• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I'm aware of that, which is why I think your claim has a lot of weight to it. In the end, we don't really know. However, if Disney came at this from a "If they say no, we say no" stance, then I think that would grant them just enough leverage to work out something along the lines of a promotional inclusion in Smash. This is potentially a really exciting prospect.
Hopefully we'll get another interview with Sakurai and Nomura together. It could provide some much needed insight.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, I can't exactly prove Square lacks that level of influence either, but it was said that Disney asks Square for approval out of respect. That's a pretty big step down from being even a partial rights holder, but we still don't know how much leverage this actually grants Square.

It's going to be a long week.
Disney doesn't ask for Square Enix's input they ask for Tetsuya's input specifically since he's the director of the IP. They like to make sure to run things by him out of respect and to maintain their good company standing with eachother. But legally speaking Disney can do whatever they want regardless of what he or Square Enix feels about the decision.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
So regarding Sora's chances after Sephiroths reveal.
Does he have a chance, what do you guys reckon?

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
FWIW, Imran Khan, who was the first journalist to leak that Nintendo had been in talks with Disney about Sora, thinks Sephiroth is his "replacement":

How bad is sephiroth for sora’s chances
Extremely bad

Exclusionarily bad

Maybe it's just me, but it feels like Sora was wanted and they couldn't make a deal so Sephiroth happened instead.

I'd find it really odd to have both in the same pass.
this is also my educated guess

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
FWIW, Imran Khan, who was the first journalist to leak that Nintendo had been in talks with Disney about Sora, thinks Sephiroth is his "replacement":

Probably just more "Sora bad" nonsense.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Has anyone made they joke yet of "Hey! You guys DID get a KH character!"?
Well...yes and no. This was acknowledged, but in a less funny manner:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
hard to say. it shouldnt really effect his chances but who knows what goes on in sakurai's head
It does come down to Sakurai, but let's not forget. Nintendo are the ones suggesting the ideas to him, so anything could happen.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It does come down to Sakurai, but let's not forget. Nintendo are the ones suggesting the ideas to him, so anything could happen.
well thats the thing, we have no idea about the suggestions. sometimes it seems like they suggest a character sometimes just a game and we have no idea how many they suggest

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Honestly Sora would be a good sleeper pick at this point. He will be written off for future speculation and that may be his saving grace. I do find it hard to believe that both Sora and Seph would appear in the same pass, but you never know.

Also who knows, he could end up being limited time DLC after the pass is over. At first I was thinking this would be a deal breaker, but I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to agree to such terms considering how the Mario Anniversary Collection panned out.

edumolon11

Smash Cadet

Well, if Imran says that... In my opinion, Sora isn't coming. F***

I wish we have Fighter Pass 3 for another oportunity

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Disney doesn't ask for Square Enix's input they ask for Tetsuya's input specifically since he's the director of the IP. They like to make sure to run things by him out of respect and to maintain their good company standing with eachother. But legally speaking Disney can do whatever they want regardless of what he or Square Enix feels about the decision.
I'm aware of that, but as long as Nomura is on Sqaure's payroll I'm going to consider them one entity. Disney can absolutely do whatever they want, but as of right now they haven't used that authority in any discernible manner.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
hang on you think that someone said theyd only agree to sora if sephiroth was in?
More or less. We know for a fact that Sephiroth's inclusion would've been set to go long before the FF7R release date, which can suggest that this was a promotional move. We know that Disney wouldn't include Sora without SE's and Nomura's blessing, and I wouldn't expect them to say yes without something to gain from it. So the incentive IS there. There's more I'd like to say, but I'm not done digging for info. I want to make sure this can be made into a solid case before anything else, but that's where my mind's at currently.

Since HMK is our only source on the matter, it should be noted that it's Square-Enix and Nomura, not just Nomura alone.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Honestly I truly think this was Sora's death knell for Smash, but I long since made peace with him not getting in because he is a legal mess to deal with any way you slice it.

