• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Something doesn’t make sense to me. So Geno fans are revelling at Sora being “disconfirmed”, because they view Sora as Geno’s biggest rival for Fighter Pass 2, and obstinately believe it will only be one or the other but not both. However, they are also adamant that Geno is a character in FP2, and with Sora being “deconfirmed” by insiders who say Nintendo WANTED Sora in FP2, then surely if they got the rights from Disney to use Sora then both characters would have been in FP2 right? Oh, but wait, they think it can only be one or the other, does that mean Sora being deconfirmed means Geno is? Or did Nintendo move down the list from Sora to Geno, making Sora the character Nintendo wanted more? This argument is so stupid, conspicuously they’re both very likely and able to appear in the same Fighter Pass.
Would post this in the Geno thread, but I’m sure the more open-minded and reasonable Geno fans come here on a regular basis & can bestow their own take on this matter.
They're owned by completely different companies (Geno by Square-Enix; Sora by Disney), so it's not like they're "rivals" for a "spot" to begin with.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
They're owned by completely different companies (Geno by Square-Enix; Sora by Disney), so it's not like they're "rivals" for a "spot" to begin with.
No offense to them but they are stuck in 2018 type of theories and mistakes such at this one. I dunno what's taking them so long to learn certain things, specially when I, myself, have said in their thread many times in the past that Sora is Disney and not SE. It's like they decide to forget it every time for some reason.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
No offense to them but they are stuck in 2018 type of theories and mistakes such at this one. I dunno what's taking them so long to learn certain things, specially when I, myself, have said in their thread many times in the past that Sora is Disney and not SE. It's like they decide to forget it every time for some reason.
To be fair, both sides have been acting out as rivals for a long time. And the thread IS really active on a consistent basis.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
To be fair, both sides have been acting out as rivals for a long time. And the thread IS really active on a consistent basis.
I have been consistently saying that Sora is disney and not SE but I guess people like to consistently keep a rivalry that doesn't truly exist lol

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I have been consistently saying that Sora is disney and not SE but I guess people like to consistently keep a rivalry that doesn't truly exist lol
Honestly, I feel like the Geno fans KNOW Sora has a bigger chance than they ever like to admit out loud, but since he's ""competition"" for Geno they downplay the hell out of him.

The only thing stopping this from becoming the new Steve VS Banjo is that 4chan hates both characters and won't go for the mass trolling they did with Grotesque Steve

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
I think another factor to take into account in Geno VS Sora, is that Sora can come with the Geno costume (and others from Square Enix) but Geno cannot come with Sora costume.

In my opinion, they are not competition.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Sora and the puppet are far from being competition. Thats like saying The slice of life anime Daily Lives of High-School Boys is competition for a shonen action anime, Naruto. Two separate genres that don't compete with each other at all and the only reason why you think the former is a rival to the latter is because you like one more than the other

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The MoM demo is out this week!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
One winged Angel, Sanctuary,The 13th Dilemma, The Fun Fair, Future Masters and Mejestic Wings has been confirmed along with other songs to be in MoM!
Edit: this is the first thing you see when you boot up the game. You love to see it
IMG_20201015_101156.jpg

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Speaking of things that one could get really excited about:

not sure if this is Kingdom Hearts related or if it's the world ends with you related but this is pretty interesting nonetheless. I'm looking forward to seeing what Nomura has up his sleeve

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
not sure if this is Kingdom Hearts related or if it's the world ends with you related but this is pretty interesting to say the least. I'm looking forward to seeing what Nomura has up his sleeve
Well, given Square Enix's history of putting major games on Nintendo consoles in the last 20 years is not exactly stellar outside DQ11, I think might be safe to rule out that its a meeting about putting the KH games on Switch.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Well they JUST recently stated that no more KH games are planned for switch at the moment… we are aware of KH MoM already… so what's left? Either TWEWY2 altho I dunno if that's truly happening any time soon when Nomura is already working on FF7R and KH, seems to me like his hands are pretty busy as they are with just those… so, a smaller new game involving Nomura, or Smash. There's really not much else he could be getting invited for an interview in the near future.

P.D.: I feel like they would have announced TWEWY2 already close to the TWEWY anime, if it was something happening soon as in next year, yet they didn't, that's why I doubt it's TWEWY related, unless it gets announced at TGA before the year ends lol

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Well they JUST recently stated that no more KH games are planned for switch at the moment… we are aware of KH MoM already… so what's left? Either TWEWY2 altho I dunno if that's truly happening any time soon when Nomura is already working on FF7R and KH, seems to me like his hands are pretty busy as they are with just those… so, a smaller new game involving Nomura, or Smash. There's really not much else he could be getting invited for an interview in the near future.

