• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I bet it'll either be his recovery or an asthetic effect for his techs/wall jumps.
That was sort of the idea with my hypothetical moveset:

I've made a more in-depth moveset for Sora, loosely based on HMK's video.

Who?: Sora is the main protagonist of the Kingdom Hearts series. After his world was initially destroyed by the Heartless, Sora travels with two new friends in search of his old ones, Riku and Kairi. His journeys take him and his friends to Ansem, Seeker of Darkness-the leader of the Heartless-and after a year of unknown sleep following the Ansem's defeat, into a battle with the Organization XIII, a mysterious group of by Xemnas. And from there, Sora's journeys lead to complications.

Sora is a kind yet naïve boy who won't hesitate to protect his friends or anyone else he can be on good terms with. Sora is also a somewhat reckless boy, having gotten himself into dangerous situations countless times.

Importance to Nintendo: Like Cloud, Sora isn't massively prevalent on Nintendo consoles; the only games on Nintendo consoles he's appeared in are Chain of Memories for the GBA, 358/2 Days and Re:Coded for the DS, and Dream Drop Distance for the 3DS.

Intro: Sora appeared from a save point and gets into his fighting stance.

Stance/Idle 1: Sora holds his Keyblade near his right hip and looks around.

Idle 2: Sora rests his Keyblade on his right shoulder for a few seconds.

Idle 3: Sora bares his teeth in the direction he's facing.

Notable Palette Swaps: KH3 outfit, KH2 outfit, KH3 Guardian Form, KH2 Valor Form, KH3 Element Form, KH2 Final Form, KH3 Second Form, KH2 Limit Form

Walk: His walk from the games.

Dash: His run from the games.

Damage: His damage animation from the games.

Jump: High Jump and Doubleflight.

Crouch: Crouches with his Keyblade's end on the ground, holding it.

Weapon of Choice: The Kingdom Key, the Keyblade Sora starts his journey with.

A,A,A: Slapshot; Sora slashes twice, then follows up with an uppercut (14%, OK knockback)
Forward+A: Speed Slash; Sora slashes twice (8% each hit, small knockback), and then does a quick dual slash (13%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Sliding Dash; Sora performs a slide across the ground, slightly faster than that of Cloud (12%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Upper Slash; Sora swings his Keyblade upwards with both hands (10%, OK knockback)

Air+A: Magnet Burst; Sora briefly surrounds himself with an array of magnetic orbs (13%, OK knockback). Pressing A again, if necessary, sends these orbs flying out (19%, medium knockback)
Air Forward+A: Aerial Finish; Sora slashes forward three times (12%, small knockback), and then finishes with a strong slash (10%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Aerial Sweep; Sora slashes behind himself three times (11%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Hurricane Blast; Sora vertically swings around four times with his Keyblade (14%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Diving Strike; Sora dives down and strikes the ground with his Keyblade (15%, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Prism Windmill; Sora spins Keyblade in front of him, protected by a shield of light (15%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Magic Flash; Sora lifts himself up and uses a flash of light that affects the area around him (11%, OK knockback)

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Strike Raid; Sora throws his Keyblade forward as it spins (15%, OK knockback). Pressing A again performs two more throws, and then the last throw is slightly stronger (18%, medium knockback)
Up+A: Ripple Drive; Sora swings upwards and summons a barrier of light with rectangular patterns (21%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Explosion; three orbs of light surround Sora as he thrusts his Keyblade down to the ground (22%, medium knockback)

Grab: Sora grabs the opponent with his open hand.
Pummel: Sora slaps his opponent with the handle of his Keyblade (8%)
Forwards+Throw: Quick Blitz; Sora thrusts his Keyblade on the ground in a downward arc (14%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Fail-Safe; Sora spins once before tossing the opponent on the ground (13%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: Merge; Sora spins around backwards before hurling the opponent in that direction (11%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Lunge n' Launch; Sora pushes the opponent forward and slashes upwards (13%, OK knockback)

Special Moves

B : Magic Selection; Sora can select a magic spell from his list (consisting of Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, and Aero). Once a spell is selected, it will stay on that spell until another is selected, which can be done on the fly.
B + Forwards : Sonic Blade; Sora thrusts forward four times, with consecutive button presses, after charging up (7% each hit, small knockback) and then performs a final stronger thrust (18%, OK knockback)
B + Up : Airstep/Flowmotion; Sora travels in the pointed direction at the speed of light after releasing the button (holding it slows him down for six seconds). When he comes in contact with a wall, Flowmotion will activate.
B + Down : Ars Arcanum; Sora charges up and unleashes a flurry of ten slashes (19%, OK knockback), and then finishes off with three stronger slashes (24%, medium knockback)

