• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The pirates world did have snippits from the movie recreated but Sora still interacted a bit with Jack and the characters unlike Frozen where Sora didnt even talk to Elsa and the only tine I remeber Sora talking to the others was once in the stupid olaf minigame
he did talk to elsa

M@R!3

Smash Ace
The pirates world did have snippits from the movie recreated but Sora still interacted a bit with Jack and the characters unlike Frozen where Sora didnt even talk to Elsa and the only tine I remeber Sora talking to the others was once in the stupid olaf minigame
There was some, but it wasn't much.
You know for as much as the plot in the pirates world kinda blows it was still a pretty fun world to explore.
I really enjoyed Pirates despite the plot choices. It's in my top three Disney worlds in KH3 for sure.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Disney has correctly identified a competitor in Nintendo. Both are Legacy companies with own franchises that connecting several generations in diffrent ways. (games, series, merchs)
Nintendo takes a more relaxed view when creativity is given (with Official Nintendo Quality Lable). And the money is also right.
Disney is more interested in protecting its brands as well the controll about that, and Kingdom Hearts is one of those brands. In every form.

D

Deleted member

I read somewhere that Nintendo approached Disney to put Sora in the game, but they declined.

Personally, I never saw the appeal of KH in the first place (A super serious and convoluted story about saving the world... with a cartoon dog?), so I can't complain. Besides, that would technically label Mickey Mouse purely a video game character, due to the Disney association and that's completely wrong. That's probably why he was turned down.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I read somewhere that Nintendo approached Disney to put Sora in the game, but they declined.
This is false. Imran just believes Nintendo must have at least "once" approached Disney. There is no such thing as Disney having declined Sora.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman

Personally, I never saw the appeal of KH in the first place (A super serious and convoluted story about saving the world... with a cartoon dog?), so I can't complain. Besides, that would technically label Mickey Mouse purely a video game character, due to the Disney association and that's completely wrong. That's probably why he was turned down.
this is fake news, hes not deconfirmed,

this video can explain it better then me!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Besides, that would technically label Mickey Mouse purely a video game character, due to the Disney association and that's completely wrong. That's probably why he was turned down.
In this scenario Nintendo approached Disney, Why would they approach Disney in the first place if that's one of Nintendo's rules?

Besides there's enough Kingdom Hearts original characters that you can make a spirit board with just those and you'd be fine.

TriggerX

Smash Ace

It’s weird that people can’t separate the two. As I’ve said in the past, does a company really define a character?
Disney is such a big company, to say any character it owns is a cartoon character is ignorant. Personally I believe origin plays a bigger role in determining that.

The parent company of WB studios owns a lot of game characters as well. Sure they are known for the looney toons, but they technically own Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

Disney didn’t even create Sora, Square did and brought the idea to Disney because they wanted to use a line of familiar characters.

So idk, I am actually curious what defines a video game character to you?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It’s weird that people can’t separate the two. As I’ve said in the past, does a company really define a character?
Disney is such a big company, to say any character it owns is a cartoon character is ignorant. Personally I believe origin plays a bigger role in determining that.

The parent company of WB studios owns a lot of game characters as well. Sure they are known for the looney toons, but they technically own Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

Disney didn’t even create Sora, Square did and brought the idea to Disney because they wanted to use a line of familiar characters.

By this logic Scorpion can't be in Smash because he's part of the DC universe.

Sure he probably can't be in Smash for other reasons but this isn't that reason.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well not quite they were already working on the project with Disney by the time the made sora, originally mickey was to be the protagonist

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I guess I should have emphasised this before. Keyword: Rumour.

Personally, I don't believe the article. Until there is direct confirmation that Disney doesn't want Sora in Smash, I'm keeping mine fingers crossed.

If I’m not mistaken Disney was just way too involved with which Disney worlds and Disney plots the team could use and how they could use them.
As far as the underlying original story, I would say Nomura was probably still at fault for that.

Essentially Disney had a lot of say in what worlds and their content, and because most of the worlds were newer, the approval process was lengthened

Personally I really do enjoy the Disney worlds in KH, but some worlds in KH3 definitely felt forced. I feel like they’ve been ruining the series over time. Already decided awhile back that if Kh4 doesn’t solve the issues I had with KH3 I’ll be done with the series.

Might be this interview-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usgamer.net/amp/tetsuya-nomura-kingdom-hearts-3-interview

Unfortunately, this goes to show you that even Square has ”issues” working with Disney for Kingdom Hearts.
Hmm, that is a shame. Personally, I thought the Disney worlds in KH3 (especially Big Hero 6) had the potential for very dark, deep plots that would affect the original KH hearts characters in profound ways.

I thoroughly enjoyed the cutscenes in ReMind, as well as the character interactions mid-gameplay. Those at least show that Nomura had more freedom outside the Disney worlds. That said, if I were him, I would have used Twilight Town, Scala Ad Caelum, and Keyblade Graveyard as the main focuses in terms of plot.

