• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Hey all, so I did a little digging into that Pirates mobile game that ZeRo was plugging in his Min Min video

The game is published by a Chinese company called Joycity. It's entirely possible THEY were the ones to reach out to him for a sponsorship... but I can't help but think it would still have to go through Disney first. Joycity doesn't have many games under their belt and Pirates is their ONLY game with a major IP brand. Plus ZeRo has Disney's name in big bold letters in the corner as he does his sponsored spiel

Unfortunately that doesn't exactly answer our question: Why would Disney be interested in sponsoring a Smashtuber? I've yet to see any other YouTuber be sponsored by Disney for this Pirates game either

It's all very strange
well it being a chinese company, I bet they didnt go through anyone

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Hey all, so I did a little digging into that Pirates mobile game that ZeRo was plugging in his Min Min video

The game is published by a Chinese company called Joycity. It's entirely possible THEY were the ones to reach out to him for a sponsorship... but I can't help but think it would still have to go through Disney first. Joycity doesn't have many games under their belt and Pirates is their ONLY game with a major IP brand. Plus ZeRo has Disney's name in big bold letters in the corner as he does his sponsored spiel

Unfortunately that doesn't exactly answer our question: Why would Disney be interested in sponsoring a Smashtuber? I've yet to see any other YouTuber be sponsored by Disney for this Pirates game either

It's all very strange
I would wager that Disney's name being in the video is just the usual licensing info ie: these characters, and Pirates of the Carribean are owned by Disney. I'm sure the ad itself had to go through Disney in some form to make sure it followed whatever their guidelines were, but that's not the same as a direct sponsorship. It's probably best to assume Joycity is the sole responsible party.

Do we know if ZeRo works with Maker? Maker is a company kind of like Machinima, and Disney acquired them quite a while back. If ZeRo runs content through Maker then that could explain why he has an ad for a game with Disney content.

Edit: So it's looking pretty unlikely that ZeRo is in a partnership with Disney. Disney Digital Network is Disney's own internal Multi Channel Network (an organization that works with video platforms for product, programming, funding, cross promotions, partner management, etc) formed from the previously absorbed Maker Studios. Prior to being absorbed into Disney Digital Network, Maker Studios had around 60,000 Youtube partnerships, but reduced this number to around 1,000 only a few months before being merged with DDN. It also looks like Maker Studios has a pretty rough history with how they manage their contracts and partnerships.

The last major deal DDN made was in 2018 with Twitch for exclusive content from four youtubers, three of which were Toby Turner, Markiplier, and Jacksepticeye. I don't see any info on who the fourth could be, but considering it's been a couple years without any major partnerships it doesn't seem as though Disney is interested in this approach to advertising currently. We would probably be better served in keeping an eye on their licensing endeavors for upcoming games rather than ad placement.

I found all this info on Wikipedia for those interested. I didn't do a ton of research so if anything is wrong feel free to correct me.

So what all does this mean for Sora in Smash? Well, basically a whole lot of nothing. We know Disney is still interested in licensing content out for video games, which is way more than what we had before.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

It's all very strange
Okay, we know who made the game, but that's not the real question for me. I need to know how many people are being sponsored to promote this game. Ugh... This is gonna lead mr to some real fruitless digging ain't it?

EDIT

NEVER MIND!
Looks like it didn't take that much digging at all! Excluding Zero, there have been (at the very least) 10 other youtubers who have recieved a sponsorship to promote the game over the past 3 years. Most of them being phone related content providers. Out of the 10 only 2 of them were channels which were seemingly unrelated to gaming/phoneapps. The most recent vid I could find was pretty close to Zero's video in terms of releasing so I can't really say if there was any intention towards giving a sponsorship to a smash tuber. They've also been getting a tad more aggresive in advertising, considering the release windows of each vid. Soooooooo yeah! I am now in the same camp as M@R!3. I'm extremly doubtful that this has anything to do with Sora or Smash. This is probably just a strange coincidence.
Here's the playlist I compiled thus far, which does not include Zero!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5RVAgEdCvjPJFeNQbVyrhktexNfTaEAo

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I just thought of something. Supposedly Disney is looking to reboot Pirates down the line without Johnny Depp due to some allegations. This Pirates game is a few years old. Perhaps the ad is a last ditch attempt by Joycity to make some money off the property before Disney erases it?

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I just thought of something. Supposedly Disney is looking to reboot Pirates down the line without Johnny Depp due to some allegations. This Pirates game is a few years old. Perhaps the ad is a last ditch attempt by Joycity to make some money off the property before Disney erases it?
I mean... I doubt it. Especially after looking through the list of sponsored vids.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I mean... I doubt it. Especially after looking through the list of sponsored vids.
It was just a thought. After seeing your edit that's almost certainly not the case, not that it was likely to begin with.

At least we have a pretty definitive answer- independently placed ads. That's much better than sitting around for months in limbo.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I mean that's a definite possibility; but I also don't see that reboot happening for another three years with this year basically being cancelled because of the pandemic so I wouldn't see there being any real 'urgency' to rake it in

Okay, we know who made the game, but that's not the real question for me. I need to know how many people are being sponsored to promote this game. Ugh... This is gonna lead mr to some real fruitless digging ain't it?

