• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A Nintendo Direct's been announced for tomorrow; it's 50 minutes long.

Hopefully there's some kind of Kingdom Hearts announcement - I don't see why they couldn't bring the Story So Far collection (or at least 1.5 and 2.5, since they're PS3 games) to the Switch, but then again, I'm not familiar with the internal schematics and any issues that the differences between the two consoles might cause.
that would nice but i doubt it

Powerman293

Smash Ace
What sort of stupid Nomura twist are you expecting Sora to have in his trailer? For Sephiroth his trailer was just Advent Children.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
What sort of stupid Nomura twist are you expecting Sora to have in his trailer? For Sephiroth his trailer was just Advent Children.
We see Sora in out world as the begining, and he's looking at a SMash poster where you can see some cheesy tagline like "The Smash of the century! Cloud vs Link!", Sora misses him and his friends, but then Sora hears Cloud calling him from the poster, and pulls him in to help fight Darkhon and Sephiroth. And of course, Sora's final boss in classic mode would be Sephiroth, except you fight him as if you would be playing KH3 instead of Smash.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
A Nintendo Direct's been announced for tomorrow; it's 50 minutes long.

Hopefully there's some kind of Kingdom Hearts announcement - I don't see why they couldn't bring the Story So Far collection (or at least 1.5 and 2.5, since they're PS3 games) to the Switch, but then again, I'm not familiar with the internal schematics and any issues that the differences between the two consoles might cause.
Square Enix has been extremely vague about why the KH collections haven't come to Switch. They cite "technical limitations" but no one understands what that means.

Is it an issue of porting the games to ARM from the PS4 x86 version? Is it the cartridge sizes being to small to fit even 1 of the PS3 collections? Is it too weak to have the games run an acceptable performance level by SE? Who knows.
The original HD collections were built ground up for the PS3 since the source code was lost. Since the PS3 was a nightmare to develop for, the games were most likely optimised for it which would create difficulties porting it to other consoles.

Honestly, with them being ported to PS4, Xbox and PC, I really hope it is just a matter of time for them to put in the effort to bring them to Switch. I can understand not getting II.8 and III but at least do the first two collections.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The original HD collections were built ground up for the PS3 since the source code was lost. Since the PS3 was a nightmare to develop for, the games were most likely optimised for it which would create difficulties porting it to other consoles.
That actually only applies to the first game, the second, BBS and COM were just ports. And the 2 films could easily be ported as its just cinematics.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
where did you hear this?
I'm assuming he's refering to this theory

Seems more coincidental, but I'll admit this is far more believable than the Switch not being powerful enough to run PS2 games when we're getting a Crash 4 on Switch, a current gen game with very few compromises.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Any evidence for those payment claims?

With Disney seemingly more involved in the series, going so far as to suggest making Melody of Memory, I'd be more inclined to theorise Disney was asking for the ports to be made.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Conspiracy theory:

They are going to demake KH3 so it can run properly on switch, that's why they make PS2 quality models of Sora and Kairi's Kh3 designs.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Conspiracy theory:

They are going to demake KH3 so it can run properly on switch, that's why they make PS2 quality models of Sora and Kairi's Kh3 designs.
The Crash 4 port actually uses different assets so that's had me thinking something similar could happen.

Though SE isn't Activision so it's just wishful thinking.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm assuming he's refering to this theory

Seems more coincidental, but I'll admit this is far more believable than the Switch not being powerful enough to run PS2 games when we're getting a Crash 4 on Switch, a current gen game with very few compromises.
Plot twist: Nintendo isn't paying for KH3 because they spent their budget on getting Sora in Smash.

Between the two, I'll take Smash Sora over KH series on the Switch.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Conspiracy theory:

On one hand that could work given almost every character in KH has a PS2 style model (except new outfit Riku, Yozora and Chirity). But on the other hand they'd have to redo all the worlds then as well....

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
On one hand that could work given almost every character in KH has a PS2 style model (except new outfit Riku, Yozora and Chirity). But on the other hand they'd have to redo all the worlds then as well....
Well Twilight town, Keyblade graveyard and 100 acre woods are pretty much done so that's 3 worlds of work completed lol

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
They reveal the KH games coming to Switch, then cut to Sora, Riku and Kairi on a green field, Sora yells "Heartless" and stands ready.....then Kirby's black alt walks into screen. Cue explosion.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Don't forget that Mario has to get injured.
Only after the fight where he unloads end game moves, obliterates his opponent and doesn't get hit but the following cutscene has to have him being knocked on his ass and later saved because story.

No, I'm not bitter about that Ven vs Vanitas fight. Nope.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Pack it up boys for this pass. I was hoping Sora could get in on a technicality and the fact that they've let 2 JRPG characters in FP1. But Pyra/Mythra now kind of closed that opprotunity.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
i dont think theres a limit to how many from a genre we can get
Yeah, smash 4 had half of it's DLC dedicated to RPG characters.

but hes not a FF character, he was just made by the same people
Officially speaking Kingdom hearts has always been a Final fantasy spin off series like Tactic and Crystal chronicles, so Sora is in fact a final fantasy protagonist.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yeah, smash 4 had half of it's DLC dedicated to RPG characters.