P.D.: I feel like they would have announced TWEWY2 already close to the TWEWY anime, if it was something happening soon as in next year, yet they didn't, that's why I doubt it's TWEWY related, unless it gets announced at TGA before the year ends lol
I wouldn't be too sure. Let's assume that they would've planned for the anime to act as a promotion for the sequel, you could still do that even after the anime was released. Probably in the middle of airing episodes or soon after it was finished airing. It'd be more likely to believe as you said earlier in your comment, that Nomura working on 2 other big games at once could be a lot on his plate.

Last edited:

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
If Sora gets in as a DLC fighter, I highly doubt that they would include Roxas or Xion as an Echo for him since none of the Fighters Pass characters have Echoes packed with them. Instead, I'm hoping that they get included as costumes like the Koopalings for Bowser Jr., Alph for Olimar, and Alex/Zombie/Enderman for Steve. As the later shows, they don't have to have an exactly even amount of costumes between them even if there are different characters. If they went all out with costumes for Sora, then my personal desire would be having the first four costumes be Sora himself (Based on his looks in the three numbered titles, as well as 3D, with either his look from I or III being the default), then have the next two be Roxas (one with his black coat, the other with his casual outfit), then the last two be Xion (same as Roxas).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If Sora gets in as a DLC fighter, I highly doubt that they would include Roxas or Xion as an Echo for him since none of the Fighters Pass characters have Echoes packed with them. Instead, I'm hoping that they get included as costumes like the Koopalings for Bowser Jr., Alph for Olimar, and Alex/Zombie/Enderman for Steve. As the later shows, they don't have to have an exactly even amount of costumes between them even if there are different characters. If they went all out with costumes for Sora, then my personal desire would be having the first four costumes be Sora himself (Based on his looks in the three numbered titles, as well as 3D, with either his look from I or III being the default), then have the next two be Roxas (one with his black coat, the other with his casual outfit), then the last two be Xion (same as Roxas).
well remember all that probably wont be possible for dlc

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet
This is pretty much my exact costume wishlist only replace DDD Sora with Anti-Sora.

M@R!3

Smash Ace

TWEWY would absolutely qualify as a smaller game, and Nomura has only acted as a producer and character designer for TWEWY rather than a director. Given that Final Remix released for Switch in October of 2018, and KH3 came out in January of 2019, Nomura has almost certainly worked on TWEWY in the midst of directing other major projects. Because of this I think TWEWY2 is our most likely option, with Smash content in some form as a very distant second, and an entirely new project being a bit behind Smash.

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
Remember when I mentioned that I'd love to see what Spirit Battles Sora would bring with his Challenger Pack's Spirit Board, if he gets into the game? I was on another forum, on TV Tropes, and someone came up with a most brilliant idea involving them. What if for certain Spirits of enemies or boss characters, when equipped, their Spirits would grant effects based on their Enemy Cards in (Re: ) Chain of Memories? For example, Marluxia could give (Chance of a) Double Final Smash because his Enemy Card grants Double Sleight, or Axel would grant Improved Escape because his Card's effect was Quick Recovery?

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Dude, could you imagine if they did this and gave us Oblivion/ Oath keeper as one of 3 interchangeable keyblades? And like the keyblades in KH3, they'd allow you to dual wield after you filled up a meter?

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
Dude, could you imagine if they did this and gave us Oblivion/ Oath keeper as one of 3 interchangeable keyblades? And like the keyblades in KH3, they'd allow you to dual wield after you filled up a meter?
In regards to Sora's potential moveset, I myself had kind of a similar idea. There's a lot of mechanics they can pull from from the original KH games, and III in particular has its Situation Commands. If they pull from that, I'd assume that like in the original game, Sora could charge up Situation Commands, with the one he gets depending on what moves he successfully lands. The magic "-za" spells are obvious, but maybe he can do a Form Change if he favors normal/physical attacks? The question is what Form he could change into? Maybe either Second Form, Light/Dark Mode, or Double Form? I'd assume said Forms would be much lower-key than, say, Joker with Arsene active, but still a power boost to consider working to get for certain situations?

On a similar note, considering all the visual references characters have in Smash now (like Joker's Victory screens, and pretty much everything Steve does), I wonder if Sora could have a unique character icon during matches, like the UI in the original KH games. Like, he'd still have his normal promo render on the character select screen and whatnot, but specifically during a battle, his character icon is a different render of just his head that changes like it does in the original games (one for normal, one for being damaged, and another for being at critical damage).

