• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Sooooooooooooo... Disney is now making their own fighting game I guess. Or HAS made their own fighting game. Wish this were here last year, but yeah. Any thoughts?
I thought they didnt like having their characters beat each other up?

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I don't think that was ever a thing that any official representative of Disney has ever said. But I could be wrong about that. Assuming I am wrong though, they could always change their minds anytime they'd want. Afterall, it's their IPs we're talking about.

Powerman293

Smash Ace

Sooooooooooooo... Disney is now making their own fighting game I guess. Or HAS made their own fighting game. Wish this were here last year, but yeah. Any thoughts?
I thought the whole "Sora can't be in because Dinsey doesn't like having their characters fight each other" was a flimsy argument given that Sora isn't worth nearly as much to the Disney brand as say, Aladdin. Well, if Disney is willing to do this for their BIGGEST characters, then that argument is gone.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think that was ever a thing that any official representative of Disney has ever said. But I could be wrong about that. Assuming I am wrong though, they could always change their minds anytime they'd want. Afterall, it's their IPs we're talking about.
I thought the whole "Sora can't be in because Dinsey doesn't like having their characters fight each other" was a flimsy argument given that Sora isn't worth nearly as much to the Disney brand as say, Aladdin. Well, if Disney is willing to do this for their BIGGEST characters, then that argument is gone.
it was actually normua who said this, it was the explanation he gave when early in development he switch dissidia from kingdom hearts to final fantasy

disney have tried making a fighting game in the past and you can find concept art of it with the likes of the beast and the horned king

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
it was actually normua who said this, it was the explanation he gave when early in development he switch dissidia from kingdom hearts to final fantasy

disney have tried making a fighting game in the past and you can find concept art of it with the likes of the beast and the horned king
Dude A KH fighting game would be sweet.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
If, by some miracle, you haven't heard the news about the 6th fighter, then I suggest you stay off the internet for a good while. That is, if you don't want to know. If you don't, I'll tag the specifics under spoilers and ask that anyone partaking in the conversation do the same.

So... An Arms character is the 6th fighter... well, I can only say congrats to the people who want Rex, or any other Xenoblade character as their chances for a spot on the roster just grew by three sizes. However I am worried about how this'll bode for Sora. Our first character is someone from Arms, which means this fighters pass is probably going to focus more on advertising first party content. Arm's time has already passed too, all things considered... So we could already be looking at inclusions along the lines of Ringfit, Xenoblade, Astral Chain, LoZ, Waluigi, pokemon, and probably several others that I'm forgetting... (Although I ignored Mario and FE because they've gotten a spot on the DLC roster, I am not foolish enough to believe that they're off the table) NOW! With all that out of the way, where does that leave Sora speculation wise? In a bad spot. At least, that's what I think. Same with any other 3rd party character honestly. There's always a good chance that they just wanted to start off with Arms and the Nintendo really believes in the IP, but because it's arms, I don't know what to think...

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If, by some miracle, you haven't heard the news about the 6th fighter, then I suggest you stay off the internet for a good while. That is, if you don't want to know. If you don't, I'll tag the specifics under spoilers and ask that anyone partaking in the conversation do the same.

So... An Arms character is the 6th fighter... well, I can only say congrats to the people who want Rex, or any other Xenoblade character as their chances for a spot on the roster just grew by three sizes. However I am worried about how this'll bode for Sora. Our first character is someone from Arms, which means this fighters pass is probably going to focus more on advertising first party content. Arm's time has already passed too, all things considered... So we could already be looking at inclusions along the lines of Ringfit, Xenoblade, Astral Chain, LoZ, Waluigi, pokemon, and probably several others that I'm forgetting... (Although I ignored Mario and FE because they've gotten a spot on the DLC roster, I am not foolish enough to believe that they're off the table) NOW! With all that out of the way, where does that leave Sora speculation wise? In a bad spot. At least, that's what I think. Same with any other 3rd party character honestly. There's always a good chance that they just wanted to start off with Arms and the Nintendo really believes in the IP, but because it's arms, I don't know what to think...
There's literally no reason why this affects Sora whatsoever, lol. That's never been a thing, no character is making his situation and chances any different. Come on. 5 more to go!