It wasn't so much Disney as a whole rather than the people in charge of certain IPs KH3 worked with. Pixar, and the teams behind Frozen, Tangled, and Big Hero 6 are all still active forces at Disney with a vested interest in how the characters they created are treated and used. Pixar specifically asked that Nomura write original plots for the Toy Story and Monsters Inc. worlds. Frozen was stated to have the most guidelines out of every single world in the game, and they're absolutely the reason that world's plot does everything it can to sanitize itself of any KH alterations and interactions. Some of the creators also required Nomura to write the worlds plot out prior to starting work on building the world in game. This certainly contributed to KH3's pacing issues and disjointed world plots. KH had been very lucky up until this point to have a large number of classic properties to work with and little to no creator interference. Had Nomura pushed harder for more recent properties back during say, KH2, I think he would've run into the same issues.

As far as bad writing.... you can fix the pacing, you can make the worlds tie in with the plot, but there's no fixing the plot itself. If that's a problem the time to get off the ride was back when DDD came out. Or ask for a reboot, but that sounds far more nightmarish. I'm here because I enjoy the crazy plot, but I love the gameplay. Nothing else plays like KH.

I do hope they continue the tradition of including hard as nails post game content, but the main stories have never been challenging. I'm a bit worried the backlash the casual side of the KH community is directing at Remind's data battles may result in that sort of content being dropped entirely. At least the new abilities show Osaka has clearly learned how to do tight combat. Hopefully they don't disregard that just because the next game is "different/new".
Again, it's a shame Nomura wasn't given total freedom on how the plots would play out.

Personally, I'm hoping for a KH game that caters solely to the hardcore players. Not only could the plot be dark, the gameplay could be brutal. Since Birth by Sleep, I have always wanted Isa to star in his own game. That said, I think a dark plot and a brutal difficulty would suit him perfectly. I really enjoyed the data Organisation battles, and would like to see a KH game where every battle--both bosses and regular--had that level of difficulty.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I guess I should have emphasised this before. Keyword: Rumour.

Personally, I don't believe the article. Until there is direct confirmation that Disney doesn't want Sora in Smash, I'm keeping mine fingers crossed.
Looks like we're not doing a good job spreading this, huh?
Sora has NOT been deconfirmed. Those articles are based on a statement which was taken out of context in a speculation video. The same guy, whom the article is based on, even speculated that Sora could be a possible reveal, which he wouldn't have done if he knew that Disney was preventing Nintendo from letting him join Smash bros.

D

Deleted member

this is fake news, hes not deconfirmed,

this video can explain it better then me!
Huh. Well either way, it'd still be kinda weird having Snake interact with someone who's literally teamed up with Donald Duck and Goofy in his life. I'm not saying Disney OWNS Sora, either, just that they have a big part of his legal usage. They own like half of the world, they could probably buy Nintendo out in seconds, I'm pretty sure they'd at least need to sort something out.

Also, I'm not very active on here, so I probably won't see your comments at a good time. Sorry...

Last edited by a moderator:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Personally, I'm hoping for a KH game that caters solely to the hardcore players. Not only could the plot be dark, the gameplay could be brutal. Since Birth by Sleep, I have always wanted Isa to star in his own game. That said, I think a dark plot and a brutal difficulty would suit him perfectly. I really enjoyed the data Organisation battles, and would like to see a KH game where every battle--both bosses and regular--had that level of difficulty.
why?

Huh. Well either way, it'd still be kinda weird having Snake interact with someone who's literally teamed up with Donald Duck and Goofy in his life. I'm not saying Disney OWNS Sora, either, just that they have a big part of his legal usage. They own like half of the world, they could probably buy Nintendo out in seconds, I'm pretty sure they'd at least need to sort something out.

Also, I'm not very active on here, so I probably won't see your comments at a good time. Sorry...
no they do own sora

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But... That's already happened in smash.

Cloud's a supporting character in this series.
Is KH canon, though? I haven't seen any proof of it being that way. Cloud in Smash is the same one from the main series.

If it is canon, then hush my mouth!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Is KH canon, though? I haven't seen any proof of it being that way. Cloud in Smash is the same one from the main series.

If it is canon, then hush my mouth!
Kingdom Hearts is canon to the Kingdom Hearts storyline and nothing else

That said, Snake can choke literal children and animals in this game, so I don't see this as a big stretch.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Kingdom Hearts is canon to the Kingdom Hearts storyline and nothing else

That said, Snake can choke literal children and animals in this game, so I don't see this as a big stretch.
smash isnt canon so i dont think it matters
Pretty much, lol. Even the power levels of the characters aren't canon, otherwise we would have some ridiculous broken stuff in the game.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Somewhat hopeful news, or a pr stunt to attempt some kind of damage control on their image due to that Sora rumor going around. However, this is somewhat positive news in an indirect way.
You would think with this mentality that they would be slightly more inclined to use the KH property.

https://screenrant.com/disney-classic-properties-games-new-developers-innovation-dice/
Really good stuff. If anything this would shut up a bunch of idiots' mouths for sure, when regarding about how "difficult" disney is to work with, lol. And if we add to the equation that Nintendo and Disney are close buddies as it is ( I mean, look at all the games nintendo publishes for them seriously lol ), well, you know what I mean lol

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Somewhat hopeful news, or a pr stunt to attempt some kind of damage control on their image due to that Sora rumor going around. However, this is somewhat positive news in an indirect way.
You would think with this mentality that they would be slightly more inclined to use the KH property.

https://screenrant.com/disney-classic-properties-games-new-developers-innovation-dice/
I can confidently say that Disney couldn't care less about how angry our little community is. So this definitely isn't a pr stunt. With that being said, whether or not it inspires hope in Sora's inclusion is a pretty shaky sentiment.

