• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
A couple years ago, I've been disruptive to this thread and asking it to be shut down because Sora is owned by Disney. Not wanting to get banned on SmashBoards, I left this thread alone and took it out on YouTube comments.

But now that Sora is in Smash, I must apologize for my earlier behavior. If it weren't for this sites rules about fourth-party characters, I would never have acted so aggressive to the idea of Sora4Smash. As a fellow Kingdom Hearts fan, it really hurt me to bash Sora the way I did. But it's actually pretty awesome to see Disney in Smash. Even though it's just Sora, the original characters, Hollow Bastion, Dive to the Heart, the Mickey Mouse keychain and a Disney credit, it's still Disney in Smash. I wonder if this opens the floodgates for the next Smash game? After all, we already got an anime movie character with Lucario.

Anyway, can't wait to play as him on October 18. And I can't wait for the chance to talk to Sakurai about putting one of my book characters in the next Smash game.

Never going to doubt anyone's chances in Smash again!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A couple years ago, I've been disruptive to this thread and asking it to be shut down because Sora is owned by Disney. Not wanting to get banned on SmashBoards, I left this thread alone and took it out on YouTube comments.

But now that Sora is in Smash, I must apologize for my earlier behavior. If it weren't for this sites rules about fourth-party characters, I would never have acted so aggressive to the idea of Sora4Smash. As a fellow Kingdom Hearts fan, it really hurt me to bash Sora the way I did. But it's actually pretty awesome to see Disney in Smash. Even though it's just Sora, the original characters, Hollow Bastion, Dive to the Heart, the Mickey Mouse keychain and a Disney credit, it's still Disney in Smash. I wonder if this opens the floodgates for the next Smash game? After all, we already got an anime movie character with Lucario.

Anyway, can't wait to play as him on October 18. And I can't wait for the chance to talk to Sakurai about putting one of my book characters in the next Smash game.

Never going to doubt anyone's chances in Smash again!
Apology accepted. 😊

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I can’t believe it. They literally added Sora. This is like a dream come true. I can’t wait for him to come out so I can play as him and drop literally everyone else on the roster (probably).

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
I haven't been active on these boards recently even though I'm a Sora Supporter, but now that I have had the chance to see the trailer for myself and soak in all the emotion, I had to come here and revel in victory with you guys. Though there were alot of additions during Ultimate that I liked very much, none really had that "Most Wanted"-attachment that I'd feel for characters like Sora or Doom Slayer, but I was more than satisfied to accept how history-making this roster was and live vicariously through other support bases' glee as they finally got to have their time in the limelight.

But now, though it took until the very last reveal, I have been thrust into that same limelight...and it is glorious! When I tell you that the guttural roar of triumph I released when I saw the trailer while on break from work was so loud it probably sent shivers down the dude in the adjacent car's spine, I'm likely understating what I say. The fact that Sora was the Ballot winner was even more vindicating for myself and for us; we truly made our voices heard. We held out, and just like Kingdom Hearts itself, the end of our paths was light.

The battlefield at last beckons for us, keyblade faithful, may our hearts be our guiding keys.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Suggestion for a new poll: "If you could add 1 KH track to the selection we already have, which would you pick?"
If we go with that, I'd definitely need suggestions, because I didn't even recognize the tracks we got (aside from the Dearly Beloved Swing Remix) going by their names. (some of the songs rang a bell when I heard them during the Direct, but I've only really played Kingdom Hearts 1 and Chain of Memories, so my KH music knowledge is lacking)

Speaking of which, I'm going to have to listen to the songs that are included with Sora so I know what to expect, even if I likely won't know which part of the game(s) they're from.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Sora is the 7th character of FP2 (when counting Pyra & Mythra as 2 characters) and he 13th DLC fighter in Ultimate (when counting Plant as well as both Pyra AND Mythra).

7 lights and 13 darknesses!

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Congrats guys!

I'm not a big KH guy but I totally get how big of a deal Sora is.

How do you guys feel about the music selection? I listened to all of the tracks earlier and I wasn't crazy about most of them. It's a shame the song from his trailer wasn't included... and there's a pretty neat song locked behind that rhythm game which sucks.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Congrats guys!

How do you guys feel about the music selection? I listened to all of the tracks earlier and I wasn't crazy about most of them. It's a shame the song from his trailer wasn't included... and there's a pretty neat song locked behind that rhythm game which sucks.
I'm disappointed it seems to be only KH1 music. Could have gotten The Encounter, Deep Drop, or Edge of Existence (just to name a few) if they went for other games.

I'm actually fine with no remixes, though. The idea of Smash remixes of KH songs specifically just feels...wrong to me somehow.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I was mostly indifferent to Sora's inclusion because I had other characters I wanted to see.

That being said, every time I've rewatched his reveal trailer, I've teared up. That was perhaps the most epic Smash reveal trailer I've ever beheld.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I was mostly indifferent to Sora's inclusion because I had other characters I wanted to see.

That being said, every time I've rewatched his reveal trailer, I've teared up. That was perhaps the most epic Smash reveal trailer I've ever beheld.
I legitimately think it was one of the best--if not THE best--even outside of the character himself. The cinematography really stuck out to me--from the twist on the cross intro at the beginning to that beautiful final shot.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Some appropriately themed Lofi to end off today.