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
There's literally no reason why this affects Sora whatsoever, lol. That's never been a thing, no character is making his situation and chances any different. Come on. 5 more to go!
I mean, I've certainly heard that before. And I never said it did since these characters have all already been chosen. However in terms of speculation, having a character chosen from an IP that flopped over a heavily requested character paints a different picture from what you are claiming here.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

this isnt about advertising arms, sakurai wanted to include an arms character he told us himself

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
He did? When?
He also told us that Nintendo was still choosing the selection.
he said it during one of the directs when he said arms and xenoblade 2 were "too new" (though i may be inferring meaning there) so he was already open to the idea
yes, nintendo come up with the ideas and the sakurai either accepts or rejects them, they pick the characters together

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
he said it during one of the directs when he said arms and xenoblade 2 were "too new" (though i may be inferring meaning there) so he was already open to the idea
Are you sure it wasn't an interview? Because I just saw the direct in question and he didn't mention ARMS at all. Even after showing the assist throphies.

yes, nintendo come up with the ideas and the sakurai either accepts or rejects them, they pick the characters together
Accepts or rejects them due to how viable they are as playable characters, not in accordance to his tastes. Sakurai's input only goes as far as the gameplay.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Are you sure it wasn't an interview? Because I just saw the direct in question and he didn't mention ARMS at all. Even after showing the assist throphies.

Accepts or rejects them due to how viable they are as playable characters, not in accordance to his tastes. Sakurai's input only goes as far as the gameplay.
It was probably in a Sakurai Column.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

having double checked it was an interview with dream magazine

how viable he sees them as fighters, he maintains his right to reject who ever he wants, nintendo are not forcing their own ideas on this, all characters are character hes ok with on some level

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
having double checked it was an interview with dream magazine
All right cool, thanks!

how viable he sees them as fighters, he maintains his right to reject who ever he wants, nintendo are not forcing their own ideas on this, all characters are character hes ok with on some level
And that level is exclusive to gameplay viability. Infact we even had an interview that expressed this. Where he said that he believed there were too many Fire Emblem/sword characters in the game as it was. Despite this we still got Byleth. Here's an article expressing this:
https://kotaku.com/masahiro-sakurai-says-there-are-too-many-fire-emblem-ch-1841514338

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And that level is exclusive to gameplay viability. Infact we even had an interview that expressed this. Where he said that he believed there were too many Fire Emblem/sword characters in the game as it was. Despite this we still got Byleth. Here's an article expressing this:
https://kotaku.com/masahiro-sakurai-says-there-are-too-many-fire-emblem-ch-1841514338
it really isnt, everyone knows sakurai loves FE, you watch the byleth video and you can tell. sakurai claiming that he thinks there are too many FE characters is not a statement you should take at face value, him saying that would be like me and the rest of the toad brigade saying theres to many toads in treasure tracker, no body would buy that. sakurai loves fire emblem no body forced his hand with byleth, it may have nintendos idea but he was more than happy to do it

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
it really isnt, everyone knows sakurai loves FE, you watch the byleth video and you can tell. sakurai claiming that he thinks there are too many FE characters is not a statement you should take at face value, him saying that would be like me and the rest of the toad brigade saying theres to many toads in treasure tracker, no body would buy that. sakurai loves fire emblem no body forced his hand with byleth, it may have nintendos idea but he was more than happy to do it
By that logic, we should ignore everything Sakurai says because he just can just say whatever he wants at his convenience and we'd be none the wiser. Why even use him as a source of reference If you're just going to cherry pick what you want to believe? Not to mention that this bias argument doesn't really hold up when you consider that Banjo was chosen over Minecraft Steve, a character featured in a game that Sakurai sung high praise for. Or the fact that Hero/Cloud was chosen over Geno, a character that Sakurai had expressed intrest in having join the roster. If you're going to play the "he's lying 'cause he's biased" card, I'd at least like more evidence than "he liked him". Because as far as we know, Sakurai likes a lot of games and characters, that will never be chosen for the roster.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
By that logic, we should ignore everything Sakurai says because he just can just say whatever he wants at his convenience and we'd be none the wiser. Why even use him as a source of reference If you're just going to cherry pick what you want to believe? Not to mention that this bias argument doesn't really hold up when you consider that Banjo was chosen over Minecraft Steve, a character featured in a game that Sakurai sung high praise for. Or the fact that Hero/Cloud was chosen over Geno, a character that Sakurai had expressed intrest in having join the roster. If you're going to play the "he's lying 'cause he's biased" card, I'd at least like more evidence than "he liked him". Because as far as we know, Sakurai likes a lot of games and characters, that will never be chosen for the roster.
no im saying you take what he says at face value when his actions says other wise, you gotta use your own judgement to decided whether a person, any person, is being truthful. by your own logic we just accept that sakurai tells us hes not bias to fire emblem solely because he told us so, even though he keeps putting in characters, even though he still has the right to block any character he wants he still does it. youve got to look at what he says what he does, how old the thing he says is and remember that he just as capable of changing his mind as any other human and use you best judgement, dont just blindly accept the things he says as concrete facts, the man contradicts himself plenty of times. and i never once said that sakurai once only puts in characters he likes, he does listen to the fans (ridley) but it clearly only goes so far (isaac) he returns to some ides, there are others he doesnt. sakurai walks the fine line between what he wants and what the fans want, no body is forcing him to do anything