On one hand, this is just makes it easier to deny any claim that Disney is going to get in the way of Sora's inclusion, on the other hand, this could also insinuate that they're just now having a change of heart on the subject. Y'know AFTER the decision's been made for the 2nd fighers pass.

The article also brings up the successes of games like Spiderman or Star wars Jedi: Fallen order, making it seem like this is just business as usual. Personally, I think that this is all interesting news, but I can't say it does much in the discussion of Sora's chances of joining smash. At it's best we can use it as a deterrent for comments like "Game informer said that Disney doesn't want him in the game".

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well if nothing else we may get some interesting games if anyone takes them up on that

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I can confidently say that Disney couldn't care less about how angry our little community is. So this definitely isn't a pr stunt. With that being said, whether or not it inspires hope in Sora's inclusion is a pretty shaky sentiment.

On one hand, this is just makes it easier to deny any claim that Disney is going to get in the way of Sora's inclusion, on the other hand, this could also insinuate that they're just now having a change of heart on the subject. Y'know AFTER the decision's been made for the 2nd fighers pass.

The article also brings up the successes of games like Spiderman or Star wars Jedi: Fallen order, making it seem like this is just business as usual. Personally, I think that this is all interesting news, but I can't say it does much in the discussion of Sora's chances of joining smash. At it's best we can use it as a deterrent for comments like "Game informer said that Disney doesn't want him in the game".
Tbh we don't know when was this decided in-doors. They might have just decided to go public with it now but maybe they have been making this decision for a while and still sora in smash could be one of the examples they would give about such statement. Maybe they already were open to it behind the scenes with such companies such as nintendo. We just don't know when did they really decide this outside of the recent PR talk. And honestly, even without this, Sora really didn't have such thing as an obstacle and we all know it. It's the same with any other 3rd party character ppl want, it's up to nintendo to go towards the owners and for the owners to say yes as well. Disney coming out to say this now might be just confirming something they were already open to do but was never stated straightforwardly.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Question I feel would work best here:

So the 1.5 + 2.5 Final Mix and 2.8 games just went up on Xbox and I was wondering if it was worth diving into the series as someone who has only played 3?

TriggerX

Smash Ace
2 is probably my favorite to be honest with you.

1 is great because it started it all. But I really feel like 2 expanded and added on to what already made the first game great.

3 was good, but it added and took away some good gameplay elements from the previous. my biggest gripe with 3 is that they made the game seem more linear and really rushed you to the ending. Which is weird considering the levels are a lot more massive than the previous titles.
But they essentially give you little reason to return to older worlds.

Also the secret ending from the first game is probably the best secret ending to date if you ask me.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Question I feel would work best here:

So the 1.5 + 2.5 Final Mix and 2.8 games just went up on Xbox and I was wondering if it was worth diving into the series as someone who has only played 3?
If you enjoyed 3 then go for it. The games closest to how 3 plays are KH1, KH2, and 0.2, but they all have their own unique mechanics. The rest of the games use the command deck system which focuses on customization, but sacrifices balance and fluidity. CoM is entirely it's own thing.

One last thing, all of the Remixes have had different bugs on different platforms. On PS3 1.5 had sound problems, and could sometimes load scrambled text in text boxes for conversations, subtitles, and menus. 2.5 also had sound problems, some loading issues, and a few broken hit boxes, but it most infamously exaggerated a rare bug from the original that would prevent a critical reaction command from appearing in the final battle. The PS4 versions of these games fixed very few of these problems, and created a huge number of new ones because they ran at higher frame rates than intended. This broke game physics, caused certain attack animations to play at double the speed, and broke tracking on several bosses attacks. These problems were mostly fixed around a year after release with a couple of patches released back to back. The first fixed a bunch of issues, but created new ones, and the second fixed the problems caused by the first patch. If it weren't for the upcoming release of KH3 the PS4 version would've likely never been touched.

For these reasons I would recommend waiting just a bit to see how the xbox versions are. I've heard there's some new quality of life features not present in the PS4 version, which means Square has done some additional work, and hopefully some bug fixing. This is promising, but Square has a history of creating new problems in these exact games. But hey, third time's the charm right?

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
So, in KH Sora has crazy aerial combos.(Flowmotion, was it?) If he gets in, will it be nerfed a bit?

Top Bottom