• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Figured I would post this since some of you might enjoy messing around with it, and nobody here had mentioned it yet.

Recently a new tech called item canceling was found in KH3. By canceling a combo with an item and then switching keyblades you bypass the lag that normally occurs when switching keys mid combo. This greatly increases combo possibilities, and results in some pretty stylish gameplay.
Yeah, I saw that a while ago! I didn't know it was up for discussion here. I'm planning on using it for my critical mode run in the near future.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Yeah, I saw that a while ago! I didn't know it was up for discussion here. I'm planning on using it for my critical mode run in the near future.
I haven't actually tried it out myself yet either. I spent quite a bit of time redoing data battles, and only recently moved on to a different game. So I'll probably wait a while before messing with it.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I post in the Geno Thread how Sora has been in more non KH games than Geno has his entire existence and everyone jumps down my throat about how stingy Disney is.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Disney isn't stingy, AT ALL. HMK went the other day showing yall how much merch has disney allowed other companies to make of KH, nevermind the fact disney themselves reminded this year (or was it last year? who cares) that they are willing to let game developers to play with their IPs.

With Disney It's just about whether or not you're willing to pay them for -insert whatever here- lol, other than that they are not stingy really.

Square Enix on the other hand… they ARE stingy, and it has nothing to do with money, and we literally have seen it already to back that up. Whether Sora happens or not has only to do with Nintendo is willing to pay for it, other than that Nintendo and Disney have been buddies before even Nintendo made games, lol, and like i said, they are open for people to do stuff with their IPs and KH has proven that already plenty of times. Nevermind the fact of the amount of disney games in general and also KH games present on Nintendo consoles pretty much shows they would be the company to let play the most with their IPs and such.

That said I'm on the boat of wanting both characters in the game, so i have hope for both, since they are unrelated in the end.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Sora gets in Smash, what Mii Fighters costumes from the Kingdom Hearts series could we see? Personally, I want Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy costumes.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I do think one point against Sora was that if negotiations had happened between Nintendo and Disney it almost certainly would have leaked. But admittedly Steve rendered this a little moot.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If Sora gets in Smash, what Mii Fighters costumes from the Kingdom Hearts series could we see? Personally, I want Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy costumes.
black coat

Square Enix on the other hand… they ARE stingy, and it has nothing to do with money, and we literally have seen it already to back that up.
no they arent

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I'm getting more and more convinced by the day that Sora's gonna be in Smash Ultimate as DLC. Disney's been super weird these past few years. Almost as weird as Microsoft, where we're seeing curious exclusives on Nintendo platforms, a willingness to put up an open invite to devs and allowing them to make games using their IPs, the 2018 partnership between Nintendo and Disney On the gaming family show. And now that we know how long these conversations can take and what can happen as a result of the longer conversations, Stuff like the Hashimoto "yes" tweet and the Frozen 2 Switch giveaway over at Russia becomes more and more like validation that it's happening than anything else.

Black coat hood up and hood down, Riku, probably an MC character outfit from the phone game (complete with keyblade), any keyblade wielder, and Lingering Will.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Guard armor could be cool, I would also want Neku Sakuraba and An Organization coat for all 3 fighters using The Kingdom key or Axel's Keyblade for Swordfighter and Xigbars gun for Gunner.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Cloud says hello, and i will leave it at that, because it's not the topic of this thread anyway, and it's a known fact regardless lol.
dragon quest, trials of mana and octopath traveller say hello to you. its not a known fact its an assumption

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
dragon quest, trials of mana and octopath traveller say hello to you. its not a known fact its an assumption
Yeah I don't think it's accurate to say Square Enix is stingy. The issue (at least from how I understand it) is specific properties owned by Square are spread across multiple copyright holders, and those rights are often difficult to acquire because they are so widespread or it is those other holders who are the stingy ones. I'm fairly certain this applies to Final Fantasy's character designs and music, and I believe also Dragon Quest's music. Dragon Quest's character designer is pretty chill so that's probably why we were able to get everything that we got from that series.