i never once said he was lying about be bias towards fire emblem, i think hes in denial. even if nintendo forced him to put in byleth (and id like more evidence than we just take his word for it) theres still 7 other characters to nobody forced him to put in

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SORA AND KINGDOM HEARTS!

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
no im saying you take what he says at face value when his actions says other wise, you gotta use your own judgement to decided whether a person, any person, is being truthful. by your own logic we just accept that sakurai tells us hes not bias to fire emblem solely because he told us so, even though he keeps putting in characters, even though he still has the right to block any character he wants he still does it. youve got to look at what he says what he does, how old the thing he says is and remember that he just as capable of changing his mind as any other human and use you best judgement, dont just blindly accept the things he says as concrete facts, the man contradicts himself plenty of times.
He literally mentions that Nintendo makes the picks from the start. He also mentioned that he accepts or denies characters based on their viability in terms of gameplay. He hasn't contradicted himself at all in the articleI I provided. I have more reason to believe his words over some baseless speculation from someone who niether works with or knows him on a personal level.

and i never once said that sakurai once only puts in characters he likes, he does listen to the fans (ridley) but it clearly only goes so far (isaac) he returns to some ides, there are others he doesnt. sakurai walks the fine line between what he wants and what the fans want, no body is forcing him to do anything
That point is only backed by the base game roster, where he had more freedom. Meanwhile in the DLC roster, we already know for a fact that Nintendo is, at the very least, heavily involved with the selection.
i never once said he was lying about be bias towards fire emblem, i think hes in denial. even if nintendo forced him to put in byleth (and id like more evidence than we just take his word for it) theres still 7 other characters to nobody forced him to put in
If you're talking about the base game, it's 11. And even then, Sakurai chose characters based from the fighters pass. Before Nintendo got involved.

Now if I may be so blunt I'd to get something off my chest here. Sorry of it comes off as rude, but I feel that you asking for evidence that Nintendo is forcing it is actually pretty insulting when you haven't brought a single substantive argument to the table. Meanwhile I could at least make a case for Nintendo wanting to promote more Fire Emblem considering how well they've been treating the series ever since Awakening, the massive success of FE Heroes, and even promoting the 3 houses DLC along side Byleth's reveal. Then we have Sakurai, who has expressed a distaste for including sword characters due to a lack of variety in terms of gameplay and who evidently knows about the stigma against adding more FE characters to the roster. Add the fact that Sakurai is a 3rd party developer working on a first party game and we're left with little reason to believe that he'd have as much authority as you claim he would in this scenario. You, on the other hand, have relied solely on the fact that Sakurai likes Fire Emblem. It's literally the entire basis of your argument and it comes as soon as there was a statement from Sakurai that was, what I can only assume to be, a major inconvenience for your argument. If you're saying we can't trust Sakurai's words, I. Need. More. Proof. More than just some baseless speculation. Otherwise, my point still stands.

Edit:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SORA AND KINGDOM HEARTS!

It's been one hell of a ride!

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
What a great ride the KH series has been in its first 18 years.

Looking forward to what the next instalments bring.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
He literally mentions that Nintendo makes the picks from the start. He also mentioned that he accepts or denies characters based on their viability in terms of gameplay. He hasn't contradicted himself at all in the articleI I provided. I have more reason to believe his words over some baseless speculation from someone who niether works with or knows him on a personal level.

