three anima magics from the start just like Robin, and when he promotes, he can gain the ability to wield knives, which would replace Robin's Sword. He can't use Nosferatu, but Robin cannot either as a tactician unit, so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to be able to do the same. Do note that, aside from the knives, is most prevalent gameplay difference with Robin is his signature magic being Wind and not Thunder.

A lot holding him back, or rather, not much pushing him in.

Indeed, he is easily one of the strangest part of Neogaf's leak, if not the strangest. He isn't a popular request, at best a good surprise for Tellius fans that wouldn't even dare ask for him. In his game, although he is a pretty important characters, he actually doesn't have a starring role like Robin or Lucina does. He isn't pushed by a villain theme like the Black Knight either. The only thing he has going for him is being a rather good candidate echo for Robin. However he isn't actually the only one, as Celica has been considered the most obvious choice for that role, and even a strong contendent for a FE rep, long before we ever heard of echoes.

So, here's open the thread for that unlikely character. Have fun discussing him.

Edit : Neogaf's leak for reference sake.
Hello again everyone.
I wanted to share the missing information with you all that I got for the game's final characters.

2 out of the 7 newcomers are already confirmed and here are the final ones.

- K Rool (already confirmed)
- Simon Belmont (already confirmed)
- Isaac (is on his way)
- Monster Hunter (is still in development which is the reason why he wasn't confirmed today)
- Terra from the Final Fantasy Series
- Another Bandai Namco character
- Prince Sable from "For the Frog the Bell Tolls"

Coming to the Echo Fighter there are people who didn't understand the system behind my information. The 2 "X" that were left were indeed Dark Samus und Richter. It was the amount of characters I got information on for the time being. And I didn't include characters like Inkling,Ridley and Daisy since they were already officially confirmed at that point. Since people doubted it I only wanted to share information again when some of the characters I called were finally confirmed.
There will be no more "X" this time since I wanted to make sure that everyone is named.

With that said there will indeed be more Echo Fighters than I anticipated before.

- Chrom based on Roy (already confirmed)
- Soren based on Robin (still on his way)
- Dark Samus based on Samus (already confirmed)
- Richter based on Simon (already confirmed)
- Ken based on Ryu (still on his way)
- Shadow the Hedgehog based on Sonic (still on his way)
- Felix based on Isaac(will be revealed together with Isaac like Simon was with Richter)
- Isabelle based on Villager (still on her way)
- Galacta Knight based on Meta Knight (still on his way)

As for the Bandai Namco character, it's the only one left I don't know about. I will update it if I get my hands on that information.
That's it for the main roster. I don't know if there are any plans for DLC but since Super Smash Bros for the Wii U had DLC you can most likely expect it here as well.

This post will be deleted soon as well. And again, take it or leave it.

Last edited:

xNaz

Smash Cadet
Wasn't this dude in a recent leak? What were the details on that?

Last edited:

HairMythe

Smash Cadet
I added the leak in question to the first post, as I wouldn't have made the thread anyways if it wasn't floating around.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The leak sounds like BS to me. He's not that popular in Japan and he's even less so in the US.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm not interested in him as a Robin echo. He'd be cool as an alt costume for Merric, Lewyn, or the like, or vice versa.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's possible they added him as an echo just because he could fit the role, and an extra mage.

You wrote that he can't learn thunder though. And seems to me like he can use thunder tomes? It even says he as B proficiency here. Oh nevermind you said it's the signature. Yeah the signature is wind.
Screenshot 2018-08-22 13.30.05.jpg

Last edited:

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
While Soren is cool and all, what I kinda want to see Arvis just because wow factor of the guy as a villain. But I wouldn't be against Soren.
It's possible they added him as an echo just because he could fit the role, and an extra mage.

You wrote that he can't learn thunder though. And seems to me like he can use thunder tomes? It even says he as B proficiency here. Oh nevermind you said it's the signature. Yeah the signature is wind.
View attachment 159124
Perhaps he meant Swords?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
While Soren is cool and all what I kinda want to see Arvis just because wow factor of the guy as a villain. But I wouldn't be against Soren.

Perhaps he meant Swords?
No I just thought he said he can't learn Thunder, but he was only talking about the signature magic. Robin's thunder, and Soren's wind.
I don't think it means much, since both can use all of them. And Soren can't have swords, but can have knives.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I really love Soren. He was one of the best things about PoR and RD. Him being a Robin echo would be a bit strange but I can roll with it I guess. There's no chance he's actually in but on the offhand chance it occurs, I will be hyped.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Btw, the leak in the OP is the second version of the leak, which was technically posted by a different account and therefore could have been a different person. The original leak just said Simon and K. Rool (getting revealed "soon"), Isaac, Chrom (as an echo of Roy, which is why it was considered credible), Soren, Ken, no new Pokemon, no new LoZ characters, and a Final Fantasy/Square Enix character.

But I still doubt even the original version, because "no new Pokemon" would conflict with Vergeben, and "no new LoZ characters" would conflict with loz18 and just the general likelihood of Skull Kid.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Soren just can't work as an echo, he doesn't use a sword and him shooting lighting from a knife would be weird.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Soren just can't work as an echo, he doesn't use a sword and him shooting lighting from a knife would be weird.
Chrom doesn't have fire effects. It's easy to change some effects for others too.
My idea was that since he's a Wind Sage, there could be wind effects instead.

Really, I don't know about this leak, but I will say that having thought about it I love the idea of a wind based mage, it would be cool.
And considering how many pokemon we have, what if they actually decided not to add a new pokemon for now and it'll be DLC, it's not impossible.

But really it's just an interesting pick. Curious to see what comes about.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Chrom doesn't have fire effects. It's easy to change some effects for others too.
My idea was that since he's a Wind Sage, there could be wind effects instead.

Really, I don't know about this leak, but I will say that having thought about it I love the idea of a wind based mage, it would be cool.
And considering how many pokemon we have, what if they actually decided not to add a new pokemon for now and it'll be DLC, it's not impossible.

But really it's just an interesting pick. Curious to see what comes about.
Even if the effects are changed, you still have the issue with the knife since it's nowhere near the size of Robin's Levin Sword.

Unless are suggesting he should still use it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Even if the effects are changed, you still have the issue with the knife since it's nowhere near the size of Robin's Levin Sword.

Unless are suggesting he should still use it.
There's different ways to do it, I mean it depends how they want to change the character.

1) A new type of knife that's the same size. This is what some of the posts suggested, as an 'adjusted' knife.
2) Smaller knife but hitboxes are the same as robin, but with 'light' wind effects, and then 'heavy' wind effects all around for smashes (including in the air)
3) Change the hitbox, to be smaller, since it's a a smaller weapon, and make magic more powerful to compensate for a-attacks not being as good.

Last edited:

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Soren is an interesting figure(I dont like him, I feel jealous over ike) and I love tellius but they wouldnt pick a tellius character from pleathora of more recent ones so the question is why soren over someone like celica or even micaiah? Smash wii u passed radiant dawn with two songs and new ike look, I doubt that they will ever return to tellius. Maybe someone in dev team was a path of radiance fan and he also brought back old ike sprite and soren? ^^

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Soren is hands down one of mine favourite characters in the Fire Emblem series. That said, I'd be ecstatic if he made it in. However, if we did get a Tellius newcomer, I don't see him getting in before Micaiah or the Black Knight.

Soren is practically mine right hand man in Fire Emblem Heroes. Bluntly put, he's a speedy glass cannon. If I'm dealing with a close-range unit, I usually have Soren blow them away with Wind's Brand, then drag him back if he's in range of another unit. It's a cheap tactic, but boy does it work.

Top Bottom