I feel more bad for the Geno guys, they've been strung along for two DLC passes just to get tripped at the finish line again.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Honestly I truly think this was Sora's death knell for Smash, but I long since made peace with him not getting in because he is a legal mess to deal with any way you slice it.

I feel more bad for the Geno guys, they've been strung along for two DLC passes just to get tripped at the finish line again.
Meh, at the end of the day not everybody will be pleased with the dlc. It is what it is. Seph was a solid choice in my opinion, despite preferring Sora. That being said you chose to take the news as hard as you want. Geno is cool and Smrpg is a solid title so I wouldn’t mind seeing him playable but there are so many characters available who are as deserving in terms of a spot on the roster.
That being said, at least he’s certain to get a mii costume. That’s not even the case for most fandoms, this one included.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well I can say something people have been asking if sephiroth has anything related from kingdom hearts

well if mentioned already or he’s done this before in final fantasy

someone spotted he has the same black orb attack from kingdom hearts 2
(pit had 3 black orbs spinning around him in the trailer)

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Big brain: They're revealing Sephiroth now so they can continue the trailer later with a Sora reveal where he shows up to help Cloud.

Normal brain: What?
Big brain: They're revealing Sephiroth now so they can continue the trailer later with a Sora reveal where he shows up to help Cloud.

Normal brain: What?
Picking up from where the last trailer left off in medias res would be very different.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'm of the opinion that Sephiroth does diminish Sora's chances a little. After all, KH and FF have such close ties and everything.

That said, FP2 is nigh-impossible to predict at this point. ARMS didn't seem like it had much of a chance once base roster was finalized. Steve seemed like a longshot after Banjo. And now, pretty much no one was expecting Sephiroth. Meanwhile, Travis looked like he had stellar chances, and he got costume'd. It truly feels hard to try and guess what's coming, though I'd say Sora still has good chances overall. It helps that he's also pretty popular in the Smash speculation scene and very popular with the general gaming audience. This is, of course, with the hopes that the "too expensive" rumor is false, and the hopes that Sora doesn't get costume'd in a week (feels like that would be very unlikely to happen).

Last edited:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman

Sephiroth's inclusion has absolutely nothing to do with Sora's chances. Like I've stated before Sora is NOT a Square Enix character just legally speaking. He IS and always has been a Disney owned IP not a Square Enix owned IP. Therefore nothing regarding other Square IP has any real impact on Sora's chances just based on legal rights alone. If he got it he'd be considered a Disney rep not a Square rep. As for how hard legally a deal for him would actually be, people ASSUME it'd be a nightmare to do. But assumptions are not the same thing as factual information. You THINK he'd be a legal nightmare but you do NOT actually know that.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
If we were to wake up and find out a Pass 3 was happening, then I'd be singing a different tune. But as it is, I just can't Sora and Sephiroth being in the same pass. Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy are just so intrinsically linked to one another, and that'd give us two Nomura characters at once.

I mean I would absolutely love to be wrong about this just... I don't know, I just don't see it
1607747637171.png

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I'm of the opinion that Sephiroth does diminish Sora's chances a little. After all, KH and FF have such close ties and everything.

That said, FP2 is nigh-impossible to predict at this point. ARMS didn't seem like it had much of a chance once base roster was finalized. Steve seemed like a longshot after Banjo. And now, pretty much no one was expecting Sephiroth. Meanwhile, Travis looked like he had stellar chances, and he got costume'd. It truly feels hard to try and guess what's coming, though I'd say Sora still has good chances overall. It helps that he's also pretty popular in the Smash speculation scene and very popular with the general gaming audience. This is, of course, with the hopes that the "too expensive" rumor is false, and the hopes that Sora doesn't get costume'd in a week (feels like that would be very unlikely to happen).
This is pretty much my stance on it. I'm not expecting Sora but at this point I'm having a hard time counting out any character who isn't outright disconfirmed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
More or less. We know for a fact that Sephiroth's inclusion would've been set to go long before the FF7R release date, which can suggest that this was a promotional move. We know that Disney wouldn't include Sora without SE's and Nomura's blessing, and I wouldn't expect them to say yes without something to gain from it. So the incentive IS there. There's more I'd like to say, but I'm not done digging for info. I want to make sure this can be made into a solid case before anything else, but that's where my mind's at currently.
do we know any of that for a fact? or is it just broad speculation? where did this idea that sephiroth is a promo pick come from?