That point is only backed by the base game roster, where he had more freedom. Meanwhile in the DLC roster, we already know for a fact that Nintendo is, at the very least, heavily involved with the selection.

If you're talking about the base game, it's 11. And even then, Sakurai chose characters based from the fighters pass. Before Nintendo got involved.

Now if I may be so blunt I'd to get something off my chest here. Sorry of it comes off as rude, but I feel that you asking for evidence that Nintendo is forcing it is actually pretty insulting when you haven't brought a single substantive argument to the table. Meanwhile I could at least make a case for Nintendo wanting to promote more Fire Emblem considering how well they've been treating the series ever since Awakening, the massive success of FE Heroes, and even promoting the 3 houses DLC along side Byleth's reveal. Then we have Sakurai, who has expressed a distaste for including sword characters due to a lack of variety in terms of gameplay and who evidently knows about the stigma against adding more FE characters to the roster. Add the fact that Sakurai is a 3rd party developer working on a first party game and we're left with little reason to believe that he'd have as much authority as you claim he would in this scenario. You, on the other hand, have relied solely on the fact that Sakurai likes Fire Emblem. It's literally the entire basis of your argument and it comes as soon as there was a statement from Sakurai that was, what I can only assume to be, a major inconvenience for your argument. If you're saying we can't trust Sakurai's words, I. Need. More. Proof. More than just some baseless speculation. Otherwise, my point still stands.
firstly i never said he contradicted himself in that article, i just said he contradictory (see reason for leaving out urban champion and reason for leaving out snk's mai) my speculation isnt basely its based on what ive seen over the course of the series, you also neither work with him nor know him personally and yet your perfectly fine to just believe everything he says as though you know him to be the most honest person on the planet, even though his own rules change all the time (see ridley)

i never once said nintendo werent involved, im just saying sakurai still has plenty of freedom

i was talking about the fire emblem characters

what is your point? we have no reason to think sakurai's lying so nintendo must be forcing him to include character he doesnt want? one from a series hes shown plenty of preference for and one whom he had considered to be in the game before? you want proof, he said he couldnt include urban champion due to having to few attacks and then added the ice climbers who had even fewer https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/1009/index.html . he said he didnt included mai but she was to sexulized while both zero suit and shulk were practically running around in the skud, youll find it in terry's video. and you say im making about how sakurai thinks? this started because you couldnt comprehend that sakurai might like arms because you think it was a "flop" despite being the 19th best selling video game on switch (just below ring fit and just above mario + rabids) youre also making assumptions about the process works that sakurai just goes with what ever so long as he thinks he can them playable.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Ugh, it's been a while. After a couple of weeks worth of technical issues that weren't fixable thanks to a certain plague upon the world things seem to have worked themselves out.... I think. We'll see how long it lasts. Haven't been able to keep up with much of anything, but I did manage to see the latest reveal. So aside from FP6 has anything else of interest come up?

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Ugh, it's been a while. After a couple of weeks worth of technical issues that weren't fixable thanks to a certain plague upon the world things seem to have worked themselves out.... I think. We'll see how long it lasts. Haven't been able to keep up with much of anything, but I did manage to see the latest reveal. So aside from FP6 has anything else of interest come up?
Nah not really. CacoMallow still hasn't been debunked. So the odds of the Mallow costume coming with Sora is still possible.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Nah not really. CacoMallow still hasn't been debunked. So the odds of the Mallow costume coming with Sora is still possible.
Can't say I'm surprised. Things will probably be really, really, slow for the foreseeable future.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
firstly i never said he contradicted himself in that article, i just said he contradictory (see reason for leaving out urban champion and reason for leaving out snk's mai) my speculation isnt basely its based on what ive seen over the course of the series, you also neither work with him nor know him personally and yet your perfectly fine to just believe everything he says as though you know him to be the most honest person on the planet, even though his own rules change all the time (see ridley)
Really? Because last time I checked your speculation revolved around Sakurai having a choice when the man himself said otherwise. The reason why I'm quick to believe him over what you're speculating about (which is still baseless, mind you, because your examples never fit within the time period of the Smash Ultimate DLC), is because he's the guy working behind the scenes and the only official source of information we use on a regular basis. Meanwhile, as far as I see it, you're someone who is trying to combat his inconvenient statements with baseless speculation. Rules change, sure. But in this case, these aren't rules. We've known for a long time Nintendo was making these choices, that information has not been contradicted and as a result, it's valid.