EDIT

NEVER MIND!
Looks like it didn't take that much digging at all! Excluding Zero, there have been (at the very least) 10 other youtubers who have recieved a sponsorship to promote the game over the past 3 years. Most of them being phone related content providers. Out of the 10 only 2 of them were channels which were seemingly unrelated to gaming/phoneapps. The most recent vid I could find was pretty close to Zero's video in terms of releasing so I can't really say if there was any intention towards giving a sponsorship to a smash tuber. They've also been getting a tad more aggresive in advertising, considering the release windows of each vid. Soooooooo yeah! I am now in the same camp as M@R!3. I'm extremly doubtful that this has anything to do with Sora or Smash. This is probably just a strange coincidence.
Here's the playlist I compiled thus far, which does not include Zero!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5RVAgEdCvjPJFeNQbVyrhktexNfTaEAo
Oho! A good find! Excellent work!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Big brain moment is to have SSBU x Melody of Memory so the parties involved are obligated to put in a boat load of music.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You jest, but I genuinely want as much KH music in Smash as possible. **** Square Enix's stinginess; we need that awesome music!
two things: 1 KH is owned by disney so its them wholl be licencing the music, 2 google how much FF stuf SE let level-5 use in yo-kai watch wibble wobble and maybe youll see how "stingy" they really are

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I'm working on a video talking about Sora in Smash bros. Hopefully it'll be a bit different from other videos out there.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
This video by BrawlFan1 is worth a bit of talking about. He even discusses a...unique gimmick idea for Sora.
I've already posted that vid here a while ago and it's STILL my favorite suggestion for a moveset out of all the ones I've seen to date. I genuinely hope they head in this general direction for Sora's moveset if they ever choose to include him.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Did he happen to have a source on that?
He's not making statement with a source, just an interestingly valid point. Basically, HMK was reffering to the low quality, badly designed merchandise that you normally see being sold around in stores.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
You jest, but I genuinely want as much KH music in Smash as possible. **** Square Enix's stinginess; we need that awesome music!
Legally speaking that had really nothing to do with Square Enix. The ost of FF7 is owned by the composer not Square Enix. It's time to stop blaming Square Enix for a thing that was out of their control.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Legally speaking that had really nothing to do with Square Enix. The ost of FF7 is owned by the composer not Square Enix. It's time to stop blaming Square Enix for a thing that was out of their control.
The copyright listing for FFVII's ost (and pretty much every FF ost I've seen) is under Square Enix. Look at the copyright listing for the songs in Smash, or on the official releases of the soundtracks, or even Uematsu's independent albums that have FF music and you'll see the songs are owned by Square.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I just beat the secret boss in Remind after a 10-11 hour play session (yes, a single sitting). Adding my other runs to this last one I'd estimate he took around a day of solid play time to beat. Not even Lingering Will took this this long. Between the two I would say Lingering Will is probably harder, but Remind's secret boss punishes mistakes far more harshly.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Octopath of all games is getting a Spirit Event. Funny how this is not only our first Spirit Event with new Spirits since Trials of Mana (another Square Enix game) but both of them are from Square’s lesser-known games.
that theory would work if this wasnt a disney owned character

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Just a thought - what if Sora came with the Kingdom Hearts versions of One Winged Angel and Twister (from TWEWY). They're specifically KH versions of those tracks. Bayo came with the version of the After Burner theme from her game.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Just a thought - what if Sora came with the Kingdom Hearts versions of One Winged Angel and Twister (from TWEWY). They're specifically KH versions of those tracks. Bayo came with the version of the After Burner theme from her game.
We couldn't even get One Winged Angel with Cloud.

I guess Disney might own the arrangement but the original song still belongs to Square so while it would be cool, I just don't see it happening.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
We couldn't even get One Winged Angel with Cloud.

I guess Disney might own the arrangement but the original song still belongs to Square so while it would be cool, I just don't see it happening.
All the KH original songs would still have to be approved by Square Enix too so there's a chance.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
All the KH original songs would still have to be approved by Square Enix too so there's a chance.
The soundtracks are released through Disney's record label and so I'm assuming they own all the original tracks, much like how they own all the original KH content. Only reason it would go through Square is as a courtesy.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
With how much Yoko has done for Smash already I wouldn't be worried about music tbh lol. I'm sure Disney wouldn't make it difficult, if they accept to give us Sora they will want Sakurai to make a big deal of it, considering how they market their stuff.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The soundtracks are released through Disney's record label and so I'm assuming they own all the original tracks, much like how they own all the original KH content. Only reason it would go through Square is as a courtesy.
I'm pretty sure the only songs Disney has full control over are the Disney original tracks (This is Halloween, Let it go and Under the sea) and the vocal tracks (Simple and clean, Sanctuary and Face your fears)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm pretty sure the only songs Disney has full control over are the Disney original tracks (This is Halloween, Let it go and Under the sea) and the vocal tracks (Simple and clean, Sanctuary and Face your fears)
Well I've done some digging and now I'm just confused. Disney seems to have the copyright for the original KH soundtrack but where Shimomura has included KH songs on her own album, Disney is not listed. Square Enix is but the album features tracks from the Mana series and FFXV.