Officially speaking Kingdom hearts has always been a Final fantasy spin off series like Tactic and Crystal chronicles, so Sora is in fact a final fantasy protagonist.
KH didn't even originally have FF characters until the team managed to convince Nomura to have them. I don't think Square has ever even marketed the game as FF spin offs or described them that way in any official manner.

Closest instance I can think of is the back of the KH box mentioning FF characters but that's about it.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Xenoblade 2 fans must be SUPER excited right about now

On our side though, we've got a handful of curious announcements. SE is now working on a big new Switch title, and two new ports. That's along side Bravley Default 2, which makes it 4 SE titles post Sephiroth's inclusion. For me, this only feeding into the idea that Sephiroth was included in part due to negotiations for Sora. Why? It's more of a hunch than anything, but seeing this much of a push for games on Nintendo's platform is a tad bit similar to how Hero was handled. Normally we get a slew of Nintendo titles from SE or MS before a character owned by them is revealed. Could just be nothing, but I'll keep a mental note on that. If we get another Square spirit event though then I'm putting money down that we either get Sora, Terra, Lara, or Chrono.

Something more relevant is that it seems we're getting ANOTHER Nintendo exclusive Disney game. Rather, it's exclusive as far as consoles are concerned. If that ends up being the case, that'll make it 3 games after Disney Tsum-tsum and Marvel Ultimate alliance that Switch owners will have exclusive access to. With 2/3 of those games being multi-platform no-brainers, it's painting a picture that Nintendo is getting preferential treatment. Probably due to a deal struck between the 2 companies, and it falls in line with the behavior most of the other companies, who have had their characters in Smash, have displayed.

Where'd you hear that from? The KH franchise was never meant to be a spinoff of the FF series. It's just a series that features FF characters.

Pack it up boys for this pass. I was hoping Sora could get in on a technicality and the fact that they've let 2 JRPG characters in FP1. But Pyra/Mythra now kind of closed that opprotunity.
If that's your main concern, then you're kind of exaggerating the implications here dude. After all, that opportunity was pretty much assumed, not confirmed. Relax, we've still got 2 spots left (assuming this is even the final fighters pass).

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Xenoblade 2 fans must be SUPER excited right about now

On our side though, we've got a handful of curious announcements. SE is now working on a big new Switch title, and two new ports. That's along side Bravley Default 2, which makes it 4 SE titles post Sephiroth's inclusion. For me, this only feeding into the idea that Sephiroth was included in part due to negotiations for Sora. Why? It's more of a hunch than anything, but seeing this much of a push for games on Nintendo's platform is a tad bit similar to how Hero was handled. Normally we get a slew of Nintendo titles from SE or MS before a character owned by them is revealed. Could just be nothing, but I'll keep a mental note on that. If we get another Square spirit event though then I'm putting money down that we either get Sora, Terra, Lara, or Chrono.

Something more relevant is that it seems we're getting ANOTHER Nintendo exclusive Disney game. Rather, it's exclusive as far as consoles are concerned. If that ends up being the case, that'll make it 3 games after Disney Tsum-tsum and Marvel Ultimate alliance that Switch owners will have exclusive access to. With 2/3 of those games being multi-platform no-brainers, it's painting a picture that Nintendo is getting preferential treatment. Probably due to a deal struck between the 2 companies, and it falls in line with the behavior most of the other companies, who have had their characters in Smash, have displayed.

Where'd you hear that from? The KH franchise was never meant to be a spinoff of the FF series. It's just a series that features FF characters.

If that's your main concern, then you're kind of exaggerating the implications here dude. After all, that opportunity was pretty much assumed, not confirmed. Relax, we've still got 2 spots left (assuming this is even the final fighters pass).
You know that actually lines up with the idea that season 2 is just content they couldn't get into the game during base game. Like how in Steve's case it was that negotiations took forever to finish.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
You know that actually lines up with the idea that season 2 is just content they couldn't get into the game during base game. Like how in Steve's case it was that negotiations took forever to finish.
Maybe, but Sephiroth kinda throws a wrench in that theory. Unless we got confirmation somewhere that there was an attempt to bring him into the base game.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Maybe, but Sephiroth kinda throws a wrench in that theory. Unless we got confirmation somewhere that there was an attempt to bring him into the base game.
I look at it as less "they wanted Sephiroth in base game" and more "Sephiroth was an opportunity to include the other FFVII content they wanted base game (music/spirits)."

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Well it's not the character itself but Sakurai implied during the Sephiroth presentation that it just takes forever to get approval from Square to do anything because of all the people involved in licensing, which is why Cloud has nothing with him in base.

That statement to me implied that Sephiroth was supposed to show up earlier but it took forever toget the ok.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well it's not the character itself but Sakurai implied during the Sephiroth presentation that it just takes forever to get approval from Square to do anything because of all the people involved in licensing, which is why Cloud has nothing with him in base.

That statement to me implied that Sephiroth was supposed to show up earlier but it took forever toget the ok.
are you sure? it sounded more like this is why cloud how so little to me

Top Bottom