what is your point? we have no reason to think sakurai's lying so nintendo must be forcing him to include character he doesnt want? one from a series hes shown plenty of preference for and one whom he had considered to be in the game before? you want proof, he said he couldnt include urban champion due to having to few attacks and then added the ice climbers who had even fewer https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/1009/index.html . he said he didnt included mai but she was to sexulized while both zero suit and shulk were practically running around in the skud, youll find it in terry's video. and you say im making about how sakurai thinks? this started because you couldnt comprehend that sakurai might like arms because you think it was a "flop" despite being the 19th best selling video game on switch (just below ring fit and just above mario + rabids) youre also making assumptions about the process works that sakurai just goes with what ever so long as he thinks he can them playable.
Okay keeping this as short as I possibly can:
After seeing gameplay from both Iceclimbers and Urban champion, you are simply reaching with that argument. And the example was far removed from the topic at hand.

Sakurai mentioned the Japanese age rating bored in the untranslated version of that same direct when talking about Mai, as expressed In THIS article. So it's safe to assume that Shulk and ZSS were safe and Mai took it a step too far in accordance to a 3rd party ratings board.

All of my statements and assumptions have been based around what I've read about in the past. I've brought up recent and relevant information to back all of my sentiments. You, who has yet to give me any proper evidence to show that Sakurai would've been lying or untrustworthy when he said he didn't want to add anymore FE characters, are in no position to criticize how I conduct my arguments here.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Really? Because last time I checked your speculation revolved around Sakurai having a choice when the man himself said otherwise. The reason why I'm quick to believe him over what you're speculating about (which is still baseless, mind you, because your examples never fit within the time period of the Smash Ultimate DLC), is because he's the guy working behind the scenes and the only official source of information we use on a regular basis. Meanwhile, as far as I see it, you're someone who is trying to combat his inconvenient statements with baseless speculation. Rules change, sure. But in this case, these aren't rules. We've known for a long time Nintendo was making these choices, that information has not been contradicted and as a result, it's valid.

Okay keeping this as short as I possibly can:
After seeing gameplay from both Iceclimbers and Urban champion, you are simply reaching with that argument. And the example was far removed from the topic at hand.

Sakurai mentioned the Japanese age rating bored in the untranslated version of that same direct when talking about Mai, as expressed In THIS article. So it's safe to assume that Shulk and ZSS were safe and Mai took it a step too far in accordance to a 3rd party ratings board.

All of my statements and assumptions have been based around what I've read about in the past. I've brought up recent and relevant information to back all of my sentiments. You, who has yet to give me any proper evidence to show that Sakurai would've been lying or untrustworthy when he said he didn't want to add anymore FE characters, are in no position to criticize how I conduct my arguments here.
i never once said sakurai was lying or untrustworthy i was saying you should take his statements with a pinch of salt, but if you want to believe sakurai is a robot incapable of be contradictory and just does whatever hes told thats your business. sakurai told us himself he has final say, he can reject any character he wants and hes well within his rights to do so.

but in the long run what does it matter if hes makes sense or is the most honest man in the world? lets stop this its not gonna change a thing, the characters have been picked, what does it matter who picked them? so lets just move on and get back to sora

and for what its worth im sorry if ive offend or upset you and for letting this get out of hand

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Don't know how many of you have seen this but there was a recent interview with Nomura talking a bit about KH.
https://www.khinsider.com/news/Nomu...s-in-final-issue-of-Dengeki-Playstation-16777

While I've seen plenty of focus on Yozora comments, I'm actually excited to hear that in addition to Dark Road, there are 2 more KH projects in the works with one of them coming, "pretty soon".
I just read this. If history repeats itself, I really do believe we'll probably get an entry for the switch as well. In terms of track record, the KH series has been on every handheld since the GBA. (CoM, 358/2, and DDD)
On the hopeful side, but if there is a KH game coming to the switch might mean good things in terms of smash.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I just read this. If history repeats itself, I really do believe we'll probably get an entry for the switch as well. In terms of track record, the KH series has been on every handheld since the GBA. (CoM, 358/2, and DDD)
On the hopeful side, but if there is a KH game coming to the switch might mean good things in terms of smash.
I could see it being Switch ports of the HD Remixes.

Top Bottom