Magic Spells
>Fire: Sora shoots out a small fireball (9%, small knockback)
>Blizzard: Sora surrounds himself in an icy wind (11%, OK knockback) that has a chance of freezing the opponent. Sora can tilt forward after pressing B to create an icy rail, which he can then jump on for a Rail Slide.
>Thunder: Sora summons a spark from his Keyblade that surrounds a fair amount of his surroundings (15%, OK knockback)
>Aero: Sora shoots a wind arc from his Keyblade that turns into a mini-tornado (17%, OK knockback)

Final Smash: Ultimate Union Ragnarok; Sora attempts to unleash Ultimate Form (Final Form in his KH2 outfit), and catches any opponents he successfully hits (8%). The trapped opponents are taken into a cutscene as Sora slashes them with hundreds of swords (32%), and finishes off with Union Ragnarok, with the Lux symbol showing as he fires it (16%) (56% total, far knockback).

Gimmick: Situation Commands; after pulling off successful combos, three arrows appear by Sora's HUD, one by one. Once a combo is successful with all three arrows, a command appears above Sora's icon, and pressing B will activate one of five attacks, four of which are Grand Magic.

>Firaza: If the combo is kept up by constant Fire spells, Sora summons a giant fireball that can travel offscreen when it doesn't hit any opponents (24%, medium knockback)
>Blizzaza: If the combo is kept up by constant Blizzard spells, Sora fires a giant ice projectile that freezes the first opponent it hits, and sends all others flying (26%, medium knockback)
>Thundaza: If the combo is kept up by constant Thunder spells, a pillar of electricity appears and combos any opponents above Sora (26%, medium knockback)
>Aeroza: If the combo is kept up by Aero spells, Sora summons two tornadoes that circle him, sending opponents flying (28%, far knockback)
>Stun Impact: If the combo is kept up by melee attacks and no magic, Sora will briefly explode in a dome of light with a small electric effect, stunning anyone on the ground (23%, medium knockback)

Flowmotion: Sora's answer to acrobatic platforming. Activated when he comes in contact with a wall after Airstep, Sora can use two types of Flowmotion attacks:

>Shock Dive: An AOE slam attack Sora uses when he uses Superjump (19%, medium knockback)
>Kick Dive: Sora attacks immediately after shooting off a wall, pointing his feet at the enemy as the Keyblade spins around him.

Flowmotion's startup is indicated by a blue aura, while its fizzling out in a second is indicated by a pink aura. When Sora is using Superjump to recover, he will be left in free fall once Flowmotion goes away.

Taunts:

1: Sora wipes his nose and smiles.
2: "Yeah!" Sora raises his Keyblade high in the air.
1+2: Sora performs Break Time, where he spins around for a bit and says "ta-da!" as he puts his right hand on his hip and puts up his left hand.

Winposes:

1: "That's the power of the Keyblade!" Sora's victory animation from KH1, whenever he wins a tournament in Olympus Coliseum.
2: Sora spins his Keyblade and sticks it firmly in the ground, smiling (based on one of his renders based on KH1 artwork of him).
3: Sora opens a treasure chest as he does in the games, and a Meow Wow comes out to cuddle-tackle him.

Icon: The heart in KH series logo.

Boxing Ring Title: The Key from the Sky

Victory Music: A variation of Hikari (orchestra)

Kirby Hat: Sora's hair and necklace.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Man I can't stop thinking about the big opener for pass 2 and Sora being one of the best ways to do that and keep us in awe of what could even come next. Do you guys feel like flash step could be part of his combos? altho that would be kinda too powerful I guess, lol

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
In a shocking twist of fate:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/...disney-ceo.html#click=https://t.co/iTzoYstOXa

Not joking. Bob Iger has officially stepped down randomly as the CEO of Disney. In his place, Bob Chapek will open a new chapter for the company.

Under Iger, Disney has:

-Purchased Pixar for $7.4 billion (2006)

-Purchased Marvel for $4 billion (2009)

-Purchased Lucasfilm fir $4 billion (2012)

-Opened Shanghai Disneyland (2016)

-Launched ESPN+ (2018)

-Purchased FOX assets for $71 billion (2018)

-Launched Disney+ (2019)

We can only wonder what Disney will become under Chapek's thumb as the new CEO. This surely won't determine the chances of Sora getting in FP2, but maybe in a future game?