Square doesn't own Sora but in the event that Disney decides they need to get permission from Nomura to add him, there is no way he'd refuse. Based on interviews we've had about Nomura and Sakurai's conversation to getting Cloud into Smash, he seemed pretty on board with it. So if Sora doesn't get in for copyright purposes, Square is most certainly not going to be the reason. (Although I don't think Disney would be opposed to that idea either)

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yeah I don't think it's accurate to say Square Enix is stingy. The issue (at least from how I understand it) is specific properties owned by Square are spread across multiple copyright holders, and those rights are often difficult to acquire because they are so widespread or it is those other holders who are the stingy ones. I'm fairly certain this applies to Final Fantasy's character designs and music, and I believe also Dragon Quest's music. Dragon Quest's character designer is pretty chill so that's probably why we were able to get everything that we got from that series.

Square doesn't own Sora but in the event that Disney decides they need to get permission from Nomura to add him, there is no way he'd refuse. Based on interviews we've had about Nomura and Sakurai's conversation to getting Cloud into Smash, he seemed pretty on board with it. So if Sora doesn't get in for copyright purposes, Square is most certainly not going to be the reason. (Although I don't think Disney would be opposed to that idea either)
I've had to discuss the plenty of times on these boards.

The only artwork Square Enix doesn't own is that done by Amano as all his work, including the logos for the games, is under his name for the copyright listing. You've still got a boatload of artwork not done by him.

As for the music, as far as I can tell Square Enix owns all of that. Look at the copyright listing for the tracks in Smash or on any of the official FF soundtracks and you'll see it's all listed under Square Enix. Uematsu who's composed a majority of it was even once denied naming an album after a FF song because Square Enix told him no. Furthermore, whenever he covers any of his FF tracks in his band, Square Enix once again always pops up in the copyright listings.

Dragon Quest's music is all owned by its composer Sugiyama who's an arse.

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
The only artwork Square Enix doesn't own is that done by Amano as all his work, including the logos for the games, is under his name for the copyright listing. You've still got a boatload of artwork not done by him.

As for the music, as far as I can tell Square Enix owns all of that. Look at the copyright listing for the tracks in Smash or on any of the official FF soundtracks and you'll see it's all listed under Square Enix. Uematsu who's composed a majority of it was even once denied naming an album after a FF song because Square Enix told him no. Furthermore, whenever he covers any of his FF tracks in his band, Square Enix once again always pops up in the copyright listings.
Is that so? I guess the information I obtained must be incorrect then, thank you for letting me know :)

Edit: So I searched it up and it appears that Amano worked on FF7, so that would be a potential reason we only got Cloud's spirit out of any FF ones, correct? Or would it be unreasonable to assume he allowed Cloud and Cloud only?

That just leaves the music which I guess would be Square being stingy in this scenario. I don't think I have a complete understanding about how all this works so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That just leaves the music which I guess would be Square being stingy in this scenario. I don't think I have a complete understanding about how all this works so please correct me if I'm wrong.
well there was a rumor i heard that the issue was due to them licencing FF out to someone else around them same time

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Hey guys, give this a watch. It's just a speculation video, covering everything we've already covered and I don't necessarily agree with everything that was said here, but it was a fun watch.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I figured I'd share this little point about KH3.
A beautifull quote. I always found that KH3 was underatted because of how pepolpe just did not want to understand because it wasn't what they wanted. Instead, KH3 was what KH needed, and it's what makes it so good to me, and on the same level as KH2 in my opinion.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Is that so? I guess the information I obtained must be incorrect then, thank you for letting me know :)

Edit: So I searched it up and it appears that Amano worked on FF7, so that would be a potential reason we only got Cloud's spirit out of any FF ones, correct? Or would it be unreasonable to assume he allowed Cloud and Cloud only?

No it would not as a majority of the FF7 artwork was not done by Amano. You could just use Nomura's artwork which is most likely what would have been picked if we got any because Amano's artwork tends to be more abstract and not representative of the final designs.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
No it would not as a majority of the FF7 artwork was not done by Amano. You could just use Nomura's artwork which is most likely what would have been picked if we got any because Amano's artwork tends to be more abstract and not representative of the final designs.
Alright, gotcha, thanks for all the info :D