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
In regards to Sora's potential moveset, I myself had kind of a similar idea. There's a lot of mechanics they can pull from from the original KH games, and III in particular has its Situation Commands. If they pull from that, I'd assume that like in the original game, Sora could charge up Situation Commands, with the one he gets depending on what moves he successfully lands. The magic "-za" spells are obvious, but maybe he can do a Form Change if he favors normal/physical attacks? The question is what Form he could change into? Maybe either Second Form, Light/Dark Mode, or Double Form? I'd assume said Forms would be much lower-key than, say, Joker with Arsene active, but still a power boost to consider working to get for certain situations?
Instead of that, I'm thinking it should be more like Pokemon trainer's set up. You'd get to switch between 3 keyblades, and the more you fight with one particular keyblade, the more you fill its meter before it transforms. Each transformation would have its own set of standard, tilt, and Smash attacks.
On a similar note, considering all the visual references characters have in Smash now (like Joker's Victory screens, and pretty much everything Steve does), I wonder if Sora could have a unique character icon during matches, like the UI in the original KH games. Like, he'd still have his normal promo render on the character select screen and whatnot, but specifically during a battle, his character icon is a different render of just his head that changes like it does in the original games (one for normal, one for being damaged, and another for being at critical damage).
The unique icon thing is something I'd definitely be sold on, just so long as it isn't beeping when he's critically injured.

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
Instead of that, I'm thinking it should be more like Pokemon trainer's set up. You'd get to switch between 3 keyblades, and the more you fight with one particular keyblade, the more you fill its meter before it transforms. Each transformation would have its own set of standard, tilt, and Smash attacks.

The unique icon thing is something I'd definitely be sold on, just so long as it isn't beeping when he's critically injured.
Oh yeah, the annoying beeping would definitely have to be excluded. It'd get super grating to other players, especially if match conditions are set so that high damage is constant or common (i.e. long lasting matches on huge stages like Temple, or Spirit Battles involving sudden damage).

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Papagenos latest video also recaps the recent Sora rumblings at the end. Just nice to see him shout our boy out

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Last edited:

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
I've been watching this page for awhile...hadn't realized I never commented here before...but Id love to see Sora in Smash! And more Yoko is always a good thing!

Also, happy birthday to one of my favorite composers! (Also just learned today that she composed a single track for the first Breath of Fire on SNES, I never realized how much of her music I've listened to growing up)

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
Praise be to Yoko Shimomura, goddess of video game music!

She's made quite a handful of remixes for Smash Bros. too, hasn't she? Just off the top of my head there's some Street Fighter music (Vega's Theme stands out to me in particular), Dedede's theme way back in Brawl, Treasure Trove Cove, Pasta, and Dance of the Blocks. Half of the reason why I want Sora in Smash is so that more of her amazing music can get into the game.

Imagine this remix of Vector to the Heavens playing in a Xion Spirit battle or something. That'd be dope.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I'm going to predict this. Sora, Riku, and Kairi will be spirits on the week of the upcoming KH game on the switch.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So after thinking over all this weirdness with Nomura's alluding to something for Nintendo is coming soon, let's go over the possibilities here:

1. The most likely outcome: Square decided to walk back that BS comment about it being "too difficult" to port the old games to Switch and they're getting on that after the backlash.

2. There's an entirely new KH title that's coming sooner than we think

3. The big one: Sora joins Smash Bros.

Option number one definitely seems what would most likely happen here. Apparently the development of the previous KH collections was murder because they lost the source code of the original game and had to rip it from retail copies and work from the ground up to rebuild it, so in a sense there is some merit to their "too difficult" comment, but the fact that they ported it to PS4 and Xbox One and the fact that the Switch can run Melody just as well as any other system is proof that the Switch could easily run KH 1, COM, and KH2.

Square would be leaving a huge amount of money on the table by not bringing them over. Even when they initially said they wouldn't do it, I still held my faith because it just makes too much sense. It's not a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when"

For Option Two, it's possible but I have my doubts at least for a little while: Nomura has his hands full with Final Fantasy 7 Remake for the foreseeable future. Plus I'm uncertain what else could fit as an 'in-between' title since Melody is covering the search for Sora right now; especially one with the graphical capability to run on the Switch.

Now for the one we're hoping for: Sora in Smash

People are writing this one off because we assume that if this was the case Nomura wouldn't allude to it at all, that he'd keep his mouth shut. Like how SUDA said "No Comment" in regards to Travis Touchdown and he got a Mii Costume, or how Phil Spencer would dodge every question about Banjo joining Smash. It's a fair argument to be sure, but here's the thing I think matters: He wasn't asked about Smash at all

1603166337053.png

1603166595677.png

All he said was that he'd might be back at Nintendo Dream with something for KH fans in the future; and that something could be anything. I just listed two other options over what that something could be! There's a sort of plausible deniability here, you know? He didn't point to anything at all that indicated it could be Smash, so he's technically not breaking any NDA here in this hypothetical scenario. Since the man does have titles come out in the future and he can't not allude to those, and if Smash just happens to fit under that umbrella then yeah

Again, its hypothetical here and I strongly believe the old games coming to Switch is way more likely

But who knows?

Top Bottom