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Man I can't stop thinking about the big opener for pass 2 and Sora being one of the best ways to do that and keep us in awe of what could even come next. Do you guys feel like flash step could be part of his combos? altho that would be kinda too powerful I guess, lol
If Sora gets in as the first fighter, he would be as shocking as Cloud reveal for Smash 4. Maybe even more shocking.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You HAVE to be trolling if you ask "cloud was shocking?" lol, like seriously… you must be asleep that day because the internet freaking EXPLODED.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Cloud's reveal still feels like yesterday.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Cloud, Snake, and Joker were the biggest shockers by far

it would have to take Sora and Master Chief in the same trailer to overthrow them in shock value
for me the element of shock was lost long before joker, dont think i knew who snake was back then

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Cloud, Snake, and Joker were the biggest shockers by far

it would have to take Sora and Master Chief in the same trailer to overthrow them in shock value
Sora and Master chief are Sonic levels of hype. Not Snake, Cloud, or Joker. Those 3 were out of left field as opposed to Sora and Master Chief, who are heavily requested but are considered unlikely.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
or maybe everyone has different levels of shock to different characters and maybe comparing sock levels of one character to another is a bit redundant

D

Deleted member

Everyone reacts to a character differently but Sora and Master Chief. There’s no underselling how big that’d be the internet would explode if ether got in.

That’s just how I see it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Really cool to see news directly from japanese fanbase polls having Sora at their top as their most wanted (as we have seen in the past already, this has been the result for many, MANY polls already). If Nintendo isn't already aware of us worldwide (they are tho), then at least they gotta be in Japan lol.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
remember to take all online polls with a fair pinch of salt
They all have shown the same result of sora at the top. We aren't taking them as an official nintendo poll whatsoever, but they still have, all together, shown a clear constant result that would be most likely in an official one if there was one. If aaaall the fan polls from japan (so far) showed different top 1 results then it would mean truly nothing, but it has been the opposite and for quite a long while already and still going. It only speaks for fan demand of course, it doesnt change whatever the decision already made by nintendo was that is yet to be seen.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Meanwhile, news outlets continue to misinterpret the speculation over whether Disney Japan said "no".

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._ultimate_dlc_fighter_in_recent_japanese_poll
God i hate this. It is unbelievable that human beings (specially journalists) dont wash their ears and understand that imran simply did the following:
● say that his STILL predicted characters are sora and chief.
● confirm to the guy on his left that made a question, that yes, IF there would be anyone to stop sora from happening it would be disney japan. He only confirms who would be the responsable from that outcome, thats all.
● say that most likely nintendo has, at least once, gone to disney for talks on the subject.

And with that aside, there was also this statement by disney themselves saying they are indeed open to gaming devs to play around with the franchises they own.

It's so simple that i really lose hope in humanity when they can't just listen properly so often lol

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Settle down, for what it's worth, as an addendum. we got the Castle of Illusion series for the Sega Genesis Mini. With World of Illusion even getting on the Japanese Mega Drive version, no less.

No clickbait news is going to go against a distinct possibility that could come true.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Settle down, for what it's worth, as an addendum. we got the Castle of Illusion series for the Sega Genesis Mini. With World of Illusion even getting on the Japanese Mega Drive version, no less.

No clickbait news is going to go against a distinct possibility that could come true.
Yeah if anything it makes the naysayers' defeat even sweeter in the end.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
They all have shown the same result of sora at the top. We aren't taking them as an official nintendo poll whatsoever, but they still have, all together, shown a clear constant result that would be most likely in an official one if there was one. If aaaall the fan polls from japan (so far) showed different top 1 results then it would mean truly nothing, but it has been the opposite and for quite a long while already and still going. It only speaks for fan demand of course, it doesnt change whatever the decision already made by nintendo was that is yet to be seen.
Well even though Sora does constantly appear on fan polls of most regions I'm personally not sure that he would of been that high during the Nintendo ballot voting. The voting (I believe) occurred before Clouds inclusion so I imagine a lot of people put characters they actually believed might be possible. Personally I didn't vote for Sora because I assumed he'd have no chance and just wasn't in the realm of consideration. I really hope Nintendo has seen the demand for Sora in smash and have made some form of effort to try to get him in the game or at least maybe just Kingdom Hearts on the Switch.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
im saying you should take them with a pinch of salt cause internet polls are famously easy to tamper with, its perfectly believable that sora is a popular choice for smash but i just dont think we need polls to justify it. not ones that might get tampered with

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
im saying you should take them with a pinch of salt cause internet polls are famously easy to tamper with, its perfectly believable that sora is a popular choice for smash but i just dont think we need polls to justify it. not ones that might get tampered with
Again, with all polls from japan showing the same results and not just one or two polls doing it, I think it's a given that's indeed their most wanted. I doubt all of their polls were tampered. But what you say is still true of course.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Again, with all polls from japan showing the same results and not just one or two polls doing it, I think it's a given that's indeed their most wanted. I doubt all of their polls were tampered. But what you say is still true of course.
im perfectly willing to believe that sora is the most popular, especially with re: mind being quite new, i just cant trust polls

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
im perfectly willing to believe that sora is the most popular, especially with re: mind being quite new, i just cant trust polls
Yeah, those are easily manipulated. I recall that one Source Gaming consolidated poll results page somehow had no SNK characters whatsoever in it, even though there's a big South American scene for their games.