we're half way through the pass its hardly the finish line youve been tripped at

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
do we know any of that for a fact? or is it just broad speculation? where did this idea that sephiroth is a promo pick come from?
Just speculation. It generally stemmed from the irritation I felt when I started seeing speculation videos try to force the idea that Sora would be a Square rep just because SE's permission was required for Sora's inclusion. This eventually got me thinking about SE's role in this and what they'd demand as a result, since I was (and still am) positive they wouldn't just give permission for free. While I wasn't expecting Sephiroth, I was expecting another Square rep (like Geno or a Twewy character). Either that or a big collab project between Nintendo an SE. With Sephiroth's announcement, I am now running with this as a theory in progress.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just speculation. It generally stemmed from the irritation I felt when I started seeing speculation videos try to force the idea that Sora would be a Square rep just because SE's permission was required for Sora's inclusion. This eventually got me thinking about SE's role in this and what they'd demand as a result, since I was (and still am) positive they wouldn't just give permission for free. While I wasn't expecting Sephiroth, I was expecting another Square rep (like Geno or a Twewy character). Either that or a big collab project between Nintendo an SE. With Sephiroth's announcement, I am now running with this as a theory in progress.
i see

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
So how does everyone feel about the possibility of seeing Sora as a Mii costume in the next Sakurai Presents? Because while I don't think Sora is outright deconfirmed after Sephiroth's announcement, I feel his chances have been a little bit hampered. I'm personally bracing myself for the worst.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
So how does everyone feel about the possibility of seeing Sora as a Mii costume in the next Sakurai Presents? Because while I don't think Sora is outright deconfirmed after Sephiroth's announcement, I feel his chances have been a little bit hampered. I'm personally bracing myself for the worst.
I wanna brace myself for the worst, too, but…I honestly doubt Nintendo would negotiate with both Disney and Square Enix just for a $0.75 costume.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
The chance is there, but I don't think it's very likely. Hero came with four mii costumes entirely from Dragon Quest. I expect the same for Sephiroth. Tifa, Barret, and Aerith would fill each mii fighter type perfectly if we stick exclusively to FFVII. As for an FFVII themed hat, uhhhhh Jenova maybe?

If they opt draw from FF in it's entirety then there's no shortage of options.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Between that and nothing I'll take it. He's an amazing game character and I'd still love to see him playable in some way in Smash. I want to get all costumes, but if I have to pick and choose, it's one I'd totally buy. If he's a fighter, I already paid for him. If he's a bonus fighter, I'd pay for him.

Admittedly I can't get into the games due to the way they play, but the character, settings, music, they're all awesome. And I don't just mean remixes/reused Disney music either. It comes up a lot on Pandora alone, heh.

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
I think that Nintendo if it negotiates with Disney, it will not be for a mii costume.

But of course, Sephirot changes everything. I never imagined a Sora mii costume with Geno, Lara, Neku or 2B, but with Sephirot I think it's possible and f ***, that scares me.

I think that if there is more DLC after FP2, Sora has great chances.

If FP2 is really the end, it is very difficult for him to enter, time will tell.

But man, if in any of the situations, on Thursday there is a mii costume, then RIP.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I main Mii Brawler and have been working on my Swordfighter ever since I found out that people were calling the character garbage. With that being said, I want Sora because I believe his playstyle would be the most fun out of any potential character inclusion. So... yeah, I definitely wouldn't like a mii costumed Sora. But if we ended up getting that anyway, I'd at least want it to be the KH3 outfit.

Top Bottom