I kinda wish Traverse Town was the stage instead of Hollow Bastion. Smash doesn't really have a stage that has the same vibe/atmosphere as Traverse Town.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hey! Congratulations Sora fans!
It finally happened, I haven't been around for a while, but I'm happy to see this character been mostly positively received everywhere.

The journey was long! And maaaan, to get to the very last character still hoping must have been nerve wracking!
I got one of my most wanted ever pretty early on (sorry!) But it's funny that this now officially concludes the 7 Stars of Square-Enix debacle. :D
GG Crono, maybe next time. :(

But at least we now got the big 3 of Square Enix! (And their biggest villain too).

Hope to see some crazy plays from you all.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
It's awesome that Sora from Kingdom Hearts is playable in Super Smash Bros :D,I didn't it was possible due to Disney

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
My friends.

You might know me as a former regular around here who would try and rally some hope for Sora to get in every now and again. But I became less and less active on Smashboards and around the time of Kazuya, I had completely and totally given up hope of Sora or Crash getting in. I was convinced that it was going to be a first party disappointment, because I felt Nintendo always front-loaded with the big eye-grabbing picks to push sales and then taper off like they did with Byleth and then Pyra/Mythra.

Even when the 4chan leak started to roll around I was dismissive and outright hostile to anyone who believed it because it couldn't be real! Deep down I think I was just angry that other people held on to their hopes while I hadn't. I saw Sora trending for three days straight and I shook my head. Even going into my recorded reaction I was braced for a mediocre ending.

Though at the last second I threw in a sliver of hope for either Crash or Sora

I screamed.

I've spent the entire day celebrating the announcement, I ate junk food I normally don't, I left a tip far larger than I frankly should have, I was and still am on cloud nine.

To everyone in this thread and to everyone who hadn't given up when I had: I'm proud of you

Today is a momentous day.

1633495087488.png

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I’m kinda surprised that they got Yoko Shimomura to remix Hand In Hand as Sora's victory theme, instead of Hikari. But, honestly, I think it fits Sora pretty well.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Congrats guys!

Personally, I figured we would've gotten this amount of music, but I thought the selection would be more spread out with music outside of just KH1. I know there were some from KH3 Re:Mind that I really wanted. Tracks like Lord of the catstle, L'Eminenza Oscura I, 13th dilemma (Saix), Dismiss, or vector to the heavens. Even among the KH1 selection, they couldn't include "Disappeared", which was my favorite track from the game.

Out of the tracks we got though, I'm satisfied. Nothing to really upsetting. I only feel bad for people who'd want the swing version of Dearly Beloved, but not wanna invest in KH:MoM.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm surprised we didnt get like, the battle version of Roxas's theme or the boss music from 3.

BanishedAbsol

Smash Rookie
Well guys this is the end of the road for me with smash speculation and all. Now that Sora has made it, the best ending I could ask for after losing Geno, Isaac, and Shantae to costumes or assist trophies, it’s time for me to move on. I’m always going to be grateful to this site for giving me a place to hang and chat with so many other fans. It was a wonderful 3 and a half year journey and now the next door opens. Whenever the next smash is announced I’ll come back, and when I do I’ll become YouTube’s greatest animator. Sora came home and so I’ll keep believing in the bright future ahead. This is goodbye smashbords. Until we meet again.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
hey guys, how do you feel about the fact it's KH1!Sora + that he was the winner?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
hey guys, how do you feel about the fact it's KH1!Sora + that he was the winner?
Considering i would need to play an old bad ds game to understand KH 2 i rather have him be kh1 sora also kh1 sora is in the most games:
Kh1, Kh chain, Kh 3d (i guess hes supposed to be older but his model still looks young!)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Congrats, Sora fans! If anyone listened to the Source Gaming reaction, you know that I wasn't excited by this choice, but that doesn't mean that I'm not happy for his fans and that I also don't think he was the best way that DLC could have possible ended!

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I always felt kh1 sora would have been the best choice because of how iconic it was. I was honestly surprised when more people than not preferred kh2 sora over kh1 sora if he got in… best of both worlds I suppose since they both got in

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
And it just hit me that all the songs are from the first game.

Guess the music licensing for KH must have been the same deal as the other Square games, where the licensing is for one game individually rather than the whole series like with Megaman or Sonic.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I always felt kh1 sora would have been the best choice because of how iconic it was. I was honestly surprised when more people than not preferred kh2 sora over kh1 sora if he got in… best of both worlds I suppose since they both got in
I was against KH1 Sora being the default because of how often he's used in the series, so it was getting tiring to me. Plus, not too crazy about it on its own compared to his other appearances. However, it's also his most well-known and original appearance, so I figured it was the highest chance of happening.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
I actually did not believe he was the winner. I thought that title went to Banjo & Kazooie

KH1 wouldnt be my first choice as point of reference for main design, music, and, moveset. This was Sora at the time where he was starting to learn how to fight and it shows when you compare him to KH2 or KH3 sora where he becomes much more proficient and adept in movement and magic

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I actually did not believe he was the winner. I thought that title went to Banjo & Kazooie

KH1 wouldnt be my first choice as point of reference for main design, music, and, moveset. This was Sora at the time where he was starting to learn how to fight and it shows when you compare him to KH2 or KH3 sora where he becomes much more proficient and adept in movement and magic
Makes his Smash appearance kinda awkward since hi's fighting style is clearly his more experienced KH3 self rather than the rookie fighter he was in 1.

Top Bottom