Ballot influence only becomes clear when specific characters are unveiled.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah, those are easily manipulated. I recall that one Source Gaming consolidated poll results page somehow had no SNK characters whatsoever in it, even though there's a big South American scene for their games.

I still think that every single poll out there from japan giving the same result of sora being on top is hard to ignore tho. It's not official but it's a decent lead of what the fandom wants over there. Because again, I doubt they would be tampering every single poll that has come out there lol.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

you should see some of the online polling stories from britain, there are unusually dull

I doubt they would be tampering every single poll that has come out there lol.
lets hope not

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Just had a random thought about mii costumes that could come with Sora with the theme tying them together is a Disney connection

SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X FINAL FANTASY (Chocobo hat)

SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X SUPER MARIO RPG (Geno)

SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU (Neku, with twister kingdom mix)

SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X CAPCOM (Ruby heart and Sonson)

SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X SOUL CALIBUR (Nightmare)

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Sora and Master chief are Sonic levels of hype. Not Snake, Cloud, or Joker. Those 3 were out of left field as opposed to Sora and Master Chief, who are heavily requested but are considered unlikely.
Master Chief was mostly joke suggestion at least until Cloud. And, he became a serious contender after Banjo.

As for Sora, does Sakurai want to put Sora? Looking at Mai, he would rather not put characters that won't be faithful to original. He could've chosen safer outfit for Mai, but didn't even for Spirit. It's still weird that Shantae is in as Spirit. If he feels Sora without Donald, Goofy or any other Disney trace is not faithful to Kingdom Heart, would he put it? Putting Disney content will break his oath: characters must originate from game." I am just asking. He can make exception and put Sora without Disney content, but what's chance? 50/50?

GhostRoy

Smash Apprentice
Grand Rapids, MI United States of America
NNID
RoyUchiha
You don't play as Donald or Goofy you play as Sora it is his story and game they are just supporting characters who lift his spirits via friendship. Cloud is in the game without his party members Disney characters would do just fine as spirits.

SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU (Neku, with twister kingdom mix)
A Neku Mii costume would be a dream come true

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah I think it's fair to remind that Sora has been already in like 2 games without disney representation, as a guest character. He doesn't need that. And comparing him to Mai is just… no, lol, just no. Not even remotely close. I can easily see Sora even have just the original KH characters as spirits and it would still be disney representation gaming-wise without the non gaming origin characters like donald and goofy, and even then we don't know if that's even a real limitation for elements that aren't the playable part, such as spirits. The only thing we know for certain is that the actual playable character has to be of videogame origin, and that's already covered. Whatever extra comes along is different situation entirely, and if it is an obstacle, again, Sora has been guest in games without it, so it's already precedented to not be a hard thing to deal with. It would just be the same with Smash. Mai is too lewd and that limits her entirely, no "but…"s for her, sadly. Way too different situation.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I am talking from Sakurai's perspective. Would he be fine with Sora without Disney content? He is different from those developers who put Sora in their games. That's why I am asking this. Would he make compromise to put Sora?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I am talking from Sakurai's perspective. Would he be fine with Sora without Disney content? He is different from those developers who put Sora in their games. That's why I am asking this. Would he make compromise to put Sora?
We got Cloud with *checks notes* **** all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the rules seem to change from character to character, theres plenty of characters who arent quite right

M@R!3

Smash Ace
It's been done in other games. Chances are we won't ever know Sakurai's stance on it until Sora gets in some form.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
the rules seem to change from character to character, theres plenty of characters who arent quite right
The only true rule he set is "characters must originate from video games." So far, it's not broken. "They must've been on Nintendo" is more of fan rule.

It's been done in other games. Chances are we won't ever know Sakurai's stance on it until Sora gets in some form.
Sora would be special case. He would be someone whom Sakurai will be willing to forsake his important elements. I seriously doubt he would try to open floodgate by putting Disney characters even as Spirit. There are still people who still think Goku has shot despite Sakurai shooting down multiple times.

Top Bottom