Hey guys, give this a watch. It's just a speculation video, covering everything we've already covered and I don't necessarily agree with everything that was said here, but it was a fun watch.
Thanks for sharing, that was interesting and informative.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
First off since when does it have to be a called a 4th party cameo when it clearly is just 3 circles on a key chain, so does this mean that The Heroes in general who is all designed by Akira Toriyama mean Dragon Ball is represented since all his designs are his and mainly the same, pretty much yells 4th party cameo going by your logic.
This was a year ago, but I think the videogame-only rule only applies to characters, (like Goku, Spongebob, Shrek etc.) and not objects (like the mickey emblem).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok where did this idea that if sora was in smash normua would want to make it canon come from? it makes no sense and doesnt seem to be based on anything

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
ok where did this idea that if sora was in smash normua would want to make it canon come from? it makes no sense and doesnt seem to be based on anything
its just a joke about how Kingdom Hearts spin-offs are also Canon
This is more or less it. There are some in the persona community that makes the same joke for Joker because P4 was notorious for its canon spin-offs. Don't let it get to you.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
well thats a colossal misconception based on what counts as a spin off for kingdom hearts
Is it really? I mean, even if you don't consider most of the non-numbered titles as spin-offs, Union X and MoM fits the bill in a general sense.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Can't say im too worried about Disney, although I wouldn't expect Disney content outside of the Keyblade's keychain. Honestly its either gonna hurt or help Sora's chances as a DLC candidate to be affiliated with Disney. It really is 50/50 and its a guessing game at this point.
However, Disney isn't as stingy as most people think when it comes to their characters. If anything they are cautious, but even characters like Mickey ended up as Funko Pop toys. Nintendo has published several of their games. Marvel characters are regularly licensed out to third party developers for either full games or cameos etc.. Wreck it ralph one and two shows that Nintendo at least trust Disney with their IPs, and hopefully Disney would be willing to return the favor. Idk the list collaborations is pretty extensive in that regard.

I also don't believe if Sora gets in it eliminates geno or vice versa. If Geno doesn't make the cut, I'm more inclined to believe that its just because Nintendo didn't want to use the character for a multitude of reasons.

As for Sora, if he doesn't make it, its probably because a deal couldn't be reached with Disney. If any of these rumors are true, we at least know he was on Nintendo's radar. Either way I expect him to be close to the last character considering 2021 is the 20th anniversary for KH with a new game on the way.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Can't say im too worried about Disney, although I wouldn't expect Disney content outside of the Keyblade's keychain. Honestly its either gonna hurt or help Sora's chances as a DLC candidate to be affiliated with Disney. It really is 50/50 and its a guessing game at this point.
However, Disney isn't as stingy as most people think when it comes to their characters. If anything they are cautious, but even characters like Mickey ended up as Funko Pop toys. Nintendo has published several of their games. Marvel characters are regularly licensed out to third party developers for either full games or cameos etc.. Wreck it ralph one and two shows that Nintendo at least trust Disney with their IPs, and hopefully Disney would be willing to return the favor. Idk the list collaborations is pretty extensive in that regard.
EXACTLY! Sora’s far from set in stone, but as HMK says, Disney literally hands the KH license to anyone who’s willing to take it.

TraaP

Smash Cadet
Something doesn’t make sense to me. So Geno fans are revelling at Sora being “disconfirmed”, because they view Sora as Geno’s biggest rival for Fighter Pass 2, and obstinately believe it will only be one or the other but not both. However, they are also adamant that Geno is a character in FP2, and with Sora being “deconfirmed” by insiders who say Nintendo WANTED Sora in FP2, then surely if they got the rights from Disney to use Sora then both characters would have been in FP2 right? Oh, but wait, they think it can only be one or the other, does that mean Sora being deconfirmed means Geno is? Or did Nintendo move down the list from Sora to Geno, making Sora the character Nintendo wanted more? This argument is so stupid, conspicuously they’re both very likely and able to appear in the same Fighter Pass.
Would post this in the Geno thread, but I’m sure the more open-minded and reasonable Geno fans come here on a regular basis & can bestow their own take on this matter.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I also don't believe if Sora gets in it eliminates geno or vice versa. If Geno doesn't make the cut, I'm more inclined to believe that its just because Nintendo didn't want to use the character for a multitude of reasons.

As for Sora, if he doesn't make it, its probably because a deal couldn't be reached with Disney. If any of these rumors are true, we at least know he was on Nintendo's radar. Either way I expect him to be close to the last character considering 2021 is the 20th anniversary for KH with a new game on the way.
2022 is the 20th anniversary

Top Bottom