Unless you've got something else concrete to add, it's just weird. I don't see Disney owning the vocal tracks but then leaving everything else to either Shimomura or Square.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Well I've done some digging and now I'm just confused. Disney seems to have the copyright for the original KH soundtrack but where Shimomura has included KH songs on her own album, Disney is not listed. Square Enix is but the album features tracks from the Mana series and FFXV.

Unless you've got something else concrete to add, it's just weird. I don't see Disney owning the vocal tracks but then leaving everything else to either Shimomura or Square.
Music rights are complicated it seems. I just looked through a bunch of soundtracks with KH music, and Disney doesn't appear to be involved with a lot of them, at least not at first glance.

As far as Yoko's album, pretty sure those versions of the songs are unique to it as they're on real instruments. Everything prior to Drammatica's release in 2008 is midi that's either from the games themselves, or rerecorded. I'm thinking that Disney may not need to be credited as long as the song is a different version from those produced for the games, either that, or there's some hidden licensing going on.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Music rights are complicated it seems. I just looked through a bunch of soundtracks with KH music, and Disney doesn't appear to be involved with a lot of them, at least not at first glance.

As far as Yoko's album, pretty sure those versions of the songs are unique to it as they're on real instruments. Everything prior to Drammatica's release in 2008 is midi that's either from the games themselves, or rerecorded. I'm thinking that Disney may not need to be credited as long as the song is a different version from those produced for the games, either that, or there's some hidden licensing going on.
From what I understand, there's copyright for the underlying song (which in turn can be separated further with lyrics, arrangement, etc.) and copyright for the recording. At least according to Discog, because good lord is it hard to find clear images of the packaging showing the rights attribution, both are owned by Disney for the original KH soundtrack.

I feel like if Disney does own the original song they'd be attributed unless Disney was lax with whatever terms were made or just don't own it.

I am basing all this on how Smash handles its music copyright attributions in game and how Uematsu's use of his video game tracks for his independent albums are handled. Of course Smash could just be going the extra mile and Square and Disney just make different agreements.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
From what I understand, there's copyright for the underlying song (which in turn can be separated further with lyrics, arrangement, etc.) and copyright for the recording. At least according to Discog, because good lord is it hard to find clear images of the packaging showing the rights attribution, both are owned by Disney for the original KH soundtrack.

I feel like if Disney does own the original song they'd be attributed unless Disney was lax with whatever terms were made or just don't own it.

I am basing all this on how Smash handles its music copyright attributions in game and how Uematsu's use of his video game tracks for his independent albums are handled. Of course Smash could just be going the extra mile and Square and Disney just make different agreements.
I found this on the Kingdom Hearts website under the streaming guidelines for 2.8.

All KINGDOM HEARTS 2.8 content, images, video, characters, music, and/or other elements of expression are copyright Walt Disney Company (Japan) Ltd. (“Disney”) (with a few exceptions). You may not reproduce, distribute, perform, publicly display, or modify such materials without express prior written approval of the copyright owner, except as expressly authorized below and subject to the Terms of Use below.

Here's a link. You'll need to click the text that says "KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue Streaming Guidelines" at the bottom of the page.

Those few exceptions are likely the public domain tracks in Symphony of Sorcery, Utada Hikaru's songs, and the Kingdom versions of TWEWY tracks which I'd assume to belong to Square.

Unfortunately I can't find anything this clear cut for the other games, but it seems to support the idea that all versions of the music featured in the games are owned by Disney unless it's from something else like Final Fantasy, etc. It also doesn't answer much in the way of our questions regarding those albums/soundtracks.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

Big brain moment is to have SSBU x Melody of Memory so the parties involved are obligated to put in a boat load of music.
If Sora got in Smash do you think that it would become canon with the series. I feel like the series is so dumb with "spinoff's" that it would make Smash have some plot relevance to KH.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
If Sora got in Smash do you think that it would become canon with the series. I feel like the series is so dumb with "spinoff's" that it would make Smash have some plot relevance to KH.
No.

For all people joke that Nomura makes KH plushies and **** canon to the story, he actually doesn't. People unfamiliar with the series think non-numbered titles are spin-offs when that the actual spin offs are like the VR Experience or Gummiship Studio. The only time important pieces of information relevant to the plot have been in anything other than a main entry has been the Director's Secret Reports.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I feel like the most we'd get is a Paultena's guidance of Cloud and Sora talking to each other about past Kingdom Hearts events.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I feel like the most we'd get is a Paultena's guidance of Cloud and Sora talking to each other about past Kingdom Hearts events.
Would be a bit weird considering it's Cloud form FFVII and not KH. He'd have no recollection of the events.

Even weirder because DLC don't get Palutena's Guidances.

Top Bottom